Glasgow Guide Home

Whats On Glasgow Guide
  Glasgow What's On

Glasgow Reviews

Glasgow Gallery

Glasgow Links
Discuss | Guestbook | Postcard | News | Weather | Feedback | Search | About | What's New
Glasgow Guide Discussion Boards

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )                >> View Today's Topics <<

30 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 5 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Cowcaddens
Heather
post 23rd Nov 2008, 02:53pm
Post #31

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 664
Quite a few years ago I also took a walk about the Cowcaddens then up to North Woodside Road and was dismayed to discover that St. Joseph's Chapel had been demolished.

My sister in America wanted a picture of St. Joseph's Primary School because no one would believe her that the playground was on the roof of the School. It was the same with the boys Primary school.

Friends find it hard to believe that I was never in a mixed class all through school. All though the Infant School was mixed, there were too many girls started at the same time so my class was all girls, and the girls and boys Primary schools were separate.

Recently I have been thinking about taken another walk up the Cowcaddens, I think it's that nostalgia that comes with age.
I also want to see if the stairs in Possil Road still lead into Hamiltonhill Road where my Granny Curran lived at NO. 35.

--------------------
Heather.......I'm tartan. Alba gu Brath. Saor Alba
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
colin Campbell
post 24th Nov 2008, 12:21pm
Post #32

Unpacking
Member No.: 6,249
hi, does anyone remember a street in Cowcaddens called Oakbank Street? My dad, who recently passed away lived there as a child and as a young man. I am trying to find out as much about his early life as i can but have had little luck so far - even the mitchell library online had nothing. His name was John Campbell and he went to Oakbank School around 1935-36 and St. George's School around 1941/42. If anyone can help with any of this I would be very grateful.

thanks

+Quote Post
Heather
post 24th Nov 2008, 12:31pm
Post #33

Mega City Key Holder
Colin, we moved from the Cowcaddens when I was still at school. But as I remember, Oakbank Street was further up the Garscube Road heading towards Maryhill or about the Round Toll, one of my Uncle's lived there.

--------------------

+Quote Post
colin Campbell
post 24th Nov 2008, 12:37pm
Post #34

Unpacking
Member No.: 6,249
thanks heather,

that gives me a couple more leads to pursue. god bless

+Quote Post
posso-punter
post 17th Mar 2009, 04:12pm
Post #35

Resident
Member No.: 6,659

+Quote Post
hudggy
post 17th Mar 2009, 05:52pm
Post #36

Lord Provost
Member No.: 2,399
Hi Colin Campbell,

I do not beleive there was an Oakbank Street but there was an Oakbank Terrace. Right across
from Oakbank School my uncle lived there for quite while in the forties and fifties
before moving to Barmulloch.

Regards Hudggy

--------------------
When the next lorry comes i'll get a Hudggy

+Quote Post
vinnie
post 11th May 2009, 08:36pm
Post #37

Visitor
Member No.: 5,308
QUOTE (posso-punter @ 17th Mar 2009, 04:41pm) *

vinnie here i am trying to download a photo of Garscube Rd ,i don't know how this is done

+Quote Post
Heather
post 11th May 2009, 10:25pm
Post #38

Mega City Key Holder
In the picture above Stow College is in Shamrock Street and on the other side of the Bank is New City Road which runs to Cowcaddens Street at one end and St. George's Road at the other.

I lived in Shamrock Street for the first few years I was married at the St. George's Road end, the part that was demolished to make way for the M8.

--------------------

+Quote Post
vinnie
post 17th May 2009, 05:46pm
Post #39

Visitor
Member No.: 5,308
Hey Heather i added a picture of Garscube rd in the Gallery section do you know where this location is?

+Quote Post
Dimairt
post 17th May 2009, 06:54pm
Post #40

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 1,616
"do not beleive there was an Oakbank Street but there was an Oakbank Terrace. Right across
from Oakbank School my uncle lived there for quite while in the forties and fifties"

Sorry a'charaid, Oakbank St was one down from the Terrace on the way to the Round Toll. Funnily enough, I just met my current squeeze's sister-in-law, she came from Oakbank St. and I've e-mailed her the snaps I'm posting here.
I lived in Oakbank Terrace,went to Oakbank School and now live in Grovepark. If you click on Dimairt, to the left of this message, you'll get a list of all my postings, many of which have snaps of the area. If you have any snaps of the Terrace, or the area,please post them. If you have any requests, just ask and I'll see what I have in the archives.
Le durachd,

Eddy

Attached thumbnail(s)

Attached Image

Attached image(s)
Attached Image

+Quote Post
Dimairt
post 17th May 2009, 07:12pm
Post #41

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 1,616
Vinnie,
Interesting snap. Where did you get it? I think that it's Garscube Rd heading up to the the Round Toll.
If you look at the the white band to the left of the pic, it could be the shoe shop in the first pic. The building to the right of the three figures could be Dearie's pub. What do you think?
Heather, I've added a wee snap of New City Rd for you. Is this the building you lived in?

Le durachd,
Eddy

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached image(s)
Attached Image

+Quote Post
DOLKIN
post 17th May 2009, 09:50pm
Post #42

Lord Provost
Member No.: 5,372
eddy third photo mcfaulds bakers was that on maryhill rd or maybe later in my day went there for years best pies in maryhill used to watch them making them anybody remember this was there until mid 80s facing taggarts

+Quote Post
hudggy
post 17th May 2009, 11:07pm
Post #43

Lord Provost
Member No.: 2,399
Hi ,

The first photo before the one of the round toll I believe is looking down garscube road towards the round toll round about Oakbank Terrace.
The one after the round toll is Griffins pub behind that used to be the Pheonix\ Civic picturehouse.

Hudggy

--------------------
When the next lorry comes i'll get a Hudggy

+Quote Post
27stowst
post 18th May 2009, 12:45am
Post #44

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 6,716
The first pic is of the Round Toll and the shoe shop with the white band is High Walk. Just above that is Jimmy Hempseed's pawnshop which I worked in for a few years. Loved that job. McFaulds bakery pic is on New City Road on the same side as the school was.

--------------------
Slainte Mhor

+Quote Post
27stowst
post 18th May 2009, 12:50am
Post #45

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 6,716
Sorry, just noticed that Dolkin says McFaulds on Maryhill Road. I bow to his/her superior knowledge. I'm jist a confused auld wumman. sad.gif

Sorry, just noticed that Dolkin says McFaulds on Maryhill Road. I bow to his/her superior knowledge. I'm jist a confused auld wumman. sad.gif

--------------------
Slainte Mhor

+Quote Post

30 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 5 > » 
Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd Oct 2017

All material in the site Glasgow Guide is copyright of the Glasgow Guide Organisation. This material is for your own private use only, and no part of the site may be reproduced, amended, modified, copied, or transmitted to third parties, by any means whatsoever without the prior written permission of the copyright owner. All rights reserved.

Glasgow Hotels: book cheap hotels in Glasgow online now.