Glasgow Guide Home

Whats On Glasgow Guide
  Glasgow What's On

Glasgow Reviews

Glasgow Gallery

Glasgow Links
Discuss | Guestbook | Postcard | News | Weather | Feedback | Search | About | What's New
Glasgow Guide Discussion Boards

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )                >> View Today's Topics <<

4 Pages V  « < 2 3 4  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Bridgeton
*Guest*
post 12th Apr 2014, 05:41pm
Post #46

QUOTE (benny @ 14th Jun 2010, 02:10pm) *
I never lived in Brigton, but have many family ties with the area. My Da - Charlie O'Hara - was born in Bernard Street in 1913, and my Ma - Lizzie Downs - was born in Landressy Street in 1912, although she later lived "up the pend" in Main Street until her marriage. My paternal Great Grandad lived in Orr Street, my paternal Grannie lived in Reid Street and, later, Abercrombie Street. I had aunties in Poplin Street (aunti Sophie Leishman nee Gemmel) and Norman Street (auntie Katie Kinloch nee O'Hara), sisters in Baltic Street and Ruby Street, and one of my brother in laws - John Tabor - also came from Poplin Street.

Various other family members lived in the area at different times, so I knew the auld Brigton reasonably well, although ah might get lost in the modern day area. Ah lived in Cranhill so it wis a short hop on the bus tae Brigton an civilisation. Ah joined Landressy Street library when ah wis 14 and had many a happy day browsin through the books then gaun ower tae the wee sweetie shop opposite fur ma pun o chocolate drops an pun o jap desserts before ah went up the road. (Aye, ye're right - ah am a fat git! laugh.gif ) Later, when ah took up the vile weed, ah used tae go tae the wee tobacconists at Brigton Cross tae try aw the different fags - it used tae stock French and American ciggies amongst others. Later again, when ah took up drinkin, ah used tae pop intae the Dominion furra couple before gaun tae Crombie the licensed grocer furra kerry oot then doon tae ma cousin's at Balloch, via the train frae Brigton Cross station.

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
barbiegirl
post 1st Aug 2014, 01:19pm
Post #47

Visitor
Member No.: 8,031
I was conceived at a Hogmany party in 1965 at the Great Western Road high flats in Glasgow. The evening had started in Curlers Bar before Ronnie Gordon an Engineer gave out the invites. 9 months later I was adopted to a family in 1966. My birth dad found out somehow and went to my birth mums door in Drumchapel just hours after I had been given away. His name was Brian (surname unknown). He would have been about 19 back then and only about 5' 4" or 5". A fashionable dresser, and wore a smart green duffel coat. Ronald sadly died a few years ago and I'm unable to get any further information there. Another lady at the party was Joan Watson from Cloan Ave, Drumchapel. She emigrated to Canada and became a nurse. My birth mum has no more information to give. I believe Brian may have been a friend of George Harwood a Painter & Decorator from Pendeen Crescent, Barlanark. He sadly has passed away also. Does this ring a bell with anyone? My real dad knew about me and could never do anything to find me. 47 years on can you help me find him please? I would be very grateful and maybe you could PM me if you have any information. Many thanks.

+Quote Post
dizzybint
post 6th Aug 2014, 12:28pm
Post #48

Lord Provost
Member No.: 9,116
I see the auld Kings picture hoose hiz been made intae a play area fur weans... at least its still staunin... unlike other picture halls in the area.. it wiz a roller skating rink at the start then a drill hall it seems before becoming a pictures..a mind gaun ther often.. it wiz always smelly wae horrible toilets that were overlfowing, they used tae come roon spraying ye wae disinfectant while the picture wiz oan.... aw ye seen whiz a mist coming ower ye...but it wiz cheaper than the Olympia.. so we still went and held in the toilet till we goat hame... things like that widnae be allowed noo. the place wid be shut doon..... the Olympia wiz always toffy and well kept.. a loved it in there and fae a wiz a wean a wanted a white toilet seat as the two toilets in the olympia hid them... a didnae aspire tae much did ah hahahaha.

+Quote Post
*jemma mcginlay*
post 5th Dec 2014, 11:46pm
Post #49

Hey my names Jemma Mcginlay.

My grandad attended Dalmarnock primary school and I'm trying to trace a few things. His name was Alexander Mcginlay, though he was known as Sandy.

I know he was in the newspaper as he actually rescued some kids with his friend from a collapsed air raid shelter. Does anyone recall this or even amazingly remember him?

Thanks x

+Quote Post
taurus
post 6th Dec 2014, 11:27pm
Post #50

Super Lord Provost
Member No.: 12,391
I remember sitting in the Kings watching the picture and it was interrupted by the loudest screaming,so of course that was far more interesting then the movie. it was a young girl locked in the toilet(poor bugger) and she screamed the place down until she was rescued. of course everyone was looking to see who the unlucky soul was and it was a girl who went to my school,Jean Casey.She had the reddest wavy hair ,and of course her face was the same colour as her hair with all her trauma. We put up with the stinky toilets for they got good pictures,the Jolson Story,(the queue was away down James St and round the corner into Landressy St,and The Jane Froman Story,sometimes their pictures were better than the upmarket Olympia.

+Quote Post
dizzybint
post 31st Jan 2015, 10:39pm
Post #51

Lord Provost
Member No.: 9,116
I went to John st school... and passed Logies.. Weaver to Wearer , Russells, Galls Carsons the jewellers, Cooks... The City Bakers, Blairs butchers and a smashing sationery shop near Tullis street next to the cafe where they made great tablet...and the many pubs of course...At the cross we hid Maxwells sweetie shop.. next to the station.. Brighter Homes wallpaper shop.. a bank then the Cactus Bar.. on the other corner wiz Timpsons shoe shop..next to the funeral parlour Considines goin doon Dalmarnock road... Dunsdales before it wiz Woolworths , Dianes hairdressers then further doon wiz Greenlees shoes , a bakers and a lovely light shop nearly facing Heron street.. Further doon the road wiz Carrs shoe shop past the swings. there wiz a Kirkwoods as well.. London road.... from the Cross had a shop that sold bkers stuff, a wee jeweller who sorted watches and a pub, Im sure it was the Station Bar even though there is another one up London road at the Cross.. this one had a door at each end on the london road and Olympia street next to Tommy Gilmours gym... and when they had a lock in and the polis came they would aw run oot the back door..... then it was the Public Halls... then a big factory before the church hall and church at Brook st... facing this was a pub on Heron st corner.. a shop that made interiors but then became the Kleen Eats cafe in the 60s... then Bones the funeral parlour and another shop that sold parts of cars and bikes at the pend.. next ot the railway wall..

+Quote Post
*Angela Morgan*
post 27th Sep 2015, 07:36pm
Post #52

QUOTE (margaret orr @ 17th Feb 2008, 11:01pm) *
I was born in Pentland Place, off the main street in brdgeton, anybody remember it?

+Quote Post
*christine connor*
post 17th Mar 2016, 11:37pm
Post #53

Pentland Place I remember it my great grand-parents lived at 10 Savoy Street from the 1920's till 1960's and my grand-parents from 1920's till just after WW2. I can remember some of the shops but not there names, going through the pen to get to my grt grand-parents house and coming back down when I got my thrupence to spend at the shop just on main street at the pen. We lived in a tenement in Forest Street which was near the gallowgate area, and had an outside toilet on the landing. The buildings at 10 Savoy street were older and had one toilet at the bottom of the close for everyone who lived in it. My grt grand-parents house was burned out by my grt uncle smoking in bed and my faither went to live with my grand-mother in Barrowfield about 1962.

+Quote Post
*Guest*
post 24th Mar 2016, 10:26pm
Post #54

My mothers Father came from Pentland Place in the 1920/30 era. I dont think it exists now.

+Quote Post
**Margaret**
post 28th Mar 2016, 11:54pm
Post #55

QUOTE (Petrella @ 26th Sep 2012, 03:39pm) *
Thanks for jogging my memory Taurus I certainly do remember the wee restaurant in fact they catered for my wedding back in 1951 which was held in a three apartment my Brother in law played the saxophone and the piano.there were few fancy weddings in those days,everything was still rationed after the war even my wedding dress had to be hired from Jane Jove in Bath st.Do you remember the wee woman who used to take in washings in Marquis St.money was tight in those days and anything that earned a few pennies was worth trying,but there were many happy times and it's nice to remember them.Im not sure but was the name of the restaurant Hosie

+Quote Post
**Eileen**
post 28th Mar 2016, 11:54pm
Post #56

Trying once again to find info on my mother Mary McGowan née Callan. Born in 1923 to Isabella Callan née Gray and William Callan. They lived on Grevald Street but my mother never would give us any info as far as siblings etc. She came to the US in the early 1950's and lost touch I guess.

It's very frustrating.

+Quote Post
taurus
post 22nd Jun 2016, 10:18pm
Post #57

Super Lord Provost
Member No.: 12,391
I just noticed this post "Margaret" on the 29th March 2016. I was in Glasgow on that date,so I didn`t read this until now. You didn`t post anything Margaret,are you a Brigton girl () too ?

+Quote Post

4 Pages V  « < 2 3 4
Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 30th May 2017

All material in the site Glasgow Guide is copyright of the Glasgow Guide Organisation. This material is for your own private use only, and no part of the site may be reproduced, amended, modified, copied, or transmitted to third parties, by any means whatsoever without the prior written permission of the copyright owner. All rights reserved.

Glasgow Hotels: book cheap hotels in Glasgow online now.