Glasgow Guide Home

Whats On Glasgow Guide
  Glasgow What's On

Glasgow Reviews

Glasgow Gallery

Glasgow Links
Discuss | Guestbook | Postcard | News | Weather | Feedback | Search | About | What's New
Glasgow Guide Discussion Boards

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )                >> View Today's Topics <<

4 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Bridgeton
GG
post 17th Mar 2007, 03:55pm
Post #1

Administrator
Group Icon
Member No.: 1
Please post your memories of this Glasgow district here...Bridgeton

Were you born here? Did you grow up here?
Did you visit your aunt here? ...or your children?
Was your first home here? Were your children born here?
Did you shop here? Was your favourite cinema here?
Did you go to church here? Was your favourite pub here?
Did you 'romance' here? Did you go to school here?
Do you have a photograph from here?

Come on let us know and immortalise your memories here...Bridgeton

GG.

--------------------
Help: Register :: Login :: Forgot password? :: gg@glasgowguide.co.uk
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Angela Chick
post 19th Apr 2007, 10:18pm
Post #2

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 1,713
Was born in Heron Street, then moved to Fairbairn Street dont have many memories as i left when i was 5 years old, but all my relations still live there and i visited bridgeton for years, but i can remotely remember our house in Fairbairn st up a close in an old tenement biggrin.gif i vaguely recall a steamie think it might have been somewhere near Ruby Street High rise flat not sure on that.

--------------------
Tell it like it is

+Quote Post
margaret orr
post 17th Feb 2008, 10:53pm
Post #3

Unpacking
Member No.: 5,407
I was born in Pentland Place, off the main street in brdgeton, anybody remember it?

+Quote Post
jimmyd
post 18th Feb 2008, 08:17pm
Post #4

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 22
Aye I remember Pentland Place , I was born in Madras St number 45 , l went to Sacred Heart . I have many fond and sad memories of Brigton , we moved to Priesthill when I was 10. I remember not being able to go to sleep , as it was so quiet at night , no caurs runnin up an doon like we had in Brigton. biggrin.gif

--------------------
" If during a lifetime ,you bring happiness and pleasure to just one person ,then your time on earth has been worthwhile indeed ! " Jimmyd

+Quote Post
*GJ*
post 11th Aug 2008, 10:24am
Post #5

Billy Fullerton and the Brigton Billy Boys gang

http://brigton-glesjack.blogspot.com/2008/...on-brigton.html

+Quote Post
Mhoira
post 12th Aug 2008, 09:33pm
Post #6

Super Resident
Member No.: 5,797
My first job if you could call it that was in the Dolphin Art Centre it was on a Y.O.P scheme lol . You were meant to work on these things for 6 months but because I was 15 when I started I was let stay on smile.gif I loved it . A girl who was there lived over the road from it was Roseanne McGlaughlin (excuse me if spelling wrong ) . I have fond memories of that place .

+Quote Post
shennyi
post 27th Dec 2009, 04:11am
Post #7

Unpacking
Member No.: 6,333
QUOTE (GG @ 17th Mar 2007, 03:53pm) *
Please post your memories of this Glasgow district here...Bridgeton

GG.

+Quote Post
shennyi
post 27th Dec 2009, 04:22am
Post #8

Unpacking
Member No.: 6,333
[font="Comic Sans MS"][/font]
QUOTE (GG @ 17th Mar 2007, 03:53pm) *
Please post your memories of this Glasgow district here...Bridgeton I lived in Bridgeton from 1964 to 1972. Left 59 Megan st when I was 8. My house got pulled down and we moved to Anderston. I went Sacred Heart Primary, My mum worked in Carmichaels fruit shop on the Main st. I remember Taylors which sold toys..city bakeries...russell Stores hardware shop,there was a music shop, isabel towns,a launderette,carsons the jewellers,curleys and the ham shop...i remember all these shops on the Main st.

GG.

+Quote Post
*paula*
post 9th May 2010, 05:40pm
Post #9

I remember Bridgets shop on old Dalmarnock road, we sqauted up above it in the old tenement. I remember the old bed in the wall, the toilet outside and the old sink in the kitchen. We moved from there when i was five,.

+Quote Post
cab
post 14th Jun 2010, 11:16am
Post #10

Unpacking
Member No.: 8,370
I am trying to find some information on William Niven Johnson he may have been called Willie, Will or Bill and his brother Frank David Johnson. William was born in 1931 and I believe was possibly in the RAF and stationed in Germany in the middle 1950s. After his time in the forces I think that he became a travelling salesman and would often visit the Kennedy family in Nottingham. His brother Frank was born in 1938 and both their births are registered as Bridgeton

Thanks

+Quote Post
TeeHeeHee
post 14th Jun 2010, 12:28pm
Post #11

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 6,448
My recollections of Bridgeton are few and far between since I lived well out of town. My mammy and I always accompanied a neighbouring family on their regular visits to their kin there so as a post-war child being brought up in Blantyre I was regularly exposed to tenement life. Trips to the Barras and Paddy's Market were nearly always a part of this, for us kids, extra terrestrial visit ... it really was another world.
After school in '59 my first job was in Farme Cross which brought me into contact again with Bridgeton for a couple of years but it was later in '66 when I was going, again, with a Catholic girl who was a teen sweetheart that I was re-introduced to Bridgeton. We had found a single-end there where she could hide from her husband after splitting up from him. I had already signed up to join the RAF so she'd be on her own for a while but the local lads and lassies from the Fleet were looking after her ... and gave me, Maureen's Prod, safe passage.
One time, on leave and the morning after a long night, one of the guys says, Hey, Tee. They lookin' for you? I look out the window down onto the street and see an RAF Police Land-Rover pulled up outside a close on the other side of the street. Two snowdrops, so called because of the white cover worn on the top of their uniform hats; and snoops for short) leave the vehicle unattended and rush into the close; obviously got a tip on someone who'd gone AWOL (Absent With Out Leave).
By the time they came back out of the close with the luckless airmen All wheels had been removed from their Land-Rover which was left standing on 4 piles of bricks.
The re-union with Maureen was short lived and my relationship with Bridgeton also came to an end back then, '67, But I missed Bridgeton and the laughs I had back then with the gang. Maureen? Well, you don't miss women when you're 23 tongue.gif biggrin.gif

--------------------
"Destiny is a good thing to accept when it's going your way. When it isn't, don't call it destiny; call it injustice, treachery, or simple bad luck.”
― Joseph Heller, God Knows

+Quote Post
benny
post 14th Jun 2010, 01:53pm
Post #12

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 8,059
I never lived in Brigton, but have many family ties with the area. My Da - Charlie O'Hara - was born in Bernard Street in 1913, and my Ma - Lizzie Downs - was born in Landressy Street in 1912, although she later lived "up the pend" in Main Street until her marriage. My paternal Great Grandad lived in Orr Street, my paternal Grannie lived in Reid Street and, later, Abercrombie Street. I had aunties in Poplin Street (aunti Sophie Leishman nee Gemmel) and Norman Street (auntie Katie Kinloch nee O'Hara), sisters in Baltic Street and Ruby Street, and one of my brother in laws - John Tabor - also came from Poplin Street.

Various other family members lived in the area at different times, so I knew the auld Brigton reasonably well, although ah might get lost in the modern day area. Ah lived in Cranhill so it wis a short hop on the bus tae Brigton an civilisation. Ah joined Landressy Street library when ah wis 14 and had many a happy day browsin through the books then gaun ower tae the wee sweetie shop opposite fur ma pun o chocolate drops an pun o jap desserts before ah went up the road. (Aye, ye're right - ah am a fat git! laugh.gif ) Later, when ah took up the vile weed, ah used tae go tae the wee tobacconists at Brigton Cross tae try aw the different fags - it used tae stock French and American ciggies amongst others. Later again, when ah took up drinkin, ah used tae pop intae the Dominion furra couple before gaun tae Crombie the licensed grocer furra kerry oot then doon tae ma cousin's at Balloch, via the train frae Brigton Cross station.

--------------------
Derea derego fortibus es in aro

+Quote Post
*williamrobertson*
post 1st Aug 2010, 05:38pm
Post #13

QUOTE (margaret orr @ 18th Feb 2008, 12:03am) *
I was born in Pentland Place, off the main street in brdgeton, anybody remember it?

my sister in law used to stay in pentland place and i was wondering where it was

+Quote Post
**Ben Aligan 3**
post 13th Aug 2010, 10:50pm
Post #14

I grew up in Madras St. in the early 1950's and went to John St Primary (my ma thought it was posher than the local Rumford St Primary) and went on to attend John St Secondary (the old building). There was still an air-raid shelter in Madras St when I was wee and we used to dare each other to run through it. There was a mill up a wee lane that made some kind of linen material (maybe madras cloth...maybe that's how the street got its name...because it used to be called Scott St). At the other end of Madras St. was Mill St. with McPhun's saw mill, which used to sound its hooter every weeknight at 5pm. In the Main St there was a wee bakery (you went through a close into a back court) and late at night there would be a big queue of people waiting to buy bags of hot rolls fresh from the oven. There was the 'Wee Dan Doyle'...The Wee Royal...a flea-pit of a cimema in the Main St where you could get in for sixpence and a couple of jam-jars. The Kings picture hall was in James St (near the Greenhead St end) and the Olympia picture hall was at Brigton Cross (this was the posh cinema and had draped silken curtains that came down over the screen). My grandfather kept a large model sailboat in a special lock-up in the Richmond Park and I went with him to sail it on the pond. I remember standing on Shawfield Bridge watching a triumphant Clyde football team coming over the bridge in an open-topped double decker, after winning what I think must have been the Scottish Cup...the place was mobbed. The 'Penny Pony Man' used to come into the street with a pony and trap and charge us a penny for a ride. There were the back-court singers (after they'd sung, folk would open their windows and throw them out some money). Down and out men would often come come round the doors begging for food...my ma was a great one for giving them a bowl of home-made soup. The lamp-lighters would come round to light the stair-head gas lamps during the winter nights. I remember going with my brother to the local gas-works with a tin bath on wheels to collect char for the fire (this helped to supplement the coal).

+Quote Post
dizzybint
post 20th Oct 2010, 05:13pm
Post #15

Lord Provost
Member No.: 9,116
QUOTE (benny @ 14th Jun 2010, 02:49pm) *
I never lived in Brigton, but have many family ties with the area. My Da - Charlie O'Hara - was born in Bernard Street in 1913, and my Ma - Lizzie Downs - was born in Landressy Street in 1912, although she later lived "up the pend" in Main Street until her marriage. My paternal Great Grandad lived in Orr Street, my paternal Grannie lived in Reid Street and, later, Abercrombie Street. I had aunties in Poplin Street (aunti Sophie Leishman nee Gemmel) and Norman Street (auntie Katie Kinloch nee O'Hara), sisters in Baltic Street and Ruby Street, and one of my brother in laws - John Tabor - also came from Poplin Street.

Various other family members lived in the area at different times, so I knew the auld Brigton reasonably well, although ah might get lost in the modern day area. Ah lived in Cranhill so it wis a short hop on the bus tae Brigton an civilisation. Ah joined Landressy Street library when ah wis 14 and had many a happy day browsin through the books then gaun ower tae the wee sweetie shop opposite fur ma pun o chocolate drops an pun o jap desserts before ah went up the road. (Aye, ye're right - ah am a fat git! laugh.gif ) Later, when ah took up the vile weed, ah used tae go tae the wee tobacconists at Brigton Cross tae try aw the different fags - it used tae stock French and American ciggies amongst others. Later again, when ah took up drinkin, ah used tae pop intae the Dominion furra couple before gaun tae Crombie the licensed grocer furra kerry oot then doon tae ma cousin's at Balloch, via the train frae Brigton Cross station.

knew a Sid Ohara fae Bernard st, he married ma cousin Margaret in the sixties.

+Quote Post

4 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 21st Oct 2017

All material in the site Glasgow Guide is copyright of the Glasgow Guide Organisation. This material is for your own private use only, and no part of the site may be reproduced, amended, modified, copied, or transmitted to third parties, by any means whatsoever without the prior written permission of the copyright owner. All rights reserved.

Glasgow Hotels: book cheap hotels in Glasgow online now.