Glasgow Guide Home

Whats On Glasgow Guide
  Glasgow What's On

Glasgow Reviews

Glasgow Gallery

Glasgow Links
Discuss | Guestbook | Postcard | News | Weather | Feedback | Search | About | What's New
Glasgow Guide Discussion Boards

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )                >> View Today's Topics <<

9 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 5 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Blackhill
*william macphailco*
post 6th Jan 2010, 11:21pm
Post #31

[hi my name is william macphail i was born at home 8 acrehill st blackhill in 1943 i lived there untill i got married in 1962 i remember john and briget mcphail who lived at 18 acrehill st and moved to craigendmuir st thay had two sons one was called ronnie aND I THINK THE YOUNGER WAS TOM RONNIE PLAYED THE ACORDION AND SOME TIMES BUSKTED ROUND THE BACK COURTS MY DAS NAME WAS JOHN AND MY MUM WAS LIZZIE I O L I LEFT BLACKHILL IN 1962 AND MOVED TO A CONDEMED BUILDING IN COWCADENNS THAY SAY BLACKHILL WAS BAD THAYSHOULD HAVE COME HERE A SINGLEND HOOSE NAY HOT WATER CLUDGIE OOT IN THE STAIR SHARED BY OTHERS ON THE SAME LANDING GAS LIGHT ON THE CLOSE AND STAIR HAD TO GO TO THE PUBLIC BATHS FOR A WASH AND MY WIFE SADIE HAD TO GO TO THE STEAMIE TODO THE CLOTHES MOVED BACK TO BLACKHILL IN 1965 TO A HOUSE IN CRAIGENDMUIR ST NO 22 AND IT WAS LIKE HAVEN HOT WATER BATHROOM TO OUR SELFS AND LOTS OF FRIENDLY PEOPLE WEE LIVED THERE UNTILL 1968 WHEN MY WIFE AND I AND OUR 3 CHIDREN MOVED TO CUMBERNAULD I TELL MY GRAND CHILDREN STOREIS ABOUT BLACKHILL AND HOW I AM PROUD OF MY UP BRINGING IF THIS WEE STORIE BRINGS SOME MEMORIES PLEASE REPLY HOPE TO HERE FROM YOU BY BY
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
johnm
post 1st Apr 2010, 08:11am
Post #32

Unpacking
Member No.: 8,331
QUOTE (patricia mcdade @ 20th Aug 2009, 11:07am) *
Hi all I was born in 1973, me and my brothers Frany and JoJo were raised in 25 maryston st. My Dad was John McDade but usually refered to as Daity McDade not Dante Alex McDade people get them mixed up. His brothers and sisters were all raised in 39 craigendmuir st (Mick , Rae, Margret and Cathy Mcdade). My mum nee Lesley Nee Griffin were also raised in Maryston st along with her two sisters Margret and Patsy Griffin. Their mum and Dad were Rab and Winnie Griffin who later moved onto 57 Provanmill Rd and then Gala St Riddrie where I now live in their old house. My mums Grandparents also lived in 25 Maryston st Jimmy Whelan And Isabella Whelan , their kids were Winnie Whelan( my Grandmother) James ,Cathy, Lexi and Jean. My Great Grand mother Isabella was German and I would love too hear from anyone who knew any of my family. Cheers BYT

i lived with my granda in 17 maryston st went to riddrie 1963 my granda was well known his name was johnny morrell and my dad was called peter he worked in the gas works and i dont know if you remember there used to be an old guy called the dummy who used to cut your hair at his house

+Quote Post
*irene murphy*
post 4th May 2010, 05:51am
Post #33

I did not live in Blackhill but does anyone know a Joe McClafferty from there would be around 68 years olf went to the Dennistoun Palais and Crossmyloof ice rink also knew Tommy McBain who sang with the Jack Anderson band at the palais

+Quote Post
**Tricia**
post 8th Jun 2010, 12:57pm
Post #34

QUOTE (rondo @ 6th Sep 2009, 02:29pm) *
i was brought up in good auld blackhill have many great memories of the place and still came home here after moving away and my daughter was born here my mum was brought up along side her family and for many its a brill place its had its probs over the yrs but no more than many other scheemes i wrote a small book about my mories and have some good pics of the place its not in print something i did for my grankids but to me its speacil and i want them to know how it was wen i was small so il keep looking for memeories to share as the place has a speacil place in my heart

Hello Rondo

My name is Tricia. I was brought up in blackhill from the age of ten. I lived on the top floor flat of 2 Cranhill Street with my mum and dad. Our building ended up being the only one in the street, it was the corner close. My maiden name was Burns my dad was John Burns and my mum was Edith. My dad was brought up in Blackhill with his brothers and sisters on Craigendmuir Street. I had a big cousin Jannie Burns who lived with my uncle Frank and my aunty May.

I never really hung around or went out to play there very mutch as I was very quiet. Blackhill has a very special place in my heart. My mum and dad lived there untill our building was pulled down in 1992. I wish I had more photos of it. I remmember Harry Cambells shop very well and the ice cream van. When I tell people I was brought up there those who have heard of it always look at me with horror in their eyes and say "Oh that must have been very scary..." I tell them "No it was not scary. It was hard in that it was a very poor and gray place to live but most of the people there were good honest folk just trying to get by and I can honestly say I never had any trouble from anyone. nor did my family or anyone who came to visit me there"

Just thought I would say hello

Tricia x

+Quote Post
*TIM Kid*
post 22nd Aug 2010, 09:00pm
Post #35

QUOTE (TJM Kid @ 8th Sep 2009, 02:20am) *
What year did you live there? My parents moved to Canada in 1972 so they were at 11 Craigendmuir before we moved.

My parents were born in 1945. They were in Blackhill till they moved to Canada in 1972.

+Quote Post
*TJM Kid*
post 22nd Aug 2010, 09:08pm
Post #36

QUOTE (neil mclean @ 22nd Nov 2009, 04:16pm) *
hi
my name is neil mclean my granparents were neil & agnes mccrimmon from 59 craigendmuir st, i am mary mccrimmons eldest son, i have a younger brother and a younger sister, i believe my grandmother was a friend of mrs boyle, i remember her speaking highly of her, my mums sisters are betty & jean who sadly passed away at a young age due to illness, mum was pleased to see ur post and sends regards to the family

Ijust sent my mom your post. She will be thrilled!my mom's sister Cathy, married jack McLean. Any relation to you? Are you still in Scotland?

+Quote Post
*TJM Kid*
post 22nd Aug 2010, 09:32pm
Post #37

[quote name='jean boyle' date='7th Jan 2010, 12:00am' post='277666']
My grandparents lived in Craigendmuir St and they were called Hugh and Margaret Boyle (they had a daughter called Katie). They also had family members who lived in Maryston St. Thought that was a coincidence!!! Would love to hear from

This seems like a major coincidence! Here is some family history from my side;

Great Grandparents: ????
Grandparents: Hugh & Katie Boyle
Kids: Ian Firth, Hugh Boyle, Cathy McLean, Danny Boyle (died young), Wilhelmina (Lily) McPhail (my mom).

My Aunt Cathy & Uncle Jack McLean were on Maryston. 4 kids: Kathleen, John, Caroline &Angie.
my Uncle Ian & Aunt Margret had 3 kids: Elaine, Ian & Brian
I did not know my Uncle Hugh. I think his wife's name was Cathy or maybe Margret.

Do u recognize any of these names?

+Quote Post
*TJM Kid*
post 22nd Aug 2010, 09:40pm
Post #38

QUOTE (william macphail @ 27th Dec 2009, 12:34am) *

hi my name is william macphail i was born at no 8 acrehill st 1943 i believ yourdads perents ounce lived at no 18 acrehill st and later moved to craigendmuir st john and brigit mcphail had two sons the oldest was ronnie who used to play the acordian sorry i cant remember the other sons name 26 12 hope to here from you

The other son you are referring to is my dad! Tom McPhail. there was 3 sister's too ; Mary, Jean & Jan. Sorry for taking so long to respond but I forgot all about this site. You can email me directly at ltherk@rogers.com . My dad will be thrilled to hear this! My parents have been in Canada since 1972. They are retired now and have not been back to Scotland for years.

+Quote Post
*TJM Kid*
post 22nd Aug 2010, 10:02pm
Post #39

QUOTE (william macphailco @ 7th Jan 2010, 12:23am) *
[hi my name is william macphail i was born at home 8 acrehill st blackhill in 1943 i lived there untill i got married in 1962 i remember john and briget mcphail who lived at 18 acrehill st and moved to craigendmuir st thay had two sons one was called ronnie aND I THINK THE YOUNGER WAS TOM RONNIE PLAYED THE ACORDION AND SOME TIMES BUSKTED ROUND THE BACK COURTS MY DAS NAME WAS JOHN AND MY MUM WAS LIZZIE I O L I LEFT BLACKHILL IN 1962 AND MOVED TO A CONDEMED BUILDING IN COWCADENNS THAY SAY BLACKHILL WAS BAD THAYSHOULD HAVE COME HERE A SINGLEND HOOSE NAY HOT WATER CLUDGIE OOT IN THE STAIR SHARED BY OTHERS ON THE SAME LANDING GAS LIGHT ON THE CLOSE AND STAIR HAD TO GO TO THE PUBLIC BATHS FOR A WASH AND MY WIFE SADIE HAD TO GO TO THE STEAMIE TODO THE CLOTHES MOVED BACK TO BLACKHILL IN 1965 TO A HOUSE IN CRAIGENDMUIR ST NO 22 AND IT WAS LIKE HAVEN HOT WATER BATHROOM TO OUR SELFS AND LOTS OF FRIENDLY PEOPLE WEE LIVED THERE UNTILL 1968 WHEN MY WIFE AND I AND OUR 3 CHIDREN MOVED TO CUMBERNAULD I TELL MY GRAND CHILDREN STOREIS ABOUT BLACKHILL AND HOW I AM PROUD OF MY UP BRINGING IF THIS WEE STORIE BRINGS SOME MEMORIES PLEASE REPLY HOPE TO HERE FROM YOU BY BY

Bridget & John were my grandparents. Both have died. Bridget moved to Canada after John died. Ronnie is still in Scotland. Not sure where though. Tom is my dad. He was born in 1945. He has lived in Canada since 1972. Retired for the last 4 or 5 years. My mom's parents were on Craigendmuir; Hugh & Katie Boyle. Both have also passed. My parents lived on Craigendmuir before they moved to Canada. I was born when they lived on Craigendmuir. Me in 1968 & my sister in 1969. My dad had three older sister's; Jan, Jean & Mary. Mary stayed in Scotland, marrying Jimmy Gray. She has passed. jan moved to Canada before we did. She was married to Alex McCready. She has passed too. Jean also moved to Canada before we did. She was married to Charles Marshall but he has passed too.

+Quote Post
*Lily Mc Phail*
post 29th Aug 2010, 03:04pm
Post #40

QUOTE (neil mclean @ 22nd Nov 2009, 04:16pm) *
hi
my name is neil mclean my granparents were neil & agnes mccrimmon from 59 craigendmuir st, i am mary mccrimmons eldest son, i have a younger brother and a younger sister, i believe my grandmother was a friend of mrs boyle, i remember her speaking highly of her, my mums sisters are betty & jean who sadly passed away at a young age due to illness, mum was pleased to see ur post and sends regards to the family

Hi it was nice to see your post my daughter forward it to me I remember your Mum well also Betty & Jean, your grandmother was good friends with my Mum. Give my regards to your Mom

+Quote Post
*Tom Mc Phail*
post 29th Aug 2010, 03:19pm
Post #41

QUOTE (william macphail @ 27th Dec 2009, 12:34am) *

hi my name is william macphail i was born at no 8 acrehill st 1943 i believ yourdads perents ounce lived at no 18 acrehill st and later moved to craigendmuir st john and brigit mcphail had two sons the oldest was ronnie who used to play the acordian sorry i cant remember the other sons name 26 12 hope to here from you

Hi I dont remember to much about when we lived in Acrehill st I was born in 1945, I came to Canada in 72, I retired 5 year ago do a little part time job in a veterans club just to keep busy. I dont know if you remember the Bowere's that lived in Craigendmuir st would like to hear from them.

+Quote Post
*TJM kid*
post 9th Oct 2010, 08:22pm
Post #42

QUOTE (TJM Kid @ 22nd Aug 2010, 10:04pm) *
Ijust sent my mom your post. She will be thrilled!my mom's sister Cathy, married jack McLean. Any relation to you? Are you still in Scotland?

My parents remember your grandparents. Does your mom have a sister Jean? I think Jean used to be friendly with my dad's brother Ronnie. I think Jean has a daughter about my age. My parents would love to hear from you.

+Quote Post
*Guest*
post 9th Oct 2010, 08:31pm
Post #43

QUOTE (johnm @ 1st Apr 2010, 09:07am) *
i lived with my granda in 17 maryston st went to riddrie 1963 my granda was well known his name was johnny morrell and my dad was called peter he worked in the gas works and i dont know if you remember there used to be an old guy called the dummy who used to cut your hair at his house

My parents remember Paddy the dummy. Not eXactly a politically correct name these days considering he was deaf and dumb. He used to cut my grandpa's hair. My dadsaidthere was a Paddy the bleach man who used to sell bleach from his horse and carriage. He also remembers the dirty dozen. A group called the Lindsays.

+Quote Post
*Podutly Maddock*
post 9th Oct 2010, 08:42pm
Post #44

QUOTE (orange peel @ 21st Oct 2009, 02:45pm) *
my maw & da were brought up in blackhill , they met in "the provy" the night celtic won the european cup, my ma is a mccrimmon from 59 craigendmuir street & my da was a mclean from 14 queenslie st, my granda was neily mccrimmon the hawker if anyone can tell me any stories about him that would be great. i still live in blackhill with my wife & wean. go here 4 old blackhill tales http://www.stephaniepiro.com/fc290.htm

My mom & dad remember your grandpa. They said he liked to drink, just like my grandpa!

+Quote Post
*TJM kid*
post 10th Oct 2010, 04:21pm
Post #45

QUOTE (neil mclean @ 22nd Nov 2009, 04:10pm) *
hi

Are you still in Scotland? My parents remember your mom and her sisters. They were sorry to hear about Jean and Agnes. My mom lost her sister Cathy about 10 years ago at a young age too. Her brothers Ian and Hughie are still in Scotland but she does not keep in touch with them. Did your mom's sisters have kids? My parents think Jean had a girl that is ages with me. Thanks for your response.

+Quote Post

9 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 5 > » 
Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th Aug 2017

All material in the site Glasgow Guide is copyright of the Glasgow Guide Organisation. This material is for your own private use only, and no part of the site may be reproduced, amended, modified, copied, or transmitted to third parties, by any means whatsoever without the prior written permission of the copyright owner. All rights reserved.

Glasgow Hotels: book cheap hotels in Glasgow online now.