Glasgow Guide Home

Whats On Glasgow Guide
  Glasgow What's On

Glasgow Reviews

Glasgow Gallery

Glasgow Links
Discuss | Guestbook | Postcard | News | Weather | Feedback | Search | About | What's New
Glasgow Guide Discussion Boards

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )                >> View Today's Topics <<

5 Pages V  « < 3 4 5  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Barlanark
Rating 5 V
peter.howden
post 14th Oct 2016, 08:10pm
Post #61

Super Lord Provost
Member No.: 2,485
Barony of Barlanark,

It has been described as "the halesome parritch, chief `o`Scotia`s food" by the Bard himself, while Samuel Johnston, creator of “A Dictionary of the English Language”; quipped, “a grain which in England is generally given to horses but in Scotland supports the people since at least the 6th century". Of course its Oats, pedigree of porridge they are on about, and although the place we ken as now Barlanark scheme is not as old, however “Barony of Barlanark” it has been around for many a year since 1522, without fear of contradiction.

The inhabitants of both old Barlanark and the so called new Barlanark have and had plenty helpings of the named Scots porridge oats, in their day.

We, who now reside within the boundaries of Barlanark, may not have a grasp of its past antiquity, being a part of a bigger estate in hilly country side, proclaiming one main and strikingly mansion. In this period, scattered around were small meagre dwellings, near hovels of the working folk, proud, but pitifully locked in tied work and accommodation…or so the history book relay, naming W. H. Hill, as the original owner of “Barony of Barlanark” centuries before the big house was built and created

Since the start of mapping the towns, cities and roads, in earnest, there has always been a thoroughfare between the two main towns of Scotland, Glasgow and Edinburgh, helping this particular estate to flourish and with the ever growing Glasgow. The pronouncement to build housing in the countywide of Barlanark, was taken shortly after the last world war, though development began early 1952 because of figures suggesting changing population.

Although coming under the Greater Easterhouse area and banner, so to speak, I would suggest the folk from Barlanark, think of themselves in this manner with an inner strength of community. We are lucky we have two types of churches and two lively schools, one for special needs, a newly built primary school. A small host of shops where you can be tanned, or tan in a can, if that is you’re wanting plus. A central Community hall varies in use as a local social office and play pen for toddlers, plus sequence dancing which would shame the old Barra-land if not the Plaza.

It can also boast a place where normally two types of people are at odds, but lay in peace in a Jewish, combined Asian crematory. It was a very sad loss when the landmark called and used as “the wee library” was forced to close, due to the halls of power, but even sadder when it was learnt it would be demolished… although everyone accepts that there is a price for progress memories still brings a tear.

The community as a whole, are warm, friendly and helpful, although the area is split by having three land lords who encourage tenant expectation as top priority. When any problems emerge, it becomes obvious, the true spirit of Barlanark, rises to overcome any challenge facing the community. Once again, all becomes one, plainly demonstrated a gritty will for the good of all

Some 18 years ago, when the need for a new style health care became dire apparent to even a blind man with a crooked stick, resulted of all community impute, creating a revolutionary health shop with the proud community, ever ready driving force… backed up by a superb staff. All ran a very successful joined up thinking model, plus aiding the elderly especially.

Unfortunately, displaying apathy to their needs, the “The unseen Authorities?”, somewhere in the cossets, circling the drafty corridors, decided without consultation, to pull the necessary funding away, demanding peoples to travel to Easterhouse Health Centre, a very good establishment …but still some distance away. Another Samuel Johnston quotes is; “Integrity without knowledge is weak and useless, and knowledge without integrity is dangerous and dreadful”.

Still the population in Barlanark may not be the rich according to money, but you would travel far to find such a genuine happy and helpful population, even in a city famed for friendliness. There is a good bus service that leaves Barlanark…. but more important, there are plenty buses to bring you home.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
**pauline**
post 17th May 2017, 09:27pm
Post #62

QUOTE (AndyR @ 11th Feb 2012, 08:48pm) *
Hi Heather I see you responed to my Barlanark page ,I went to school with John & Frank McCabe
I also remember May & Arthur ,the middle brother was Joe ,At 1 time I might have delivered your milk as I worked for Pat when I was about 14 ,after that would go to the Greg and fall asleep in class'
Did any of your brothers or sisters have Mrs Kean as their teacher at St Judus ?
We used to steal,totties and roast them when we had bonfires ih the park on Hallhill rd, not sure if you know my sister Jeanette she went to Charlott st next oldest is Bobby remember him going to St Pauls,

John and Frank.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

5 Pages V  « < 3 4 5
Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 27th Jun 2017

All material in the site Glasgow Guide is copyright of the Glasgow Guide Organisation. This material is for your own private use only, and no part of the site may be reproduced, amended, modified, copied, or transmitted to third parties, by any means whatsoever without the prior written permission of the copyright owner. All rights reserved.

Glasgow Hotels: book cheap hotels in Glasgow online now.