Glasgow Guide Home

Whats On Glasgow Guide
  Glasgow What's On

Glasgow Reviews

Glasgow Gallery

Glasgow Links
Discuss | Guestbook | Postcard | News | Weather | Feedback | Search | About | What's New
Glasgow Guide Discussion Boards

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )                >> View Today's Topics <<

5 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Barlanark
Rating 5 V
GG
post 17th Mar 2007, 03:52pm
Post #1

Administrator
Group Icon
Member No.: 1
Please post your memories of this Glasgow district here...Barlanark

Were you born here? Did you grow up here?
Did you visit your aunt here? ...or your children?
Was your first home here? Were your children born here?
Did you shop here? Was your favourite cinema here?
Did you go to church here? Was your favourite pub here?
Did you 'romance' here? Did you go to school here?
Do you have a photograph from here?

Come on let us know and immortalise your memories here...Barlanark

GG.

--------------------
Help: Register :: Login :: Forgot password? :: gg@glasgowguide.co.uk
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
AndyR1
post 12th Apr 2007, 08:05pm
Post #2

Visitor
Member No.: 3,402
I was born in Barlanark and lived there until 1982 when I moved out of the city I have mixed memories of the area some good some bad lol

+Quote Post
Heather
post 13th Apr 2007, 02:40pm
Post #3

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 664
My family moved to Barlanark in April 1953. We moved from a room & kitchen to a 5 apartment semi-detached house. There were 12 of us, 7 girls, 3 boys, mum & dad.

We all loved it, but mum also loved the town and she used to say, " I love my house but I wish it was in the middle of Argyle Street ". rolleyes.gif

There were no shops, schools, Church's, Corporation buses, or cinemas, only house's and ice cream vans.
It was terrible getting on a bus when going to school as we only had the SMT buses and they came through Airdrie, Coatbridge and Bargeddie before reaching Barlanark. Those of us who had to travel into town for school were always late. Although school finished at 4-0-clock it was 5-0-clock before I got home. After the summer holidays the 42 Corporation bus started running, and we were all pushing and shoving to get on, so the powers that be realized they had to run two buses at the same time to accomodate all the children going to school.

There was still a lot of house's being built in Barlanark when we moved there, so we used to go to these house's and climb up them or get into the brickies hud, and someone would pull us up to the top of the building.
We had plenty of fields to play in, and the nearest picture house was in Shettleston. My friend and I went to the State cinema every Monday and we always walked there to save money. We sang all the way to and from the cinema. Usually a crowd of us would go to the State cafe on a Sunday night and spend the last of out pocket money, that's if we had any money left over.
We went to the swing park in Budhill and had good fun there. We had to behave, as the Police Station was across the road from the swing park.

Bicyles were very popular, and we would cycle out to Drumpellier Loch in Coatbridge and all around what to us was the countryside. We were surounded by farms and one farm had a shop where we could buy fresh fruit and veg.

It was great having a front & back garden. The back garden was big, so dad grew a lot of veg and strawberries, but we used to pull the strawberries out and eat them. Dad thought it was the birds, so he put netting over them, but that did not stop us, and dad soon realized where the strawberries were going. laugh.gif

--------------------
Heather.......I'm tartan. Alba gu Brath. Saor Alba

+Quote Post
zenapat
post 25th Jul 2007, 11:12pm
Post #4

Unpacking
Member No.: 4,791
I was born in Barlanark in 1969, i lived there until 2000 then moved to Guernsey in the Channel Islands. I went to St. Judes school and then St. Andrews. I may have left thr Bar-L but you will never take the Bar-L out of me

+Quote Post
musicthom
post 7th Aug 2007, 05:20am
Post #5

Lord Provost
Member No.: 3,810
although i wasnt born in barlanark i found it to be the place for me i lived in bressay rd from 1989 till it was demolished and now live in garvel cr but much has happened since these seem to be the only tennements left the level of repair and service is not good and the amount of youths that wander around like ferral cats causing mayhem whilst being drunk makes it quite a scary place but it has a sence of community i havnt found else where but even that is slowly dissapearing

--------------------

+Quote Post
Heather
post 16th Jul 2008, 08:03pm
Post #6

Mega City Key Holder
Just catching up on these old memories.

Musicthom, as far as I remember Garvel Crescent, is facing Kentallen Road where I lived down at the bottom in No. 4. It's sad to hear of that area not being so good as I remember it being a lovely place to live.

When we moved there in April 1953 Barlanark was just being built, so everything was brand new. I have noticed when passing on the bus a lot of new house's have been built and some others have been modernised.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Mhoira
post 16th Jul 2008, 08:56pm
Post #7

Super Resident
Member No.: 5,797
I am sure an old classmate was from Kentallen rd her name was Christine Cunningham . she went to Cranhill sec.

+Quote Post
Heather
post 8th Sep 2008, 11:31am
Post #8

Mega City Key Holder
I don't remember the name Cunningham.

My younger sisters went to St. Pauls, Shettleston, St. Jude's Barlanark and then St. Andrews or maybe it was St Gregory's.

--------------------

+Quote Post
wee anne
post 22nd Mar 2009, 02:29am
Post #9

Visitor
Member No.: 172
MY MANS BROTHER LIVED IN BARLANARK NAME WAS THOMAS CALMAN,DONT REMEMBER THE STREET BUT IT WAS JUST IN FRONT OF THE EDINBURGH RD,,

+Quote Post
Heather
post 25th Apr 2009, 10:05am
Post #10

Mega City Key Holder
Wee Anne, from what you are saying I think your brother lived in Barlanark Road. Although the name may have been changed now.

--------------------

+Quote Post
**barbara**
post 17th Aug 2009, 11:09pm
Post #11

Heather you said you lived in no. 4 Kentallen Road. My mum and dad lived in no.5 but moved to Inverness about 1985. I was born in Barlanark place and lived there till I left home 1974 to get married, I moved to Shettleston Road, my mum and dad moved to kentallen road then to Inverness where I also live now. Campbell is our name.

+Quote Post
*marie vance*
post 3rd Sep 2009, 12:13pm
Post #12

QUOTE (Heather @ 25th Apr 2009, 10:22am) *
Wee Anne, from what you are saying I think your brother lived in Barlanark Road. Although the name may have been changed now.

hi heather you said you lived in no 4 that was my grans hose and is still in the family x

+Quote Post
Heather
post 20th Nov 2009, 02:31am
Post #13

Mega City Key Holder
Marie, my parents moved to Australia in the late 1960s, so the house was given up as all the family were married by then.

The house was just built when we moved into it. I don't know who moved in after my parents left.
The day we moved in we had to walk a plank where the three stairs at the gate should have been, but the stairs were not fully made. laugh.gif

Barbara, as I remember it, No. 5 was a three apartment.

I have a cousin called Barbara Campbell. smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
bilbo.s
post 20th Nov 2009, 09:18am
Post #14

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 5,582
My mates lived in Kentallen Road- Bill McSorley and Ian Robertson- both would be about 66 now. Bill was latterly a fireman and Ian a sparky with Electricity Board.

Anybody know of them?

--------------------
Just because we disagree doesn't mean I don't like you, and just because I don't like you doesn't mean I disagree with you.

+Quote Post
**barbara**
post 30th Nov 2009, 04:36pm
Post #15

Heather, no 5 was a three apartment. what a coincidence you have a cousin called Barbara Campbell, did she stay in Barlanark?

+Quote Post

5 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd Sep 2017

All material in the site Glasgow Guide is copyright of the Glasgow Guide Organisation. This material is for your own private use only, and no part of the site may be reproduced, amended, modified, copied, or transmitted to third parties, by any means whatsoever without the prior written permission of the copyright owner. All rights reserved.

Glasgow Hotels: book cheap hotels in Glasgow online now.