Glasgow Guide Home

Whats On Glasgow Guide
  Glasgow What's On

Glasgow Reviews

Glasgow Gallery

Glasgow Links
Discuss | Guestbook | Postcard | News | Weather | Feedback | Search | About | What's New
Glasgow Guide Discussion Boards

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )                >> View Today's Topics <<

4 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Balornock
viking
post 31st Jul 2010, 02:12pm
Post #31

Unpacking
Member No.: 8,771
Found this lovely page today as I was "googling" 2 words Menzies and Balornock. I am born in Norway and live in Australia and looking at my family history. My Grate Grandfather was William-John Menzies [b1856] son of Andrew Menzies [b1822] of Balornck, Glasgow and Mary Buchanan. It looks as the Menzies family lived there for some years. The earlist ancester I found there is Andrew Menzies [b c 1653] and his wife Isobell Smith. I am intrested in anyone with links to this family.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
**pollydoodle**
post 31st Jul 2010, 03:15pm
Post #32

QUOTE (arch @ 19th Oct 2007, 01:14pm) *
I moved to Balornock in 1947 as first tenants in the Swedish houses in Lamont Road. Does anyone remember any of the people who lived there then. Working back from number 121 there was the Murray family, the Dixons, the Whites, Harris, Smith, Melvin, Marshall,McBride, Blyth, Devine,. I'm not sure of some of the names after that. I was friends with Fiona McBride from further up the road, and Betty Cousins. I went to Balornock school before going to Albert. My husband moved from Springburn to Lamont Road next door to me. He attended Wellfield School before going to Albert. We married in 1959 and came to Australia with our three kids in 1970. Archie came across this Glasgow guide and we thought it was terrific. Elizabeth Marshall

hi arch very good friends of mine stayed in lamont rd they were called Robert and George Mc Dougall. mothers name was nan dad was angus,they came from Possilpark,we called them aunt and uncle.

+Quote Post
Tennscot
post 31st Jul 2010, 03:36pm
Post #33

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 2,796
QUOTE (viking @ 31st Jul 2010, 03:22pm) *
Found this lovely page today as I was "googling" 2 words Menzies and Balornock. I am born in Norway and live in Australia and looking at my family history. My Grate Grandfather was William-John Menzies [b1856] son of Andrew Menzies [b1822] of Balornck, Glasgow and Mary Buchanan. It looks as the Menzies family lived there for some years. The earlist ancester I found there is Andrew Menzies [b c 1653] and his wife Isobell Smith. I am intrested in anyone with links to this family. Hi, Viking also go to Reminiscences of Springburn. site for more in depth background from locals. Good Luck & welcome

+Quote Post
wellfield
post 1st Aug 2010, 03:46am
Post #34

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 5,235
Hi Viking....I did a short history of the Menzies family...dont know if you're related to the Family I speak of......As mentioned above, go to the Springburn site..The Menzies Family I refer to are the Family that had a large estate and mansion in Balornock..The estate was "Balornock House"and located right by it now is a housing development by the name Menzies..also Menzies Road...The Menzies Family were the owners and operators of the first horse drawn omnibuses in the City of Glasgow(500 units) so they were a very prominent Family...The housing tract we lived in,in Balornock (tract still there) was built on the "Balornock House" estate proprerty,and where we plated as kids is still there called the "Woods" still a wee bit of it left....Good Luck!

+Quote Post
viking
post 1st Aug 2010, 02:31pm
Post #35

Unpacking
Member No.: 8,771
Hi Wellfield
Thanks for you very intresting replay. My Grate grate grandfather Andrew Menzies [b 1822] did lived at Bolornock House. I did find some information about him on a web page "Memoirs and portraits of 100 Glasgow men". I am very intrested in reading your history on the Menzies family and also way you did write about them?
Thankyou

+Quote Post
wellfield
post 2nd Aug 2010, 02:41am
Post #36

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 5,235
Wow' Viking..You come from a Famous Glasgow Family...The main reason I wrote about them was the fact that I didn't learn till a few years ago that the beautiful play area we played in as kids was a former Estate of a Famous Family...I often wondered the History of our play area as it had an old gatekeepers house (someone still lived in it when we first moved there,an old Lady,wish I could have talked to her about the History)at the entry to the Estate ...had an orchard (or the remains of)......A bridal path from one end to the other and tons of fully developed trees and surrounding fields....keeping in mind,we were all kids that had moved there in 1946 from the murky tenements of Springburn and Greater Glasgow mostly just two roomed houses...outside toilet and cold water mostly,so moving to our new area was like fairyland...The Menzies Family donated a lot of land in the surrounding area for homes for the people from the tenements...The Menzies tract was built before we had moved to that area.....So if you go to the Springburn site that my Brother Tennscot mentioned,just click on the 'Balornock' thread...All the best Mate!

+Quote Post
pommy999
post 8th Nov 2010, 05:31am
Post #37

Unpacking
Member No.: 9,082
I lived at bottom of Lamont Road from 1960 until I was married in 1979. My mother is still living there.
Used to fund our summer days in Springburn Park by searching the rough at Littlehill (at the bottom of our back garden)for golf balls and selling them to the golfers! Spent the money earned in Auld Levy's(Holdens) in Wallacewell Road-he was a tyrant!

Loved the boating pond, tennis courts, putting green, Hot Houses-Springburn Park was brilliant!

Anyone remember the 35 bus from the city not able to get up Edgefauld Road?
Everyone has to get off and walk up the hill and get back on again,lol!

+Quote Post
RonD
post 8th Nov 2010, 09:52am
Post #38

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 2,783
I woke up to Balornock every day. I lived at 1 Woodhill Rd. Auchinairn, kitty corner to Auchinairn Rd. directly across from Balornock and across the Kinniburgh piggery now known as the Groves. Auchinairn Rd. was the offical Glasgow boundary, we lived in Lanarkshire. As a young boy we tended stay in our own area and especially since the kids across the road went to a different school. However there were times we went exploring down Standburn Rd to Lover's Lane which was a lane to farmer's fields and a shortcut to Auchinloch if you were adventuresome. Also we walked to the bottom of Standburn Rd to get to the quarter mile bridge and Hogganfield Loch for a day's outing. In fact I remember a friendly game of footie with kids from Balornock against some of us from Auchinairn, we thought we were playing for the world cup. biggrin.gif Funny someone mentioned a co-op a Wallacewell Rd. One time our co-op manager sent me on a message to a house to deliver to a house there, He gave me bus fare ther and back and some money for going and when I delivered the item I received a tip from the woman. I decided to walk back up the hill and save the bus fare. Probably 2/6d all told but I was flush for a week not bad money for a nine year old. Down Standburn Rd. and beyond Wallacewell Rd. there was a vacant area where we played the footie game and also a little pond. I remember one local girl telling it was named "Dead Man's Creek" probably a title from some western seen at the Kinema. I tell you the patches of memories that stay with you.

--------------------
Bad luck, emotional blackmail, soppy sentiments, no matter what ! The chain letter stops here!

+Quote Post
*ronnie wilson*
post 22nd Nov 2010, 02:37am
Post #39

QUOTE (annemarie3@ntlworl @ 15th Sep 2009, 12:00pm) *
i was born in 202 avonpark street my family name is smith. my dad was willie my mum was ethel my brothers and sisters were betty,agnes,tommy,helen,william,jack,my sister betty married george clark and now lives in rye road anyone remember my family.

+Quote Post
ronniewilson
post 23rd Nov 2010, 07:55pm
Post #40

Unpacking
Member No.: 9,258
undefinedjust new to this Glasgow guide still trying to get my head around it ..don't no how to use it to answer

i stayed at 202 Avonspark street since the war years ,right up until the family moved to castle milk 1956
and i no of Agnes smith and her big sister there mum and dad ,that stayed on the top flat nextt door to the Nesbits...i stayed in the close the Wilson family ... i am Ronnie wilson

if there is any thing more that i can help you with

+Quote Post
ronniewilson
post 23rd Nov 2010, 08:04pm
Post #41

Unpacking
Member No.: 9,258
QUOTE (annemarie3@ntlworl @ 15th Sep 2009, 12:00pm) *
i was born in 202 avonpark street my family name is smith. my dad was willie my mum was ethel my brothers and sisters were betty,agnes,tommy,helen,william,jack,my sister betty married george clark and now lives in rye road anyone remember my family.

+Quote Post
**Maisie Egger**
post 9th Dec 2010, 10:32pm
Post #42

QUOTE (Tennscot @ 24th Apr 2007, 10:53pm) *
As my memory kicks in and out I wonder about some more of our old neighbours in the Swedish houses.. The Clintons ..Woodhill Road. Dan & Jessie Hartie ..Wardhill Rd. The Grimshaws Fruit Merchants.. Eastburn Rd., Margaret Rush.. Wallacewell road (Redhead,,Wow) worked in tobacco Factory . The Barrs Top of Lamont Road. in my Class at Albert. As the song sez... Where have all the people gone....Long time passing. From my Hippie days that was. sad.gif

Tennescott (which one of the Tuck boys are you...of Reminiscences of Springburn note!). I knew Adrienne Barr, but I think she actually lived in one of the Swedish houses right by the woods, so would that be Balornock Road? Adrienne and Helen McColl, both my age...at 80 and proud of every wrinkle I have earned!...attended Balornock Tron Church, Red Road (now renamed Tron St. Mary's). There was a church sale one time and Adrienne and I both bought for a song a big oil painting each. We humphed them all the way from Red Rd., to Broomfield Rd., then, for me, through the woods to Eastburn Rd. I left the painting behind when I went to Canada, so I don't know what my mother did with it. Both were very good oil paintings in the Constable genre. Maisie

+Quote Post
**Maisie Egger**
post 9th Dec 2010, 10:43pm
Post #43

QUOTE (*pollydoodle* @ 31st Jul 2010, 03:01pm) *
hi arch very good friends of mine stayed in lamont rd they were called Robert and George Mc Dougall. mothers name was nan dad was angus,they came from Possilpark,we called them aunt and uncle.

I didn't know too many people on Lamont Rd., except for the following. Helen McColl, right at the top of Lamont Rd., Mary Girvan, and Stella McKinnon and family. Stella lived upstairs from us when we lived in Barmulloch Rd., and both families moved to the Swedish houses at the same time, 1946/47. Robert McDougall lived right across the street from Stella, so easy "coorting!" They went to Australia after they married. I did not know George McDougall, however. I lived in Eastburn Rd. Maisie

+Quote Post
**Maisie Egger**
post 9th Dec 2010, 10:53pm
Post #44

QUOTE (red @ 16th Nov 2007, 09:03pm) *
I`m sorry,I know this isn`t the family history board,but I`m researching my dads family,and as they lived at 201 Avonspark street Springburn[Balornock?]I thought this might be the best place to start.
The family name was JOHNSTON, and I know that they were there in the 1940s,but my dad was actually born in 1932,at 6 Nicholson street in the Gorbals.
If the following names do happen to ring a bell with anyone,then It would be great to hear from you!!
So here we go -:

Charles Johnston died at stobhill hospital in 1944 aged 54
Mary Johnston [ms Gordon] died at home in 1945 aged 50.

Their familys`names were Charlie,Helen[both fairheaded at the time] and John[dark hair] who was my dad,he was around 12/13 when his parents died.

My auntie Helen later married a John Doig,they lived at 72 Menzies Road,but I have no idea when my dad or his brother left the area.
I realize that all this was a long time ago,and this really is a long shot,but if someone out there has even the vaguest memory of them living there please let me know!!
Thanks,
Red.

Well, indeed, it is a small world. I do not know any of your family, but I did know the Doigs as they lived in the same tenement at 24 St. James Rd., Townhead, where I was born in 1930. They must have moved to Menzies Rd., maybe early-1940s, as we "flitted" to Barmulloch Rd., in 1936. The houses in that Menzies Rd. area were built after the ones in the south part of Balornock. We lived there for 10 years before we moved to the Swedish houses in 1946/47. I need to check with my brother Peter (Auchinairn) to see if he remembers the names of the Doig children. I THINK one of the girls was Sally, but I could be wrong. I distinctly remember Mrs. Doig though! One of my girlfriends, Anne Anderson, lived in Menzies Drive, and so I went past the Doig's house quite a bit as I made my way home through the woods to Eastburn Rd. Maisie

+Quote Post
pollydoodle
post 4th May 2012, 04:32pm
Post #45

Special Visitor
Member No.: 7,588
QUOTE (mick49 @ 1st Feb 2010, 11:46am) *
Hi Tam,just laughing here,dont know how to take ur,,"I recognised that face as soon as I seen it"comment, ,but being a big headed swine will take it as a compliment.Doing well,living in blackhill,glasgow,after a good few year in Ruchazie.Aye last time I seen you was good while back,think it was in the Broomie.The couple of beers sounds good,as soon as I find time mate.

hi mick 49, my brother lived in drumbottie rd for quit a lot of years,maybe you know him robert faulds,i think it was33? pollydoodle

+Quote Post

4 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 >
Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 22nd Nov 2017

All material in the site Glasgow Guide is copyright of the Glasgow Guide Organisation. This material is for your own private use only, and no part of the site may be reproduced, amended, modified, copied, or transmitted to third parties, by any means whatsoever without the prior written permission of the copyright owner. All rights reserved.

Glasgow Hotels: book cheap hotels in Glasgow online now.