Glasgow Guide Home

Whats On Glasgow Guide
  Glasgow What's On

Glasgow Reviews

Glasgow Gallery

Glasgow Links
Discuss | Guestbook | Postcard | News | Weather | Feedback | Search | About | What's New
Glasgow Guide Discussion Boards

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )                >> View Today's Topics <<

4 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Balornock
*FRANK SMITH*
post 24th Mar 2009, 03:38pm
Post #16

I moved to 88,Menzies Rd. just after W.W.2 When Balornock was just a building site, I remember the big grassy field in the middle of the road during the Summer we used to race each other round it, Ican only remember a few names of neighbours,the GRAYS, O'HARES,McDONALDS ,MITCHELLS, CUMMINGS, wee Mr. SMITH who always played in the New Y ear on his Concertina out in the street.. The nearest shops were on Wallacewell Rd. they were the CO-OP, BAXTERS,McFAULDS and I think Fishmonger or Butcher, I went to Balornock Primary and Albert Secondary, Ihad three sisters ,Tilly ,Betty and Jean.
Happy days, Frank Smith.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Mhoira
post 21st Jun 2009, 12:25pm
Post #17

Super Resident
Member No.: 5,797
My Aunt and Uncle moved to Wallacwell rd amy years ago when i was young and my aunt Isabelle still lives there i think from early 70's .

+Quote Post
*Peter Mitchell*
post 12th Jul 2009, 11:08am
Post #18

QUOTE (FRANK SMITH @ 24th Mar 2009, 03:32pm) *
I moved to 88,Menzies Rd. just after W.W.2 When Balornock was just a building site, I remember the big grassy field in the middle of the road during the Summer we used to race each other round it, Ican only remember a few names of neighbours,the GRAYS, O'HARES,McDONALDS ,MITCHELLS, CUMMINGS, wee Mr. SMITH who always played in the New Y ear on his Concertina out in the street.. The nearest shops were on Wallacewell Rd. they were the CO-OP, BAXTERS,McFAULDS and I think Fishmonger or Butcher, I went to Balornock Primary and Albert Secondary, Ihad three sisters ,Tilly ,Betty and Jean.
Happy days, Frank Smith.

I was born at 133 Balornock Road on 8th. Januaary 1949 and moved into foster care in Buckie when I was 3 years old and have been in Buckie ever since. I never met my mother or father, my mothers name was Ether Jenkins or Hannah and My Father was Peter Roberson Angus who lived in Warwick Street can anyone give me any inormation about either of them

+Quote Post
dot21
post 24th Jul 2009, 03:43pm
Post #19

Settling In
Member No.: 5,381
Does anyone remember Dulcie road in Balornock there were'nt many houses there, we lived beside the Orr family think the dad was a bookie, there were lot's of them the youngest was called Kathleen she was my friend. Also the Davidson's and the Carr family, we moved to Hawthorn street in Springburn.

+Quote Post
Mhoira
post 24th Jul 2009, 03:55pm
Post #20

Super Resident
Member No.: 5,797
Do you realise you can do the google virtual walk through different areas of Balornock smile.gif that is not the only area I think most of Glasgow is covered .

+Quote Post
tamhickey
post 25th Jul 2009, 02:14am
Post #21

City Key Holder
Member No.: 2,833
I grew up in Drumbottie Road and we were there for many years until my parents got a transfer to Eastburn Road. I went to St Marthas primary and All Saints secondary and my favourite pubs were the Cairn and Morven bars. Both are still standing, but have had a lot of refurbishment over the years. I have since worked both here and abroad, and I now live in Springburn and my younger brother Martin still lives in the house at Eastburn road. I remember as a kid going up to Littlehill golf course and finding all the lost golf balls then selling them to people coming off the course lol. Springburn Park was a particular favourite place back in the 70's, when it looked amazing. So sad to see the state it's in these days. No putting green, tennis courts, boats on the pond and the botanical conservatory is just a rusting shell. The cricket pavilion has gone too as have most of the football pitches, unless you want to pay to play on Astroturf.
Another thing which is strange is this. Do you remember you could have a drink out of the water fountains in almost every park in Glasgow? Great on a hot summers day after a game of footie. They seem to have all gone. I wonder why?
Still, I have great memories of growing up there and of the friendships forged there too. Bonds that will never be broken with the passing of time.

+Quote Post
Tennscot
post 26th Jul 2009, 11:38pm
Post #22

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 2,796
Yes Frank & Tam I and Wellfield lived at 9 Woodhill Road, after moving from Wellfield St. A room & Kitchen into a 3 bedroom home. I remember Water at the elmvale swings, Vulcan St and Springburn Park I remember the shops at the Bundy clock at the park and the New shops in Wallacewell Road. Oh! and a priest coming round the doors for a Pound for a brick for the New Chapel at the bottom of Lamont Road.

+Quote Post
Tennscot
post 26th Jul 2009, 11:40pm
Post #23

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 2,796
Yes Frank & Tam I and Wellfield lived at 9 Woodhill Road, after moving from Wellfield St. A room & Kitchen into a 3 bedroom home. I remember Water at the elmvale swings, Vulcan St and Springburn Park I remember the shops at the Bundy clock at the park and the New shops in Wallacewell Road. Oh! and a priest coming round the doors for a Pound for a brick for the New Chapel at the bottom of Lamont Road.

+Quote Post
*Yvonne Hence*
post 7th Aug 2009, 04:19pm
Post #24

Hello Everyone I just found this part of GG I used to live at the bottom of Lamont Road . I lived there till I was 18 moved to the States in 1981. I used to go to Knockburn and my papa used to walk me school every morning in the winter he would heat my clothes for me infrount of the coal fire and we would put on our welly boots and walk to school he would be there at dinner time and 4 oclock to. I went to Albert I got on Friends Reunited and have go intouch with a couple of people I went to school with. I went to Linda Allans dancing school. Does anyone know Linda and how she is doing? I am trying to get intouch with Catherine Watt (Katy) does anyone know her? Her mothers name is Millie they used to live at the bottom of Wallacewell Road. We all used to hang around the comunity center and go to the Discos that they had on a Saturday night that was a great time. If anyone remembers me and knows anything about the people that used to hang arouond the community center drop me a message. Take care everyone Yvonne

+Quote Post
*annemarie3@ntlworl*
post 15th Sep 2009, 12:14pm
Post #25

i was born in 202 avonpark street my family name is smith. my dad was willie my mum was ethel my brothers and sisters were betty,agnes,tommy,helen,william,jack,my sister betty married george clark and now lives in rye road anyone remember my family.

+Quote Post
*Guest*
post 13th Oct 2009, 12:43pm
Post #26

Hi i moved in to 60 menzies road around 1978 my mum was a dinner lady in st marthas primary she only sold the house about 5 years ago i loved it in the menzies balornock was a great place to be brought up we moved to the menzies from the red road flats we thought we had hit the jackpot lol.

+Quote Post
bonnie22
post 15th Jan 2010, 02:40pm
Post #27

Visitor
Member No.: 7,989
Hi there, my last address was in Balornock befor immigrating to Perth West Aust. I think it was Broomton road or something like that. It started with Broom..... I remember the ice cream man on a Friday and I still remmeber the noughet ( dont know correct spelling) ice cream wafers we had. I always wanted a double one. And also a jubilee.

+Quote Post
mick49
post 31st Jan 2010, 06:27pm
Post #28

Settling In
Member No.: 8,075
QUOTE (tamhickey @ 25th Jul 2009, 02:12am) *
I grew up in Drumbottie Road and we were there for many years until my parents got a transfer to Eastburn Road. I went to St Marthas primary and All Saints secondary and my favourite pubs were the Cairn and Morven bars. Both are still standing, but have had a lot of refurbishment over the years. I have since worked both here and abroad, and I now live in Springburn and my younger brother Martin still lives in the house at Eastburn road. I remember as a kid going up to Littlehill golf course and finding all the lost golf balls then selling them to people coming off the course lol. Springburn Park was a particular favourite place back in the 70's, when it looked amazing. So sad to see the state it's in these days. No putting green, tennis courts, boats on the pond and the botanical conservatory is just a rusting shell. The cricket pavilion has gone too as have most of the football pitches, unless you want to pay to play on Astroturf.
Another thing which is strange is this. Do you remember you could have a drink out of the water fountains in almost every park in Glasgow? Great on a hot summers day after a game of footie. They seem to have all gone. I wonder why?
Still, I have great memories of growing up there and of the friendships forged there too. Bonds that will never be broken with the passing of time.

Hi Tam,remember you well mate,went to both the Martha and All Saints with you,think big james Gallacher lived across from you.

--------------------
Proud Glaswegian[color="#2E8B57"][/color]

+Quote Post
tamhickey
post 1st Feb 2010, 06:37am
Post #29

City Key Holder
Member No.: 2,833
Hiya Mick, great to hear from you again. I recognised that face as soon as I saw it! Not seen you in god knows how many years. How are you doing? Are you still in this part of the city or have you moved on? It'd be great to catch up and have a beer or three. Let me know mate.

+Quote Post
mick49
post 1st Feb 2010, 10:41am
Post #30

Settling In
Member No.: 8,075
Hi Tam,just laughing here,dont know how to take ur,,"I recognised that face as soon as I seen it"comment, ,but being a big headed swine will take it as a compliment.Doing well,living in blackhill,glasgow,after a good few year in Ruchazie.Aye last time I seen you was good while back,think it was in the Broomie.The couple of beers sounds good,as soon as I find time mate.

--------------------
Proud Glaswegian[color="#2E8B57"][/color]

+Quote Post

4 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 >
Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th Nov 2017

All material in the site Glasgow Guide is copyright of the Glasgow Guide Organisation. This material is for your own private use only, and no part of the site may be reproduced, amended, modified, copied, or transmitted to third parties, by any means whatsoever without the prior written permission of the copyright owner. All rights reserved.

Glasgow Hotels: book cheap hotels in Glasgow online now.