Glasgow Guide Home

Whats On Glasgow Guide
  Glasgow What's On

Glasgow Reviews

Glasgow Gallery

Glasgow Links
Discuss | Guestbook | Postcard | News | Weather | Feedback | Search | About | What's New
Glasgow Guide Discussion Boards

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )                >> View Today's Topics <<

4 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Balornock
GG
post 17th Mar 2007, 03:51pm
Post #1

Administrator
Group Icon
Member No.: 1
Please post your memories of this Glasgow district here...Balornock

Were you born here? Did you grow up here?
Did you visit your aunt here? ...or your children?
Was your first home here? Were your children born here?
Did you shop here? Was your favourite cinema here?
Did you go to church here? Was your favourite pub here?
Did you 'romance' here? Did you go to school here?
Do you have a photograph from here?

Come on let us know and immortalise your memories here...Balornock

GG.

--------------------
Help: Register :: Login :: Forgot password? :: gg@glasgowguide.co.uk
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
championi26
post 21st Mar 2007, 06:54pm
Post #2

Super Resident
Member No.: 3,968
Stayed in Balornock for the first 27 years of my life,just round from The Morven Bar in Barmulloch Rd...

+Quote Post
*flashton*
post 2nd Apr 2007, 10:27pm
Post #3

cool.gif cool.gif I used to live in Wallacewell Road and went to St Martha's. I remember the shops on ? Broomfield Rd., Gaffney's the newsagents. Galbraith's, the hardware store which later became Mc Callums hairdressers. There was also a butcher's I think.
Spent lots of time in Springburn Park catching minnows in the two ponds and playing on the swings.
I worked at Stobhill and got married in the Immaculate Heart. Left Glasgow in 1970, but still visit.
It would be nice to hear from other Balornockites.

+Quote Post
Catarina
post 12th Apr 2007, 11:06pm
Post #4

Super Resident
Member No.: 3,071
I visited my Aunt and Uncle John and Chrissie Ferguson in Balornock. I thought I was in another world at the time, as it was brand new. Coming frae the Gorbals I was impressed. I do not recall the street they lived on however.

+Quote Post
clmcm25
post 19th Apr 2007, 11:36am
Post #5

Unpacking
Member No.: 4,368
I was born in Stobhill and grew up in Wallacewell Road.

Was baptised in St. Catherine's Laboure and spent many days growing up playing football in the grounds of the old Acredyke Nursery before it was burnt down and in "the Circle" on Birdston Road.

Ended up going to school in Bishopbriggs as I was enrolled in St. Bede's then they decided they were closing it down within 20 years of it being built! Must've been amorous times in Balornock during the 60s!

Summertimes were spent at the Knockburn playscheme. Would be great to read any memories people have from there.

Balornock as it is now is very quiet. All the ex-council houses are mostly bought and there still isn't much in the way of facilities in the area. Knockburn school is closing soon and moving to a new purpose-built school on the road up to Robroyston.

+Quote Post
Tennscot
post 20th Apr 2007, 01:41am
Post #6

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 2,796
Moved from Wellfield Street to Woodhill Road ("The Swedish houses)When they were first built.The people came from many areas and every garden was nicer than the next. Cannot remember a nasty neighbour. Cassiday (Caddy") My young brothers pal still lives in the same house he grew up in . They`re still pals today. The Youngs across the street. The girls went to Canada. The Clarks went to Hamilton Ont., I think, Tuckers round in Wardhill Rd. Good friends of my parents. Closer to Lamont Road on Woodhill Rd. lived Lisbon Lion Steve Chalmers parents and Stevie. He visited My young sister and family when Celtic were on tour. My parents moved to San Pedro L.A. Harbour area. Joe Feeney lived in San Pedro too. he came from Eastbourne Rd. Geo. Hughes... Eastbourne Rd. We Raced Bicycles together. He Went to sea.. Engineer. I liked Springburn, I loved Balornock (Woodhill Road) The Park, Littlehill Golf Course. I wanted to see the world , So... Vancouver B.C. then up on the Alaska Hyway Building a Natural Gas Refinery and Tank Farm. Now that was the real wild west. Real cowboys, Board sidewalks, Ground trembling and mud and oil shooting in the air through the Wooden Derricks. True, Honestly. From there to Sunny California, and so on. A lot of World Travellers came they few streets.I still go on Google Earth and go right to my Mothers front door 9 Woodhill Road,sometimes wishing I stayed there. Some are gone from us , some still with us. Here`s tae us whaes like us gie few and they`re aw Deid.

+Quote Post
championi26
post 24th Apr 2007, 08:45am
Post #7

Super Resident
Member No.: 3,968
you should download microsoft virtual earth too...I find the pics are clearer....cheers

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details...;displaylang=en

+Quote Post
Tennscot
post 24th Apr 2007, 10:55pm
Post #8

Mega City Key Holder
Thanks Championi, !! I tried that site, not as clear as google earth for me.I`ll try to refine it later. With Google I can clearly see that my young brothers pal`s House need some grass in the back yard. I think he has a pigeon coop back there or maybe a Coup. !!!! biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
Tennscot
post 24th Apr 2007, 11:07pm
Post #9

Mega City Key Holder
As my memory kicks in and out I wonder about some more of our old neighbours in the Swedish houses.. The Clintons ..Woodhill Road. Dan & Jessie Hartie ..Wardhill Rd. The Grimshaws Fruit Merchants.. Eastburn Rd., Margaret Rush.. Wallacewell road (Redhead,,Wow) worked in tobacco Factory . The Barrs Top of Lamont Road. in my Class at Albert. As the song sez... Where have all the people gone....Long time passing. From my Hippie days that was. sad.gif

+Quote Post
arch
post 19th Oct 2007, 12:04pm
Post #10

Unpacking
Member No.: 5,078
I moved to Balornock in 1947 as first tenants in the Swedish houses in Lamont Road. Does anyone remember any of the people who lived there then. Working back from number 121 there was the Murray family, the Dixons, the Whites, Harris, Smith, Melvin, Marshall,McBride, Blyth, Devine,. I'm not sure of some of the names after that. I was friends with Fiona McBride from further up the road, and Betty Cousins. I went to Balornock school before going to Albert. My husband moved from Springburn to Lamont Road next door to me. He attended Wellfield School before going to Albert. We married in 1959 and came to Australia with our three kids in 1970. Archie came across this Glasgow guide and we thought it was terrific. Elizabeth Marshall

+Quote Post
Tennscot
post 19th Oct 2007, 12:31pm
Post #11

Mega City Key Holder
Hi Arch.. I moved from Wellfield St to Woodhill Road(9) same time. Went to Albert. Classes IBt 2bt 3bt. Also Wellfield School,I Recognise some of the names.

+Quote Post
red
post 16th Nov 2007, 09:17pm
Post #12

Unpacking
Member No.: 5,149
I`m sorry,I know this isn`t the family history board,but I`m researching my dads family,and as they lived at 201 Avonspark street Springburn[Balornock?]I thought this might be the best place to start.
The family name was JOHNSTON, and I know that they were there in the 1940s,but my dad was actually born in 1932,at 6 Nicholson street in the Gorbals.
If the following names do happen to ring a bell with anyone,then It would be great to hear from you!!
So here we go -:

Charles Johnston died at stobhill hospital in 1944 aged 54
Mary Johnston [ms Gordon] died at home in 1945 aged 50.

Their familys`names were Charlie,Helen[both fairheaded at the time] and John[dark hair] who was my dad,he was around 12/13 when his parents died.

My auntie Helen later married a John Doig,they lived at 72 Menzies Road,but I have no idea when my dad or his brother left the area.
I realize that all this was a long time ago,and this really is a long shot,but if someone out there has even the vaguest memory of them living there please let me know!!
Thanks,
Red.

+Quote Post
*Guest*
post 10th Jan 2009, 12:50pm
Post #13

hello Red I lived in Menzies Road from 1969 onwards I can remember a family by the name of Doig living in the street and possibly number 72

+Quote Post
*Guest*
post 10th Jan 2009, 12:53pm
Post #14

Hello Red I was brought up in Menzies Road and can confrim a family of the name Doig lived at 72 Menzies Road

+Quote Post
red
post 17th Jan 2009, 06:07pm
Post #15

Unpacking
Member No.: 5,149
Hi "Guest",
Thanks so much for your reply.I have just revisited this board by chance today and was really surprised to come across your message!
I know that my Auntie Helen and Uncle John both died a few years ago,they had five girls,the eldest being Margaret,then Janet,Helen Irene and Marilyn.
Cheers,
Red.

+Quote Post

4 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th Aug 2017

All material in the site Glasgow Guide is copyright of the Glasgow Guide Organisation. This material is for your own private use only, and no part of the site may be reproduced, amended, modified, copied, or transmitted to third parties, by any means whatsoever without the prior written permission of the copyright owner. All rights reserved.

Glasgow Hotels: book cheap hotels in Glasgow online now.