Glasgow Guide Home

Whats On Glasgow Guide
  Glasgow What's On

Glasgow Reviews

Glasgow Gallery

Glasgow Links
Discuss | Guestbook | Postcard | News | Weather | Feedback | Search | About | What's New
Glasgow Guide Discussion Boards

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )                >> View Today's Topics <<

3 Pages V  < 1 2 3  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Arden
portydave
post 22nd Feb 2014, 09:02am
Post #31

Unpacking
Member No.: 11,145
"In the hazy summer evenings, in the fields over behind the relatively posh Darnley, the pitched battles took place. The protagonists: the Arden Tongs and the Priesty, a gang of likely lads from Priesthill. We, the rest of us, would watch from high on a hill.

One gang would run at the other, most would retreat, some of the harder ones would engage in the middle; kicking, flailing, backing off. Then the others would chase; same routine. And then the sticks would fly, thrown like you would a skiter across the water, so they would spin and twirl and connect with shin bone. Hurt like hell I’ll bet.

Sound of a motorbike which emerges from an underpass and revs on to the field, the rider has a chain in his hand which he wields twirling at his side, then he raises it above his head and charges. Of course, all potential foes flee from this, and he chases them up the hill for a bit before returning to his cheering comrades.

You didn’t need Mad Max if you lived around here."

From 'Prick! My Life in Snippets'
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
**Mary**
post 25th Mar 2014, 09:18am
Post #32

Author: Mary
Date: March 29, 2011 - 18:55

I moved to Carnwadric in the early 1960's and I must say I have some great childhood memories if anyone remembers any of them please do join in. I went to Carnwadric Primary School, and Miss Prentice was the Head Mistress, Mr McIver was the Head Master, Mr Henry was a music teacher, some of my own teachers were, Miss Smith, who became Mrs Robertson, Miss Frame and Mrs Glekin, I remember there was a male teacher, Mr Melvin, my big sister was in his class and I remember she used to complain about not being able to read his writing from the blackboard because he always wrote in what we called 'real writing'.

The sun always seemed to shine during the eight weeks we had off in the summer and those eight weeks were filled with lots of self made activities. My best friend lived down at the 45 bus terminus and our day would be spent in the old RSD, making houses in the disused shelters at the entrance, jumping on the shelters further in towards the exit at Thornliebank, the wee peaked roof tops, we walked about for hours in that place exploring and having fun. There used to be rope swing going across the burn up at the back end, and other rope swings downhill from the puggy. The one going across the burn was scary, some brave boys used to land on the brick tower, just thinking about it now makes my blood run cold. Another of the puggy daredevil rides was coming down the big red hill from the puggy to the frog pond across from the 45 bus terminus, never tried that either.

We had the bluebell woods up under the railway at Kennishead, and we had the wee burn to tadpole fish over on what is now the road towards Darnley and Priesthill. I had an Aunt and Uncle lived in Ravenscraig Drive so my 'pal' and me quite often walked that road to visit her, and play in the park or allotments on the way.

King George 5th Park was a great park then, we had lots of swings, the big chute with the wooden box on top, and the wee chute, roundabouts, spiders web, witches hat, and the big sort of log thing we all sat on and did the 'bumps' it even had a paddle pool which was filled every summer. Also there was tennis courts and Bowling Green, lovely rose gardens and most of all a 'parkie' you respected.

When we moved to Carnwadric there was no Kennishead or wee Darnley, no old peoples flats in Harport St, and not all of Arden was there either, we looked out of our bedroom window in Carnwadric Road onto the old railway, which ran across the street into the puggy. I loved it, so much so that I never left the area. After getting married in 1975 I lived in Priesthill, from there moved to a bigger house in Arden, and at that time Arden was real posh to us in Carnwadric because they were 'the new houses' with verandas and nice windows, and does anyone remember all the grocery vans, Savoy Stores, Isobel's, the big green one and the big red one which sat up in the Kyleakin part of Arden, we had a draper van, Shannon the fruit man, City Bakeries Van, the fish van, you name it we had it, Sammy the gentle giant Ice Cream man, did any of you recognise his son as Duncan in The Bill? Then we had the best shops ever, up in Arden, down in Boydstone Road, and up in Thornliebank as well as 'The Hut' the wee wooden shop down at the train station run by Jack. I am 53 years old and can still remember most of the shops and their owners, in fact I was in Florida about 10 years ago and met Isobel from the Pink Parafin shop in Boydstone Road, she hadn't changed a bit. There are lots of happy memories and it would be great if someone out there can share them.

+Quote Post
Don C.
post 21st May 2014, 06:40am
Post #33

Visitor
Member No.: 25,806
Hi Mary, Don Cairns here. I lived in Arden from ( 1955 - 1973 ) I remember all the things that you are talking about. Especially the Park in Carnwadric. Many a time we played their, on the Tennis, and the bowling greens. I 'am ( 61 ) now, and still have great memories of the Place, and you are right, we did have some good shops and vans that came round the Schemes. It is nice to talk with you. I'am still in Glasgow, and I'am moving to Shawlands in June this year. I also remember playing up the Puggy,making swings from the trees and sliding down the ( Big Red Hill ) next to the Burn.
It is good to talk with you,
take care, Mary, all the best Don.

--------------------
Don S. Cairns

+Quote Post
ashdude56
post 6th Dec 2014, 07:58pm
Post #34

Unpacking
Member No.: 13,237
QUOTE (Don C. @ 21st May 2014, 06:57am) *
Hi Mary, Don Cairns here. I lived in Arden from ( 1955 - 1973 ) I remember all the things that you are talking about. Especially the Park in Carnwadric. Many a time we played their, on the Tennis, and the bowling greens. I 'am ( 61 ) now, and still have great memories of the Place, and you are right, we did have some good shops and vans that came round the Schemes. It is nice to talk with you. I'am still in Glasgow, and I'am moving to Shawlands in June this year. I also remember playing up the Puggy,making swings from the trees and sliding down the ( Big Red Hill ) next to the Burn.
It is good to talk with you,
take care, Mary, all the best Don.

+Quote Post
ashdude56
post 6th Dec 2014, 08:01pm
Post #35

Unpacking
Hey Don the ice cream vans in Arden where called Ginas and Jackonellis if I remember right did u know dodgy alec rowatt.lol he he oh by the way I lived at number 24Kilmuir Road. My dad was in a wheelchair I hung about with Davey craig he was in the accordian band.We used to go to the boys brigade in Carnwardric church hall lol aint it a small world.I Now live in Hull. the picture was taken in the trade winds it was the Glasgow Rangers supporters club night out bobby mckean and derek johnstone where there .
Attached Image

+Quote Post
ashdude56
post 6th Dec 2014, 08:07pm
Post #36

Unpacking
Attached Image
QUOTE (*Mary* @ 25th Mar 2014, 09:35am) *

I moved to Carnwadric in the early 1960's and I must say I have some great childhood memories if anyone remembers any of them please do join in. I went to Carnwadric Primary School, and Miss Prentice was the Head Mistress, Mr McIver was the Head Master, Mr Henry was a music teacher, some of my own teachers were, Miss Smith, who became Mrs Robertson, Miss Frame and Mrs Glekin, I remember there was a male teacher, Mr Melvin, my big sister was in his class and I remember she used to complain about not being able to read his writing from the blackboard because he always wrote in what we called 'real writing'.

The sun always seemed to shine during the eight weeks we had off in the summer and those eight weeks were filled with lots of self made activities. My best friend lived down at the 45 bus terminus and our day would be spent in the old RSD, making houses in the disused shelters at the entrance, jumping on the shelters further in towards the exit at Thornliebank, the wee peaked roof tops, we walked about for hours in that place exploring and having fun. There used to be rope swing going across the burn up at the back end, and other rope swings downhill from the puggy. The one going across the burn was scary, some brave boys used to land on the brick tower, just thinking about it now makes my blood run cold. Another of the puggy daredevil rides was coming down the big red hill from the puggy to the frog pond across from the 45 bus terminus, never tried that either.

We had the bluebell woods up under the railway at Kennishead, and we had the wee burn to tadpole fish over on what is now the road towards Darnley and Priesthill. I had an Aunt and Uncle lived in Ravenscraig Drive so my 'pal' and me quite often walked that road to visit her, and play in the park or allotments on the way.

King George 5th Park was a great park then, we had lots of swings, the big chute with the wooden box on top, and the wee chute, roundabouts, spiders web, witches hat, and the big sort of log thing we all sat on and did the 'bumps' it even had a paddle pool which was filled every summer. Also there was tennis courts and Bowling Green, lovely rose gardens and most of all a 'parkie' you respected.

When we moved to Carnwadric there was no Kennishead or wee Darnley, no old peoples flats in Harport St, and not all of Arden was there either, we looked out of our bedroom window in Carnwadric Road onto the old railway, which ran across the street into the puggy. I loved it, so much so that I never left the area. After getting married in 1975 I lived in Priesthill, from there moved to a bigger house in Arden, and at that time Arden was real posh to us in Carnwadric because they were 'the new houses' with verandas and nice windows, and does anyone remember all the grocery vans, Savoy Stores, Isobel's, the big green one and the big red one which sat up in the Kyleakin part of Arden, we had a draper van, Shannon the fruit man, City Bakeries Van, the fish van, you name it we had it, Sammy the gentle giant Ice Cream man, did any of you recognise his son as Duncan in The Bill? Then we had the best shops ever, up in Arden, down in Boydstone Road, and up in Thornliebank as well as 'The Hut' the wee wooden shop down at the train station run by Jack. I am 53 years old and can still remember most of the shops and their owners, in fact I was in Florida about 10 years ago and met Isobel from the Pink Parafin shop in Boydstone Road, she hadn't changed a bit. There are lots of happy memories and it would be great if someone out there can share them.

+Quote Post
*laird stevie*
post 27th Mar 2015, 11:51am
Post #37

Lived in Kilbeg Terrace for 13 years although my father lived there for about 20 years. Great place brilliant people fond memories.

Remember the gang fights very well.

+Quote Post
ashdude56
post 27th Mar 2015, 01:19pm
Post #38

Unpacking
QUOTE (*Mary* @ 25th Mar 2014, 09:35am) *

yes I am 58 and I used to get the train to busby every day from thornliebank station as I worked in busby My mother worked in Aden fish and chip shop.was id geenas ice cream van lol

+Quote Post
**Dotty**
post 21st May 2015, 07:56am
Post #39

QUOTE (Don C @ 8th Nov 2013, 04:38pm) *
Hi Dotty, Don Cairns here, I used to stay at 30 Kilmuir road, then moved to 72, Kyleakin Road in the early sixties, What was your Surname, and did you have any brothers. I have just turned Sixty now, so have you any brothers about my age.

+Quote Post
*Guest*
post 17th May 2016, 04:15pm
Post #40

QUOTE (Toronto Tom @ 23rd Nov 2007, 08:53pm) *
I used to live at 9 Kilmuir Road. Was there for about 9 years.
Have some great memories.

+Quote Post
TVTAM
post 23rd Oct 2016, 05:03pm
Post #41

Unpacking
Member No.: 33,955
QUOTE (Dotty @ 26th Jan 2012, 10:04pm) *
I lived at 21 kilmuir drive from 1957 to 1973, when I left to get married, I had a great childhood there. we played over the Puggy and in the RSD, it was such an adventure. We would also walk to the shady brook and fish for minnows and tadpoles. Skipping ropes in the street and th boys playing football or marbles in the stanks. Life was so easy then. I would love to hear from others who remember this too.

hi dottyyou brought back a few memories there the old puggy railway

theshaddy brook fishing for minnoes & sticklebacks

my name is tom ramsay i lived at 16 kilmartin place brand new house 1958 to

about 1963 went to saint louise nice memories

+Quote Post

3 Pages V  < 1 2 3
Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 27th Jun 2017

All material in the site Glasgow Guide is copyright of the Glasgow Guide Organisation. This material is for your own private use only, and no part of the site may be reproduced, amended, modified, copied, or transmitted to third parties, by any means whatsoever without the prior written permission of the copyright owner. All rights reserved.

Glasgow Hotels: book cheap hotels in Glasgow online now.