Glasgow Guide Home

Whats On Glasgow Guide
  Glasgow What's On

Glasgow Reviews

Glasgow Gallery

Glasgow Links
Discuss | Guestbook | Postcard | News | Weather | Feedback | Search | About | What's New
Glasgow Guide Discussion Boards

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )                >> View Today's Topics <<

3 Pages V  < 1 2 3 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Arden
*Guest*
post 12th Nov 2010, 02:44am
Post #16

Anyone live there mid 80's?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
snowman123
post 4th Feb 2011, 01:29am
Post #17

Lord Provost
Member No.: 9,303
QUOTE (Guest @ 12th Nov 2010, 02:22am) *
Anyone live there mid 80's?

Nope.... by then the place was full of ANIMALS !!!!

well, not quite but it was on a slippery slope by then. If only the people who introduced drugs into Arden had been stopped on time - who knows?
John Healy was instrumental in bringing drugs into Arden and he got TEN YEARS for doing it.
Served him right.... but it never stopped him. Now his son is doing it (allegedly) rolleyes.gif

--------------------
They are the champions because they are the best !!!

+Quote Post
*Sollozzo*
post 11th Feb 2011, 07:32pm
Post #18

I lived in Kilmuir road in the 80's, nothing but happy memories. moved to Kilmartin place and lived there for a few years before going to the 5's. Loved the place then. Used to drink in the trade winds with my dad and uncle.

Wouldn't wanna live there now though.

+Quote Post
*funnypuggy_123*
post 15th Jan 2012, 11:36pm
Post #19

Hi just found this place,I have lived in Arden since 1960. Yes there was gang`s if more than 2 people walked down the street they were called gang`s,and as the guy earlier said about playing fitba,most of us did that during the day and tanned hoose`s at night(WTF do you think we are)or any one else for that matter any where else,and I could guarantee that there was a lot better class of people that stayed these places than there was the one`s that left............. Yes we all had or moment`s and that is what memories are made of,and by the way I am still in ARDEN...................... tongue.gif

+Quote Post
Dotty
post 26th Jan 2012, 09:04pm
Post #20

Unpacking
Member No.: 12,358
I lived at 21 kilmuir drive from 1957 to 1973, when I left to get married, I had a great childhood there. we played over the Puggy and in the RSD, it was such an adventure. We would also walk to the shady brook and fish for minnows and tadpoles. Skipping ropes in the street and th boys playing football or marbles in the stanks. Life was so easy then. I would love to hear from others who remember this too.

+Quote Post
**Margaret**
post 12th Apr 2012, 03:31pm
Post #21

hi all. I lived in Arden 18 Kilmuir road from 1957-1966 and have very fond memories. although I was aware of gangs and the graffitti it did not affect me at all. there never was much to do except clubs at the school but it was pre-computers and mobile phones so we played outside all the time and only went home to eat and sleep. Happy days! as some others have mentioned it was a big community and most people knew one another for better or worse. same old story whatever age we live in. Kids always complain there is nothing to do.

+Quote Post
*Guest*
post 31st May 2012, 06:34pm
Post #22

haha ,, i lived at 50 kilmuir cres,, from 67 to 80,,, remember the preisty very well,,, the guy from preisthill,,, who does not remember any police,,, i can assure you ,, there was min of 20 police cars and riot vans throught the early 70s on a regular basis,,, i loved every min of growing up in Arden ,,, we all new each other,, two of my uncles headed the toon tongs,,, kenny and jim lindsay,,, my name is summy from arden primary

+Quote Post
Heather Clause
post 6th Aug 2012, 02:24pm
Post #23

Unpacking
Member No.: 4,685
The last time I visited my cousins Tommy & Frankie Campbell and my Aunt Isabel Emanuel was in 1960 before I moved stateside. They lived at 92 Kyleakin Terrace, and it was way better than our flat in Possilpark, Sunnylaw Street. I wish I could find them now (Tom & Frankie).

Sorry to hear about the downward spiral of the Thornliebank neighborhood,

+Quote Post
Doug1
post 6th Aug 2012, 10:32pm
Post #24

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 12,899
In the late 60's to mid 70's I worked as a service engineer for a south side firm and I used to dread going into certain parts of Arden. I would leave my van in the street as I made my call and could never be sure when I returned to it would still have it's wheels, however I do have to say that many of the people I visited were the salt of the earth but in some streets they just seemed to have thrown in all the scum bags and troublemakers

--------------------
ave got my opinion as well

+Quote Post
M G M
post 27th Jan 2013, 10:25pm
Post #25

Unpacking
Member No.: 9,089
QUOTE (Guest @ 31st May 2012, 06:51pm) *
haha ,, i lived at 50 kilmuir cres,, from 67 to 80,,, remember the preisty very well,,, the guy from preisthill,,, who does not remember any police,,, i can assure you ,, there was min of 20 police cars and riot vans throught the early 70s on a regular basis,,, i loved every min of growing up in Arden ,,, we all new each other,, two of my uncles headed the toon tongs,,, kenny and jim lindsay,,, my name is summy from arden primary

Ah Summy just seen this, Kenny & jim were two great guys Kenny dearly missed, jim too big to miss,had a lot of great games of fitba and fun with them both, and they were not aggressive people, and that was the thing about Arden it was full of good decent people, and a couple of idiots, who could not fight sleep............................. yes.gif

+Quote Post
*Jim,iboay*
post 8th Feb 2013, 09:01am
Post #26

QUOTE (Doug1 @ 6th Aug 2012, 10:49pm) *
In the late 60's to mid 70's I worked as a service engineer for a south side firm and I used to dread going into certain parts of Arden. I would leave my van in the street as I made my call and could never be sure when I returned to it would still have it's wheels, however I do have to say that many of the people I visited were the salt of the earth but in some streets they just seemed to have thrown in all the scum bags and troublemakers

N' here's me thinkin' Guvin boays wis feart a' nane... ceptin miby yaen frae Anderson hey.

thumbup.gif

+Quote Post
Don C.
post 27th Oct 2013, 11:14am
Post #27

Visitor
Member No.: 25,806
Hi Don Cairns here, I lived in Arden from 1955 - 1973, My Family moved from Pollokshaws to Arden, in 1955 when The Scheme,was just opening, we first stayed at ( 30 Kilmuir Road for about 6 or7 years ) then moved up to ( 72 Kyleakin Road ) Arden was a great Place to grow up in and I made a lot of great Pals growing up. ( and enemies as well ) I got married in ( 1973 ) and moved to Auldhouse, but went back every week to visit my Mum and Dad, and have a game of Football up either of the Pitches of the Schools on a Sunday afternoon. As I said Arden holds many Great Memories growing up. If anyone knows me get in touch through the Site.

--------------------
Don S. Cairns

+Quote Post
Don C.
post 8th Nov 2013, 04:24pm
Post #28

Visitor
QUOTE (Dotty @ 26th Jan 2012, 09:21pm) *
I lived at 21 kilmuir drive from 1957 to 1973, when I left to get married, I had a great childhood there. we played over the Puggy and in the RSD, it was such an adventure. We would also walk to the shady brook and fish for minnows and tadpoles. Skipping ropes in the street and th boys playing football or marbles in the stanks. Life was so easy then. I would love to hear from others who remember this too.

--------------------
Don S. Cairns

+Quote Post
Don C.
post 8th Nov 2013, 04:30pm
Post #29

Visitor
Hi Dotty, Don Cairns here, I used to stay at 30 Kilmuir road, then moved to 72, Kyleakin Road in the early sixties, What was your Surname, and did you have any brothers. I have just turned Sixty now, so have you any brothers about my age.

--------------------
Don S. Cairns

+Quote Post
portydave
post 22nd Feb 2014, 08:46am
Post #30

Unpacking
Member No.: 11,145
Lived in Kennishead flats 1970-74. My Da worked in Rawlplugs (he also managed the works fitba team). When I was on summer hols I'd take his pieces to him and join in the game at dinner-time. Got there by walking along the puggy to the industrial estate. Had a mate Rab White that lived on Kilmuir Rd (37? God knows how I remember that...

+Quote Post

3 Pages V  < 1 2 3 >
Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th Apr 2017

All material in the site Glasgow Guide is copyright of the Glasgow Guide Organisation. This material is for your own private use only, and no part of the site may be reproduced, amended, modified, copied, or transmitted to third parties, by any means whatsoever without the prior written permission of the copyright owner. All rights reserved.

Glasgow Hotels: book cheap hotels in Glasgow online now.