Glasgow Guide Home

Whats On Glasgow Guide
  Glasgow What's On

Glasgow Reviews

Glasgow Gallery

Glasgow Links
Discuss | Guestbook | Postcard | News | Weather | Feedback | Search | About | What's New
Glasgow Guide Discussion Boards

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )                >> View Today's Topics <<

4 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Anderston
jockh
post 8th Jul 2009, 05:43am
Post #16

Settling In
Member No.: 7,112
My mother was born at 3 catherine place. Family name was Bowman.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
ninab
post 8th Jul 2009, 06:58am
Post #17

Resident
Member No.: 6,992
I was born in Rotten Row Hospital and was brought up in Anderson...Finnieston Street. I have vague memories of playing down by the middens and sitting on some steep steps leading up to another street. I used to wet my knickers, take them off and throw them in the bomb shelter. My mother used to say she spent half her life going around searching for them!! Needless to say, I don't wet them now!!
I got married very,very young and moved with my husband to 84 McLellan Street, Kinning Park and we lived with his parents until we went back to London.
We then moved up to Thurso where he worked for the A.E.A..We left there and went to Zambia.

+Quote Post
*A.G. Mackinnon*
post 8th Aug 2009, 07:10pm
Post #18

Hi, my family were all born & raised at 45 Carrick St, & lived there until around 1952, then we were moved to Garnethill.
My dad's name was Jimmy & my mothers Phemia, & they had seven girls & five boys in a room & kitchen. Other Mackinnon family (Aunts/Uncles) at the"top" & "bottom" of the St.

+Quote Post
*billy bennet*
post 10th Sep 2009, 11:54am
Post #19

QUOTE (Billy Fleming @ 11th Apr 2009, 08:55pm) *
Hello there my family are all born n bred in Anderston in and around Grace St, my mum is Betty Bennett her dad was Henry and he married Jeannie Brannigan daughter of Eddie, also McIlroy's too anyone around then
cheers billy

hi billy ithink we are related i was born and brought up in 18 grace street i think betty bennet was my cousinher sissters name was jean and brothers name was henry uncles gordy bennet and wullie bennet stayed up top landing facing her

+Quote Post
rosina
post 10th Sep 2009, 12:27pm
Post #20

Unpacking
Member No.: 7,442
roina

+Quote Post
rosina
post 10th Sep 2009, 12:32pm
Post #21

Unpacking
Member No.: 7,442
to billy fleming i think we might be related my cousins name was betty bennet she had a sisster jean and a brither henry my maiden name is rose mcsherry iwas born in 18 grace street

+Quote Post
*charles kelly*
post 14th Oct 2009, 03:31pm
Post #22

i was born lancefield street 1944 we left to go to parkhead when i was 6 we lived at the top of the street in a one room flat i dont remember a lot but the bed was in a recess my dad was in merchant navy but my mum sister myself all slep in the bed iwent school for a few months before we left to parkhead .drumchapel,maryhill,all the select areas off glasgow

+Quote Post
Heather
post 7th Dec 2009, 02:01am
Post #23

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 664
I had an Aunt and Uncle called Nicol who lived in 5 Hydepark Street.
My Uncle's parents lived up the stairs from them.

When we still lived in the town, I used to go to their house every second Friday night and stay the weekend to babysit my cousin so my Aunt could go to the steamie as my Uncle worked on a Saturday morning.

They were Members of a Church round the corner from them, but as I was Catholic my Aunt always got a neighbour, I think her name was Mrs Strain to take me with her and her family to Mass at St. Patricks Chapel.

I used to play with a girl Ann MacLeod who lived across the street from my Aunt.

--------------------
Heather.......I'm tartan. Alba gu Brath. Saor Alba

+Quote Post
jock
post 7th Dec 2009, 06:39am
Post #24

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 32
My grandmother, aunts and uncles lived on Catherine Place, which I understand may now be gone. They also attended St. Patrick's chapel.

+Quote Post
Stillroom
post 20th Jan 2010, 03:29pm
Post #25

Special Visitor
Member No.: 8,022
QUOTE (stratson @ 25th Sep 2007, 07:49am) *
My Dad was born at 64 Stobcross Street in 1887.

His brother James, wife and family lived in Piccadily Street.
My brother and I used to get the Ferry at Shearer St. when we went to visit post w.w.11.
I t had a spiral staircase the close.
They moved to Warroch St. later.
Wonder if any are still living(cousin's)
Uncle James and Auntie Mary Murray retired to Rothesay where they are buried in th Rothesay Cemetery.

what a coincidence, See you also had connections with the central hotel and the state cafe, Ilived at 83 stobross street until 1953, my mother worked at the central, we moved to barlanark and I used to go to the State cafe,in the early 60's was in the guides at Eastbank Academy, it is a small world,

--------------------
Katie Bairdie

+Quote Post
*samuel Docherty*
post 14th May 2010, 05:31pm
Post #26

i was born in Anderston 1n 1946 live in Holm street and there where a lot off good memories from there and pals J Cassidy ,J ,Mc Nabb [nabby] G.Kirkwood,Bobby Wilson, Brian Folley,G.Cassidy ,the list is endless and the things we got up to is unprintable the girls where nice to it was a great place at that time biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
*jean moore*
post 24th Jul 2010, 06:20pm
Post #27

I was born in 1947 and lived in 430 Argyle street , had my 1st Holy communion at st. patricks .
My dad was Duncan Moore and my mum was connie, her best friend was Eleanor Parker who had a son called William, but they moved away ,I think to Chesterfield .
My paternal grandad was Robert Moore , he died in 1963 and I remember going into his rooms ( I seem to remember we all lived in the same tenement ) and he used to dish out the malt from a big jug.
Moved away from glasgow and came to London in the late '50's but go back as often as I can .
My mum's sister was Jean married to tommy mcFadyen they lived in William street and then Carrick street.

jean

+Quote Post
tombro
post 26th Jul 2010, 10:21am
Post #28

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 5,289
Jean,

Funny things happen and while I don't know any of the names you mention I had a Great Granny who lived in William Street (No. 15 I think from memory) and a Granny who lived in Crimea Street, No. 32 on the corner of Carrick Street.

My Crimea Street Granny got moved to Scotstoun (I think the Plean Street Flats) in the early 1960s after my family emigrated to Australia.

Regards,
Tombro rolleyes.gif

--------------------
Today is the first day of the rest of your life !

+Quote Post
*Michael Meighan*
post 2nd Sep 2010, 09:09am
Post #29

Hi There. I don't recognise any names except for Cassidy? I was born at Rottenrow in 1950, lived at 4 North Street before moving to Knightswood in 1964. Was at St Patrick's Infants then moved to St Pat's in Bishop Street. I have put all of this in a book: Glasgow Smells. What a playground it was.

Michael Meighan

+Quote Post
Stevie3
post 11th Oct 2011, 01:16am
Post #30

Unpacking
Member No.: 2,029
Hi anyone know any Stevensons William James John Sarah and Margaret they were all born I think in Cadzow St William Married Magaret Robertson James married Mary Speirs Sarah married Robert Mcguire Margaret Married Robert McMunnigall John never married

Happy to hear from anyone who knows any of their decendants

Bill Stevenson in Australia

Busman

+Quote Post

4 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 >
Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd Mar 2017

All material in the site Glasgow Guide is copyright of the Glasgow Guide Organisation. This material is for your own private use only, and no part of the site may be reproduced, amended, modified, copied, or transmitted to third parties, by any means whatsoever without the prior written permission of the copyright owner. All rights reserved.

Glasgow Hotels: book cheap hotels in Glasgow online now.