Glasgow Guide Home

Whats On Glasgow Guide
  Glasgow What's On

Glasgow Reviews

Glasgow Gallery

Glasgow Links
Discuss | Guestbook | Postcard | News | Weather | Feedback | Search | About | What's New
Glasgow Guide Discussion Boards

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )                >> View Today's Topics <<

4 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Anderston
GG
post 17th Mar 2007, 02:58pm
Post #1

Administrator
Group Icon
Member No.: 1
Please post your memories of this Glasgow district here...Anderston

Were you born here? Did you grow up here?
Did you visit your aunt here? ...or your children?
Was your first home here? Were your children born here?
Did you shop here? Was your favourite cinema here?
Did you go to church here? Was your favourite pub here?
Did you 'romance' here? Did you go to school here?
Do you have a photograph from here?

Come on let us know and immortalise your memories here...Anderston

GG.

--------------------
Help: Register :: Login :: Forgot password? :: gg@glasgowguide.co.uk
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
lindamac
post 12th Apr 2007, 10:51pm
Post #2

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 3,807
biggrin.gif My lovely mother lived here with her parents & 3 brothers. wub.gif

--------------------
Ye Cin Take The Lassie Oota Glesga But Ye Cannae Take Glesga Oota The Lassie

+Quote Post
stratson
post 25th Sep 2007, 07:51am
Post #3

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 1,660
My Dad was born at 64 Stobcross Street in 1887.

His brother James, wife and family lived in Piccadily Street.
My brother and I used to get the Ferry at Shearer St. when we went to visit post w.w.11.
I t had a spiral staircase the close.
They moved to Warroch St. later.
Wonder if any are still living(cousin's)
Uncle James and Auntie Mary Murray retired to Rothesay where they are buried in th Rothesay Cemetery.

--------------------
"WELCOME TO MY WORLD"

+Quote Post
jock
post 26th Sep 2007, 03:13am
Post #4

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 32
My grandmother and her very large family lived at no3 Catherine Place, right across the street from a stable.

+Quote Post
tombro
post 13th Jan 2008, 09:23am
Post #5

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 5,289
My Granny lived in 32 Crimea Street in Anderston so I guess my Dad was born somewhere around there in 1922. Granny lived in a one room place on the top floor of a pretty derelict place (usual lavvy without a light halfway between two floors).

There was a swing park diagonally opposite across Carrick Street and my brother and I used to love hanging out Gran's window at ten o'clock every morning to watch the steamer to Dunoon and Rothsay pass by at the bottom of the street.

With Mum and Dad both working, my brother and I spent a lot of our School Holiday Times in Anderston (Gran use to come up to Drumchapel each day to look after us before and after school in school times !) and we used to have lots of fun.

Saturday's were great because after going shopping, usually at C&A or Lewis' or Marks & Spencers, my brother and I would jump on a tram to Parkhead and find someone to ift us over the turnstile for free entry ! Can you imagine two wee boys, one six and one nine, doing that today ?

A little memory of Anderston

Tom Brown

--------------------
Today is the first day of the rest of your life !

+Quote Post
*ISABELLA CASTLE*
post 14th Jul 2008, 10:50pm
Post #6

QUOTE (GG @ 17th Mar 2007, 03:15 PM) *
Please post your memories of this Glasgow district here...Anderston

Were you born here? Did you grow up here?
Did you visit your aunt here? ...or your children?
Was your first home here? Were your children born here?
Did you shop here? Was your favourite cinema here?
Did you go to church here? Was your favourite pub here?
Did you 'romance' here? Did you go to school here?
Do you have a photograph from here?

Come on let us know and immortalise your memories here...Anderston

GG.

Posted
I was born in Lancefield Street in 1943 all my relatives lived in Anderston, my maiden name was
BOND my grandfather lived in Stobcross Street, My other grandfather/grandmother lived in Lancefield Street. I used to go to the Gaiety and Kelvin cinemas with my mother. I went to Finneston School in Port Street.

+Quote Post
*audreysteadman*
post 30th Oct 2008, 03:40pm
Post #7

I am replying to Isabella Castle who posted on here saying she had Bond family living in Anderston, Glasgow. My mother Gayda Margaret lived with her grandfather William Bond, who lived in Stobcross Street. My mother Gayda had a brother called Billy who also lived here. Gayda's mother was Margaret Bond who was a dancer and left Glasgow to pursue this more. I have been trying to trace my family tree for years, could you please reply to me and let me have some more information, i do beleive you are related to my mum, as she said she had cousin called Isabella if you have any information please get in touch with me, this has taken me ages to do.

my email address is: audreystead@aol.com

+Quote Post
*audrey steadman*
post 31st Oct 2008, 12:00pm
Post #8

message for Isabella CAstle can you plese email me as i think we are related, my mothers name is Gayda Margaret Bond, her mothers name was Margaret Phylis Bond. Margaret's grandfather William Bond brought her up in Stobcross Street, then Hamilton Hill. Please can you email me, as i have been doing searches for a long time now, and finally have a breathrough.

Many thanks audreystead@aol.com

+Quote Post
audreystead
post 6th Nov 2008, 04:53pm
Post #9

Settling In
Member No.: 6,172
QUOTE (ISABELLA CASTLE @ 14th Jul 2008, 10:58pm) *
Posted
I was born in Lancefield Street in 1943 all my relatives lived in Anderston, my maiden name was
BOND my grandfather lived in Stobcross Street, My other grandfather/grandmother lived in Lancefield Street. I used to go to the Gaiety and Kelvin cinemas with my mother. I went to Finneston School in Port Street.

Message to Isabella Castle who posted on here about living in Anderston. I believe my mother Gayda Margaret is related to you, her name was also Bond and she was brought up by her grandfather William Bond in Stobcross Street. Her mothers name was Margaret Phylis Bond, Williams daughter. If you see this message please can you email me my email address is as follows:- audreystead@aol.com I would really like to talk to you, i have been researching family tree for 10 years now, and this is the only breakthrough i have had. Thank you

+Quote Post
*John57*
post 18th Nov 2008, 12:03am
Post #10

i also was born in Anderston in 1957 as was my brothers and sisters..my surname is Grimes..i was born in crimea st..played in the swing park..and robert was the name of the parkie..we also stayed at corner of Bishop St it was then that my brother Robert died near Anderston cross hit by a bus 1962.. my dada worked some nights in quentins and the Wee Mans bars..as a kid growing up there i thot it was great...my mums family been in Anderston since 1860s and really its any member of her family or descendants im looking for now...her maiden name was McMunnagil.. father Robert(ben)..grandparents John and Mary..grt grandparents Robert and Isabella..other families that married into them or a family member was ... McConnel..Murphy..Andrews... Morrison..Black.. Armstrong.. ive tried other sites looking for members genes reunited so if you see this and recognise something and are a member on genes then look for my posts on the Trying to find Board... McMunnagil/Mc|Munnagill..

+Quote Post
*Billy Fleming*
post 11th Apr 2009, 08:38pm
Post #11

Hello there my family are all born n bred in Anderston in and around Grace St, my mum is Betty Bennett her dad was Henry and he married Jeannie Brannigan daughter of Eddie, also McIlroy's too anyone around then
cheers billy

+Quote Post
nessie80
post 31st May 2009, 12:47am
Post #12

Settling In
Member No.: 6,961
my dad and his 2 brothers were brought up in Lancefield st, I think it was #44, their name was Leyden. My dads mother was also from Anderston, she was a McAllister ?MacAllister. Her name was Maggie she had a sister Annie and a brother Neil. Annie's married name was Doran, one of her sons were killed in a shipyard accident in the early 60's. My other granny was an Elliot, and lived in Port Street. My great granny was Catherine Elliot and she lived across the street from the finnieston ferry boat.....As as a small child I used to play in a swing park near Lancefield Street, that was back around 1958 -1960. My granny was one of the last tennents to leave Lancefield Street, she had lived there all her married life.

+Quote Post
tassiedevil
post 31st May 2009, 01:25am
Post #13

Super Visitor
Member No.: 5,332
My Dad James Mitchell LAWSON, was born 15 MAR 1925 8.45pm at 90 Oran Street Glasgow

His Father was David Anderson LAWSON, joiner (journeyman) son of James LAWSON (b. Scotland) & Mary TRAYNOR.

His Mother was Agnes Wright FITZSIMONS (b. Scotland) daughter of Samuel FITZSIMMONS & Agnes WRIGHT

They were married 6th JUNE 1924 in Toronto, Canada. I still don't know why or how my Grandparents were married in Canada.

Dad did his apprenticeship as a Joiner with James Stuart & Co in Saracen St and was living with the Kerr family at 70 Sunnylaw Street,Possilpark, before moving to Australia in 1949.

Sadly he passed away in 1998 sad.gif

+Quote Post
**Andy hewitt**
post 12th Jun 2009, 04:34am
Post #14

QUOTE (lindamac @ 12th Apr 2007, 11:08pm) *
biggrin.gif My lovely mother lived here with her parents & 3 brothers. wub.gif

Whats your Mothers Maiden name,
Im trying to find my Dads family , He grew up in Anderston. and he was one of three brother and one sister..Name is Hewitt

+Quote Post
wee mags
post 5th Jul 2009, 05:17pm
Post #15

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 12
I just found out my sister -in-laws maiden name was Charles she came from a big family

--------------------
fae Maryhill noo the USA

+Quote Post

4 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 27th Jun 2017

All material in the site Glasgow Guide is copyright of the Glasgow Guide Organisation. This material is for your own private use only, and no part of the site may be reproduced, amended, modified, copied, or transmitted to third parties, by any means whatsoever without the prior written permission of the copyright owner. All rights reserved.

Glasgow Hotels: book cheap hotels in Glasgow online now.