Glasgow Guide Home

Whats On Glasgow Guide
  Glasgow What's On

Glasgow Reviews

Glasgow Gallery

Glasgow Links
Discuss | Guestbook | Postcard | News | Weather | Feedback | Search | About | What's New
Glasgow Guide Discussion Boards

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )                >> View Today's Topics <<

12 Pages V  « < 4 5 6 7 8 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> People Make Glasgow, New slogan for the city
*Guest*
post 5th Jul 2013, 11:50am
Post #76

People Make Glasgow? Geez Peace! People Make Every City!

We already have a great city slogan.... LET GLASGOW FLOURISH.

Why didn't they use that one?

Samantha.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
DavidT
post 5th Jul 2013, 03:34pm
Post #77

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 13,194
I like that one too Samantha, but they're a wee bit feart to use that sort of thing as it's closely associated with Christianity and the church..."Let Glasgow flourish with the teaching of his word" or words to that effect. I think it's a great motto and it reflects Glasgow's history as well as a message of hope for the future.
Incidentally it's also the motto of Paisley..although I think it's nearer "Paisley smells of flourish" laugh.gif
Only kidding all you buddies oot there.

+Quote Post
Jimmuck
post 12th Jul 2013, 01:48pm
Post #78

Resident
Member No.: 546
Whit's wrang wae yoozin "Glesga' Folks Rock!" furr so thae dae, so thae dae! LMFAO! thumbup.gif thumbup.gif thumbup.gif

--------------------
"Watch Yurr Mooth!"

+Quote Post
DavidT
post 17th Jul 2013, 05:36am
Post #79

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 13,194
What is it with cities, regions, countries constantly branding, rebranding and concentrating on their image all the time? I wonder if Glasgow or any other place ever lives up to its chosen public image.
Glasgow Airport has also had a rebrand in time for the Commonwealth Games. I wonder how much this cost..

Attached Image

+Quote Post
Scotsman
post 17th Jul 2013, 03:49pm
Post #80

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 4,353
Bonkers!! Where will it end??

I think a lot of this tosh is to make people feel important by spending other peoples money. With the council surely it would be better for them spend money on fixing potholes or clearing up litter than to keep rebranding all the time.

+Quote Post
*RussT*
post 17th Jul 2013, 09:23pm
Post #81

Glasgow Airport is run by a company and the cost of its rebrand is of concern only to that company's board of directors, shareholders and management. Nothing to do with Glasgow City Council!

+Quote Post
GG
post 18th Jul 2013, 07:18pm
Post #82

Administrator
Group Icon
Member No.: 1
The production of the logo was ordered by Heathrow Airport Holdings, the owners of Glasgow Airport. The move to brand the airport separately from the parent company was made from an HQ in London after the company changed its name from BAA. Heathrow Airport Holdings is itself owned by the Spanish company Ferrovial. In view of this Anglo-Spanish ownership, perhaps the mimicking of a Scottish thistle is meant to be ironic? wink.gif

Read more about the development of the Glasgow Airport brand at the link below, and read how Glasgow's 'leaders' are simply gushing with praise ...

Scottish agency’s new Thistle brand takes off at Glasgow Airport
http://www.allmediascotland.com/media-rele...lasgow-airport/

GG.

--------------------
Help: Register :: Login :: Forgot password? :: gg@glasgowguide.co.uk

+Quote Post
Scotsman
post 19th Jul 2013, 02:37pm
Post #83

Mega City Key Holder
QUOTE (RussT @ 17th Jul 2013, 09:31pm) *
Glasgow Airport is run by a company and the cost of its rebrand is of concern only to that company's board of directors, shareholders and management. Nothing to do with Glasgow City Council!

I didnae see anyone on here blaming the cooncil for the airport logo??

But not sure what you are saying RussT because the company still gets its money from the public as customers.... unless you are saying that the directors etc dipped into their own pockets to pay for the new logo.... now that would be a first and I would applaud these fellows!! smile.gif

+Quote Post
*Guest*
post 20th Jul 2013, 05:20am
Post #84

I prefered this one, used in Glasgow many a year....

We are The People!

laugh.gif

+Quote Post
Mrs L
post 21st Jul 2013, 02:48am
Post #85

Visitor
Member No.: 7,894
You know for years I thought I was hearing "The wee arrow people". Then I repeated it several times using my broadest Glasgow accent and I remembered!

+Quote Post
*RussT*
post 21st Jul 2013, 01:10pm
Post #86

I didnae see anyone on here blaming the cooncil for the airport logo??

The "cooncil" sems to get the blame for an awful lot on this board.

But not sure what you are saying RussT because the company still gets its money from the public as customers.... unless you are saying that the directors etc dipped into their own pockets to pay for the new logo.... now that would be a first and I would applaud these fellows!!

I am saying quite simply that how a company reinvests its income is of interest only to its board of directors, shareholders and management. The users of Glasgow International Airport pay, directly or indirectly, to use the airport and its facilities. That does not entitle them to a say in how the airport is run or how the company which runs it disburses its income.

+Quote Post
Scotsman
post 22nd Jul 2013, 10:06am
Post #87

Mega City Key Holder
Fair enough on the second part.... point taken.... let the management do what they want if it keeps them happy!!

But I still dont see where anyone blamed the cooncil for the Glasgow Airport sign although I do see that they have been blamed for the People Make Glasgow logo. I am sure they are big enough to take both the booing and the applause.

+Quote Post
carmella
post 27th Jul 2013, 05:33pm
Post #88

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 58
Think yourselves lucky, I still reel and cower with huge embarrassment every time I drive past Prestwick (Glasgow) Airport splashed across you see.....

PURE DEAD BRILLIANT OMG how embarrassing is this, and yet no sign (no pun intended ) of changing it to something sensible.

As for Glasgow Airport itself, why not just leave it at GLASGOW AIRPORT or even ABBOTSINCH now is that no novel LOL.

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image

--------------------
It is possible to fail in many ways...while to succeed is possible only in one way.
- Aristotle

+Quote Post
GG
post 28th Jul 2013, 11:26am
Post #89

Administrator
Group Icon
Member No.: 1
Looks like the people behind the 'People Make Glasgow' slogan are not impressed by the Scotsman and/or Google after the newspaper revealed that Google search suggestions link Glasgow to poverty and violence, while a similar searches for Edinburgh reveals it is linked to wind and cold.

The Glasgow Marketing Bureau, which recently launched the “People Make Glasgow” slogan, which replaced “Glasgow: Scotland With Style” at a cost of 500,000 to Glasgow City Council, said it did not wish to comment.

Attached Image

Attached Image

Google reveals questions asked about Scotland

Search engine Google has revealed the questions the world wants to know about Scotland and its major cities and unfortunately, not all of them are flattering.

Google’s autocomplete service, which automatically suggests the most common search terms people are using when certain information is entered, has passed judgment on Scotland’s four biggest cities, and the results suggest that despite efforts to “sell” Scotland as an upmarket tourist destination worldwide, certain stereotypes are hard to shake off.

When asking “Why is Glasgow so...” Google autocomplete suggests words such as “violent”, “unhealthy”, “poor” and “dangerous”, while the question “Why is Edinburgh so...” elicits responses including “cold”, “expensive”, “haunted” and “windy”. ...

Full story here:
http://www.scotsman.com/news/odd/google-re...tland-1-3018660

GG.

--------------------
Help: Register :: Login :: Forgot password? :: gg@glasgowguide.co.uk

+Quote Post
marcam7
post 1st Aug 2013, 04:26pm
Post #90

Visitor
Member No.: 7,824
Glasgow?It's there for all to see..: (would like to put wee smiley men where the o's are but a cannae dae that)

+Quote Post

12 Pages V  « < 4 5 6 7 8 > » 
Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 27th Oct 2020

All material in the site Glasgow Guide is copyright of the Glasgow Guide Organisation. This material is for your own private use only, and no part of the site may be reproduced, amended, modified, copied, or transmitted to third parties, by any means whatsoever without the prior written permission of the copyright owner. All rights reserved.

Glasgow Hotels: book cheap hotels in Glasgow online now.