Glasgow Guide Home

Whats On Glasgow Guide
  Glasgow What's On

Glasgow Reviews

Glasgow Gallery

Glasgow Links
Discuss | Guestbook | Postcard | News | Weather | Feedback | Search | About | What's New
Glasgow Guide Discussion Boards

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )                >> View Today's Topics <<

22 Pages V  « < 20 21 22  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Glasgow Residential Schools, Did you go to any?
*Caroline Murphy*
post 25th Oct 2016, 09:22pm
Post #316

Regarding Lumsden residential school in Maybole. I was there with my two younger sisters in the mid 70s and it was absolute hell. I was beaten every day by the headmistress Mrs/Miss McCluskey, she would batter the back of my hands daily with a metal ruler and then sent me to the auxiliary to receive treatment for the swelling and bruising, if my younger sisters did anything wrong I was the one punished because I was the oldest and I should be controlling them, the whole school was woke up at midnight to go to the toilet to ensure that no one wet the bed, my youngest sister was only four and didn't get up when she was told so she wet the bed. I was dragged into the toilets by McCluskey and dragged around by the hair, I was slapped and punched, then she grabbed me by my side locks and hit my head off of the tiled wall 6 times before she threw me to the floor, this happened in front of the other residents. I wasn't allowed to write what was happening to me in my letters to my parents, I had to copy from the blackboard what was to be put in my letters. Every night before we, the residents, all went to bed,we were told to remove our underwear and put it at the bottom of our beds under the blankets so that the nightly inspection, while we were asleep, proved that we had obeyed. I went through hell for 4 weeks at Lumsden residential school at the hands of McCluskey and no one would help me. I asked the staff for help, they refused and reported me to McCluskey and I was battered again, the auxiliary said that McCluskey should stop doing this but she wouldn't help either. When I got home and my mum heard what had been going on she tried to get the bus driver to take her to Maybole to confront McCluskey needless to say he refused. The Glasgow corporation/council who ran the school wouldn't do anything about the countless attacks on me and my dad's hands were tied because he was a council worker and he was made to "understand" exactly what his future employment prospects were if he tried to take the complaint against Lumsden and McCluskey any further. There hasn't been a day that I haven't relived those attacks.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
**Kevin**
post 4th Dec 2016, 09:18pm
Post #317

Wishing stones on top of a mountain we had to climb to get to them we all had to take hands circle round the stones & sing ahone ahone ahone I wish apon a stone tell it to nun true it will come ahone ahone ahone then everyone had to touch a stone & make a wish they never came true.

+Quote Post
**Kevin**
post 4th Dec 2016, 09:19pm
Post #318

QUOTE (Roma Ohara hargan @ 17th Sep 2015, 08:34pm) *
wishing stones on top of a mountain we had to climb to get to them we all had to take hands circle round the stones & sing ahone ahone ahone I wish apon a stone tell it to nun true it will come ahone ahone ahone then everyone had to touch a stone & make a wish they never came true ...

The stories here are very sobering!
I'm interested in the wishing stone a couple of folk here have mentioned. I'm trying to gather info to draw illustrations of "Stanes wi names" in Glenisla as a social history. This one has memories for lots of folk. (#Stanes_wi_names). I'd really appreciate some guidance on the location of the hill with the wishing stones, I suspect it o be Craiglea Hill or the Knock of Formal. If anyone can point me in the right direction, I would be affa grateful. Some Glenisla stones so far: https://flic.kr/s/aHskHUpZVd

Happy to supply back a pen n ink.
Thanks very much.

+Quote Post
**edd**
post 11th Dec 2016, 12:08am
Post #319

QUOTE (mitchell @ 14th Jun 2007, 09:29pm) *
Does anyone recall Seafield residential school just outside Ardrossan?.

I was there twice in the early seventies...loved it. The staff were brilliant and caring.

+Quote Post
**Carol**
post 2nd Mar 2017, 11:36pm
Post #320

Hi I was in fornethy in 1982 am just wondering if anyone is there when I was it was something I put out of my head as soon as I left but has always played on my mind yes I remember Mrs Fletcher and miss Robertson and a few others that had enjoyed the way they had treaded children.

+Quote Post
**Violet**
post 5th Mar 2017, 04:22pm
Post #321

QUOTE (Roma Ohara hargan @ 17th Sep 2015, 08:34pm) *
Hi I know this is a lot of years later since you all spoke about fornethy I agree they should be sued if everyone United & it Glasgow council who would be sued I went 4 years in a row there & remember everything I was age 7 first time I went 1975 it was my birthday I was 8 the month February which wasn't a holiday so those saying they went for a summer holiday that wasn't the case it 4 always 4 weeks everyone went for you got the coach from a school up near the barras I'm now 47 I came from possilpark now live in Blackpool I was in dorm reekalyne first time I went the dorm foster was next to mine I got made to stand in the cold bathroom outside those to dorms in my nighty they didn't let you wear nickers or slippers I remember a teacher picking me up of a freezing cold floor fast asleep I had been left in there for about 5 hours age 7 I'm sure it was that bastard Mrs Robinson who put me in there left me all that time after that it happened on a regular basis but it was the cold creepy library I'd be put for the 4 yrs after that told to stand in front of an old Coal fire that wouldn't be on there for hours it was only in primary school we got sent there no one I know went during secondary school also everyone only went during school time I went 1976, 77, 78, & 79 think the staff there thought I was a regular they all new me well & didn't forget me for every punch slap & stand in that library I rebelled I gave them something to be hit for after that yes I suffered but I know I done their nuts right in glad I did. Head mistress goofy cow her & her dog that looked like her even the dog had goofy teeth Mrs fletcher her dog was called Kirsty then that old shit Mrs Locky Mrs Robinson & one was miss McMinn she got married can't remember her married name it wasn't a waterfall we walked to it was dundees Damm Robinson would walk us there 3 & half mile there & back so 7 miles we had to to my first time I was 7 but there was wee one age 5 how many mothers out there can say their kid was happy to go on a 7 mile walk at that age so you can imagine how many kids complained & ended up way wellie rashes & for complaining you got a massive desert spoon of castor oil I hated boiled egg just could eat eggs they new it so every time I saw boiled eggs for breakfast when you lined up to go in the dining room I new I would be sat in there for hours on my own cause I wouldn't eat them or I was sick when they were forcing it down my throat on some days they would say hands up who wants extra those who liked them put their hands up and no matter what teacher was there each one would keep one for me & say you like boiled eggs don't you rona sitting there crying in front of about 80 girls every student knew it the ones that were there the month & years I went some would past on to each other who where at the front of the que to me at the back letting me know it was boiled eggs I'd be crying before I got in the dining room also that ment I didn't have to que up for the tuck shop cause I knew I wasn't getting any for not eating boiled eggs some evening same again it would be boiled egg & cheese sauce this would be about 4.30-5 o'clock as for me I'd be sat on my own in that dining room till it was bedtime someone would come & get me as they were passing to go to the upstairs dorms the names of the upstairs dorms was Esk, ogol, prosen, clover, & Isla that's the dorm Isla where everyone would say that's where those old lady's where buried the old ladies they were referring to was to two old lady's photos that hang on the wall in that library above the fire place & actualy in that dorm was to big in shots at one end of the dorm were they had been said to of been buried freaked you out & the odd thing would happen out the blue from that dorm I can't remember what they were now. I remember stony brae ok going down those big boulders & torcher walking back up that tested all us if you complained about something they never forgot & each teacher would tell the other Locky grabbed me by the ears nearly every day or slapped your bare legs skipping to yellow river, & I've got a brand new harvester il give you the key haha they song haunt me the kid on wishing stones on top of a mountain we had to climb to get to them we all had to take hands circle round the stones & sing ahone ahone ahone I wish apon a stone tell it to nun true it will come ahone ahone ahone then everyone had to touch a stone & make a wish they never came true everyone wished for their mammy & to go home nobody went so the wishes were Nonsense excuse to walk us up that far. The two fat lady's that washed us stood naked in a line their names were connie blonde headed woman massive fat one didn't speak hands rough as washing you way carbolic soap her name was Maggie her rough hands I don't me rough handling us I mean she never had soft hands I hated her touching my feet in the dining room one member of staff that waited on us she was fat ugly gocky one eye went to the shop other came back way the change she always came round carrying that big teapot I had to miss out on loads of things because of boiled eggs I wasn't aloud sweets or I had to stand outside the play room while everyone dances or played musical bumps sang songs I didn't get to join in on whatever the activity would be on boiled egg days & im sure it was a Saturday evening it would be boiled eggs & cheese sauce so I would get to sit in the play room on our wee row of chairs in our pyjamas & eating sweets but when I got sent to the medical room they called if just of the cloak room for a dose of castor oil sometimes double dose if I brought the first dose up I'd keep it in my mouth when I got to the clock room who ever the teacher was that day who took us a walk I use to sit the castor oil into their wellies they staff in there should of been taken to court n punished they're probably dead now but if one is alive I hope your named & shamed even if you were in your 80 wouldn't dream of hitting an old woman but anyone of them I'd knock her own no matter what age they were & id do time but you know what it would of been worth it the chance any of them alive probably zilch so everyone Glasgow board of council that's who we have to fight me I'm up for it I'd love to hear a lot of people feel the same some kids went there timid after 4 week they were different & fiery they staff took our personality & trust from us people wonder why there was a lot of angry agressive kids grown up I bet if asked at that time had they ever been to fornethy residential school they would of said yes it was an all girls ressi that's why you here some people say that wee lassie she use to be nice but it's like she changed over night yes that's true but it was over 4 weeks so one mentioned there should be a movie about this yes I agree as it would be based on a true story & true events sorry to anyone who feels they disagree with what I say all I can say to that is you must of been one of the lucky ones because not to know all I've said you must of been a teachers pet or just pure lucky but I think there is hundreds of woman out there who would agree with me I would love to hear feed back on my quote lady's thank you all & I am Rona from possilpark.

+Quote Post
**Violet**
post 16th Mar 2017, 10:05pm
Post #322

One thing I can say regards the teachers at Fornethy is they were consistent in their treatment towards the children that suffered daily at their hands.

I went in 1970 and remember everything but just cannot believe it was still going on years after.

I think I went into shock as I had never known such violence from adults. The thing that I kept thinking was surely this can't be happening and agree with Rona the story should be told so a few weeks ago I contacted the police and told them exactly what happened to me. I live in England so I just went to my local police station who have given my details to police in Scotland. So if you were like me abused by Fletcher and her mental staff please get in touch with them.. even if nothing comes from it... It made me feel better telling someone how cruel these people were. Just wished I done it years ago...so to Rona and everyone who lived through those weeks of cruelty tell your story to the police the more people that do it the better. We don't need to hide it we never done anything wrong we were children of that time which is not our fault... LETS DO PAYBACK FOR EVERY SLAP...

+Quote Post
DannyH
post 16th Mar 2017, 11:43pm
Post #323

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 8,412
Violet, I hope that you get support in your effort to get what you and others suffered, when you were children, made known to the public. It is unbelievable that this has been kept secret for so long.
I hope you do get payback. You all deserve it.

Regards

Danny Harris

+Quote Post
*Ann Droid*
post 21st Mar 2017, 09:59pm
Post #324

QUOTE (*Violet* @ 16th Mar 2017, 10:05pm) *
One thing I can say regards the teachers at Fornethy is they were consistent in their treatment towards the children that suffered daily at their hands.

I went in 1970 and remember everything but just cannot believe it was still going on years after.

I think I went into shock as I had never known such violence from adults. The thing that I kept thinking was surely this can't be happening and agree with Rona the story should be told so a few weeks ago I contacted the police and told them exactly what happened to me. I live in England so I just went to my local police station who have given my details to police in Scotland. So if you were like me abused by Fletcher and her mental staff please get in touch with them.. even if nothing comes from it... It made me feel better telling someone how cruel these people were. Just wished I done it years ago...so to Rona and everyone who lived through those weeks of cruelty tell your story to the police the more people that do it the better. We don't need to hide it we never done anything wrong we were children of that time which is not our fault... LETS DO PAYBACK FOR EVERY SLAP...

I was at a particular residential school and there was one, as I know now one male paedophile teacher. As he made no approach to me I cant sign off on him. However if you are in the financial situation to do so I would recommend putting them in the hands of those better equipped at administering justice on your behalf; like a good lawyer.

+Quote Post
wombat
post 22nd Mar 2017, 12:04am
Post #325

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 5,196

sad.gif horror chamber. sad.gif

--------------------
the mighty only appear mighty
because YOU are on your knees.RISE UP.

wombat thit grates oan yie.

+Quote Post
*Ian Hillon*
post 5th Aug 2017, 07:26pm
Post #326

I was at colintraive for 2 spells in the late fifties early sixties. I lived in drumchapel at the time.Went to cleddans primary.Sent there as I had asthma,not because I had educational needs or was unruly as some press indicated.Loved my time there.I remember Mr Crabbe and some massive dogs. I would to hear from anyone who remembers me.66 now and now staying in cumbernauld.Best wishes to you all.Ian Hillon.

+Quote Post
*heldo*
post 19th Oct 2017, 11:16pm
Post #327

I was in Fornethy 3 maybe four times with my sister on two occasions who was younger.

I didn't mind the walks, quite enjoyed them really, hated the wellies and the ring of confidence round your calfs.

Hated the communal showers was you weren't grouped on age and obviously some were more self conscious than others .

Yes got made to stand in corridor a couple of times, one because I was room monitor and folk wouldn't stop talking, not sure what I was to do about it but I stood in the corridor anyway.

The past is the past, Glasgow thought they were doing right by us and our parents, who well mines anyway didn't have much money and it was the next best thing they could do to get us fresh air.

+Quote Post

22 Pages V  « < 20 21 22
Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 21st Jul 2018

All material in the site Glasgow Guide is copyright of the Glasgow Guide Organisation. This material is for your own private use only, and no part of the site may be reproduced, amended, modified, copied, or transmitted to third parties, by any means whatsoever without the prior written permission of the copyright owner. All rights reserved.

Glasgow Hotels: book cheap hotels in Glasgow online now.