Glasgow Guide Home

Whats On Glasgow Guide
  Glasgow What's On

Glasgow Reviews

Glasgow Gallery

Glasgow Links
Discuss | Guestbook | Postcard | News | Weather | Feedback | Search | About | What's New
Glasgow Guide Discussion Boards

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )                >> View Today's Topics <<

5 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Local Elections 2017, Tories in Ferguslie Park
bilbo.s
post 6th May 2017, 08:27am
Post #1

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 5,582
"No one in Ferguslie Park voted for a Tory. The Tory got in on the 9th count and got in by default and it's because of how the voting works with STV.
The ward of Ferguslie Park is included with a very middle class area of newly built properties in Paisley north and they are who voted the Tory not the good people of Ferguslie Park !
The MSM would have us believe that a deprived area like the Park voted Tory when in actual fact the Tory candidate wasn't even in the area for the polling station or the count!
Utterly disgusting how they have used these good people to discredit the SNP!"

An opinion from a local.

--------------------
Just because we disagree doesn't mean I don't like you, and just because I don't like you doesn't mean I disagree with you.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
bilbo.s
post 6th May 2017, 08:36am
Post #2

Mega City Key Holder
http://election.news.sky.com/

--------------------
Just because we disagree doesn't mean I don't like you, and just because I don't like you doesn't mean I disagree with you.

+Quote Post
john.mcn
post 6th May 2017, 08:56am
Post #3

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 5,545
I take it that the local is an SNP supporter laugh.gif

Paisley Northwest, which includes Ferguslie park, has under the single transferable vote elected a conservative councillor.. This is a fact.

Over in East Renfrewshire the SNP has lost a seat and the conservatives are now the largest party with each ward now electing at least 1 conservative.

How could anyone one have predicted that the public would react this way after having their EU remain vote hijacked and a year of INDY2 chants from Nicola Sturgeon and her Sturgettes, well loads of people inc myself have been saying this very thing.
The SNP will of course hail this a victory as they have increased their councillors, but if they're not worried that the Tories more than doubling their tally then they're just falling into that same trap Labour did by thinking they're untouchable.
Give it a few years and these areas promised the earth and not had it delivered will dump the SNP just as it did Labour.

--------------------
“The most puzzling development in politics during the last decade is the apparent determination of Western European leaders to re-create the Soviet Union in Western Europe.”
Mikhail Gorbachev

+Quote Post
bilbo.s
post 6th May 2017, 09:06am
Post #4

Mega City Key Holder
Yer bum in a tinny!

https://www.craigmurray.org.uk/archives/201...-super-triumph/

Just to add, Shettleston Ward includes Sandyhills, Mount Vernon, Carmyle etc, not only the deprived district of Shettleston.

--------------------

+Quote Post
GG
post 6th May 2017, 09:14am
Post #5

Administrator
Group Icon
Member No.: 1
Says it all really...

Attached Image

GG.

--------------------
Help: Register :: Login :: Forgot password? :: gg@glasgowguide.co.uk

+Quote Post
john.mcn
post 6th May 2017, 10:11am
Post #6

Mega City Key Holder
QUOTE (bilbo.s @ 6th May 2017, 09:06am) *
Yer bum in a tinny!

https://www.craigmurray.org.uk/archives/201...-super-triumph/

Just to add, Shettleston Ward includes Sandyhills, Mount Vernon, Carmyle etc, not only the deprived district of Shettleston.

So what is Craig Murrays point? Is he against new properties near to 'deprived' areas, does that mean he disagreed with the crap load spent on 'Feegie' in the 90's building new homes or the close by Phoenix retail park with an Asda, pictures, car showrooms and restaurants offering loads of jobs.

The Tory candidate 'only' got 13%, well the Labour party candidate came second but due to the STV only got elected after the 8th count, after the SNP's 2nd candidate.. Whats my point, PR is fine and dandy for some SNP supporters when it suits their purpose but as soon as it doesn't then it a dodgy way of counting votes. The Tories quite rightly get a representative in the area because the people wanted one!

--------------------
“The most puzzling development in politics during the last decade is the apparent determination of Western European leaders to re-create the Soviet Union in Western Europe.”
Mikhail Gorbachev

+Quote Post
JAGZ1876
post 6th May 2017, 10:18am
Post #7

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 10,964
Great result for the SNP, as Ruths Party campaigned on a "NO to a second referendum", then after only getting 276 seats to the SNP's 431 will she now accept the democratic will of the people of Scotland? unsure.gif

+Quote Post
john.mcn
post 6th May 2017, 10:41am
Post #8

Mega City Key Holder
Did the SNP win more than 50% of the vote, councillors or do they have control of any councils?

--------------------
Mikhail Gorbachev

+Quote Post
fourbytwo
post 6th May 2017, 12:10pm
Post #9

Resident
Member No.: 665
It was interesting to see Labour Councillors from last election, scrambling to see if they were still in the 'honey pot' which is the City Chambers.
Not too certain having more Tory councillors in the Chambers, will result in anything other than 'negative' objections to everything proposed.
The main point to my submission is this......
Will the new 'SNP or whatever' control the Chambers, and be able to for once in 40 years, open the books to see where Glasgow's monies have been going..?
If I had anything to do with it, the first sets of books would have to explain where these 'at arms length' organisations and committees got their funding.
Showing how the Labour Council fiddled the budgets and robbed the Glaswegians of monies for road repairs, social funding, elderly care to name only a few.
The 'at arms length' funding allowed the corrupt Labour Council to fund 'pet projects' that disappeared from normal budget scrutiny, and allowed certain councillors to hold power in some locations, many with a 'good remuneration' for their services, whatever that may mean.
Here is hoping that the SNP will be brave enough to open this can of worms.

+Quote Post
JAGZ1876
post 6th May 2017, 12:38pm
Post #10

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 10,964
QUOTE (john.mcn @ 6th May 2017, 11:41am) *
Did the SNP win more than 50% of the vote, councillors or do they have control of any councils?

In all honesty John, are you saying the SNP had a bad night?

+Quote Post
bilbo.s
post 6th May 2017, 12:41pm
Post #11

Mega City Key Holder
QUOTE (john.mcn @ 6th May 2017, 12:11pm) *
So what is Craig Murrays point? Is he against new properties near to 'deprived' areas, does that mean he disagreed with the crap load spent on 'Feegie' in the 90's building new homes or the close by Phoenix retail park with an Asda, pictures, car showrooms and restaurants offering loads of jobs.

The Tory candidate 'only' got 13%, well the Labour party candidate came second but due to the STV only got elected after the 8th count, after the SNP's 2nd candidate.. Whats my point, PR is fine and dandy for some SNP supporters when it suits their purpose but as soon as it doesn't then it a dodgy way of counting votes. The Tories quite rightly get a representative in the area because the people wanted one!

The point, as anyone including you knows, is that the media are hailing a victory for the Tories in deprived areas, when the wards in question are not wholly in that category. That is the only point, no matter how you try to divert attention with all sort of crap about developments and new properties. wacko.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
john.mcn
post 6th May 2017, 03:44pm
Post #12

Mega City Key Holder
No crap at all, unlike the aforementioned professional blogger I know where the area is (hence me calling it Feegie) and also I'm fully aware of the millions pumped into it in the 90's (not to mention the scandal of the security company there )as well as the development of the new estate and the businesses built up just along from it.
He is saying that because some of the area has more expensive houses then thats the reason they got it, he somehow neglects to mention that the Tories got nowhere in the ward in 2012 so either the electorate had a massive lottery windfall or that there was another reason enough of them voted Conservative to get one elected.
Now that reason according to the Mirror could be that the people aren't enough to read and mistook a Tory for a local independent candidate with a similar name, or it could be that people did in fact vote Tory as a result of the SNP's drive for another referendum.

--------------------
Mikhail Gorbachev

+Quote Post
john.mcn
post 6th May 2017, 03:57pm
Post #13

Mega City Key Holder
coudn't edit the above
QUOTE (john.mcn @ 6th May 2017, 03:44pm) *
Now that reason according to the Mirror could be that the people aren't smart enough to read and mistook a Tory for a local independent candidate with a similar name, or it could be that people did in fact vote Tory as a result of the SNP's drive for another referendum.

QUOTE (JAGZ1876 @ 6th May 2017, 12:38pm) *
In all honesty John, are you saying the SNP had a bad night?

LOL so you're not replying to my question then..

will Nicola Sturgeon now accept the democratic will of the people of Scotland now that the majority of them did not vote for the SNP

Its basically the same question you're asking of the Tories but you forget that the SNP did not win a majority anywhere.

Did they have a good night, they unseated Glasgow Labour and thats a scalp wee Nic would sacrifice a lot of other areas for.

--------------------
Mikhail Gorbachev

+Quote Post
*Billy Boil*
post 7th May 2017, 02:26am
Post #14

QUOTE (JAGZ1876 @ 6th May 2017, 10:18am) *
Great result for the SNP, as Ruths Party campaigned on a "NO to a second referendum", then after only getting 276 seats to the SNP's 431 will she now accept the democratic will of the people of Scotland? unsure.gif

When did the will of the people ever conform to the will of the politicians or should that be the rule of the politicians conforming to the will of the people; Brexit????

+Quote Post
GG
post 7th May 2017, 09:02am
Post #15

Administrator
Group Icon
Member No.: 1
Orange Order elected to councils as Labour and Tory members

Members of the Orange Order have won council seats in the local elections by standing for the Labour and Tory parties, the Sunday Herald can reveal. The Orange Order has boasted that its elected councillors will work to derail a second independence referendum, the organisation’s Scottish leader said.

Grand Orange Lodge of Scotland Grand Master Jim McHarg said the organisation now wanted to stir the Unionist population against independence.

A “huge number” of Lodge supporters are Tories, McHarg said, as he praised Ruth Davidson for basing her council election campaign on opposition to a second referendum.

However, McHarg said most of the Protestant Order’s members are Labour supporters as he revealed the organisation’s attempt to extend its political influence. He said the majority of Orange Lodge members who had successfully been elected as councillors were Labour, but added that at least one Tory had also been voted in.

McHarg said at least six of members had been elected as councillors, with dozens more sympathisers also returned in the local elections.

The Grand Master said the Orange Order now had more elected politicians in Scotland among its membership than at any time in nearly 20 years. He said the organisation had members on councils in North and East Ayrshire, as well as in South and North Lanarkshire.

Members of the Orange Order could now sit on council committees that will make decisions on local education policy, including the funding of Catholic schools.

Labour and the Conservatives may end up running some local authorities after they became the largest party in nine areas, including South Ayrshire and North Lanarkshire.

The Grand Orange Lodge of Scotland’s website describes state sponsored Catholic education as “a thorn in the flesh”. It also criticises legislation which “fully legitimised religious apartheid in Scottish schools by enriching the Catholic Church by paying the full price for its school buildings”.

McHarg refused to reveal the identities of those winning seats, but claimed the victories were a growing sign of pro-Union strength. [...]

Full story here:
http://www.heraldscotland.com/news/1527006...nd_Tory_members

GG.

--------------------
Help: Register :: Login :: Forgot password? :: gg@glasgowguide.co.uk

+Quote Post

5 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd Sep 2018

All material in the site Glasgow Guide is copyright of the Glasgow Guide Organisation. This material is for your own private use only, and no part of the site may be reproduced, amended, modified, copied, or transmitted to third parties, by any means whatsoever without the prior written permission of the copyright owner. All rights reserved.

Glasgow Hotels: book cheap hotels in Glasgow online now.