Glasgow Guide Home

Whats On Glasgow Guide
  Glasgow What's On

Glasgow Reviews

Glasgow Gallery

Glasgow Links
Discuss | Guestbook | Postcard | News | Weather | Feedback | Search | About | What's New
Glasgow Guide Discussion Boards

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )                >> View Today's Topics <<

4 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Last Night Of The Trams, Fifty years ago tonight
GG
post 4th Sep 2012, 07:28pm
Post #1

Administrator
Group Icon
Member No.: 1
Attached Image

Those were the days, my friends. A big bit of Glasgow nostalgia: exactly fifty years ago tonight, 4th September 1962, the trams fell silent in Glasgow. At least 250,000 people are thought to have watched the last tram procession in the city. The final route on that momentous night was from Dalmarnock tram depot in the east end through to the city centre and down Pollokshaws Road to Coplawhill tramworks, which two years later was to become the city's first transport museum.

See this fantastic Youtube video: http://youtu.be/kO2DmTnXlDA

Hankies at the ready! Do you have any memories of the trams?

GG.

--------------------
Help: Register :: Login :: Forgot password? :: gg@glasgowguide.co.uk
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
LizzieLou
post 4th Sep 2012, 08:39pm
Post #2

Unpacking
Member No.: 11,017
Oh my that was great to see the auld trams again. I remember as a wee lass going on the tram tae Crossmyloof Skating rink. We lived in one of the housing schemes called Garthamlock and used to come into town on the blue buses, "Alexanders" then change at the auld Dundas street bus station and catch the tram at Parliamentary Road. We had many a laugh on the tram, we used tae turn the seats back and the conductor would give us a row.

+Quote Post
Rosemary
post 4th Sep 2012, 08:43pm
Post #3

Unpacking
Member No.: 5,585
Yes, I was attending a business school in Glasgow, and I was sent on an interview, told to get the tram on Renfield St. and I stood there waiting until a man told me that the trams had stopped running on Renfield St. this was 1960, I felt like a wee fool. Was that one of the first lines to go. I was 15 and I lived in Balloch at that time, so not city smart at all. wub.gif

+Quote Post
Kassy
post 4th Sep 2012, 08:44pm
Post #4

Visitor
Member No.: 13,510
I remember the Trams as a treat me Ma used to take us on the Tram once a week. I was born in 1955 so I was young and it was great.

I loved the youtube video it brought back a lot of memories.

Everytime I think about Glasgow the Trams the Lamp Lighters I followed around it tugs at my heartstrings. I just wish I could find out about Family.

Thanks for sharing this as I forgot about the old days and how good they were.

I have lots of memories of Glasgow all good.
Kassy

+Quote Post
Rab
post 4th Sep 2012, 09:01pm
Post #5

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 13,266
QUOTE (Kassy @ 4th Sep 2012, 09:59pm) *
I remember the Trams as a treat me Ma used to take us on the Tram once a week. I was born in 1955 so I was young and it was great.

I loved the youtube video it brought back a lot of memories.

Everytime I think about Glasgow the Trams the Lamp Lighters I followed around it tugs at my heartstrings. I just wish I could find out about Family.Thanks for sharing this as I forgot about the old days and how good they were.

I have lots of memories of Glasgow all good.
Kassy

Kassy - have you tried the 'Lost family and friends' section of this website?' You never know your luck!!

--------------------
Back to using my original name... Rab

+Quote Post
Oldsmiddy
post 4th Sep 2012, 09:04pm
Post #6

Visitor
Member No.: 5,846
When I watched this video, it made me a little sad, I left Scotland (Coatbridge) November 5th.1962 ( Guy Fox) night, just prior to this event. The video brought back many memories of the tram rides from Coatbridge to Glasgow, the trams actually started in Airdrie, I vividly remember the #15 & the #23, one route went along the Duke St branch off at Shettleston, & the other carried along the Trongate towards Glasgow Cross. As with all things, nothing ever remains the same. I now live in Canada just east of Toronto, which has been my home since 1962, I am a Canadian Citizen, but still a Scot.

+Quote Post
Doug1
post 4th Sep 2012, 09:15pm
Post #7

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 12,899
I'm sure I already posted something on the trams some time ago but here we go again. I well remember going in and out to the town centre on the trams from the south side where I lived. They were cold and very rattly and shoogly but they always seemed to be on time. One thing I certainly recall was riding my bike along Govan road and getting my front wheel stuck in the tram rails, it happened often and when it did you dam near went over the handlebars, no wonder we kids were tough in those days lol. I dont really remember anyone being particularly bothered about them stopping as we knew that nice new buses would be taking there place and they would go to places that the trams didnt go to

--------------------
ave got my opinion as well

+Quote Post
acerman
post 4th Sep 2012, 09:25pm
Post #8

Unpacking
Member No.: 13,090
Thanks for that GG. A real trip down memory lane. And my father in law drove trams! Great video.

+Quote Post
big les glasgow
post 4th Sep 2012, 09:33pm
Post #9

Unpacking
Member No.: 12,531
My last memories was when we finshed working late in Michell St at Bell & Bain the printers, we cut through to to the Union Bar in Union St had a cupla "happy days" and my wee pal a compositor called Willie Fleming always told me he went upstairs and had a shuggle hame and the effect with the 2 "happy days" made him fall asleep on the old Possilpark caur !!!and he always missed his stop!!! great days .

We stayed at the Dalmuir West terminus and before the war it was a great long ride into town and away to Auchenshuggle with my father or when we went into the toon and we got off at Anderston Cross and he told me to wait outside the pub while he went in for a wee hauf ..What memeories, now 78 and it seems like yesterday when I used to hurry to jump on a cuar under the Central Bridge with my Girl friend just to go to King st about 1 stops before Glasgow Cross to get to Osborne Street to get a bit of snoggin and I had to catch the last tram to Yoker at 12.30am and walk to Duntocher about 2 am. just managing to catch the chip shop just up from Livingston st. in Clydebank starving!!!..what I would give if we could turn the clock back to those happy days ..poor but wonderful times with the caurs..
big les glasgow ....... [email removed – see post below, GG.]

+Quote Post
Rab
post 4th Sep 2012, 09:43pm
Post #10

Mega City Key Holder
The streets they ran on ..........................

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ManXMQJpxUw...feature=related

--------------------

+Quote Post
jak1948
post 4th Sep 2012, 09:45pm
Post #11

Unpacking
Member No.: 13,154
I remember the "caurs" well. Both as a young lad living in Maryhill where
i saw a lot of the trams going in and out of the local depot,travelled on them sometimes too.Then as a teenager,when we came into town from Easterhouse on the bus and would sometimes take a tram ride. I am an ex bus driver and feel i must say,i would have loved to drive the trams. I think they would have been my preferred mode of transport.Far more character than the buses.have watched this and other tram videos on you tube.Still do. I preferred the standard [older] tram to the newer coronation type for some reason.

+Quote Post
Rab
post 4th Sep 2012, 09:47pm
Post #12

Mega City Key Holder
QUOTE (big les glasgow @ 4th Sep 2012, 10:48pm) *
My last memories was when we finshed working late in Michell St at Bell & Bain the printers, we cut through to to the Union Bar in Union St had a cupla "happy days" and my wee pal a compositor called Willie Fleming always told me he went upstairs and had a shuggle hame and the effect with the 2 "happy days" made him fall asleep on the old Possilpark caur !!!and he always missed his stop!!! great days . ...

Great post Les. Wee tip = NEVER put your email address on open view, its asking for lots of spam etc!
Rab.

--------------------

+Quote Post
DavidT
post 4th Sep 2012, 10:16pm
Post #13

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 13,194
Great video. I'm only just too young to remember trams. It was good to see old Glasgow. It's changed quite a bit. I was a wee bit shocked to learn that women could drive trams but not buses. Odd.
David

+Quote Post
navyandsilver
post 4th Sep 2012, 10:42pm
Post #14

Unpacking
Member No.: 2,941
Please settle an argument. What was the LONGEST tram journey operated by GCT from terminus to terminus. I'm sure Milngavie was at one end....the 29 or 23 car?

+Quote Post
navyandsilver
post 4th Sep 2012, 10:45pm
Post #15

Unpacking
Member No.: 2,941
QUOTE (Oldsmiddy @ 4th Sep 2012, 10:19pm) *
When I watched this video, it made me a little sad, I left Scotland (Coatbridge) November 5th.1962 ( Guy Fox) night, just prior to this event. The video brought back many memories of the tram rides from Coatbridge to Glasgow, the trams actually started in Airdrie, I vividly remember the #15 & the #23, one route went along the Duke St branch off at Shettleston, & the other carried along the Trongate towards Glasgow Cross. As with all things, nothing ever remains the same. I now live in Canada just east of Toronto, which has been my home since 1962, I am a Canadian Citizen, but still a Scot.

Sorry 'Old Smiddy' but if you took out Canadian citizenship you were BORN a Scot but are Canadian NOW!!

+Quote Post

4 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd Sep 2018

All material in the site Glasgow Guide is copyright of the Glasgow Guide Organisation. This material is for your own private use only, and no part of the site may be reproduced, amended, modified, copied, or transmitted to third parties, by any means whatsoever without the prior written permission of the copyright owner. All rights reserved.

Glasgow Hotels: book cheap hotels in Glasgow online now.