Glasgow Guide Home

Whats On Glasgow Guide
  Glasgow What's On

Glasgow Reviews

Glasgow Gallery

Glasgow Links
Discuss | Guestbook | Postcard | News | Weather | Feedback | Search | About | What's New
Glasgow Guide Discussion Boards

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )                >> View Today's Topics <<

3 Pages V  < 1 2 3  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Help: Location Of Number 715 Maryhill Road In 1913-14?
margie
post 21st Jan 2010, 08:42pm
Post #31

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 6,901
Ceader boy sadly it is my cousin you were talking about, we called him eddie after his dad. He had a wee flat on Maryhill rd at one time. I think it was his brother John you must be talking about with the ginger hair. They all used to drink in the viking pub. They lived in shannon street ruchill. cheers Margie.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Jimmuck
post 15th Oct 2010, 02:39am
Post #32

Resident
Member No.: 546
I put a post on another "Maryhill Rd." Thread and then found this 'wee gem' of a Thread that answered all my questions. 735 Maryhill Rd. and Kelvinside Ave area. I thought the pub on the corner was The H.L.I. but see on the Map that it was "The Kelvinside Vaults"
The photo, that drew so much debate, had me in tears as it clearly shows my old close, the window where my wife and two boys, 'hung ower the windae' waving me "Goodbye!" as I left for Canada. (I wasn't to see them again for another 19 years, don't ask, again) the Bank and Pub corners. There was a Bookie at our closemooth (don't ask, cannie remember, LoL!) I only knew Charlie Tuck in Springburn an' Bell the Bookie, further up Maryhill Rd near The Barracks??
A great Thread and THANK YOU ALL WHO POSTED PHOTOS, BRILLIANT OF YOU TO SHARE!

--------------------
"Watch Yurr Mooth!"

+Quote Post
mitchell
post 15th Oct 2010, 03:17am
Post #33

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 2,377
I do believe that Willaim Hill took over from Bell's the bookie.
Was the Politician next door to it?

+Quote Post
Jimmuck
post 16th Oct 2010, 01:48am
Post #34

Resident
Member No.: 546
Ha! Ha! Mitchell, the only reason I remembered "Bell the Bookie" on Maryhill Rd. was, their son Eddie and I used to winch lassies fae Muirhead and Eddie would sometimes give me a 'hurl back hame' tae Barmulloch in his big American motor. He had also lived in Canada (Port Credit) and I got a wee bit pre- immigration info from him on where to live, drink, look furr burds, LoL! (Funny how ah remember aw that stuff eh? LoL!) Sorry pal.

--------------------
"Watch Yurr Mooth!"

+Quote Post
*Stuart Mcilwrick*
post 6th Jul 2011, 01:20am
Post #35

Hi all I have many questions my name is Stuart (davidson) Mcilwrick .. I was brought up on 818 gascube rd .. In a one bed room tenament then onto maryhill road. I'm now 42 just before I was born my grandad was stabbed in the upper leg on the maryhill cannal bank he got home but died in hospital.. If any one has information about this would be interesting my family won't tell.. No my second question Alexander davidson was or is my father told he was dead since I was a child he appeared when I was a teenager and disappeared .. I've been told he's dead again .. Aka Jesus ... Again any info email mcilwricks@yahoo.co.uk

+Quote Post
*Alistair Nicolson*
post 20th Oct 2012, 12:41am
Post #36

QUOTE (Dimairt @ 24th Dec 2009, 09:14am) *
Here's a wonderful colour snap of St George's Rd looking down to the Cross, taken from North Woodside Rd. This is where Number 403 was.
Thanks to Jim Purplethistle for this. If you want to see more of the same, I'm giving a talk/slide show of the area, St George's Cross to Queen's Cross 1950-1975, in Woodside Library on Tuesday
12 th January at 6.30.

Le durachd,

Eddy

My Grandmother Janet (Jessie) Rowe owned the Ayrshire Dairy almost at the corner of St Georges Road and North Woodside Road. My mother Jeanette and Mary Lord also worked there. I have a picture somewhere of them standing in front of the shop. If I find it I'll post it here.

+Quote Post
*Alistair Nicolson*
post 20th Oct 2012, 12:59am
Post #37

QUOTE (ceader bhoy @ 24th Dec 2009, 11:33am) *
the shop on the right hand side was the ayrshire dairy we down at night time bought hot rolls they were delicious :P with echo margarine :D came from cedar place cheers c/b

The shop beside the Ayrshire Dairy was called Auto Way and sold car parts, run by Pam and Gordon ( can't remember their surname but they stayed in the Red Road flats) . The next street on the right going away from the Ayrshire Dairy is Windsor Terrace - now closed off and the entrance built over. The first floor at the corner has two windows blocked off. This room actually faced into Windsor Terrace. This was the sitting room of my gran's 9 apartment house - address 4 Windsor Terrace. Once the council had decided on demolition, she lost the Ayrshire Dairy and her house to be moved into the new high flats built at Cowcaddens (6 Dundasvale Court).

Just down from Glenfarg Street stayed Miss Crawford - a dance school teacher who regularly took her pupils to the Pavilion to perform. She too lost her house and was put in 22 Dundasvale Court.

+Quote Post
*Peter Silvester*
post 23rd Feb 2014, 07:57pm
Post #38

QUOTE (Joanne @ 12th Dec 2009, 09:53pm) *
Help from anyone who remembers.
I've been searching to findwhat the name of Maryhill Road might have been in 1913-14, specifically 715. I know Maryhill road was about 7 miles long! I know some Glasgow streets where changed at one time. I've already tried Gairbraid Ave, Wyndford, and Canniesburn Road, but just can't find number 715.
Same with St. George's Road, number 403. Did it have another name for that address section or what?
I'd love to know the cross streets name if at all possible .

Thanks,
JD

+Quote Post
*Sam brown*
post 12th Nov 2014, 07:55am
Post #39

What evey happened to Eddie Bell from Bells the Bookies?

+Quote Post
*melanie bell*
post 22nd Mar 2016, 10:38pm
Post #40

QUOTE (mitchell @ 15th Oct 2010, 03:25am) *
I do believe that Willaim Hill took over from Bell's the bookie.
Was the Politician next door to it?

Lol is great to read this old eddie bell was my granda who brought me up he passed away on 2001 missing him every day. Young eddie is still on the go and still chatting up the lassies lol I remember been in the shop and a rubbed off the results and a can tell you it didn't go down well way the punter's ha ha but a was only 3 .

+Quote Post
*melanie bell*
post 22nd Mar 2016, 10:39pm
Post #41

Great to hear about bells the bookies . Eddie bell was my granda who brought me up from birth and he sadly passed away in 2001 however young eddie is still the same as your memory lol.It was his job to go round ruchill hospital and collect the bets and as a young child I remember once dusting away the forum on the blackboard of the next race and the punter's going mad lol ....great times xx

+Quote Post
*Guest*
post 1st Nov 2016, 10:04am
Post #42

QUOTE (melanie bell @ 22nd Mar 2016, 10:39pm) *
Great to hear about bells the bookies . Eddie bell was my granda who brought me up from birth and he sadly passed away in 2001 however young eddie is still the same as your memory lol.It was his job to go round ruchill hospital and collect the bets and as a young child I remember once dusting away the forum on the blackboard of the next race and the punter's going mad lol ....great times xx

I'm actually trying to locate Young Eddie Bell, somewhere along the line I'm related to him, and well possibly you.

Sam

+Quote Post
*Eddie Bell*
post 1st Mar 2018, 07:39pm
Post #43

Hi Sam and Melanie, dont know were to start but I am Eddie Bell Jnr (not been a jnr for many's a year). I have not saw or heard from any of "the bells" since I was very young neither have my sisters Tracey and Kim. If your still on this forum I'd love to hear from you. I will check back in a few days to see if there has been a reply.

Eddie

+Quote Post

3 Pages V  < 1 2 3
Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 21st Jul 2018

All material in the site Glasgow Guide is copyright of the Glasgow Guide Organisation. This material is for your own private use only, and no part of the site may be reproduced, amended, modified, copied, or transmitted to third parties, by any means whatsoever without the prior written permission of the copyright owner. All rights reserved.

Glasgow Hotels: book cheap hotels in Glasgow online now.