Glasgow Guide Home

Whats On Glasgow Guide
  Glasgow What's On

Glasgow Reviews

Glasgow Gallery

Glasgow Links
Discuss | Guestbook | Postcard | News | Weather | Feedback | Search | About | What's New
Glasgow Guide Discussion Boards

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )                >> View Today's Topics <<

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Help: Location Of Number 715 Maryhill Road In 1913-14?
Joanne
post 12th Dec 2009, 09:36pm
Post #1

Unpacking
Member No.: 1,638
Help from anyone who remembers.
I've been searching to findwhat the name of Maryhill Road might have been in 1913-14, specifically 715. I know Maryhill road was about 7 miles long! I know some Glasgow streets where changed at one time. I've already tried Gairbraid Ave, Wyndford, and Canniesburn Road, but just can't find number 715.
Same with St. George's Road, number 403. Did it have another name for that address section or what?
I'd love to know the cross streets name if at all possible .

Thanks,
JD
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
stratson
post 12th Dec 2009, 11:01pm
Post #2

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 1,660
If you go to Vitual Mitchell Library(Google) there are pics of Maryhill Rd.Not got your exact 715, has ranging from 31 -1,000 plus.dating from early 20th century.
There are a few members on G.G. who came from Maryhill,
If you go to Districts you will find Maryhill and all the posts re. the district. Good Luck. smile.gif

--------------------
"WELCOME TO MY WORLD"

+Quote Post
27stowst
post 13th Dec 2009, 02:12am
Post #3

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 6,716
Part of Maryhill Road was Gairbraid Street and further up was called Wyndford St. in 1913/14.

Attached Image

http://www.theglasgowstory.com/valindex.php

If you go here and search the valuation rolls you will, hopefully, find the information you are looking for. Spent some time looking tonight but it is quite time consuming and it is very late. Good luck with your research.

--------------------
Slainte Mhor

+Quote Post
mitchell
post 13th Dec 2009, 08:52pm
Post #4

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 2,377
715 would be where Arthurs the butchers used to be, just round the corner was or used to be the start of Kelvinside avenue, the corner pub would have been the HLI.
The next street up was Rolland street!

+Quote Post
murn
post 13th Dec 2009, 10:10pm
Post #5

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 4,825
hi Joanne, I think Mitchell is right it would have been between Kelvinside Ave and Braeside St. That part of Maryhill Rd. also came under Garscube Rd. (1912). May have changed when they changed New City Rd. to Maryhill.

There is another thread on here about the same area you can find it here

Maryhill Road Shop

+Quote Post
Lennox
post 14th Dec 2009, 06:30pm
Post #6

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 1,288
I though the street numbers go higher as you went up towards the Old polis station ? huh.gif

--------------------

You don't have to live next door, to be a friend !

+Quote Post
DOLKIN
post 14th Dec 2009, 10:10pm
Post #7

Lord Provost
Member No.: 5,372
figure these out in one maryhill road jumps up 200 no in two shop frontsAttached Image

1st photo no 754 m/hill rd

2nd photo no 573-757 m/hill rd

3rd photo no 745 m/hill rd

thought they might jog memories
Attached image(s)
Attached Image Attached Image

+Quote Post
Dimairt
post 14th Dec 2009, 10:25pm
Post #8

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 1,616
QUOTE (Joanne @ 12th Dec 2009, 09:34pm) *
Same with St. George's Road, number 403. Did it have another name for that address section or what?
Thanks,
JD

Can you tell us why you're interested in this address? I had a wee look for you at the voters' roll and the valuation roll today in the Mitchell:

- in 1961's voters' roll, there was only one name at this address, Annie Muir
- the number before this, 391, had 12 people
- the number after, 419, had 7
- there was nothing in the 1956 voters' roll
-there was nothing in the 1960 valuation roll

What was at this address? It must have been near the top of St George's Rd as St George's in the Field church, still there, is 485 and Lymburn's pub was 431. The numbers haven't changed because there are parts of the road still there - at Charing Cross end and at St George's Cross. Is it the early part of the old century you're interested in?
Now you've got me intrigued.

Le durachd,
Eddy

+Quote Post
marydee
post 14th Dec 2009, 10:50pm
Post #9

City Key Holder
Member No.: 2,766
Of the buildings that are left here Woodside Library, on St George's Road is at No. 343 and next to that was an old villa that has now been turned into 3 flats. The new flats that continue St George's Road start at 369 so I would reckon that as Dimairt says it was across Northwoodside Road neat St George's in the Field.

+Quote Post
Joanne
post 15th Dec 2009, 03:37am
Post #10

Unpacking
This help is super! My reason for asking about these 2 locations is that my mother was born in 1921 at 403 St. Georges Road, and the address given at that time was 715 Maryhill Road. The pictures of Maryhill Road let me see where it all started.

Since I'm not able to access Census records for this year, I turned to 'The Glasgow Story ' Evaluation Rolls for 1913-14 to see if I could see who the tenants were in both locations.

Simply doing an 'Evaluation Roll search' is not as simple at it would appear. When I typed in the street name the message came back that no image was available, try another search!.
So far I must have looked at about 250 images for Ward 21 alone, and still nothing so here I am and very grateful for all this help.

Many thanks.

Joanne

+Quote Post
Dimairt
post 15th Dec 2009, 11:11am
Post #11

Mega City Key Holder
Joanne,
Glad to be of help, like most people on this site. I think you might be getting a bit mixed-up about streets in this area though : Maryhill Rd starts at St George's Cross and runs all the way to the City's north-west boundary; St. George's Rd runs from Charing Cross to Garscube Rd.
As I said in my first e-mail, 403 St George's Rd was near the top, close to Garscube Rd. so it couldn't have been 715 Maryhill Rd too, could it?
The Strathmore Bar, still standing, is at 775 Maryhill Rd and the Sports Shop on the corner of Dunard St is 565; there's not a lot left between these two, so 715 is long gone I'm afraid. It seems clear that your two addresses aren't and couldn't have been the same place - they're too far apart. I've added some snaps to illustrate this, hope it helps. The first is an aerial shot of St George's Cross which shows the start of Maryhill Rd; secondly, the only snap I have of this part of St George's Rd - nearest to 403; finally, a pic with 715 Maryhill Rd in there somewhere.
If you have any further information about your mother, it might help: primary school rolls give a lot of family information. Her full name and her parents too, obviously.
(Please join in anyone who knows or thinks differently.)

Le durachd,

Eddy

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image

+Quote Post
27stowst
post 15th Dec 2009, 01:16pm
Post #12

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 6,716
Joanne, does it perhaps say on the birth certificate the birth was at one address and the usual address was perhaps the other?

--------------------
Slainte Mhor

+Quote Post
DOLKIN
post 15th Dec 2009, 08:17pm
Post #13

Lord Provost
Member No.: 5,372
thats a good point 27 stowst im not old enough but wasn,t oatbank hospital off garscube road is it possible it had an entrance on the not to far away st georges rd and could have been its address of hospital were born and if im correct the dates would tie up with there being red sandstone building on maryhill rd between braeside st and the strathmore which i believe were pulled down in the late 70,s early 80,s just a thought

+Quote Post
Dimairt
post 15th Dec 2009, 11:33pm
Post #14

Mega City Key Holder
QUOTE (DOLKIN @ 15th Dec 2009, 08:15pm) *
thats a good point 27 stowst im not old enough but wasn,t oatbank hospital off garscube road is it possible it had an entrance on the not to far away st georges rd and could have been its address of hospital were born and if im correct the dates would tie up with there being red sandstone building on maryhill rd between braeside st and the strathmore which i believe were pulled down in the late 70,s early 80,s just a thought

The sole entrance to Oakbank Hospital was on Possil Rd and St George's Rd was on the other side of the Garscube Rd. at the Round Toll.
The 'red sandstone' buildings you refer to are shown in the third picture in my reply.
I've posted pics here of Oakbank Hospital and an aerial shot which has the hospital, Possil Rd , Round Toll and St George's Rd marked on it. I've taken a guess at where 403 was based on the numbers of other properties eg St George's in the Fields Church.
Perhaps Joanne doesn't know the area, which is why she's looking for some help on this forum.

Le durachd,
Eddy

Attached thumbnail(s)

Attached Image

Attached image(s)
Attached Image

+Quote Post
Joanne
post 16th Dec 2009, 12:40am
Post #15

Unpacking
27 stowst is correct. Sorry I didn't made myself clear. 403 St. Georges Road was the birthplace on mother's birth certificate in 1921 and the usual address of the mother was recorded as 715 Maryhill Road.

I'm searching for the tenants of those two addresses in 1913-14 via the Glasgow Evaluation Rolls which are available on computer.

Unfortunately I'm in Canada but believe me I would love to be at the Mitchell Library!

Joanne

+Quote Post

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >
Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th Sep 2018

All material in the site Glasgow Guide is copyright of the Glasgow Guide Organisation. This material is for your own private use only, and no part of the site may be reproduced, amended, modified, copied, or transmitted to third parties, by any means whatsoever without the prior written permission of the copyright owner. All rights reserved.

Glasgow Hotels: book cheap hotels in Glasgow online now.