Glasgow Guide Home

Whats On Glasgow Guide
  Glasgow What's On

Glasgow Reviews

Glasgow Gallery

Glasgow Links
Discuss | Guestbook | Postcard | News | Weather | Feedback | Search | About | What's New
Glasgow Guide Discussion Boards

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )                >> View Today's Topics <<

4 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Where I Was Born, How About You?
BigJock
post 22nd Jun 2009, 08:14pm
Post #1

Special Visitor
Member No.: 7,058
This is where it all began, many years ago, 13 Govanhill Street.

Attached Image

--------------------
It's nice to be important, but more important to be nice.....
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
penny dainty
post 23rd Jun 2009, 12:10am
Post #2

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 4,591
Good photo Jock, did you get it from Google street maps?

--------------------
Dont drive faster than your guardian angel can fly.

+Quote Post
BigJock
post 23rd Jun 2009, 08:20am
Post #3

Special Visitor
QUOTE (penny dainty @ 23rd Jun 2009, 12:27am) *
Good photo Jock, did you get it from Google street maps?

Yes I did, and it brought a tear ta ma eye, a stroll down Govanhill Street to my old school, Cuthbertson Str. Primary. rolleyes.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
TeeHeeHee
post 23rd Jun 2009, 08:38am
Post #4

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 6,448
My, humble, beginning was at 1014 Great Western Road (in War-Torn Glasgow,) June 21 1944; Home for Unwed Mothers.
Just another wee bar steward from the Toon.
I'm "Coming Home" on 17th August to put my hands on the spot.
Could someone put a big "X" on the pavement for me where it might have stood?
Whatever was going on in that 18 year old girl's life back then; hardship, strict parents, no interest, whatever ... I got to be born, and that's usually a good start.
And I got to be born in Glasgow; a bonus.

--------------------
"Destiny is a good thing to accept when it's going your way. When it isn't, don't call it destiny; call it injustice, treachery, or simple bad luck.”
― Joseph Heller, God Knows

+Quote Post
tombro
post 23rd Jun 2009, 11:07am
Post #5

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 5,289
My Birth Certificate says I was born at the Glasgow Maternity Hospital on the eighth of February, 1950. The home address of my parents was 47 Nethan Street, Govan.

If anyone can post a picture of either, then or now, I'd be ever grateful !

Tombro rolleyes.gif

--------------------
Today is the first day of the rest of your life !

+Quote Post
ninab
post 23rd Jun 2009, 01:10pm
Post #6

Resident
Member No.: 6,992
I was also born in the Maternity Hospital Glasgow in Rottenrow..21st March 1941..My parents (John and Helena Green) lived then in Borron Street which I believe has been torn down...We then moved to Finnieston....and from there down to London. My mother was from London and my little sister had died in 1944 so my mum wanted to get out of Glasgow.
I returned when I was 15/16 and met my first husband (From Kinning Park) and we lived in McClellan Street. Famous I believe for being the longest street in Glasgow without a break!! Then we moved up to Thurso to work at Dounreay!! Total gadabouts in those days.Does anyone remember him or his family...Ringland McRoberts? Father was also Ringland,mother Annie (total battleaxe,all 4ft 4inches of her) and brother was Alex...He lived in Dennistoun and was a bouncer at Anniesland?

I was also born in the Maternity Hospital Glasgow in Rottenrow..21st March 1941..My parents (John and Helena Green) lived then in Borron Street which I believe has been torn down...We then moved to Finnieston....and from there down to London. My mother was from London and my little sister had died in 1944 so my mum wanted to get out of Glasgow.
I returned when I was 15/16 and met my first husband (From Kinning Park) and we lived in McClellan Street. Famous I believe for being the longest street in Glasgow without a break!! Then we moved up to Thurso to work at Dounreay!! Total gadabouts in those days.Does anyone remember him or his family...Ringland McRoberts? Father was also Ringland,mother Annie (total battleaxe,all 4ft 4inches of her) and brother was Alex...He lived in Dennistoun and was a bouncer at Anniesland?

+Quote Post
ashfield
post 23rd Jun 2009, 01:51pm
Post #7

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 6,611
Ninab, hope you are enjoying the blethers smile.gif If you look at the Possilpark bit of the site there is a photo of fancy flats near a canal. Borron St was right behind it.

--------------------
If you want to make God laugh, tell him about your plans (Woody Allen)

+Quote Post
ninab
post 23rd Jun 2009, 02:30pm
Post #8

Resident
Member No.: 6,992
Just had a look...I wonder what my father would have thought of that!! Looks very posh eh?

+Quote Post
Southside jim
post 23rd Jun 2009, 02:54pm
Post #9

Special Visitor
Member No.: 6,504
I live round the corner from their.

Sadly its like most other parts of glasgow now...Fly-tipping everywhere !!!

That must've been taking when something was taking place in the park & local councilors were in attendance!!! rolleyes.gif As you'll not see the street that clean anymore sadly. sad.gif

I was brought-up in Jamieson street in my grand-parents house. Those house's are no longer there, they are an old folk complex. Really nice inside.

+Quote Post
CAT
post 23rd Jun 2009, 03:03pm
Post #10

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 5,390
I was born in stobhill hospital and went from there to a childrens home in Rhu near helensburgh till my mum and dad came and picked me when I was 5 months old. From there on had a lovely childhood living in corkerhill until I got married in i986.
Tee hee I'm sure your mother like mine had no choice in the matter. Just remember thanks to her the worlds a better place because you were born. biggrin.gif wub.gif

+Quote Post
George Muir
post 23rd Jun 2009, 04:23pm
Post #11

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 53
Hi BigJock I lived for a while in the next street to you - Carfin Street. I had friends and relatives in Govanhill Street.

+Quote Post
BigJock
post 23rd Jun 2009, 08:21pm
Post #12

Special Visitor
QUOTE (George Muir @ 23rd Jun 2009, 04:40pm) *
Hi BigJock I lived for a while in the next street to you - Carfin Street. I had friends and relatives in Govanhill Street.

My mother worked in the fish & chip shop at the corner of Calder Street and Inglefield Street, Pennies chip shop I think was the name.

--------------------

+Quote Post
magpie
post 6th Jul 2009, 06:27pm
Post #13

Unpacking
Member No.: 6,772
QUOTE (tombro @ 23rd Jun 2009, 06:24am) *
My Birth Certificate says I was born at the Glasgow Maternity Hospital on the eighth of February, 1950. The home address of my parents was 47 Nethan Street, Govan.

If anyone can post a picture of either, then or now, I'd be ever grateful !

Tombro rolleyes.gif

sad , sad , to tell you that Nethan St is gone I was born at # 75 so just a couple of closes from your parents , I was born in 1942 so there's a good chance that I new your parents , I left Nethen St when I was 13 , but still visited till I was 19 then came to US , I went home 30 yrs later and most of it was gone , I cried my heart out , went home again 10 years later and it was gone , it was a great St we where all poor but boy did we have fun hope I can help magpie

+Quote Post
stratson
post 6th Jul 2009, 07:34pm
Post #14

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 1,660
QUOTE (BigJock @ 23rd Jun 2009, 09:38pm) *
My mother worked in the fish & chip shop at the corner of Calder Street and Inglefield Street, Pennies chip shop I think was the name.

Pennies sold the best chips in Govanhill. biggrin.gif

--------------------
"WELCOME TO MY WORLD"

+Quote Post
George Muir
post 7th Jul 2009, 04:24am
Post #15

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 53
Every Friday we waited for my dad getting home with his wages and we rushed to buy fish suppers at Penny's. I think the Penny family lived just round the corner in Inglefield Street.

+Quote Post

4 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd Jul 2018

All material in the site Glasgow Guide is copyright of the Glasgow Guide Organisation. This material is for your own private use only, and no part of the site may be reproduced, amended, modified, copied, or transmitted to third parties, by any means whatsoever without the prior written permission of the copyright owner. All rights reserved.

Glasgow Hotels: book cheap hotels in Glasgow online now.