Glasgow Guide Home

Whats On Glasgow Guide
  Glasgow What's On

Glasgow Reviews

Glasgow Gallery

Glasgow Links
Discuss | Guestbook | Postcard | News | Weather | Feedback | Search | About | What's New
Glasgow Guide Discussion Boards

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )                >> View Today's Topics <<

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Jimmy Logan Metropole Theater
Purplefan
post 9th May 2013, 03:04pm
Post #1

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 10,685
It stood on stockwell street and one of my hobbies is researching music halls.
Do any of you remember going to see any acts?
It was a good theater but it was never a financial success for Jimmy.
He tried to entice some fine acts.

did you know When Arthur Jefferson took over the management of the Metropole in 1906 he employed his son Arthur Stanley Jefferson (then aged 15 or 16) to collect tickets at the box office. In 1917, Arthur Stanley changed his name to Stan Laurel, going on to become one half of the famous double act, Laurel and Hardy.

--------------------
To be is to do socrates
To do is to be Sartre
Do be do be do Sinatra
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
taurus
post 10th May 2013, 02:24am
Post #2

Super Lord Provost
Member No.: 12,391
When I was young,going to the Metropole on a Saturday night with my mum was a highlight of the week. We stood in a big queue in the laneway,strangers talking and laughing with each other until the doors opened,then we went in and climbed up a mountain of stairs to the gods,to sit on wooden seats.No matter,when the Logan family came on it was all worth it. Jimmy was only about 17,stole the show everytime,a dream boy to all the young girls.If my memory serves me correctly,the passages up to the seats were still lit by gaslight at the time.

+Quote Post
Purplefan
post 10th May 2013, 09:31am
Post #3

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 10,685
my mother was a regular at the afternoon shows. ( i guess it was her escapism)
Hear is a few photos to jog the memories.
Attached image(s)
Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image

--------------------
To be is to do socrates
To do is to be Sartre
Do be do be do Sinatra

+Quote Post
*guvinboay*
post 13th May 2013, 08:47am
Post #4

I wis it yon Metropole a lot when a wis a wean. My last memory wis see'n Billy Rusk daen a sketch when at a banquet, when they were bringin in a' the dishes he pointed oot wan an said " Whitsthat"
"it's a boars hied"
" Whit Jimmy Logan's ?"
He wis a big rival o' Jimmys but aufu coarse it the time.

+Quote Post
Dimairt
post 30th Sep 2014, 05:53pm
Post #5

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 1,616
I've copied an e-mail that I got today from Doreen Edgar who organised the local history booklets on Woodside.
If anyone from GG is going , let me know, it would be good to meet up.

Durachdan,

Eddy

I enclose part of an email that I received today from Trish Grant at the Mitchell Library about an event being held next Tuesday. Don’t really have that many local contacts who would remember the Metropole, but thought that both of you gentlemen may know of some people who would be interested? I have put the info on a couple of forums and will suggest to Trish that she contacts QCHA and CCH, if she has not already done so.

Details are in the latest brochure that can be downloaded from http://www.glasgowlife.org.uk/libraries/Do...pt-Dec_web3.pdf

I’ve been liaising with NW Area Team about bringing a core audience to the event which I have organised with Scottish Theatre Archive at Glasgow University Library Special Collections next Tuesday. Recently I was speaking to Jonny Howes and he said that you were one of the people he would contact about the day and encourage other people to come along. I know that you have already booked in, and as I already knew you, I said that I would contact you directly.

We do have scope for more people to come along, especially people from the Woodside area who would remember The Metropole well and its impact on the area. Could I ask you to tell people in your networks that they are welcome to come along? We’d like people to book so that we can get an idea of numbers for tea and coffee in the afternoon, and if anyone has a particular query that we can check out in advance. We’re also happy to take donations if anyone has theatre material like programmes etc that they would like to give us as this helps the collections to grow and keeps the connections with local communities and their collections.

+Quote Post

Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th Nov 2017

All material in the site Glasgow Guide is copyright of the Glasgow Guide Organisation. This material is for your own private use only, and no part of the site may be reproduced, amended, modified, copied, or transmitted to third parties, by any means whatsoever without the prior written permission of the copyright owner. All rights reserved.

Glasgow Hotels: book cheap hotels in Glasgow online now.