Glasgow Guide Home

Whats On Glasgow Guide
  Glasgow What's On

Glasgow Reviews

Glasgow Gallery

Glasgow Links
Discuss | Guestbook | Postcard | News | Weather | Feedback | Search | About | What's New
Glasgow Guide Discussion Boards

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )                >> View Today's Topics <<

3 Pages V  < 1 2 3 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Social Engineering In Possilpark?, Group targets women leaving health centre
GG
post 24th May 2010, 07:28pm
Post #16

Administrator
Group Icon
Member No.: 1
If you live in the UK, and have BBC iPlayer, you can listen to a BBC Radio 4 interview of Barbara Harris, founder of Project Prevention:

Taking A Stand Interview

Fergal Keane talks to Barbara Harris, whose organisation pays drug- and alcohol-addicted women to take long-term contraception.

Barbara's experience of fostering babies born to those addicted to drugs and alcohol led her to one conclusion: that these women should be offered financial inducement to be sterilised, or given long-term contraception to stop them having children they are unable to care for. Founded over a decade ago in the United States, her organisation, Project Prevention, has so far made payments to over 3,000 women.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b00qhmfm

GG.

--------------------
Help: Register :: Login :: Forgot password? :: gg@glasgowguide.co.uk
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
frame
post 24th May 2010, 08:39pm
Post #17

Super Visitor
Member No.: 2,486
How does does the law interpret that kind of harassment? Are the police aware that these lunatics are about the city?
They might be a bona fide organisation but they should have some care in how they ply their trade.
I would say they have managed to cause some stress to both the woman and her son. I hope the police get hold of them and do more then tick them off.

--------------------
speed bonny boat

+Quote Post
beth
post 24th May 2010, 08:58pm
Post #18

Super Lord Provost
Member No.: 8,349
My friend has a wee foster child. Tanika is 4 years old. her mother is a white junkie and her father is who or what knows. the mother has one child older than Tanika and 3 younger. Tanika was found in a cardboard box under a filthy kitchen sink, born a drug addict and fed brandy and coke in her bottle. She is the most beautiful and loved wee girl, but what she has come through is horrific. and still her mummy is churning out babies that she cannot care for.So far she has been lucky, as far as we know. None have been born HIV positive but it is only a matter of time. For the right price she would agree to be sterilised cos for her everything has a price and that is why she will not let my friend adopt her wee girl. She gets a child grant even though the child does not live with her. maybe these people went about it the wrong way, and maybe they should have sold their wares in their own back yard, but deep down inside of me, rightly or not, I feel that sterilisation should be imposed on some women

+Quote Post
benny
post 24th May 2010, 09:37pm
Post #19

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 8,059
Compulsory sterilisation is another ball game altogether, Beth. There are many arguments both for and against it - I am against it - but voluntary sterilisation is acceptable as far as I am concerned.
No-one is being forcibly sterilised - they are being offered a choice. To compare this to either Nazi or US Eugenics programmes is just silly scaremongering. No doubt Project Prevention has been a bit heavy handed in the execution of its programme, but that does not detract from the basic purpose of the project.

--------------------
Derea derego fortibus es in aro

+Quote Post
Heather
post 24th May 2010, 09:41pm
Post #20

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 664
Beth, that's a sad story and maybe that women should be sterilised as she already has five children.

I'm assuming your friend lives in Africa.
I don't know the Regulations for Africa, but in the UK any money awarded for the child would go to the person the child lives with.

--------------------
Heather.......I'm tartan. Alba gu Brath. Saor Alba

+Quote Post
droschke7
post 25th May 2010, 12:35am
Post #21

Lord Provost
Member No.: 128
QUOTE (benny @ 24th May 2010, 08:18pm) *
What are the aims of Project Prevention? On the face of it at least, they are to prevent people who are incapable of looking after themselves shouldering the responsibility of looking after a child. Would you like to have a child or grandchild brought up by someone who was zonked out of their head most of the time? The most important thing is the welfare of any prospective child, not gratification of the maternal instinct of drug users.

If these are the aims of "Project Prevention" why did they aproach a woman who was a mother of 2, not a junky, and ask her if she wanted to be sterilised, and all that in front of one of her daughters. No way this doesn't even agree with the socalled aims of the "Project Prevention".

+Quote Post
**andyguinness**
post 25th May 2010, 04:56am
Post #22

I would like to see the uproar, if men were approached again it is the womens fault, things never change. The biggest problem in Glasgow is lack of resourses to tackle the problem, plenty of talking but no action.

+Quote Post
Patter Merchant
post 25th May 2010, 02:43pm
Post #23

Super Resident
Member No.: 6,419
This looks like a particularly nasty practice conducted by rather nasty and narrow-minded people. It is all too easy to blame the poor drug addicts when they in fact are victims themselves. Is it any wonder that the vast majority of people who are forlorn drug addicts come from the lower economic stratas of society? Effectively this American group wants to sterilise women for being born desperately poor and being unable to escape the burdens of their birthright. Of course our 'caring' politicians would love this idea as it stops them having to do the hard work they are paid to do.... ie tackle the poverty and deprivation in society. I'd expect that politicians would happily vote for mass sterilisation if they could get away with it.... then they could go back to flipping their second homes in peace and quiet!!!!

+Quote Post
benny
post 25th May 2010, 03:51pm
Post #24

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 8,059
I think it's time we rid ourselves of the notion that drug addicts are "victims". No-one is forced into taking drugs, it is a personal choice. Many people from the same social background do not become drug addicts, so addiction is not an inescapable result of being poor, or of living in a deprived area. If addicts were the only ones to suffer from their addiction, I would say let them indulge to their heart's content - ruining their lives is their choice - but I see no reason why they should be allowed to ruin innocent childrens' lives as well. There is nothing nasty nor narrow minded about trying to prevent children being born to people who are incapable of looking after themselves, much less their offspring.

--------------------
Derea derego fortibus es in aro

+Quote Post
Java
post 25th May 2010, 04:23pm
Post #25

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 3,211
Unfortunately, the unborn children of addicted women are 'forced' into taking drugs. I can't agree with the method proposed by Project Prevention, but certainly a solution has to be found. Perhaps longterm contraception is a better option, at least leaving the way open for starting a family if and when the addiction is beaten.

--------------------
A friend knows the song in my heart and sings it to me when my memory fails...

+Quote Post
Lennox
post 25th May 2010, 05:16pm
Post #26

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 1,288
QUOTE (Java @ 25th May 2010, 06:26pm) *
Unfortunately, the unborn children of addicted women are 'forced' into taking drugs. I can't agree with the method proposed by Project Prevention, but certainly a solution has to be found.

I agree with Java , on this something needs to be done. Over here the number of babies born to drug addited women is out of control, in the local jail right now there is now 22 drug addicted women in there, for various reasons but theese babies have to deal with the fact they will be born into the addiction.

--------------------

You don't have to live next door, to be a friend !

+Quote Post
proudmaryhiller
post 26th May 2010, 12:29am
Post #27

City Key Holder
Member No.: 8,432
QUOTE (Lennox @ 25th May 2010, 07:19pm) *
I agree with Java , on this something needs to be done. Over here the number of babies born to drug addited women is out of control, in the local jail right now there is now 22 drug addicted women in there, for various reasons but theese babies have to deal with the fact they will be born into the addiction.

It's tragic poor little mites.

--------------------
"I belong to Glasgow"

+Quote Post
Patter Merchant
post 26th May 2010, 09:27am
Post #28

Super Resident
Member No.: 6,419
QUOTE (benny @ 25th May 2010, 05:54pm) *
I think it's time we rid ourselves of the notion that drug addicts are "victims". No-one is forced into taking drugs, it is a personal choice. Many people from the same social background do not become drug addicts, so addiction is not an inescapable result of being poor, or of living in a deprived area. If addicts were the only ones to suffer from their addiction, I would say let them indulge to their heart's content - ruining their lives is their choice - but I see no reason why they should be allowed to ruin innocent childrens' lives as well. There is nothing nasty nor narrow minded about trying to prevent children being born to people who are incapable of looking after themselves, much less their offspring.

I agree with you Benny that "addiction is not an inescapable result of being poor, or of living in a deprived area" . Of course, not all poor and deprived people will succumb to addiction as result of their circumstances. However, much higher levels of poor and deprived peopledo succumb that those from more affluent and more opportunistic environments. Where I think you are missing the point is in thinking that (1) addiction is a free and affirmative choice of addicts, presumably in your reason for experiencing the 'joys' of the drug?? and (2) that the problem is to do with the people themselves. Firstly, you appear to ignore the effect of the huge pressures endured by poor and deprived people over their lifetime, often without the ability or means to cope with these huge problems before they overwhelm them. Secondly, you unjustly target the addicts as being the target for action when in fact it is the circumstances that need to be addressed, otherwise the whole cycle just begins again and new addicts rise from the poverty and deprivation.

It might be easier to dismiss addicts as undeserving of 'victim status', however - if you do that - you are simply helping to exacerbate a cycle of hurt and despair.... and, yes, contributing to sustaining a huge burden on society.

(If nothing else, please spare some thought for your avatar man! tongue.gif)

+Quote Post
**patgunther**
post 26th May 2010, 09:32am
Post #29

There shuld be one policy, that comes direct from a GOVERNMENT DEPARTMENT. The general public, should make them face up. Unless the public are all together and speak up, you have no chance. It will go straight into the to the Government's too hard basket. If you dont speak up loud and clear, you are not a proud British Person.

Come on, Britain, we came through the seocnd world, so wake up and do something.

Pat.

+Quote Post
*Guest*
post 26th May 2010, 02:08pm
Post #30

I see absolutely nothing wrong with sterilizing certain people in our society, basically, those who don't work, but sponge year after year, producing baby after baby, and who are only a burden on society. It's about time the government got behind something like this instead of acting like powerless numpties when it comes to tackling antisocial behaviour. I'm sick of paying for people like this to be sustained. But I don't mind my money being put towards stopping them in their tracks. Lets face it, most of them probably don't want the babies they conceive anyway. And living in a society where you can get an abortion for no good reason at all, don't bother telling me how right-wing I am.

+Quote Post

3 Pages V  < 1 2 3 >
Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 21st Oct 2019

All material in the site Glasgow Guide is copyright of the Glasgow Guide Organisation. This material is for your own private use only, and no part of the site may be reproduced, amended, modified, copied, or transmitted to third parties, by any means whatsoever without the prior written permission of the copyright owner. All rights reserved.

Glasgow Hotels: book cheap hotels in Glasgow online now.