Glasgow Guide Home

Whats On Glasgow Guide
  Glasgow What's On

Glasgow Reviews

Glasgow Gallery

Glasgow Links
Discuss | Guestbook | Postcard | News | Weather | Feedback | Search | About | What's New
Glasgow Guide Discussion Boards

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )                >> View Today's Topics <<

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Social Engineering In Possilpark?, Group targets women leaving health centre
GG
post 23rd May 2010, 09:04pm
Post #1

Administrator
Group Icon
Member No.: 1
Female visitors attending a health clinic in Possilpark have alleged that they been approached by a controversial group offering them each 200 if they agreed to be sterilised. It is understood that the women were approached by representatives from Project Prevention, an American-based group which is known to have paid drug addicts to be voluntarily sterilised.

One woman, who claimed to have been approached while visiting the health centre in the north of the city on Friday, reacted in disbelief and anger to the proposal. The mother of two, who was accompanied by her nine-year-old son at the time, said that she was shaken after the approach, and later gave an interview to reporters in which she said:

"As we left the health centre I saw three ladies coming out of a car and they told me there was this new scheme, offering 200. Then I saw a bit of paper in her hand and it had drug addicts written on it.

I'm not a addict. I think I was approached because I was in the Possilpark area – it's a well-known area for drugs - but that's where my doctor is based."

The mother added:
"I'm very hurt and angry that someone could approach me in the street and ask me those sorts of questions at all, let alone when I had my nine-year-old with me.

I asked her to leave me alone but she kept going on and on so I had an argument with her and got on the bus to go home.

My son knew they were asking me questions, and he asked me what it meant to be sterilised."

Project Prevention is a US group that aims, according to their website, "to reduce the number of substance exposed births to zero."

An interview with Barbara Harris, the founder of the controversial group which has faced allegations of 'social engineering in the US, can be viewed here:

http://edition.cnn.com/video/?/video/besto...icts.debate.cnn

Attached Image

GG.

--------------------
Help: Register :: Login :: Forgot password? :: gg@glasgowguide.co.uk
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
**old as mud jim**
post 23rd May 2010, 11:06pm
Post #2

If these slumbags can be arrested for something, then it should be done.

+Quote Post
droschke7
post 24th May 2010, 01:35am
Post #3

Lord Provost
Member No.: 128
Unbelievable, with junkies and 17 year old mothers with 5 kids I can understand the sentiment, if not what they did, but with normal women and in the street? They should be arrested and, if non UK citizens, be deported. The US company should be banned in the UK.

+Quote Post
weebren3
post 24th May 2010, 03:19am
Post #4

Super Visitor
Member No.: 1,440
Why are they allowed to confront females anyway,they should be banned.I think its easy money for people who are drug users too.Why is the govt not looking into this.They should be doing this in there own country its full of drugs and unwanted pregnancy.I dont think that is legal.Jeez.Maybe some kind of cult,who knows.

+Quote Post
bigdrew
post 24th May 2010, 06:26am
Post #5

Special Visitor
Member No.: 1,122
Drug problems are a blight on us all, but for anyone to suggest Sterilization and offers a cash reward, I wonder if we are looking at refugee medical families from Nazi Germany...?
And the biggest farce of all....is that any American can come to this country and offer cash for sterilization, when their 'own midden'....the land of the free, is the place i would start......!
Are they so befuddled, that they have the tumerity to come here and offer solace, when their 'own midden' is such a 'NICE DRUG FREE PLACE TO LIVE'................I think not...!

+Quote Post
beth
post 24th May 2010, 06:42am
Post #6

Super Lord Provost
Member No.: 8,349
This is def a no-no, but how I wish they would come to "darkest" Africa. So many babies born HIV pos and so many abandoned because of it

+Quote Post
benny
post 24th May 2010, 06:44am
Post #7

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 8,059
I see nothing wrong in the voluntary sterilisation of drug addicts - the NHS is running trials with payments to quit smoking - but it should not be left to private organisations. I don't see that this particular organisation is breaking any laws in making the offer though - no-one is forced to accept it. Perhaps their approach to members of the public leaves something to be desired, but that ain't a hanging offence.

--------------------
Derea derego fortibus es in aro

+Quote Post
Noel
post 24th May 2010, 08:03am
Post #8

Unpacking
Member No.: 287
Droske7. I agree with you wholeheartedly. We have enough problems in this country and do not need Americans coming here to try and solve them for us.

+Quote Post
TeeHeeHee
post 24th May 2010, 11:02am
Post #9

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 6,448
I wonder if the reaction would be stronger if male addicts were being offered this chance of 200 quid and free sterilisation. And if the scheme took off could it be acceptable to increase the range to include alcoholics or even obesity?
Where are we goin' here?

--------------------
"Destiny is a good thing to accept when it's going your way. When it isn't, don't call it destiny; call it injustice, treachery, or simple bad luck.”
― Joseph Heller, God Knows

+Quote Post
*michael daley*
post 24th May 2010, 11:26am
Post #10

whilst i do not agree with any private organisation carrying out this kind of work, at the same time i cannot help but relate to the sentiment behind it. Being a drug addict does not in itself guarentee a bad parent and it is certainly dependant on which drug they are dependant on, as to how bad life could be for future offsping. I do wonder sometimes when travelling home on a bus and seeing the smacked out junkies with toddlers and such in prams. Honestly what sort of chance do these little ones have in life. As with a lot of things in life though at least the modern world is money is the crux or rather lack of it. Many addicts become caught up in the first place due to poverty. If we can erradicate poverty then a lot of what is wrong in glasgow and the wider world will disappear with it. I for one would rather get to the root of these problems rather than picking of a few individuals when the damage is already done.

+Quote Post
benny
post 24th May 2010, 12:04pm
Post #11

Mega City Key Holder
As well as paying people to stop smoking, the NHS has also been running trials on paying people to lose weight, THH.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/health/healthne...ose-weight.html

As far as "The Americans shouldn't be coming here and trying to change our ways" goes, the same could be said of all the British missionaries who go abroad for a spot of Bible thumping. There are plenty of candidates in Britain who could do with being preached to.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Heather
post 24th May 2010, 06:00pm
Post #12

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 664
Those young women who have accepted 200 to be sterilised may well live to regret it in a few years time when they realize they will never give birth to a child of their own.

I don't agree with the aims of Project Prevention and I think they should be banned from this Country.

--------------------
Heather.......I'm tartan. Alba gu Brath. Saor Alba

+Quote Post
benny
post 24th May 2010, 06:15pm
Post #13

Mega City Key Holder
What are the aims of Project Prevention? On the face of it at least, they are to prevent people who are incapable of looking after themselves shouldering the responsibility of looking after a child. Would you like to have a child or grandchild brought up by someone who was zonked out of their head most of the time? The most important thing is the welfare of any prospective child, not gratification of the maternal instinct of drug users.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Heather
post 24th May 2010, 07:13pm
Post #14

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 664
A drug addict can recover from the habit.

Sterilisation is a different story altogether. A reversal is not always guaranteed and as far as I know it is not done on the NHS which means going private and that would cost a lot of money for a hit and miss operation.

--------------------
Heather.......I'm tartan. Alba gu Brath. Saor Alba

+Quote Post
GG
post 24th May 2010, 07:22pm
Post #15

Administrator
Group Icon
Member No.: 1
According to their website, the aims/objectives of Project Prevention are:

The main objective of Project Prevention is to reduce the number of substance exposed births to zero.

In doing so, Project Prevention seeks to reduce the burden of this social problem on taxpayers, trim down social worker caseloads, and alleviate from our clients the burden of having children that will potentially be taken away.

Unlike incarceration, Project Prevention extremely cost effective and does not punish the participants.

We seek and welcome alliances with all sectors of our communities including drug treatment programs, hospitals, social service departments, among others, and have established such contacts throughout the United States.

Project Prevention does not have the resources to combat the national problems of poverty, housing, nutrition, education and rehabilitation services. Those resources we do have are spent entirely on reducing the number of substance-exposed births to zero.

http://www.projectprevention.org/objectives

From the other angle, some critics have accused the group of spreading "dangerous propaganda":

Her stand has drawn fierce opposition. Critics, such as US group National Advocates for Pregnant Women (NAPW), accuse Ms Harris of spreading "dangerous propaganda".

They say what she does is social engineering, defining one category of people - addicts - as unsuitable to have children. The scheme has been compared to eugenic sterilisation in the US during the 1930s and the Nazis' programme of eugenics, which led to the extermination of Jews and the murder of many gypsies, the mentally ill, and homosexuals.

Such comparisons are rejected by Ms Harris, who says the criticisms do not concern her.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/magazine/8500285.stm

GG.

--------------------
Help: Register :: Login :: Forgot password? :: gg@glasgowguide.co.uk

+Quote Post

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >
Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th Oct 2019

All material in the site Glasgow Guide is copyright of the Glasgow Guide Organisation. This material is for your own private use only, and no part of the site may be reproduced, amended, modified, copied, or transmitted to third parties, by any means whatsoever without the prior written permission of the copyright owner. All rights reserved.

Glasgow Hotels: book cheap hotels in Glasgow online now.