Glasgow Guide Home

Whats On Glasgow Guide
  Glasgow What's On

Glasgow Reviews

Glasgow Gallery

Glasgow Links
Discuss | Guestbook | Postcard | News | Weather | Feedback | Search | About | What's New
Glasgow Guide Discussion Boards

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )                >> View Today's Topics <<

2 Pages V  < 1 2  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Let Billy Connolly Drive You Home, The Big Yin's voice now on satnav
Cash-Ma-Giro
post 21st Apr 2010, 10:03pm
Post #16

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 2,023
Nah, I don't think the voice he adopted suited him. His Billy Connolly World Tour voice I feel, would have been better suited, his voice was more relaxed in that series.
I think you could easily tell he was reading from a script. (as he had to)

Sorry Billy.

cash.

--------------------
Remember, just above those clouds,
the sun is always shining.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
*Govan Bhoy*
post 22nd Apr 2010, 05:22am
Post #17

Me thinks all this talk about Billys accent is a tad unfair. Why not look at what he has achieved over the years - lifelong success in stand-up comedy, musically talented, internationally renowned, star in Hollywood films, a couple of great television series? Remember that he could hardly have been expected to mantain his broad Glaswegian brogue and still be understood by all audiences across the globe. Come on people, the boy has done well - and all from the most humble of beginnings - some perspective please!

+Quote Post
tombro
post 22nd Apr 2010, 10:21am
Post #18

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 5,289
Totally agree, Govan Bhoy !

OK, Billy's a bit rough with his language for some people but it's the language of Glasgow in the late 1950's.

I first heard Billy in a record shop in Sydney and was immediately taken by his thick Glasgow accent and his irreverence. Moments later he was talking of events on a Number 9 bus to Drumchapel and my hand went into my pocket to buy the record.

Billy takes me back to the Glasgow I knew and I absolutely love that !

Just found out, though, that I can't have Billy's voice on my TomTom.

Tombro smile.gif

--------------------
Today is the first day of the rest of your life !

+Quote Post
Rab-oldname
post 23rd Apr 2010, 05:47pm
Post #19

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 413
Billy is not a true 'comedian' in the real sense of the word. He tells very few 'jokes'. However, he, in my humble opinion, is one of the best storytellers of our age.(Despite his repetitive use of the word 'extraooooordinary')! His original format was his most successful and hardly ever included a four-letter word. His Glasgow reminiscences and easygoing method of explaining lifes idiosyncrases made him what he is and his acting is a lot better than some in Hollywood. His assumption that his audiences needed barrack-room language interspersing his stories was wrong as it turned great fans (like me) completely away. Ramsey is another one - what is the matter with these talented people that they cannot communicate without the use of expletives. Frankie Boyle is another one to have gone down the foul-mouthed road. He is a brilliant comedian but the show I (partly) watched the other evening was absolutely disgusting and most certainly not for family viewing, which is a real shame, as he has me roaring when I watch 'Mock the Week'. I have totally lost any respect for these talented performers due to this and cannot enjoy them any more. Still, what do they care with what they earn.

+Quote Post
glasgow lass
post 24th Apr 2010, 11:40am
Post #20

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 4,697
The other Glasgow comedian that I mentioned in my last post up there lol, calles himself Danny bhoy, Ive only seen him a few times but he could have been around for awhile Im not sure as I donn't watch telly that much, this guy is funny, has a really great accent thats not forced out.
yous might like to check him out on utube.

+Quote Post
beatricemca
post 24th Apr 2010, 07:59pm
Post #21

Unpacking
Member No.: 7,842
I was born in Anderson ,Glasgow in 1942. Billy Connolly reminds me of those times of "wellie boots" and cardboard in your shoes. The single end and the 'piece of jam 'thrown from a three up window. The rag man with "who wants candy rock" A single society with everyone holding together.
Although now in Florida I still consider Glasgow my home and Billy the champion of the people of my era. I only wish more of his productions were available in the US format.

+Quote Post
benny
post 25th Apr 2010, 11:04am
Post #22

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 8,059
Naw, ah'm afraid ah cannae agree wi ye, Beatrice. Connolly's early stuff wis good in its time, an much of it wis based on actual living conditions in post-war Glasgow, but it seems tae me he's a long way frae his roots nooadays, like many another Scottish performer who's left his native land. His present accent is a joke in itself.

--------------------
Derea derego fortibus es in aro

+Quote Post
frame
post 26th Apr 2010, 06:35pm
Post #23

Super Visitor
Member No.: 2,486
I prefare to watch him acting. He's done some incredibly good drama and I tend to tune in whenever I know he's on. Stand-up comedy...? no thanks, not in this life.

--------------------
speed bonny boat

+Quote Post

2 Pages V  < 1 2
Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th Oct 2019

All material in the site Glasgow Guide is copyright of the Glasgow Guide Organisation. This material is for your own private use only, and no part of the site may be reproduced, amended, modified, copied, or transmitted to third parties, by any means whatsoever without the prior written permission of the copyright owner. All rights reserved.

Glasgow Hotels: book cheap hotels in Glasgow online now.