Glasgow Guide Home

Whats On Glasgow Guide
  Glasgow What's On

Glasgow Reviews

Glasgow Gallery

Glasgow Links
Discuss | Guestbook | Postcard | News | Weather | Feedback | Search | About | What's New
Glasgow Guide Discussion Boards

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )                >> View Today's Topics <<

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Glasgow River Festival Cancelled, Blow for summer 2010 visitors to Glasgow
GG
post 14th Apr 2010, 09:49pm
Post #1

Administrator
Group Icon
Member No.: 1
In a major blow to Glasgow's ambitions of competing with other UK cities for summer tourists, Glasgow City Marketing Bureau (GCMB) has announced that it has been forced to cancel the Glasgow River Festival event scheduled for July 2010. The shock move comes despite last year's event attracting 90,000 visitors and generating 1.5 million for the local economy.

Scott Taylor, chief executive of GCMB, one of a number of arms-length companies set up to run former council services, said that limited funds were available to stage the money-spinning event. Mr Taylor added that GCMB had had to cut its funding for the event, believed to be in the region of 185,000, because of cutbacks by Glasgow City Council.

Mr Taylor added:
"For us to put on a River Festival of that size again would have been impossible on such limited funding. To organise 90,000 people on a small budget would compromise health and safety, not just quality, and we were not prepared to do that.

This decision was not taken lightly but we are in the middle of a major downturn, resources are being squeezed and Glasgow City Council has cut 300,000 from the festival budget."

Speaking in advance of last year's event, Liz Cameron, who recently took over the post of GCMB board chairwoman following the resignation of disgraced Glasgow City Council leader Steven Purcell, said:

"The River Clyde is steeped in a fascinating history and is not only an important part of the past but an imperative part of the future success of Glasgow. The series of events that make up the Glasgow River Festival ensure that the riverside remains an interesting and accessible place for locals and visitors alike."

The loss of the landmark festival is likely to have serious implications for local hotels and businesses, and comes as cities across the UK mount an increasingly effective challenge to Glasgow's position as a leading tourist attraction. Last year Birmingham overtook Glasgow in the annual tables ranking UK towns by the number of visits by overseas residents.

Some of the money saved as a result of this year's cancellation is expected to be rolled-over into an expanded event next year to celebrate the opening of the new Riverside Museum.

Photographs of last year's River Festival are shown below.

GG.

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image

--------------------
Help: Register :: Login :: Forgot password? :: gg@glasgowguide.co.uk
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
norrie123
post 14th Apr 2010, 10:21pm
Post #2

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 2,552
Ah well thats another festival I will miss, never been to one, I always seem to be doing other things.
How many more events will have to be curtailed, times are going to be tough
Bye for now, norrie

+Quote Post
elso
post 15th Apr 2010, 06:54am
Post #3

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 6,459
How sad,been to everyone of them, and thoroughly enjoyed them, we always made it a family day out with the grand kids and they LOVED it,its was a FANTASTIC day out, it was only at the week-end, that my oldest grandson (12) asked when we, where passing the squinty bridge, Nana, when are we coming down here again to see the boats, and I told him it wont be long now!! Unfortunately that wont be happening AGAIN, sad.gif

+Quote Post
Alex MacPhee
post 15th Apr 2010, 06:55am
Post #4

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 6,183
Perhaps they will have enough money left in the budget to re-write Glasgow's city motto : Let Glasgow Flounder.

--------------------
Alex

+Quote Post
GG
post 15th Apr 2010, 07:28am
Post #5

Administrator
Group Icon
QUOTE (norrie123 @ 14th Apr 2010, 11:38pm) *
... How many more events will have to be curtailed, times are going to be tough ...

Unfortunately Norrie, the BBC has announced that it will not be continuing with the popular 'Proms in the Park' event at Glasgow Green; instead, the corporation is looking at staging it in another city, most likely Dundee.

Also, of course, Culture and Sport Glasgow, another hived-off Aleo, has closed a number of museums on a Monday, and the Museum of Transport at the Kelvin Hall closes this weekend in preparation for the opening of the new, expensive (74 million) transport museum. Unfortunately the new museum, the Riverside Museum, is not expected to open until next spring/summer, leaving locals and visitors alike without a fitting place to see the city's hugely important transport heritage for a full year.

In addition, I hear that Maydaze, another event celebrating the city's work and industrial heritage has also been cancelled, though we await official confirmation of this.

GG.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Jupiter
post 15th Apr 2010, 07:33am
Post #6

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 7,675
I am sorry to see the Festival cancelled as the river does play such a big part in out heritage. I am surprised private investors have not stepped in as there is clearly money to be made.
On a wider scale I think this cancellation is a pre cursor as to what is ahead after the election no matter who is voted in.The new Government will go through public services like a dose of salts with cutbacks affecting everyone.

+Quote Post
GG
post 15th Apr 2010, 07:34am
Post #7

Administrator
Group Icon
Elso, I agree, great days out, especially when the weather was great ... which did sometimes happen! smile.gif

Alex, in the book I just read about Glasgow, The Tears that made the Clyde, it was suggested that a more appropriate motto for the city would be: Let Glasgow Languish. sad.gif

GG.

--------------------

+Quote Post
ashfield
post 15th Apr 2010, 09:02am
Post #8

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 6,611
I think this has little to do with the UK government and a lot to do with the Scottish governments deal with all local authorities to keep council tax at the same rate for the last few years. All councils have had to make savings to meet the budget shortfall. I am sorry that culture has had to suffer because of what's happened but quite frankly I am more sorry about the people who will lose their jobs and the Glaswegians who will lose services over the coming years. As Jupiter said, this generates money for business so perhaps they can be the one's to speculate (aye right).

--------------------
If you want to make God laugh, tell him about your plans (Woody Allen)

+Quote Post
*Guest*
post 15th Apr 2010, 10:11am
Post #9

Very disappointed in this - there was more than a good chance of Glasgow getting a visit from Donald Campbells Bluebird K7 for the river festival on it's completion next year - a world class media event - great for Glasgow - but not now seemingly - what a pity!

Oh well theres always the Tyne instead.

Glasgows loss is Newcastles gain - well done!

+Quote Post
Alex MacPhee
post 15th Apr 2010, 10:54am
Post #10

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 6,183
QUOTE (GG @ 15th Apr 2010, 07:51am) *
it was suggested that a more appropriate motto for the city would have been: Let Glasgow Languish.

Glasgow is a fabulous city. It long ago shook off its 'No Mean City' reputation, and can show architecture and cultural class to rival any other in the land. I recall that it may even claim to have more parkland per capita than anywhere else in the UK. It is no mere self-hype to say that Glasgow's people are the friendliest in the country, and I've lost count of the friends and acquaintances who've come from America and Europe (even the French) who've remarked on it, whether they've been looking for directions to somewhere, or city sights, or a place to eat. What an irony it would be if visitors were now to be seen wearing tee-shirts that said 'I went to Glasgow, and it was shut'.

--------------------
Alex

+Quote Post
*RAYMOND LUKES*
post 15th Apr 2010, 11:11am
Post #11

TRUST GCC TO STOP THIS GREAT EVENT WILL THEY STOP ALL THERE FANCY LUNCHES AND TRIPS AND EXPENCES CLAIMS DON THINK SO ?

+Quote Post
Rob Rattray
post 15th Apr 2010, 11:43am
Post #12

Visitor
Member No.: 7,864
'Tis a sad day when hierarchy seem to take over when they should be trying to find ways to stage this fabulous event e'en with a few minor cutbacks should it become necessary. They say the monies saved will be spent next year on 'a grander scale' but that be more than 12 months away and 'twixt now and then, other 'projects will probably benefit from this money - their own pockets being included, I dare say! Let Bonnie Glasgow stand up and have private enterprise lend a hand for afterall, Glasgow's their responsiblity too!

--------------------
God Bless
Rob

"SUPER SIDERA VOTUM”

+Quote Post
PabloDav
post 15th Apr 2010, 01:31pm
Post #13

Unpacking
Member No.: 2,824
Just another shocking episode in the ongoing manipulated decline of the great city of Glasgow. And most of this is down to the city fathers of Glasgow who are too busy lining their own nests, its time to get rid of them people of Glasgow and you are the one's to do it, before they destroy the city altogether.

Pablo.

+Quote Post
**getech500153**
post 15th Apr 2010, 02:00pm
Post #14

In my opinion this action by the private company who have taken over the running of this wonderful event must surely be in breach of some contractual issue, regarding taking over the commitment to ensuring this and other contracted events are fulfilled.

CG would be quite within their right to comment and indeed ask as Glaswegian's contributing to taxes and Community charges, to have a full explanation given by the sub-committee who awarded these types of contracts to this and similar companies.

There is by law, a committment given by companies, to look at and agree to fulfilling pre-planned events such as this and in signing up to contract these events out to the private sector, both parties Sign Up to commit to them.

The fact that the budget to run these is still with the GCC,then why on earth has the statement been issued by the Private Co and not the GCC?

Something isn't quite right in my opinion at the cancellation of such an Important Cultural Event that already proved to be a Financial success in previous years.

+Quote Post
*bnisbet@blueyonder*
post 15th Apr 2010, 02:30pm
Post #15

What a pity, it was a great family day out. We've met a lot of nice people and we were looking forward to it. Whats next!!!!!!!

+Quote Post

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >
Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th Oct 2019

All material in the site Glasgow Guide is copyright of the Glasgow Guide Organisation. This material is for your own private use only, and no part of the site may be reproduced, amended, modified, copied, or transmitted to third parties, by any means whatsoever without the prior written permission of the copyright owner. All rights reserved.

Glasgow Hotels: book cheap hotels in Glasgow online now.