Glasgow Guide Home

Whats On Glasgow Guide
  Glasgow What's On

Glasgow Reviews

Glasgow Gallery

Glasgow Links
Discuss | Guestbook | Postcard | News | Weather | Feedback | Search | About | What's New
Glasgow Guide Discussion Boards

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )                >> View Today's Topics <<

5 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> The Rise Of Glasgow's Quango State, Aleos and extra payments to councillors
niallwalker
post 5th Apr 2010, 11:34pm
Post #16

Unpacking
Member No.: 8,352
The labour councillors have really only been interested in money, certainly not in the health of their citizens; that is one of the reasons Glasgow has such a poor health record. If you met any of them you would see that.
Take the example of Strathclyde Passenger Transport, it had a labour councillor as chair, all he seemed interested in was staying in fancy hotels and going to football matches.
I also note that the Liberal Democrats in the council voted with Labour to prevent an independent investigation into the web of private companies set up. Talk about Jobs for the Boys.
It was actually the Conservative councillor that blew the whistle on all this.

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
wee davy
post 6th Apr 2010, 12:16pm
Post #17

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 7,956
Can somebody tell me - are Glasgow councillors all ex 'Teamsters'?
From whit ah've been readin' in this blog, there's a good chance they could awe be headin fur Barlinnie!

--------------------
adversus solem ne loquitor

+Quote Post
*yogihughes*
post 6th Apr 2010, 12:39pm
Post #18

QUOTE (wee davy @ 6th Apr 2010, 12:33pm) *
Can somebody tell me - are Glasgow councillors all ex 'Teamsters'?
From whit ah've been readin' in this blog, there's a good chance they could awe be headin fur Barlinnie!

You're joking, they'll never do time!!!!!!

+Quote Post
niallwalker
post 6th Apr 2010, 01:54pm
Post #19

Unpacking
I think the media forgets that there are some decent politicians. The problem in Glasgow is that one party has had a monopoly of power for too long. They feel that they can do anything. In the past they have always got re-elected; they have become complacent and got used to being unaccountable.

+Quote Post
niallwalker
post 6th Apr 2010, 06:35pm
Post #20

Unpacking
Visit My Website

+Quote Post
frame
post 6th Apr 2010, 07:43pm
Post #21

Super Visitor
Member No.: 2,486
Sometimes I wonder if we aren't more to blame than these council crooks. After all, we put them there. The trouble is as it's always been, tribalism. Thats how we vote. Nothing to do with issues, it's all about, "my grandfather was labour, my father was labour and that means I'm labour" with that kind of mentality it's no wonder we're all going to hell in a wheel barrow.
Tell them straight, (no matter what your grandfather voted) get it right for the country or you're out in four years.
Let's face it, this crowd has been in for 13 years, in all honesty do you feel you have benefited by their leadership in that time? If the answer is yes, well then it works for you, vote for them again. Me personally, I would rather see the looney party in. Mind you, maybe that's who they are.

Can't help thinking we're going to end up with the Government we deserve....... Again!

--------------------
speed bonny boat

+Quote Post
*Dip Guy*
post 6th Apr 2010, 11:15pm
Post #22

I was born and bred in Glesga and now live in Seattle USA. Corruption in local government here is commonplace with hardly a day going by without another "scandal".

It would appear "The Dear Green Place" is now becoming "The Place of the Dear Green People". And all the councillors not in these organizations being "Green with envy".

Everybody is on the take these days it would appear.

+Quote Post
weebren3
post 7th Apr 2010, 03:19am
Post #23

Super Visitor
Member No.: 1,440
I say make sure you no the people you are voting for,make them acountable for our taxes and they are worth the job and do what they say they will for the people of glasgow.they sure dont feel guilty that people cant have A decent life or live longer because of there greed.This bogles my mind why they would have extra money in there pockets from the scots who voted for them and they dont care,its all crap and makes my blood boil.They are greedy when they take from the needy,what A bunch of good for nothing idiots,do they think we are stupid,and will stand for this.I would love to see the books open as to what they spend from the tax payers,it is our rights.Every one should ask this to be done and not hide it.Stand up and be counted,or we wont matter anymore,take us right of the map. dry.gif

+Quote Post
Dylan
post 7th Apr 2010, 07:13am
Post #24

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 3,936
QUOTE (niallwalker @ 6th Apr 2010, 07:52pm) *

Impressive !

Corruption in Politics are like Death and Taxes.

They will always be with us. !!

--------------------
You don't need a weatherman
To know which way the wind blows

+Quote Post
fronswa
post 7th Apr 2010, 09:18am
Post #25

Super Resident
Member No.: 6,537
QUOTE (niallwalker @ 6th Apr 2010, 07:52pm) *

Aye... is that book of yours 'Halls of Infamy' in in print at all.
I know the council managed to block it a while ago.

PS
Everybody... If you need soething done by either your councillor, MP, or MSP... now's the time to ask for it. Elections seem to bring out the best in politicians. smile.gif

+Quote Post
niallwalker
post 7th Apr 2010, 07:24pm
Post #26

Unpacking
My book is not in print at present, although I can run print small runs if there is sufficient demand. I'm really working on my new one; you might have seen the beginnings of it in my blog.

There is no shortage of things to write about.

+Quote Post
Patter Merchant
post 8th Apr 2010, 11:24am
Post #27

Super Resident
Member No.: 6,419
This whole affair -- Purcell and his Aleos -- highlights the sickening self-centred attitude of some councillors in this city. It is time for a thorough investigation into just what the hell has been going on during Purcell's disastrous reign. It now seems that the only party willing to stand up for Glasgow in any way is the SNP, although they also are involved in taking cash for sitting on Aleos, though their councillors say they were only doing so to keep an eye on Labour councillors!!!

SNP MP John Mason today asked what Labour has to hide after Gordon Brown again ducked the subject of recent events affecting the Labour party in Glasgow and their operation of Glasgow City Council. Asked at Prime Minister’s Questions what Labour has to hide from an investigation the Prime Minister refused to answer - despite former leader Steven Purcell reportedly backing an inquiry and Labour donor Willie Haughey also supporting an independent audit.

John Mason, MP for Glasgow East and the only non-Labour MP in the city said:

“What have Labour got to hide? The more Brown refuses to answer questions and the more Labour dodge these serious issues for the city the more suspicious Labour’s actions look.

“Labour have to answer why they do not want an investigation to get to the bottom of these allegations and clean up the reputation of this city.

“Brown has still to answer SNP questions from three weeks ago over what Downing St staff knew and when of Steven Purcell’s personal problems.

“With reports today that staff at CORDIA one of the companies Steven Purcell created are facing jobs losses from Labour budget cuts – days after it was revealed this company paid for drinks parties attended by Steven Purcell Labour’s refusal to even discuss this issue is a betrayal of the people of Glasgow.

“As Labour’s culture of secrecy lets the city down and people risk losing their jobs over Labour’s cuts in the city it is more clear than ever that Glasgow needs local champions to speak up for the people of this city and to protect them from Labour cuts.”

I read also in the news yesterday that Cordia (run by a 132,500-per-year entrepreneur from public funds) has threatened its ex-council employees that they either accept cuts to hours and pay or 800 of them will be paid off.

Niall, look forward to reading your book.... keep us posted as to progress.

+Quote Post
wee davy
post 8th Apr 2010, 07:43pm
Post #28

Mega City Key Holder
Slightly off topic - but does anybody know if all of this might have an effect on how people might vote in the general election? Certainly seems as if Labour could've committed Hari Kari in the locals.

Be interested to know people's thoughts.

--------------------

+Quote Post
GG
post 8th Apr 2010, 08:58pm
Post #29

Administrator
Group Icon
Member No.: 1
I'm not so sure Davy as – although the Aleos are a Labour initiative – city councillors of all the main parties have been receiving payments. As you say though, I think it is more likely to be an issue in the council elections which will take place on May 5th 2011, the same day as the Holyrood elections.

GG.

--------------------
Help: Register :: Login :: Forgot password? :: gg@glasgowguide.co.uk

+Quote Post
wee davy
post 8th Apr 2010, 09:00pm
Post #30

Mega City Key Holder
Thx GG - much appreciated

--------------------

+Quote Post

5 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > » 
Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd Oct 2019

All material in the site Glasgow Guide is copyright of the Glasgow Guide Organisation. This material is for your own private use only, and no part of the site may be reproduced, amended, modified, copied, or transmitted to third parties, by any means whatsoever without the prior written permission of the copyright owner. All rights reserved.

Glasgow Hotels: book cheap hotels in Glasgow online now.