Glasgow Guide Home

Whats On Glasgow Guide
  Glasgow What's On

Glasgow Reviews

Glasgow Gallery

Glasgow Links
Discuss | Guestbook | Postcard | News | Weather | Feedback | Search | About | What's New
Glasgow Guide Discussion Boards

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )                >> View Today's Topics <<

6 Pages V  « < 4 5 6  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> The Glasgow Effect, Glaswegians dying younger
Ossie
post 2nd Dec 2012, 02:32am
Post #76

Resident
Member No.: 16,056
QUOTE (GG @ 31st May 2010, 09:14pm) *
I know what you mean about being distrustful benny, especially when the interpretation is being made by a self-confessed middle-class non-Glaswegian (she's from Milngavie!) academic, however, Carol makes such a compelling case – drawing on a wide spectrum of evidence – that I was won over by her analysis and interpretation.

I think one factor which favours generalisation in this case is the overwhelmingly homogeneous nature of the Glaswegian working-class experience, at least up until the mid-1970s.

GG.

Aye, at least up until the mid-1970s ! Where has it gone ?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
jakka13
post 2nd Dec 2012, 03:14am
Post #77

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 1,815
In terms of loving words my Granny always asked me " Whit's up my Bairn"This is for Java .

--------------------
Auld but Still Game.

+Quote Post
smash and grab
post 2nd Dec 2012, 10:16am
Post #78

Settling In
Member No.: 8,890
QUOTE (Jupiter @ 24th Mar 2010, 11:41am) *
PatMer,one aspect of politics which has puzzled me over the years is why Glaswegians, and inhabitants of the west in general persist in voting for the Labour party. I am not saying this as a Tory, my family were the same, "Got to vote Labour" but over the decades for certain members of our society lessons have never been learned. Generations are born, grow up and die in the same deprived conditions.No work, no education or incentive to do better and all under Labour authorities. Maybe it is time to give another party a chance,they certainly couldnt do any worse.

As I travel about Glasgow I see the big fancy developments, expensive flats and houses, big luxurious hotels which all add to the illusion that Glasgow is doing fine when the fact is for many citizens the nearest they will get to them is from the outside looking in.

Im not advocating any party. On a personal level I gave up voting a long time ago.

my mother stayed in easterhouse she died three years ago aged eighty seven and she still had no central heating so she would sit in the kitchen and put the gas on, when i would visit her as i stay in london it was a nightmare going to have a bath i could not allow my mother to stay like that and took her to london, when in glasgow and drive around the east end i think what a dumpi could not agree with you more about labour councilers let glasgow flourish what a joke

+Quote Post

6 Pages V  « < 4 5 6
Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th Oct 2019

All material in the site Glasgow Guide is copyright of the Glasgow Guide Organisation. This material is for your own private use only, and no part of the site may be reproduced, amended, modified, copied, or transmitted to third parties, by any means whatsoever without the prior written permission of the copyright owner. All rights reserved.

Glasgow Hotels: book cheap hotels in Glasgow online now.