Glasgow Guide Home

Whats On Glasgow Guide
  Glasgow What's On

Glasgow Reviews

Glasgow Gallery

Glasgow Links
Discuss | Guestbook | Postcard | News | Weather | Feedback | Search | About | What's New
Glasgow Guide Discussion Boards

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )                >> View Today's Topics <<

4 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Glasgow 2014 Games Logo Launched, High hopes for Glasgow-created design
GG
post 9th Mar 2010, 09:28pm
Post #1

Administrator
Group Icon
Member No.: 1
The logo for the Glasgow 2014 Commonwealth Games was launched yesterday amid fanfare and fireworks. It is hoped that the design will become an iconic symbol of a successful games, helping to generate 80m in sponsorship money to contribute towards the expected 1/2billion cost of hosting the games in Scotland.

Glasgow design agency Marque created the logo after a gruelling worlwide search which tested some of the best minds in the contemporary design industry. The logo cost almost 100,000 to produce.

John Scott, Chief executive of the G2014 organising committee, said:
"Today is a big milestone for everyone involved in the planning for Glasgow 2014, as the unveiling of the new brand symbolises the start of a new and exciting journey towards the Games."

Deputy First Minister Nicola Sturgeon commented:
"I want the 2014 Games to be a great success and the Scottish government has been working hard to ensure that the entire country will benefit from the opportunities that this world-class event will bring to Scotland. The new brand is much more than a marketing logo. Over the next four years everyone will become familiar with this distinctive brand and begin to identify with it."

Here it is:
Attached Image

Attached Image

GG.

--------------------
Help: Register :: Login :: Forgot password? :: gg@glasgowguide.co.uk
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
GG
post 9th Mar 2010, 09:42pm
Post #2

Administrator
Group Icon
BTW, the four coloured circles represent different aspects of the games: the red circle represents the 20th time the games have been held; the yellow represents the 17 sports in the games; the blue represents the 11 days of the competition; and the green 'G' is for Glasgow, the host city.

Here's a video from the launch event:

GG.

--------------------

+Quote Post
*Govanhill Girl*
post 9th Mar 2010, 10:46pm
Post #3

I do see the word Glasgow there but thats it ....... very boring and totally missed a great opportunity to identify Glasgow as a great historic city in Scotland.

+Quote Post
Rob Rattray
post 9th Mar 2010, 10:53pm
Post #4

Visitor
Member No.: 7,864
Congratulations in keeping the design 'simple' yet complimentary to the city. Too many times in the past have we seen money squandered in the production of logos which have been used for the duration of the event then stuffed into retirement almost immediately after the event never to be seen again. Glasgow, go to the top of the class!

--------------------
God Bless
Rob

"SUPER SIDERA VOTUM”

+Quote Post
*Michael Docherty*
post 9th Mar 2010, 11:27pm
Post #5

100 Grand, eh ? In the words of entrepreneur P.T. Barnum - 'There's a sucker born every minute' which in Glasgow parlance translates to an old adage that had something to do with '...big windies...'.

+Quote Post
dugald_old
post 10th Mar 2010, 12:11am
Post #6

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 2,553
100,000 for the above diagram? I think Glasgow got ripped off. It looks like the logo for a public transit system. It's not neat, it's spread around too much... it lacks cohesion. An icon should be neat, tidy, and blazing. As an icon this is a flop and I believe it will peter out shortly after the Games.

"BTW, the four coloured circles represent different aspects of the games: the red circle represents the 20th time the games have been held; the yellow represents the 17 sports in the games; the green represents the 11 days of the competition; and the green 'G' is for Glasgow, the host city."

Attributing reasons to the coloured geometric figures does little to enhance the value of the symbol, indeed it makes the transit logo into a transit route map! What by the way, happened to the meanings for red and blue?

+Quote Post
TeeHeeHee
post 10th Mar 2010, 12:28am
Post #7

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 6,448
It took a gruelling worldwide search testing the best minds in the contemporary design industry ... to come up with that?

They could have given the task to school children in ranges of 10 to 12, 13 to 15, 16 and above awarding free passes to the 1st three in each group with executive passes for family and friends of the overall winner and saved themselves a mint ... and got a more meaningful contemporary design Logo into the bargain.
Let Glasgow Flourish.

--------------------
"Destiny is a good thing to accept when it's going your way. When it isn't, don't call it destiny; call it injustice, treachery, or simple bad luck.”
― Joseph Heller, God Knows

+Quote Post
GG
post 10th Mar 2010, 12:36am
Post #8

Administrator
Group Icon
Sorry dugald, the first green should have been blue... I've changed it in the original post.

Here's the full spiel about the design:

The creative concept behind the brand is derived from the basis of all sport - Time, Data, and Measurement. Who jumps the highest, swims the fastest, lifts the heaviest. The brand identity is made up of four distinct parts, based on Time, Data and Measurement:

1. The Glasgow 2014 Commonwealth Games will be the 20th Games. This is a landmark number that adds to Glasgow’s pride in being its host. The outer ring, that encompasses the others, is a strong, vibrant red - the official “True Red” of the Commonwealth Games Federation (CGF) palette.
  2. There will be 17 sports on the programme at Glasgow 2014. The next ring of the brand identity, in “Triumph Yellow” from the CGF palette, represents the number of sports. It’s exactly 17/20ths of the full circle.
  3. Glasgow 2014 will host 11 days of competition, which are represented in the third ring of the brand identity, rendered in the CGF’s “Heritage blue”, and making up 11/20ths of the circle.
  4. At the heart of our brand identity is 1 Host City, represented by “G” for Glasgow, meaning “Dear Green Place” in Gaelic, and is in a suitably vibrant green.

GG.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Rabbie
post 10th Mar 2010, 01:21am
Post #9

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 1,794
My suggestion.

How about something simple that been around for a few years, Glasgow's coat of arms.

Attached Image

Now, I can tell ye a wee story aboot this, so now aff tae bed with ye, yer Auntie's here, jist for consultation porpoises.

--------------------
Black holes are where God divided by zero.

+Quote Post
*KATHERINE GOETZ*
post 10th Mar 2010, 01:38am
Post #10

I too think this looks like a bus or tram or tube station indicator. They could have used our beautiful "Coat of Arms" at the top, or in the middle. There are people out there there who would have said "whats this", must look into this, and there u go its free tourist advertising. And by the way will the midgie men be out cleaning up the east end, just like when the Queen comes., and will the junkies all get free drugs so that they wont annoy the visitors, and of course I hope the midgie men wont strike at this crucial time.

GEEZE US A BREAK!
Disgusted Katherine
Born and bred in this wonderful City
now living in her twin City Nuremberg, Germany
LET GLASGOW FLOURISH - in the right way

+Quote Post
*junemm@telus.net*
post 10th Mar 2010, 05:02am
Post #11

I think the logo is great - colourful, simple, easily identifiable- come on u guys - stop beefing - should be great ! We in Vancuver have just spent heaven only knows how much but we had a great party and it made us proud. Mind u - we'll be paying for it for awhile. June Macnab

+Quote Post
daddymuzza
post 10th Mar 2010, 06:47am
Post #12

Special Visitor
Member No.: 2,434
Now it turns out that the company behind the 95,000 logo designed an identical logo 3 years ago.

Lets see them explain this.........................

http://news.scotsman.com/glasgow/Row-over-...-for.6137459.jp

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image

+Quote Post
weebren3
post 10th Mar 2010, 07:41am
Post #13

Super Visitor
Member No.: 1,440
My son who is a art directer could have done A better job,and A scots too.Dont get me wrong I am proud of glasgow all of scotland but it wont gain much money back even into the pockets of scots who are needing help,with unemployment etc. day to day living with high costs,the poor hungrey souls,I mean people in real need not the greedy who live and work off the tax payers,thats someone I say dont have any dignity or respect. Now if the govt take A piece of there pay with cuts to increasing there perks and bonus tokens,A piece of the pie,would be A great plan and way to help people beleive there is hope for all with motivation for A win win situation,the people will survive for all of Scotland,Glagow,to get out of A rut they are in now.I hope the prime minister digs into his pockets too no free passes for him or family. Sorry this is long but it burns me to no end when I read all post regarding how glasgow is closing or making cuts to our history to gain for the govt pockets sitting in England..Just my opinion. Let glasgow keep there pride dont destroy it. Our flag demands it by all means. rolleyes.gif

+Quote Post
musicthom
post 10th Mar 2010, 08:35am
Post #14

Lord Provost
Member No.: 3,810
I have to agree it's kind of non Glasgow!! as someone so rightly pointed out the only way we would know is because it has glasgow on it in words

how can they justify that price ?

they should have come to me i would have done it for nothing

exibit 1

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image

--------------------

+Quote Post
**greta**
post 10th Mar 2010, 09:07am
Post #15

I could have done a better job myself and charged far less. Whos in charge of these people who throw away money so easily on rubbish. When it could be spent on so many other good things for Glasgow. A ten year old kid could have came up with something better than this. It should have been given to the schools as a competition.

+Quote Post

4 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th Oct 2019

All material in the site Glasgow Guide is copyright of the Glasgow Guide Organisation. This material is for your own private use only, and no part of the site may be reproduced, amended, modified, copied, or transmitted to third parties, by any means whatsoever without the prior written permission of the copyright owner. All rights reserved.

Glasgow Hotels: book cheap hotels in Glasgow online now.