Glasgow Guide Home

Whats On Glasgow Guide
  Glasgow What's On

Glasgow Reviews

Glasgow Gallery

Glasgow Links
Discuss | Guestbook | Postcard | News | Weather | Feedback | Search | About | What's New
Glasgow Guide Discussion Boards

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )                >> View Today's Topics <<

6 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> City Centre Compared To War Zone, Cheap drink ruining city's reputation?
*laarneyin*
post 14th Feb 2010, 10:17am
Post #16

QUOTE (patsy @ 13th Feb 2010, 10:14pm) *
Stratson, did they trolly bus you worked on, go straight up Royston Road to the terminus, change the lines and go back again. If it was, where did it begin it's journey. Just wonderd!

If my memory serves me right (I worked out of Hampden garage as a conductor 1959/60!), the 101 ran along Royston Road on the Rutherglen-Riddrie route and the 102 from Polmadie-Riddrie

There were loops at each terminus so you didn't need to change the booms on the overhead wires
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
tombro
post 14th Feb 2010, 10:54am
Post #17

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 5,289
Firstly, for Stratson.

My fifty year old memories suggest to me that the 108 trolley bus was the one that ran through Govan out to Bellahouston. I think that's the one my family used to catch from the Govan Cross Undergound up to Craigton Road when we went to visit the Grannie who used to live in Tewkerhill.

Back on topic though, I figure the Gentleman in the article is simply whinging because the punters aren't buying their drinks from him and his cronies. The solution is simple !

If Mr James and his cronies stop charging exhorbitant prices for their drinks (and droschke alluded to this) then they might encourage more people into their establishments !

You might whinge, Mr James, but I'll bet you're still making a very comfortable living !

Tombro rolleyes.gif

--------------------
Today is the first day of the rest of your life !

+Quote Post
*Grandparents Apart*
post 14th Feb 2010, 12:46pm
Post #18

Most of our grandparents are afraid to go into the city centre at night brcause of the drunkeness and violence.

+Quote Post
ricky1824
post 14th Feb 2010, 01:09pm
Post #19

Visitor
Member No.: 1,850
Like most posters here who think Mr James is missing the sound of the cash register and missing the point completely .In my heyday in Glasgow Circa 60s the booze was cheap in the pubs We all came in from the schemes as there were no facilities and there was a territorial thing went on between the youths so what's so different. I was in Sauchiehall st last night and it was mayhem not because of the youths but because of the TAXI drivers they pull up and pull out with no set pattern to their traffic rules which makes navigation a nightmare to other roadusers maybe if they banned parked cars from Charing Cross to the Precinct from say 7 onwards we wouldn't get the same incidence of people opening doors on the wrong side because the taxi driver has double parked .This would also stop people darting between stationary vehicles because there is a brighter light on the other side of the road.Mr James is way off bat with his comments the majority of these kids are out for a bit of fun if you listen to most kids they ridicule the mindless antics of the few.

+Quote Post
glasgow lass
post 14th Feb 2010, 02:00pm
Post #20

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 4,697
To say that Glasgow is no worsr than any other city in the UK, is this something that we should be proud of !. Public drinking is a huge problem in Glasgow, I have seen it for myself and was not impressed.

+Quote Post
*Guest*
post 14th Feb 2010, 02:24pm
Post #21

Having worked in a bar in the city centre for 3 years, I completely agree. If alcohol is more expensive, then folks would tend to indulge less. The problem isn't the 45 year old couple walking out of Three Sisters after a bottle of wine, it's the guy smashing the bottle of MD 20/20 over someone’s head.

It's not about taxing the poor either, it's about folks having to adjust their lifestyle for the better. In terms of reducing your risk of heart disease, diabetes, liver disease and other problems, drinking 2 pints instead of 4 is disproportionately better in the long run.

I am 30 years old, 6'6" and 18st, but I still don't like going into the city centre late at night, I can only imagine how the older generation feel.

+Quote Post
Tommy Kennedy
post 14th Feb 2010, 02:56pm
Post #22

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 54
I was very impressed by Glasgow city centre when I visted it 4 years ago after many decades.
Glasgow was in technicolour, not the grey drab Glasgow of my childhood. Many fine restaruants, smart pubs. Mind I didn't see any of the clubs pouring out their drunks late at night/early morning.

I didn't see day time drunks roaming the city center which was common when I was a kid in auld glesga nor did I see lots of beggars, again common in auld glesga.

It seems all city centers have the problems of young drunks at night. About 20 years ago a nephew and his wife came to visit me. My son said he'd take them out to a country pub for a drink; I said no, they don't know Chester, take them down town. He said: 'I wouldn't go down town in Chester late at night!' And we're all posh toffs here in Chester rolleyes.gif

Dearer booze will not solve the problem. Applying the laws of yesteryear - and not so many yesteryears, will. Drunk and disorderly was 7 days in clink plus a fine of about 5 quid - which was about a weeks wage; now it's 80 quid - when applied - no jail time, probably about 1/4 of a weeks wage now.

Further make it as difficult to get a liqour licence as it was in yesteryear. When I first applied for a liqour licence I had to give a history of my life; provide 3 references from professional people Go in front of a panel of 3 magistrates, asking me questionss.

It was very easy to lose your licence: One offence of serving 'after time' you lost it, and a 1000 quid fine - big money back then. Drunks leaving your esatblishment you could lose it. Now for an off licence/pub it's 3 offences before they lose their licence. Once you lost a licence back then you would never get another one.

Why is the law so lax now? Big money booze and breweries have big influence in government. There is no 'Will' of the Establishment to solve the problem of young drunks!

+Quote Post
Tommy Kennedy
post 14th Feb 2010, 03:07pm
Post #23

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 54
I meant to add: My G/son went off to Oz for a year just before Christmas. He got a job in Sydney pulling pints for 6 weeks - the Aussie guy whose job he took was going to N.Z. for 6 weeks -
G/son had to study a manual given to him - drink laws etc- then go in front of a panel to answer questions before the pub was allowed to employ him.
Now in Queensland/Arilie beach working in a hotel bar - another manual, more study, answer questions before he got the job. I thought he was kidding me when he told me.

+Quote Post
butephoto
post 14th Feb 2010, 03:47pm
Post #24

Settling In
Member No.: 5,312
Having had my car vandalised on a Saturday night whilst parked outside my flat, along with other cars, I can empathise with this view of Glasgow at night. Certainly the attacks were drink-fuelled.

--------------------

+Quote Post
frame
post 14th Feb 2010, 05:18pm
Post #25

Super Visitor
Member No.: 2,486
making alcohol more expensive won't cure a problem which is (allegedly) drink fuelled.
What it will do, is give this lousy government more money to give away to whomsoever it likes.
It certainly will not be used to put police back on the streets nor' to retrain the judisery on how to really deal with yobbery.
It won't stop these layabouts getting cheep drink, let's face it, they have methods of getting what they want, when they want and at a price that suits them.
It will make it more coastly for the moderate and decent social drinkers who work hard all week and use the weekend as "planet good times"
Maybe this guy who is complaining should look at this from another angle.

--------------------
speed bonny boat

+Quote Post
**whatachef**
post 14th Feb 2010, 05:54pm
Post #26

Contributors are correct in stating that Glasgow is no worse than other UK cities. Unfortunately most UK cities are no-go areas for many citizens who seek a pleasant, relaxed atmosphere in which to enjoy a sociable drink and a meal. Glasgow's city fathers would do well to make tackling anti-social drunken behaviour a priority.

+Quote Post
Alemass
post 14th Feb 2010, 08:09pm
Post #27

Unpacking
Member No.: 7,792
Glasgow is a long way from Vancouver and I am now a senior-Senior (my term) but I manage it about every two years for visits with family, former uni-pals and WW2 buddies, who unfortunately are decreasing in numbers. I love Glasgow, always have and I specially love the bustle of the place. I was never a real Glaswegian growing up in Shawlands but I considered myself to be one and when I visit it's nostalgia that guides me. I must lunch at the Rogano as I always did fifty years ago, it's not the same place and I'm not the same person but it's my spot. For dinner the Devonshire and the Ubiquitous Chip have never disappointed so they deserve my patronage as does the Pepper Pot in Eaglesham when I (we) couple dining and driving. I have never dined at the Two Fat Ladies so I cannot comment and it is unlikely that I shall have the experience. The words "restaurant chain" sort of reminds me of McDonalds' who have scabbed the world's landscape as purveyors of obesity and impurity. The description of Glasgow being like a war zone comparable to the devastated Spanish market town depicted by Picasso's masterpiece is to me an improper metaphore spouting from a mood of frustration. I have visited many cities and inner-cities and Glasgow reflects the norm and as a Veteran who has seen War and witnessed devastation of cities, I tend to dismiss the asinine remarks of the restaurateur as impulsive. Glasgow is still a beautiful green place Let it Flourish.

+Quote Post
Professur
post 15th Feb 2010, 01:46pm
Post #28

Unpacking
Member No.: 7,227
Does noone think that perhaps they (we) should be looking into the source of the disease, instead of just at the symptoms? 'Youths' are out getting drunk and rowdy ... why? It's not like drink wasn't available to previous generations. So what's changed, and what needs to be changed to put things right?

I personally know people who put their booze and cigarette bill ahead of their rent. Raising the price of either would only result in their landlord getting stiffed. The same folk have the latest Nintendo gizmo, while getting help from the local food bank.

+Quote Post
BigArturo1
post 15th Feb 2010, 03:09pm
Post #29

Visitor
Member No.: 4,755
The area around Central Station after 9pm on a Friday or Saturday night can resemble a war zone. The scum of the planet seem to congregate at the Gordon Street station entrance where drugs are sold openly and it is intimidating for ordinary passengers who want nothing more than access to their train but have to push their way through the hordes. I know every major railway station in Britain attracts the lowlifes but that doesn't make it any easier. If I'm out for a meal or drink on a Friday or Saturday, I usually make a point of using the station before the 9pm deadline when the moonhowlers start congregating or alternatively take a cab from pub to home avoiding the madness.

+Quote Post
kenomeat
post 15th Feb 2010, 09:00pm
Post #30

Visitor
Member No.: 7,794
Have been back to Glasgow several times over the past few years, but not normally in the city centre dead late at night. About four years ago however I found myself around the West Regent/West George/Renfield area on a Saturday night somewhere at the back of midnight or 1am. It was this that rammed home to me that this was not the city I grew up in. It was hoachin wi fights breaking out right left and centre. Nothing too serious by the look of it, but it just seemed to be taken as the norm by most people around. Fists flying, girls screaming and guys yelling threats. Bouncers pushing people out of doors into the crowds of folks then not caring of the fights breaking out on the steps of the pubs'n stuff as long as they weren't actually inside anymore.
Used to be in town myself as a teen all the time... on a early night it was the 12.30 bus, but more often than not it was the 1.40 or 2.50, so wandering around the centre at night was something I was used to and there were plenty of drunks around (quite frequently me)... it was NEVER like this. Tended to be more people out for a laugh. Seeing any fight or scuffle was more the exception than the rule and, in general, felt pretty safe as long as I kept my wits about me.
Sorry, I love Glasgow and would defend it to my dying breath.... but what I saw that night made me ashamed and, am not afraid to say, a wee bit scared too. I will be back for the restaurants, bars and other old haunts, but never again late night in the town like that. It needs sotin out bad... but how beats me.

+Quote Post

6 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > » 
Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 17th Oct 2019

All material in the site Glasgow Guide is copyright of the Glasgow Guide Organisation. This material is for your own private use only, and no part of the site may be reproduced, amended, modified, copied, or transmitted to third parties, by any means whatsoever without the prior written permission of the copyright owner. All rights reserved.

Glasgow Hotels: book cheap hotels in Glasgow online now.