Glasgow Guide Home

Whats On Glasgow Guide
  Glasgow What's On

Glasgow Reviews

Glasgow Gallery

Glasgow Links
Discuss | Guestbook | Postcard | News | Weather | Feedback | Search | About | What's New
Glasgow Guide Discussion Boards

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )                >> View Today's Topics <<

5 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 5 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Winterfest Out... Christmas In, Name change for festive programme
Patter Merchant
post 29th Dec 2009, 03:18pm
Post #31

Super Resident
Member No.: 6,419
Make no mistake -- these draconian changes to our society have not been driven by the wishes of asylum seekers, many of whom feel just as marginalised as the posters on here. No. Instead, these changes have been barged through -- without ANY public consultation -- by unaccountable, highly-paid professionals acting as 'advisors' to a New Labour regime intent on destroying the fabric of British life.

The reason these bitter politicians have adopted this tactic is down to the unrelenting animosity left wing politicians have towards the 'establishment'. These bitter, twisted politicians will do anything to undermine what they see as insidious institutions (including the Conservative party) who stand up for the 'British way of life'.

Take, for instance, a report a couple of years ago from Labour's favourite think-tank -- the Institute for Public Policy Research, a group of highly-paid researchers that has been responsible for many recent Labour policies, including ID cards, bin taxes and road pricing.

The 2007 report concluded that Christmas should be downgraded to make way for festivals from other religions. The think-tank went on to say that although it would be hard to "expunge" Christmas from the national calendar, public organisations must start giving other religions equal footing. The one-sided report also proposed:

• "Birth ceremonies", at which state and parents agree to "work in partnership" to bring up children
  • Action to "ensure access" for ethnic minorities to "largely white" countryside
  • An overhaul of Britain's "imperial" honours system
  • Bishops being thrown out of the House of Lords
  • An end to "sectarian" religious education
  • Flying flags other than the Union Jack.
One wonders what our great grandparents would think of how we so meekly surrendered their hard-fought-for, and hard-won, values to a bunch of sycophantic middle-class 'researchers' acting on behalf of a band of bitter politicians with a big collective chip on their shoulders.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
hillfoot
post 29th Dec 2009, 03:19pm
Post #32

Unpacking
Member No.: 733
I wrote this some time ago in sheer frustration as to how and why these things happen. It just seems to be an excuse to destroy tradition and what is a significant contribution to our culture..if we still have such a thing or is it just a cocktail of fads and fashion that we all must imbibe at the risk of being exclusive and narrow.

Well, perhaps common sense will prevail..hope you enjoy the sentiment!

Winterfest

We’ve not to call it Christmas
We’ve to call it Winterfest
And Santa is a salesman
With Coke etched on his chest.

The Virgin birth is just not true
And who’s this guy called Joe
If it’s really in the Middle East
What’s with all this snow.

The three wise men and shepherds
Are not to show their face
This is what is needed
To keep Christians in their place!

So another feast is sanitised
And no one is insulted
But they made these changes just like that
And no one was consulted

Just remember why this day was great
And it will never cease
If you cannot give us Christmas back
For Christ’s sake give us peace!

+Quote Post
TeeHeeHee
post 29th Dec 2009, 05:15pm
Post #33

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 6,448
I'm all for Christmas and the celebration of Christmas; for whatever reasons.
I can't help thinking tho' that this whole PC thing is another case of history repeating; albeit in a less aggressive way.
I'm thinking here of how Christianity not only changed or relocated the religious fests and customs of earlier cultures but also degraded the Gods of those cultures and replaced them with the one, true, God.
Just a thought.
However in the present day case it's your own elected officials who are sanctioning the current changes and the voter has the power to stop that in it's tracks.

--------------------
"Destiny is a good thing to accept when it's going your way. When it isn't, don't call it destiny; call it injustice, treachery, or simple bad luck.”
― Joseph Heller, God Knows

+Quote Post
Heather
post 29th Dec 2009, 05:58pm
Post #34

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 664
Patter Merchant, I remember reading that the Labour think tank had discussed banning Christmas celebrations so that immigrants into this Country would feel more welcome.

I was disgusted that we should have to change our Culture & Customs to suit immigrants.
Why should we change what our dads and g'dads fought two World Wars for, to keep Britain, British.

Our generation are responsible for what kind of Country we hand on to future generations, so we must make our voice's heard against all this Political Correctness.

--------------------
Heather.......I'm tartan. Alba gu Brath. Saor Alba

+Quote Post
klingon
post 29th Dec 2009, 06:53pm
Post #35

Super Resident
Member No.: 4,815
Ok in that case then-Sikhs can rename Vesakhi,Muslims can rename Eid,and Jews can rename Hanukah!-whits guid for wan better be guid for all then-see what the PC pr**ks make of that yin!-Christmas is Christmas-anyone think the Yanks with "Happy Holidays " sounds stupid?-This is Great Britain, a Christian country ruled by a Christian monarch, it is our customs we celebrate in our country-if immigrants don't like it-tough, find somewhere else to live then!-most of my Sikh and Muslim friends celebrate Christmas quite happily!-it's another holiday!

--------------------
I hate two faced people-I don't know what face to punch first!

+Quote Post
*june macnab*
post 29th Dec 2009, 09:06pm
Post #36

After reading replies about 'winterfest' - a pagan festival? - I was struck by the tolerance shown in most letters - good for u Glaswegians! As someone mentioned, it is not new immigrants that are asking for the removal of 'christmas' but some very intense natives in all our western countries. I am not a Christian but I love the holiday as it celebrates the Christian message of peace and love - what possibly could be wrong with that? I and my grandchildren also love Santa ! The traditions of the birth of Jesus, the Christmas tree, St. Nick, the holly and the ivy etc. come from many countries including our pagan past. As for the eskimos - I am sure they would be flattered but probably puzzled. June, in Campbell River, B.C.

+Quote Post
GG
post 29th Dec 2009, 10:14pm
Post #37

Administrator
Group Icon
Member No.: 1
I went to check out the 'Christmas' displays at Springburn Shopping Centre yesterday, to see if the policy of the centre had changed since last year, i.e. to see if Santa or Christmas had returned to the shopping mall. From a distance I could make out a bright red coat, big black belt and white beard... the costume adorned by Santas all over the globe! However, excitement over, as I neared I could see that the garb belonged to an elf; the Eskimos of 2008 had been replaced by polar bears, and the penguins by a snowman! See photos below:

Attached Image

Attached Image

Maybe next year....?

GG.

--------------------
Help: Register :: Login :: Forgot password? :: gg@glasgowguide.co.uk

+Quote Post
dugald_old
post 30th Dec 2009, 12:57am
Post #38

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 2,553
I find it hard to believe that with all these adverse comments about "Winterfest" and the Springburn Shoping Centre observence of it, that these stupid winter scenes have survived. I cannot imagine they would have survived this long in the Govan I knew. I hope all these encouraging comments i have had the pleasure of reading on this thread about scrubbing Winterfest and bringing back Christmas, aren't found only on GG!

+Quote Post
Alex MacPhee
post 2nd Jan 2010, 07:12pm
Post #39

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 6,183
All this anti-Christmas nonsense has annoyed me, too ; enough that, when I fill in forms that ask for my Forename (or sometime Prename - what on earth is a Prename?) I am crossing out 'Forename' and writing 'Christian name'.

By the Lord Harry, can you imagine if Glasgow's council were all sikhs, they'd decide that Diwali was to be renamed 'Lightfest' for fear of offending Christians? They would not, and rightly not too.

--------------------
Alex

+Quote Post
*Guest*
post 3rd Jan 2010, 04:34pm
Post #40

Not everyone has a Christian name but we do all have forenames.

+Quote Post
petalpeeps
post 3rd Jan 2010, 09:36pm
Post #41

Super City Key Holder
Member No.: 4,923
I would love for the old fashioned Christmas window displays in large department stores to come back . You remember the ones with Christmas scenes that moved ? GM tv showed some of New Yorks stores before Christmas ,and they still do it . When my family saw it they thought it was lovely , don't think they believed me when i told them that's the way the town used to be . Queuing up to see Santa at Lewis's , and as you went along the line , either side had scenes with movement , it was wonderful and brought something magical to a childs Christmas . Most stores done that in those days . Children are missing out these days .

+Quote Post
tamhickey
post 4th Jan 2010, 08:10am
Post #42

City Key Holder
Member No.: 2,833
Alex, apparently the Sikhs go doo lally over Diwhali.

+Quote Post
Harrymc
post 4th Jan 2010, 09:06am
Post #43

Special Visitor
Member No.: 5,658
QUOTE (Alex MacPhee @ 2nd Jan 2010, 07:10pm) *
All this anti-Christmas nonsense has annoyed me, too ; enough that, when I fill in forms that ask for my Forename (or sometime Prename - what on earth is a Prename?) I am crossing out 'Forename' and writing 'Christian name'.

By the Lord Harry, can you imagine if Glasgow's council were all sikhs, they'd decide that Diwali was to be renamed 'Lightfest' for fear of offending Christians? They would not, and rightly not too.

+Quote Post
Harrymc
post 4th Jan 2010, 09:09am
Post #44

Special Visitor
Member No.: 5,658
What happened to the adage "When in Rome,do as the Romans do"????

+Quote Post
Alex MacPhee
post 4th Jan 2010, 02:17pm
Post #45

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 6,183
QUOTE (Harrymc @ 4th Jan 2010, 09:07am) *
What happened to the adage "When in Rome,do as the Romans do"????

Find me half a dozen Christians and a hungry lion!

--------------------
Alex

+Quote Post

5 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 17th Oct 2019

All material in the site Glasgow Guide is copyright of the Glasgow Guide Organisation. This material is for your own private use only, and no part of the site may be reproduced, amended, modified, copied, or transmitted to third parties, by any means whatsoever without the prior written permission of the copyright owner. All rights reserved.

Glasgow Hotels: book cheap hotels in Glasgow online now.