Glasgow Guide Home

Whats On Glasgow Guide
  Glasgow What's On

Glasgow Reviews

Glasgow Gallery

Glasgow Links
Discuss | Guestbook | Postcard | News | Weather | Feedback | Search | About | What's New
Glasgow Guide Discussion Boards

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )                >> View Today's Topics <<

5 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Ripped-off Glasgow: Hogmanay Punters, Forced to pay 3 for drinks in plastic cups
GG
post 8th Dec 2009, 10:50pm
Post #1

Administrator
Group Icon
Member No.: 1
Glasgow Hogmanay revellers are sure to have a bad taste in their mouth – not to mention a large hole in their pocket – this year after Scrooge bosses ruled that they will have to stump up at least 3 for a drink in a plastic glass. For the first time revellers wishing to bring in the New Year in Glasgow's George Square will not be allowed to take along their own tipple to see in the bells.

In previous years partygoers were allowed to bring their own drink to the December 31st party, sometimes requiring to decant it into plastic containers if the drink was in a glass bottle. In practise though, previously many revellers simply transferred their drink to a plastic container before going to the event, to ensure that they would be able to celebrate with minimum fuss and maximum enjoyment.

This year all ticket-holders attending the event in George Square will be searched by police or security staff before entry, and any drink (hard or soft) – even that in plastic containers – will be confiscated. The shock move comes despite authorities having consistently praised New Year crowds for their outstandingly good behaviour.

Management of the company which currently oversees the New Year event, Culture and Sport Glasgow, insist that the move, while likely to be unpopular, will enhance safety.

Revellers will see the chance of a cheap drink evaporate at a time when they are forced to pay large surcharges in transportation costs to get to-and-from the event (plus the 15 for the ticket)

A spokesman for Culture and Sport Glasgow commented:
"Revellers will be able to buy drinks to toast 2010 from bars in and around George Square, which brings us into line with other festivities in the city."

Scots' supergroup Deacon Blue will headline at the New Year party, while local star Tommy Reilly and ceilidh group Bahookie will provide support.

Hogmanay tickets for the George Square event are still available.

For more information about the event visit the Glasgow's Winter Festivals website.

GG.

--------------------
Help: Register :: Login :: Forgot password? :: gg@glasgowguide.co.uk
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
okhen?
post 8th Dec 2009, 11:05pm
Post #2

Visitor
Member No.: 7,671
Far too much control!
What a really backward step to take, can't see people really enjoying themselves queuing up to get drinks.
Maybe they're really trying to discourage the whole event.

+Quote Post
kerry4652
post 8th Dec 2009, 11:14pm
Post #3

City Key Holder
Member No.: 7,585
PROFIT! MONEY GRABBING PARASITES!

I hope people simply blank it.

+Quote Post
Rabbie
post 8th Dec 2009, 11:46pm
Post #4

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 1,794
Bringing mah ain glass.

<zimples!>

Noo, ya bam fill it up wi a quart of Fiddish, 24yo, mind ye.

No bad fur 3 quid.

< draps died.

--------------------
Black holes are where God divided by zero.

+Quote Post
Targer
post 9th Dec 2009, 12:09am
Post #5

Resident
Member No.: 223
Perhaps it's time to remember the word Boycott?.

+Quote Post
Jupiter
post 9th Dec 2009, 02:34am
Post #6

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 7,675
Health and Safety,the old chesnut,brought out again.Its sad that the general population has to put up with this claptrap at every turn.Can the people of Glasgow and the many visitors from far afield not be treated as adults when it comes to events like this?
Once again the phrase rip-off comes to mind.
One possible outcome will be punters getting well tanked up before the event.
Ive never been to an event like this and the only reason I can see for this move,especially as crowds have been praised in the past, is financial gain for those permitted to sell drink.
On another point I thought it was illegal to consume alcohol in public places.

+Quote Post
Catherine
post 9th Dec 2009, 02:48am
Post #7

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 57
Aye Jupiter.........unless there's a License, and who would own the License in this agenda? biggrin.gif

Personally, I'd boycott it as Targer says, see what the story is next year.
It's nothing more than Money and how to make more of it.

People need to start putting their money where their mouth is instead of giving in...wouldnae take long attaw for things to change once they did it. biggrin.gif

Just my opinion.

--------------------
Oh ahv jist fun anither button...

+Quote Post
murn
post 9th Dec 2009, 03:12am
Post #8

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 4,825
Don't understand why they would be charging 15 to get into the event in the first place huh.gif we usually go down town Toronto on New Years for the event in Nathan Phillips Square and have our little miniatures in pocket. Not sure if there is a drink tent (I know there is in the summer at other events) bit it is open and you can bring what you want. This is most def a money grab. If it was not then they would allow you to bring in a drink if you wanted to plus have the 'bar' for those who wished to buy a drink.

+Quote Post
donaldanderson
post 9th Dec 2009, 03:37am
Post #9

Visitor
Member No.: 5,911
Who'd be daft enough to stand in the cold for another Labour "Rip Off Glasgow!" event? Bet the Cooncillors don't have to pay.

+Quote Post
Agnes & Robert
post 9th Dec 2009, 04:07am
Post #10

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 6,256
BOYCOTT IT, DON'T ENCOURAGE THOSE THIEVING GREEDY POLITICIANS, IT'S A CRYING SHAME A GLASGOW TRADITION BEING RUINED BY THAT FILTH, FOR GOD'S SAKE BRITAIN TURN THE COUNTRY AROUND, NOTHING BUT NEGATIVITY SUCH AS CORRUPTION, THIEVING POLITICIANS IT'S DISGUSTING.

+Quote Post
JBG
post 9th Dec 2009, 05:00am
Post #11

Visitor
Member No.: 4,916
Excuse my ignorance. Are bar customers known as "punters"?

+Quote Post
jcjamieson
post 9th Dec 2009, 06:29am
Post #12

Settling In
Member No.: 1,360
Maybe our councillors should be made to pay for their drinks, hotels, meals etc when they go abroad on their "fact finding" trips.

+Quote Post
**Marty**
post 9th Dec 2009, 07:03am
Post #13

It is hardly a tradition and it will probably be raining so thefireworks will be a damp squid.

+Quote Post
norrie123
post 9th Dec 2009, 08:39am
Post #14

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 2,552
Plenty of places to go, tell them to get lost, why not bring in the New year with family and friends, or is that too old fashioned
Bye for now, norrie

+Quote Post
stratson
post 9th Dec 2009, 09:10am
Post #15

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 1,660
I'd love to read after the event, no one turned up. Now that would be a "Happy New Year"2010, at last people wisening up. mad.gif huh.gif

--------------------
"WELCOME TO MY WORLD"

+Quote Post

5 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 22nd Oct 2019

All material in the site Glasgow Guide is copyright of the Glasgow Guide Organisation. This material is for your own private use only, and no part of the site may be reproduced, amended, modified, copied, or transmitted to third parties, by any means whatsoever without the prior written permission of the copyright owner. All rights reserved.

Glasgow Hotels: book cheap hotels in Glasgow online now.