Glasgow Guide Home

Whats On Glasgow Guide
  Glasgow What's On

Glasgow Reviews

Glasgow Gallery

Glasgow Links
Discuss | Guestbook | Postcard | News | Weather | Feedback | Search | About | What's New
Glasgow Guide Discussion Boards

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )                >> View Today's Topics <<

3 Pages V  < 1 2 3  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Henry Healy Sells Last Tunnocks Teacake, Glasgow grocery institution closes last shop
**pianoplayer**
post 8th Dec 2009, 05:40am
Post #31

Ma maw wid sent me doon tae healy's oan a seterday mornin wae a shopper bigger than masel.Ah hid tae hold it up so it widnae drag oan the grun. Ma fingers were o rid when ah goit haime. They uist tae paint oan the windae wie chalk paint wae the prices usually spelt wrang. A couldnae understan the difference between links an square sausages.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
townheadboy
post 8th Dec 2009, 06:29pm
Post #32

Unpacking
Member No.: 4,740
QUOTE (LizM @ 5th Dec 2009, 08:29pm) *
I remember Joe and Jim Kane I worked with Joe in the late sixties or early seventies in Dundas Street I think Jim Kane had gone back to Ireland by then do you remember Pat Gaffney? Danny Quigley Pat Quigley or Jim Main ?

I dont remember any names of the folk that worked there when I was there only the bosses I worked there for only 3 months and they were happy times as I cant remember bad things happening to me.

+Quote Post
penny dainty
post 8th Dec 2009, 09:38pm
Post #33

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 4,591
Shame , I remember my Mum buying the butter from the big pile o it behind the counter , all put together wi butter pats.

--------------------
Dont drive faster than your guardian angel can fly.

+Quote Post
JBG
post 9th Dec 2009, 04:49am
Post #34

Visitor
Member No.: 4,916
Why am I seeing so many threads on grand old businesses shutting down? Does no one appreciate longevity or quality?

+Quote Post
marydee
post 9th Dec 2009, 11:00am
Post #35

City Key Holder
Member No.: 2,766
I would say no we don't appreciate longevity or quality we are all obsessed by buying 'cheaper' at Asda, Tesco, Morrison's ect and shopping is done in bulk to save time. Daily shopping was a social event when women stayed at home that is where they met their neighbours and caught up on the gossip. With most women working they don't have time for the daily shop and while shopping can still be seen as a social event the interactions that it generates is confined to the family and shopping takes place in anonymous stores. We ignore the old adage if you don't shop local you'll have no local shops and when these businesses close down it makes little difference to us because we didn't use them anyway.

+Quote Post
Rab-oldname
post 11th Dec 2009, 07:03pm
Post #36

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 413
'Mr Healey - is that your last tea-cake - or a meringue?' laugh.gif

+Quote Post
frankmiller
post 13th Dec 2009, 04:03am
Post #37

Unpacking
Member No.: 7,816
HEALY SOLD MORE THAN TUNNOCKS TEACAKES .

+Quote Post
tamhickey
post 13th Dec 2009, 04:28am
Post #38

City Key Holder
Member No.: 2,833
Indeed Frank, his meringues were lovely too! My favourite were all the cold meats. Great stuff for your chits during the working week and very tasty. I'm sure auldbutcher would agree.

+Quote Post
frankmiller
post 13th Dec 2009, 05:04am
Post #39

Unpacking
YOUR SOME MAN, ONE OF HH VALUED CUSTOMERS , ALL THE BEST TO YOU .

+Quote Post
frankmiller
post 13th Dec 2009, 05:34am
Post #40

Unpacking
QUOTE (tamhickey @ 13th Dec 2009, 04:26am) *
Indeed Frank, his meringues were lovely too! My favourite were all the cold meats. Great stuff for your chits during the working week and very tasty. I'm sure auldbutcher would agree.

+Quote Post
LizM
post 13th Dec 2009, 07:11pm
Post #41

Unpacking
Member No.: 7,798
QUOTE (frankmiller @ 13th Dec 2009, 05:02am) *
YOUR SOME MAN, ONE OF HH VALUED CUSTOMERS , ALL THE BEST TO YOU .

+Quote Post
ruchillboy
post 17th Jan 2010, 11:48pm
Post #42

Visitor
Member No.: 7,941
QUOTE (ashfield @ 3rd Dec 2009, 10:10am) *
Alemass, the coffee shop (Thompson's?) disappeared several years ago and nobody was interested in taking it over. The days when the wee shops thrived is when the "housewife" did her shopping on a daily basis. If you canny go to the supermarket they bring it to you in a van. I had friends who owned a small electrical retailers, they were local and provided good customer service. They constantly had folk coming in with stuff printed from the internet asking them to match prices. Of course they couldn't because of their overheads so eventually shut up shop. Local shops just can't compete so local shops will just go on disappearing. Very few of the "old" shopping areas survive, Byers Rd, bits of GW Rd are ok but Maryhill Rd, Victoria Rd are dead and Shawlands is heading that way.

I have tried to use local shops and farmers markets as much as I can but the choice available is limited. Henry Healy's shop in Stockwell St was laterly operating as a takeaway, soup, rolls etc but that market is pretty congested (see the Gregg's thread). We have also just seen Haddow's/Threshers/Wine Rack going out of business. Glasgow is littered with empty shop units and I can't see how they will ever be revived.

hi ashfield. totally agree. You mention several areas where shopping is dead - eg maryhill road. At one time one could walk virtually the length of it with shops either side the whole way to maryhill bus garage. A new Tesco is being built on Maryhill road/garioch rd i understand now. The public gets what the public wants as they say. Agree also that as you say social changes in lifestyle havent helped the small stores - as you say - many people shopped daily then - mum would decide what was gonna be had for tea that night and go and get it. Today (with the wider availibility of frozen produce for example and most mums out working ) we do the weeks shopping in one go and just buy the odd item loocally to top up midweek (eg bread and milk). And while i agree that in an ideal world paying a few bob extra to keep local shops going may be advantageous and in the long run be beneficial, not all persons are in a position financially to do so. I sadly agree with you that i cant see how many of these shops units will ever be revived. Longer term though - i do wonder what life will be like if this trend continues to the extent that virtually all local shops go under leaving only the dominant local supermarket in place as an effective monooly.!
Speaking of glasgow based shops with several branches - and as you mentioned Maryhill rd - do you remember the old Hoey's clothes shop on maeyhill rd? Think they had a few branches at one time. Are they still going?

+Quote Post
Wendy123
post 1st Feb 2010, 06:06pm
Post #43

Unpacking
Member No.: 8,073
I always had lorne n tattie scone roll (wi' broon sauce) from HH in Stockwell Street. Sad to see them gone.

sad.gif

+Quote Post
*.frankmiller*
post 27th Feb 2010, 01:44am
Post #44

i so much appreciated your comment . wendy. i was manager in stockwell street, broke ma back for 37 years for henry healy . so glad u loved your . roll. i did ma best to see all the customers got what they wanted . i never refused a customer nuthin unlike the rest of the shops . customer came first , it was money in the till . we in stockwell sold cooked meats bacon cheese eggs fruit grocery unlike the re.st of healy shops. i still took the time to roll the famed sweet cured bacon and had a good sale to the folks who knew what was good for them . reading posts from a harry healy that breaks ma heart regardin his grandparents business god knows what it does to his das ? mr healy who i worked for was a pure gentleman as was his dad . the legasy sorry to say sounds a pure asshole.. god help the henry healy name if left to .him, henry healy4th.

+Quote Post

3 Pages V  < 1 2 3
Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd Oct 2019

All material in the site Glasgow Guide is copyright of the Glasgow Guide Organisation. This material is for your own private use only, and no part of the site may be reproduced, amended, modified, copied, or transmitted to third parties, by any means whatsoever without the prior written permission of the copyright owner. All rights reserved.

Glasgow Hotels: book cheap hotels in Glasgow online now.