Glasgow Guide Home

Whats On Glasgow Guide
  Glasgow What's On

Glasgow Reviews

Glasgow Gallery

Glasgow Links
Discuss | Guestbook | Postcard | News | Weather | Feedback | Search | About | What's New
Glasgow Guide Discussion Boards

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )                >> View Today's Topics <<

8 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Glasgow City Cleansing Chaos Part 2, Glaswegians suffer for second time this year
*Guest*
post 26th Nov 2009, 03:33pm
Post #16

This is yet another example of how the clowns running the show couldn't manage a piss-up in a brewery. If we are intent on going down the line of a wafer-thin council and the private provision of services then what we need first is to get rid of Booth and Purcell to stop them 'playing' at being managers. If management consultants were to be brought into the council at the highest level with a big broom to sweep clean they would be sure to fire on the spot these numpties earning the big bucks who produce nothing, deliver nothing, and in the end, DO NOTHING!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Alex Saville
post 26th Nov 2009, 05:55pm
Post #17

City Key Holder
Member No.: 2,890
Good luck to the binmen! As a Glasgow Council Tax payer, this is not being done in my name. Their are other issues here!
The loudest voices for 4 days on / off are those who dont have to do it. It is a sad inditement on people when they tell other folk who have to work this system that if they dont like it, they can go!
Last April I e-mailed my four councillors on this matter. The SNP & Green c/lrs replied imiditately, Labour Cls Hurcombe and MacKechnie did not reply. After a number of weeks I e-mailed again. C;r Mackechnie replied, Clr Hurcombe has NEVER replied. I then e-mailed Bob Winters, Lord Provost, Allan Stewart, Dep L/P, Stepehen Purcell, leader of the Labour Group. No reply I e-mailed AGAIN! No reply. I then e-mailed Iain Gray, Labour's Scottish leader, NO REPLY!
In other words, the electrorate can B***** off, as far as they are concerned.
The employees have been bullied by the Council since they came up with this idea. The unions, UNITE, UNISON, GMB,

+Quote Post
circusier
post 26th Nov 2009, 06:10pm
Post #18

Unpacking
Member No.: 3,690
Back in the 70s the binmen went on strike and we ended up with rats the size of cats (and a daily competiition in the Evening Times for the biggest rat caught by the army who had ot come in and do the job). My bins have been sitting outside for a fortnight. How long before the rats start growing agaion? And double parking is not required - so no excuse there!!!!

+Quote Post
Alex Saville
post 26th Nov 2009, 06:16pm
Post #19

City Key Holder
Member No.: 2,890
Sorry, my PC is playing games and for some reason posted before I had finished.
To continue, the unions are all Labour supporters and reluctantly called for a ballot. The ballot was for strike action. the week before action was to take place, the unions had a meeting with Purcell (As reported in the Evening Times). The strike was called off by the officials, who also made a joint statement (According to the Times) with Purcell that they all were working for Glasgow and the employees.
The next day (Monday) Purcell was quoted in the Times as saying 'Let them go on strike! They re paving the way for privatisation!' That a Labour Councillor, never mind the Labour Leader to say that is disgraceful.
Well here's a few figures on Glasgow's Council gravy train. Bridget MacConnell, wife of Jack, Labour's ex First Minister, Boss of Culture & Sport. Salary 110,000.
Margaret Doran, resigned as Director of Education & Social Work Services (Salary 120,000.). She received 6,400 redundancy, 29,000 in lieu of notice. Pension lump sum of 185,000.
Married to Labour MP, Micheal Connarty.
If she resigned, why the payoff? Of course, nepotism is everywhere in Labour life here in Glasgow.
New Labour is just another name for New Tory, the party that inspired Tony Blair.
The Council took a big stick to the employees, now they dont like it when it is returned in kind.
As far as I am concerned, if someone has to work weekends and holidays and give up their social and Family life, then they are entitled to extra pay.
Finally, does Robert Booth, Director of Land & Environmental Services, the binmen's boss, and his deputy work four days on/off to give value to Glasgow? Or is it another case of, 'Dont do as I do, Do as I say!'
Alex

+Quote Post
*john fegan*
post 26th Nov 2009, 06:22pm
Post #20

QUOTE (Jupiter @ 26th Nov 2009, 12:50pm) *
Hi Rabbie, how about giving us some of your personal experience of working four on four off.
"thats no so bad" So what is good about it in your view?

Not Rabbie but I felt I had to reply having some experience of 4 on/4off. If you take 8 days holiday you are away from work for 16 days , And as the four days off and four days on are a rolling programme you are slill getting plenty of weekends off.
Me and my neighbours have complied with ALL the binmens criteria even to the extent of leaving the controlled entry door jammed open and they still did not empty the bins. We have compromised the security of our homes for them and they have simply ignored us. I will write to the council and if our bins are not emptied soon the bags will be thrown into the street.
These guys worked for years up to lunch time and then knocked off to the pub at our expence and now that they are made work their allotted hours they spit out the dummy. Get in workers who will roll up the sleeves and get stuck in and clear this health hazzard away.

+Quote Post
Rabbie
post 26th Nov 2009, 06:38pm
Post #21

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 1,794
QUOTE (Jupiter @ 26th Nov 2009, 12:50pm) *
Hi Rabbie, how about giving us some of your personal experience of working four on four off.
"thats no so bad" So what is good about it in your view?

Sure, mah pleasure.

If ye have ever worked in a war / trouble zones fur 4/5/6 months at a push way a only a couple of weeks rnr between stints, ye'll should ken whits good about a job empyting bins fur 4 days then having four days aff.

Luxury!

--------------------
Black holes are where God divided by zero.

+Quote Post
Ruchill Tavern
post 26th Nov 2009, 07:04pm
Post #22

Unpacking
Member No.: 7,311
I worked in Ruchill then Stobhill Hospital as a Charge Nurse, & I wish that I had been offered 4 on & 4 off. How would the binmen like alternating day & night shift (the night shift being 9pm to 8am). Never mind the duties I carried out, but what knocked me, was the upset to the "biological clock" ie., I didn't know whether I was coming or going!. I had to adjust like "jet-lag". So me hearties, do your job & if so do it properly & you are being paid by us & you ain't doing us a favour.

+Quote Post
Heather
post 26th Nov 2009, 08:21pm
Post #23

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 664
I agree with the Binmen and cannot see what is to be gained with working 4 days on and 4 days off.
It's all very well for others to say they have to work odd hours and Binmen are wrong, but as has already been said, the Binmen have a long standing contract and for the Council to bully them into this new Contract is not right.

Would anyone who works unsocial hours, i.e. weekends, and given the chance to work a straight five day week refuse to accept it. I think not.

We have three different coloured bins.
Green, everyday rubbish, emptied every week.
Brown, recycling garden rubbish, emptied every two weeks
Blue, newspapers, plastic bottle's, emptied every four weeks.

Our green bins are emptied every Monday, and so far there has been no problem.
Our Brown bins were to be emptied last week but the bin men did not turn up. The same applies to our Blue Bins, they have not been emptied this week.

--------------------
Heather.......I'm tartan. Alba gu Brath. Saor Alba

+Quote Post
Jim D
post 26th Nov 2009, 09:44pm
Post #24

Super City Key Holder
Member No.: 91
I have worked shift for nearly 30 years. For decades it was 7 on 2 off with 1 full weekend off a month. This included early, late and nightshift. In the last few years, it has changed to 4 on 2 off, 3 on 2 off and 4 on 3 off. They are 9 and 10 hour working days. It's still a standard 40 hour week (based over months). There is no shift allowance. If I am given 15 days notice, they can cancel my day off and give me another day off in return - without any enhancement. If I am held on at work, I do not receive any enhancement unless I've worked an hour. Health and safety only exists when possible - not compulsory. I get 8 public (bank) holidays a year when most of Britain gets 12 days.

Yes, I've missed family gatherings, nights out that I would have liked to attend, Christmas dinner with the family, Hogmanay with the family, funerals, Christenings - you name it, I've missed it. Still I've managed to stay married for 25 years and bring up 2 kids.

In this modern age, it's the minority that work Monday to Friday 9-5. It's the minority who get the Fair holidays. If you go on holiday, you don't see many bins getting emptied during the day in the city / town centres. They do it at night, during the hours of darkness.

The time to say NO was before the shift system was imposed - not after it, when you see how it effects your personal life.

I'll bet there is shift enhancement rates for the binmen. If my wheelie-bin is full and I leave a black bag on top of it? As sure night follows day the black bag will be there waiting for me.

What would happen if the GCC privatised the bin collections? The contractor would employ the binmen for less money and less working conditions. The GCC would not have to deal with unions and could set penalty clauses on the contractor for failing to do the work or keep it within budget. The contractor would then use a sub-contractor, who would pay even less money for the same work.

Don't think it would happen? They did it with the house maintainance and direct labour (building new houses) 30 years. I served my apprenticeship with the old Glasgow Corporation and remember it well. I worked in the modernisation programmes throughout Glasgow in the late 70's. The contactors (mainly Frank Lafferty) employed the tradesmen and we were on "price work". Each job being costed, the more work you did in the week the more you earned. He then sub-contracted the work and over-night I was employed by the sub-contractor doing almost double the work for the same money. What did I do? I changed careers and have spent the rest of my working life, so far, on shift work.

--------------------
Jim D

Nemo Mortalium Omnibus Horis Sapit - NO man is at all hours wise.

+Quote Post
GG
post 26th Nov 2009, 10:19pm
Post #25

Administrator
Group Icon
Member No.: 1
STV has picked up on the story and has been out interviewing residents and a bin lorry driver:

http://news.stv.tv/scotland/west-central/1...p-with-rubbish/

According to the driver, workers have been threatened with the sack or demotion for what he says is working to rule by following health and safety regulations. The council has asked that residents put out only "essential items for collection".

GG.

--------------------
Help: Register :: Login :: Forgot password? :: gg@glasgowguide.co.uk

+Quote Post
Catherine
post 26th Nov 2009, 11:15pm
Post #26

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 57
In response to Ruchill Tavern....I was brought up in a House of Nurses, the only one who never did Shift work was my Mum because she worked Clinical Hours in Rottenrow.
I never knew my Dad God rest him, not to work Christmas day, be it an Early, Clinical or Backshift....New Years day the same....EVERY year.
My Brother and Sister in Law are the same, and because they don't have Children, often change the Christmas Day Shift with Nurses who have, so that those Nurses can be with their Children.
My Sister is usually off due to the nature of her Clinic on any High Holiday. That said, she also did Shift work all her life before.
There were some High Holidays that ma Mums table wis cleared and reprepared three or four times in the wan day laugh.gif

Bin Collection is an Essential and should be treated in the same way as Nursing is an Essential.

I have no idea the average Wage of a Binman, lets face it, strength an humour is key but it's not exactly Rocket Science.
A Nurses wage for their expertise and years of Learning on the other hand is a Disgrace....but one can hardly leave vulnerable Patients with no care.

I just find the Entitlement factor in Todays Workforce totally Pathetic in some cases.
This is one of those cases.

Just my opinion. biggrin.gif

--------------------
Oh ahv jist fun anither button...

+Quote Post
Heather
post 26th Nov 2009, 11:53pm
Post #27

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 664
I also have family who are Nurse's, and often because of Staff shortages they have to work double shifts.
One family member was a Fireman now retired, and worked 4 days on and 4 days off. He knew that before taking the job.

People who go into Professions like Nursing, Police, Firemen etc, know beforehand the working conditions. It is not something they were bullied into unlike what the Council are doing to the Binmen.

I can't see any sense in this change of working conditions, is it just to cut wages, what will be gained from it?????

--------------------
Heather.......I'm tartan. Alba gu Brath. Saor Alba

+Quote Post
Catherine
post 27th Nov 2009, 12:10am
Post #28

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 57
Oh sorry Heather and Co.....I thought this was the whole point of their Work to Rule, that their Union agreed to the Four on Four Off and now they're reneging on the deal made.

--------------------
Oh ahv jist fun anither button...

+Quote Post
Old Sailor
post 27th Nov 2009, 12:28am
Post #29

Visitor
Member No.: 4,642
I agree with other expats who view the streets of Glasgow against those of places from where they are returning, in my case Vancouver, Canada. Glasgow is a filthy city, but it always has, and the culture permits it to be so. Some years ago my wife had a summer coat ruined when travelling on public transit and a worker wearing his oil soaked coveralls (boiler suit) sat next to her. Thare have been numerous examples of the lack of consideration that Glaswegians have for their environment, it is not all the responsibility of the binmen to keep the streets clean or the garbage from accumulating. I am not privy to the working conditions that the binmen encounter, however I do know thet four and four is an archaic system that demands rectifying.

+Quote Post
TeeHeeHee
post 27th Nov 2009, 12:44am
Post #30

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 6,448
QUOTE (Catherine @ 26th Nov 2009, 03:04am) *
If the Four on Four off disnae suit then ...

By the way, that photo of the rubbish and the boxes, widnae get picked up here either....boxes have to be broken down and stringed first before pick up laugh.gif

Four on: Four off or Seven on: Seven off is a great way to work and play.
(My job entailed 42 on: 7 off at most times.)
Here the bins(60 ltr) are placed at the kerbside facing the street. The wagon pulls along side and a grip arm reaches out and picks the bin up to empty it into the wagon. All automatic.
Same with the cartons (100 ltr bin).
Bins have a bar code. Each emptying is registered and the bill (about 2.5 per.) is deducted from your bank account quarterly.

--------------------
"Destiny is a good thing to accept when it's going your way. When it isn't, don't call it destiny; call it injustice, treachery, or simple bad luck.”
― Joseph Heller, God Knows

+Quote Post

8 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > » 
Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th Oct 2019

All material in the site Glasgow Guide is copyright of the Glasgow Guide Organisation. This material is for your own private use only, and no part of the site may be reproduced, amended, modified, copied, or transmitted to third parties, by any means whatsoever without the prior written permission of the copyright owner. All rights reserved.

Glasgow Hotels: book cheap hotels in Glasgow online now.