Glasgow Guide Home

Whats On Glasgow Guide
  Glasgow What's On

Glasgow Reviews

Glasgow Gallery

Glasgow Links
Discuss | Guestbook | Postcard | News | Weather | Feedback | Search | About | What's New
Glasgow Guide Discussion Boards

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )                >> View Today's Topics <<

4 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> The Barrowland Isnae The Barras, Online campaign mixes up city icons
Mister Glasgow
post 20th Nov 2009, 10:22pm
Post #31

Unpacking
Member No.: 5,773
The Barrowland Ballroom is the Barras .... and the Barras Market is the Ballroom ... Watch www.youtube.com/glasgowtelevision

I hail from the Barras area ..... THE DUGS IN THE SURROUNDING STREETS ARE ALSO THE BARRAS .........

Do you get what I am trying to say . And for all those who voiced there protest .THANKS ..

Cos ......if the Gstapo Glasgow city Idiots at the council ...have ther way , then there wo'nt be any of them
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Rab-oldname
post 20th Nov 2009, 10:57pm
Post #32

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 413
I saw Prince Monolulu there once. 'I GOTTA HORSE!'

My Dad bought a watch for my Mammy - when he gave it to her, there was no works inside it! Never did find the crook that sold it - lucky for him!

+Quote Post
Elma
post 21st Nov 2009, 06:59pm
Post #33

Mega City Key Holder
From: Originally Annan with a wee bit of Glasgow in between now Kimberley, B.C.
Member No.: 1,650
Thank you Heather, I thought I was the only one here who didn't like the "Barras". I was only there once and I couldn't get away quickly enough, I was with my boyfriend and I think we left after only 10 minutes. I was so uncomfortable with the crowds, the noise and the smell and I never went back.

+Quote Post
Weir45
post 21st Nov 2009, 07:11pm
Post #34

Visitor
Member No.: 6,918
Used to love the Barras years ago. My sister was home from Canada couple of years back, and wanted to go to the Barras. She had her camera with her to take some pics.
Big burly fellow came up and told us in no uncertain terms, to take nae photies!
Needless to say, we couldn't get away quick enough.

+Quote Post
pumps100
post 21st Nov 2009, 07:56pm
Post #35

Super City Key Holder
Member No.: 5,333
I agree with the previous posts. My wife and I used to go to the barras almost every Sunday in the mid -70's. Always in the rain and each time we went we vowed never again - but the next week we would be back.

It is now dead on its feet. We went recenty - I'm afraid car boots have killed it. Perhaps for the better.

Regards

Ian

+Quote Post
possilboy
post 21st Nov 2009, 10:48pm
Post #36

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 6,212
i remember the barras very well 1959 i painted all the stalls and the barrowland i also remember the wee indian selling the snake oil for corns he used to cut them off every week for years i think it was cooking oil in the wee bottles my auntie jinty had stall selling second hand clothes she was still doing it in 1997 when i was home cheers jw

+Quote Post
NKS kid
post 22nd Nov 2009, 11:21am
Post #37

Visitor
Member No.: 5,427
My Mum hated going to the Barras but occasionally she relented and we would make the big trip from Maryhill. It took that long to get there on the bus we felt like we were in a different country by the time we got there.

I can't remember much about the stalls. Remember buying towels before I got married 30 years ago. Still got one to this day.

My Mum's favourite place - The Oyster Bar. We would walk into the steamy atmosphere. Find a seat and order plates of mussels. We would sit there in silence eating them until the plates were empty. I remember seeing customers, men mostly, come in to buy cups of brine. Maybe it was a good hangover cure. We always took bags of whelks and some clappie doos (not sure about spelling) home for my Dad.

+Quote Post
*PAUL DAVIDSON*
post 23rd Nov 2009, 01:32pm
Post #38

Thank goodness someone has picked up that the Barrowland Ballroom is not the Barrowland(s), with an s attached. There is a lot of turkeys out there who don't come from the Calton.

+Quote Post
frame
post 25th Nov 2009, 09:28pm
Post #39

Super Visitor
Member No.: 2,486
Did my heart just flip for a second there? My eyes shot to the Glenfiddich,hands shaking and then... no, it's just a mistake, it's fine, cool down.
Only kidding.
mind you, it was touch and go with the Glenfiddich.
viva la barras

--------------------
speed bonny boat

+Quote Post
wombat
post 25th Nov 2009, 10:22pm
Post #40

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 5,196
wis a great place ,guy sellin china aff a truck "unbreakable'' he'd yell ,while boucing and smashing plates an cups off the bed of his truck, "a quid each" for a teaset an as ah remember guid quality.

--------------------
the mighty only appear mighty
because YOU are on your knees.RISE UP.

wombat thit grates oan yie.

+Quote Post
don.stuart
post 28th Nov 2009, 10:52am
Post #41

Settling In
Member No.: 6,063
Before the pubs opened 7 days a week the Barras was probably one of the only few places to go on a Sunday.You could spend a few hours wandering round the stalls,listen to music or nip in to a cafe and get fish and chips or pie and chips. It was a good place to buy records. I suppose it's a bit old fashioned now and maybe if the Council comes up with a better idea then we should applaud them.. The Barras was always a bit tacky, and maybe we should be looking forward, not back.I met my wife in the Barrowland Ballroom above,and I'll always remember feeling gutted when some yeas later the dance hall got burnt down . It was like the end of the world to me,and when it reopened, then Billy McGregor got the sack again I was broken hearted. Years later I got a Taxi to Maryhill and the driver was Billy.I felt so sorry for him although he wouldn't have wanted that. Billy McGregor and the Gaybirds to me were brilliant, and it's me that's probably getting auld.

+Quote Post
joni-mo
post 28th Nov 2009, 11:41pm
Post #42

Unpacking
Member No.: 3,218
THE BARRAS ROCK... biggrin.gif ... JONI

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image

+Quote Post
Tennscot
post 29th Nov 2009, 05:12am
Post #43

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 2,796
QUOTE (don.stuart @ 28th Nov 2009, 11:50am) *
Before the pubs opened 7 days a week the Barras was probably one of the only few places to go on a Sunday.You could spend a few hours wandering round the stalls,listen to music or nip in to a cafe and get fish and chips or pie and chips. It was a good place to buy records. I suppose it's a bit old fashioned now and maybe if the Council comes up with a better idea then we should applaud them.. The Barras was always a bit tacky, and maybe we should be looking forward, not back.I met my wife in the Barrowland Ballroom above,and I'll always remember feeling gutted when some yeas later the dance hall got burnt down . It was like the end of the world to me,and when it reopened, then Billy McGregor got the sack again I was broken hearted. Years later I got a Taxi to Maryhill and the driver was Billy.I felt so sorry for him although he wouldn't have wanted that. Billy McGregor and the Gaybirds to me were brilliant, and it's me that's probably getting auld.

I wondered what happend to Billy.!!! Iwent there three times a week in the early fifties, Jived a lot. met my Wife there. Lived across the street in Hunter St. when first married. Lotsa Memories. wub.gif

+Quote Post
glasgow lass
post 29th Nov 2009, 04:41pm
Post #44

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 4,697
I can remember going down to the Barras with my parents, they had an old friend who
had a spot to sell baby clothes, her name was Mamie Madden.
It was fun going down there, always packed as well.

+Quote Post
possilboy
post 29th Nov 2009, 08:28pm
Post #45

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 6,212
here is a few memories billy mcgregor and the bandstand

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image

Attached Image

+Quote Post

4 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 >
Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 21st Oct 2019

All material in the site Glasgow Guide is copyright of the Glasgow Guide Organisation. This material is for your own private use only, and no part of the site may be reproduced, amended, modified, copied, or transmitted to third parties, by any means whatsoever without the prior written permission of the copyright owner. All rights reserved.

Glasgow Hotels: book cheap hotels in Glasgow online now.