Glasgow Guide Home

Whats On Glasgow Guide
  Glasgow What's On

Glasgow Reviews

Glasgow Gallery

Glasgow Links
Discuss | Guestbook | Postcard | News | Weather | Feedback | Search | About | What's New
Glasgow Guide Discussion Boards

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )                >> View Today's Topics <<

4 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> The Barrowland Isnae The Barras, Online campaign mixes up city icons
**kathleen**
post 20th Nov 2009, 12:06pm
Post #16

We McAleers have a long history with both the Barras and the Barrowland "Maw Kate " (my husband's granny) had the stall under the clocks where you could buy bedspreads and cushions. Her eldest son Joe McAleer was THE bouncer at the Barrowland and threw many a drunk down those steep stairs. Long before I met the family, I remember the Rolling Stones performed at the Barrowland while I was a wee Charlotte Street Girl in the early sixties. Can you still have your photo taken at the Barras in your best gear? Visited the Barras in 2007 while on holiday in Glasgow. Long may they continue as the icons they are !
Kathleen McAleer
Melbourne
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Lennox
post 20th Nov 2009, 12:33pm
Post #17

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 1,288
QUOTE (Kaneman @ 20th Nov 2009, 07:41am) *
Talkin aboot that dae yeh still get the welks in a broon paper poke wi a wee pin laugh.gif Miss the Barras, remember ahn uncle had a stall there probably 40 years ago

How can you foget them oh the smell, my granny loved them but no me. I still can remember the first time I went to the Barra's on my own wisny the same as going with my granny or granda huh.gif

--------------------

You don't have to live next door, to be a friend !

+Quote Post
petunia
post 20th Nov 2009, 12:56pm
Post #18

Super Lord Provost
Member No.: 6,822
Ah I remember it well, good times at Barrowland as for the barras you could find the real Glasgow people walking and joking around there and some good deals for what you could afford.

+Quote Post
Professur
post 20th Nov 2009, 01:18pm
Post #19

Unpacking
Member No.: 7,227
If not for the Barras, I'd never have enjoyed the Sarry Heid.

Although watching a guy stick a lit fag between the toes of a dozing drunk at Baird's was almost as much fun.

+Quote Post
**peter.howden**
post 20th Nov 2009, 03:07pm
Post #20

17 Lucky number; part (2)

Jim Hamilton and I wandered into most dance halls while we were very close friends though I would go further by stating we were best mates for around five years or so. Jim with his Buddy Holly broad rimmed glasses certainly cut a dash and was different from me in many aspects. He was studious ambitious, modest and very good looking, whilst I was blasť if not lazy and not so good looking but slightly more street wise and talkative The last was obvious and this type of partnership was common on the dating front. Most girls and boys hung around in sort of groups but paired with another to go of to a party or dance.

The idea was simply the good looking one would look much better if his china was “looks challenged”, or not nearly as pleasant to look at. This highlighted the profile of the handsome being. The ordinary one or sometimes the just plain ugly one, benefited by having a chance of catching the girls who hung about viewing the better on. This scam worked well for both sexes as most girls went to places with (me and my pal) that idea of safety and the boys saying “I don’t like the look of yours” (now politically incorrect). This may sound like being derogative towards the opposite sex but I would argue that it was a safety net for like today’s youth we were learning our way and giving the impression that we were and in the know.

Jim had this beaming smile, which would have put paid to Robert Redford and perhaps Burt Lancaster’s; as they were only on the silver screen but he was right there in person. A whiff of his alluring aftershave or a glancing kiss would seal the pact for most of the girls but few achieved it.

I would defiantly say I did not become his friend because he was better bait to hook, we just rather happened through various actions and events which pulled us together. It did become obvious when we both dressed up as girls for a Youth Club show and I noticed certain chicks still gazed starry eyed in hope at him with indifference tossed my way. It could be that I was not a fine looking as he but the certainly was that he was a genuine nice fella.

One of these chosen nights of female hunting, we decided to hit the Glasgow and Scotland’s famous Barrowland. Choosing to stop oft at the majestic Saracen heid, probably Glasgow’s oldest pub though there are people who state, in earnest ,that the city’s oldest working pub is “The College Bar” in High St. Anyway, we stepped the door into the Saracen Heid Inn to replenish our whistles for the night ahead.

Climbing the steep stairs to the dancing we flung open the barrier doors to see the crowd there were in full flow, whatever steps they were taking. In the outer circle they concentrated on the “Barra Slide” and being a simple movement anyone could take part while in the middle and outer rings, loads of the rest were doing their own thing and quite happy about it.

With a sharp pushback of the shoulders and then a lock forward of the neck(something like a chicken movement when it walks). This was vital before you forward on the floor, demonstrated so well and beautifully by Jack and Rikki (much missed Francie and Jossie) video’s of Scotland’s favorite due comedy act. Jim and I approached two dancers to take part and to our amazement, they waved dismissal to our craft advances. The actual words used were lost in the volume of sound within the hall but it was obvious the ladies were not interested.
O.K. we had been turned down before, and by better looking colleens, so we moved on in a instance and taped the shoulders of the next available ladies in arm reach and these wenches repeated what the first ones did but with more vigor.

As the music stopped we took stock, analyzing that we had only a few beers within us, and we had not forgotten to brush our teeth, our fly’s were closed, so on to the affray. To our horror the same happened and repeatedly to the point of predictability. We started to lose whatever cool we thought we had and just stomp up to the remaining talent, unmolested by us, and gesture a wish to dance with the answer being always the same. It went on and on into a vale of desperation and panic but to no avail but worse than that, no talent .and now……….. no chance?.

I do not know who suggested it or how fast it came, all I can remember is being refused through red haze and drinking a beer in the Sarry heid next moment. One thing was for sure, we retired defeated and totally rejected. We started to count and were amazed to find out no matter how we did the sums, that seventeen times we were refused a dance by a whole range and types of girls. It came to pass, with no words spoken, we elected to stay in the safety of the warm walls of the pub and I did get a lumber in there but I have trouble remembering exactly who?

I blamed Jim since he was supposed to be the handsome one to pull the birds but that just proved how much a cad I was because Jim never cast any onus or castigations.

People that are always nice, can be such bloody swine’s?.

I have latterly danced down the street on numerous occasions but two justifications springs to mind. Both took place well after midnight and after I had been told, someone not only cared for me but loved me, and I really cared for them .

Once I danced and sang at the top of my tonsils the entire road from the Embassy Cinema to Minard Rd just like “Singing in the Rain” but without the rain and puddles and umbrella and the skill of Master Gene Kelly and not the cop shop but with all the enthusiasm and boldness of a hop and shooglie dancer.

The other one was from Toryglen and Victoria Rd where I sang at the top of my voice a made up song that has gone with the wind beneath my feet. I sprang flipped and nearly flew as never before but all unseen, as far as I know?.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

+Quote Post
**sairfinger**
post 20th Nov 2009, 03:08pm
Post #21

used to go to the barrowland when it was a dance hall and iam always on the look for a band that i want to see so i can go back and she want it looks like now and reminise ahhhhh lol

+Quote Post
enrique
post 20th Nov 2009, 03:12pm
Post #22

Lord Provost
Member No.: 1,842
cool.gif In my early years the only place to be on a Sunday wis the Barras, this is where you bought your wedding presents , a big favourite was the bedding pile you could get for a fiver, or the towels that were all great value, we even used to spend the day mostly at the outdoor stalls where the guys patter was like a visit to the comic halls, i once made the mistake of arguing with one o these blokes about the price of a purse he then offered me it for free if i would give my girl a kiss movie style, i did it in front of about a hundred people, good laugh though, who can forget Dannys delicious donuts, hot straight from the machine , we always meant to take some home but we never managed it, just ate them as we walked around, there was also the african guy selling the cure potions for warts and corns, he even had some auld yins on show, the horsey guys would give you a sure thing for the following weeks racing , it cost you half a crown
great days great charachters

+Quote Post
TeeHeeHee
post 20th Nov 2009, 03:36pm
Post #23

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 6,448
QUOTE (enrique @ 20th Nov 2009, 04:10pm) *
there was also the african guy selling the cure potions for warts and corns,

I remember him well ... now. wink.gif
He used to roll around on the ground moaning and groaning as if he was dying and then take a slug of his snake-skin oil and spring back onto his feet.
Loved going to the Barras.
Was better than the sea side biggrin.gif

--------------------
"Destiny is a good thing to accept when it's going your way. When it isn't, don't call it destiny; call it injustice, treachery, or simple bad luck.”
― Joseph Heller, God Knows

+Quote Post
Bestie
post 20th Nov 2009, 05:43pm
Post #24

Settling In
Member No.: 6,928
Seems such a small mistake to get into a lather about! On a different note..the barras has been there for many poor families for many years and I for one, would`nt have managed to present my weans with christmas gifts if it had`nt been for the many bargains to be had there. I think it is a crime itself to take it away from the many who depend on the ever famous barras! Stand up and fight folks, you have nothing to lose but our ain wee loved barras!!

+Quote Post
Bestie
post 20th Nov 2009, 05:45pm
Post #25

Settling In
Member No.: 6,928
I can still smell and taste those beautiful hot doughnuts that used to be sold there...cooked in front of your eyes, dipped in sugar and plonked into a wee broon paper bag......mmmmmmmmm!!!!

+Quote Post
ashfield
post 20th Nov 2009, 07:10pm
Post #26

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 6,611
I don't think the Barra's market is even half as good as it was 20 or 30 years ago. There are so many fly-by-nights selling knock-off or counterfeit goods. It has been raided by police on several occasions (the last about a month ago) but procecutions rarely follow because of the expense involved. They usually settle for the forfeiture of the items involved. The atmosphere has changed to something that seems less relaxed and I don't know how they will get it back. It faces a lot of competition from boot sales etc and charity shops chasing the same markets.

--------------------
If you want to make God laugh, tell him about your plans (Woody Allen)

+Quote Post
**johnp**
post 20th Nov 2009, 07:40pm
Post #27

Hi Used to go dancing at Barrowland in the 1950s ,,and the wife and i used to walk round the Barras and watch all the action on the back of lorries ,you could buy any thing there and christmas eve was the best night of the year,,

+Quote Post
marydee
post 20th Nov 2009, 10:06pm
Post #28

City Key Holder
Member No.: 2,766
I am going to the Barrowland next Saturday to see the Sawdoctors and to feel the flerr bounce up and down in time to the music.

+Quote Post
wombat
post 20th Nov 2009, 10:07pm
Post #29

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 5,196
QUOTE (*johnp* @ 20th Nov 2009, 07:38pm) *
Hi Used to go dancing at Barrowland in the 1950s ,,and the wife and i used to walk round the Barras and watch all the action on the back of lorries ,you could buy any thing there and christmas eve was the best night of the year,,
wizzat they lorries that everythin fell off the back of johnp ? cool.gif wis brillyunt in 60s.

--------------------
the mighty only appear mighty
because YOU are on your knees.RISE UP.

wombat thit grates oan yie.

+Quote Post
Heather
post 20th Nov 2009, 10:20pm
Post #30

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 664
I couldn't care less if the Barra's closed.

It's a dirty smelly place. In saying that, it's years since I've been there. The last time I was there the smell made me sick, so I never went back.

It was good for bargains years ago and you got a laugh listening to the patter of the people selling their goods.

--------------------
Heather.......I'm tartan. Alba gu Brath. Saor Alba

+Quote Post

4 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 >
Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 15th Oct 2019

All material in the site Glasgow Guide is copyright of the Glasgow Guide Organisation. This material is for your own private use only, and no part of the site may be reproduced, amended, modified, copied, or transmitted to third parties, by any means whatsoever without the prior written permission of the copyright owner. All rights reserved.

Glasgow Hotels: book cheap hotels in Glasgow online now.