Glasgow Guide Home

Whats On Glasgow Guide
  Glasgow What's On

Glasgow Reviews

Glasgow Gallery

Glasgow Links
Discuss | Guestbook | Postcard | News | Weather | Feedback | Search | About | What's New
Glasgow Guide Discussion Boards

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )                >> View Today's Topics <<

6 Pages V  « < 4 5 6  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Polls Open - Glasgow North East, Voting starts on by-election day (Video)
chippyjim
post 21st Nov 2009, 11:35am
Post #76

Special Visitor
Member No.: 7,529
hi the torry gov { maggie thatcher} held a referendom on independence 1972? in wich the vote was in favour maggie deemed the abstainers to be a no vote add to the voters who did vote no she got her win by a small maj yours jim
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
pumps100
post 21st Nov 2009, 12:14pm
Post #77

Super City Key Holder
Member No.: 5,333
QUOTE (bilbo.s @ 21st Nov 2009, 08:47am) *
Ian,

I agree with your point about anonymous "guests" but I would suggest that they are hardly worse than many people on the board who divulge nothing about themselves apart from pseudonyms.

They of course have a right to privacy while others like you and I freely declare our domiciles and at least a sketchy life history but I feel it is just the same as being anonymous on their part.

Bill,

You are entirely right - I had never considered that point before - it is the same. Thanks for making me think about that.

Have a nice day in Spain. This time last year where we were living in Murcia they had the coldest November since records began. Very mild in England - 14 c while walking the dog half an hour ago.

Regards

Ian

+Quote Post
bilbo.s
post 21st Nov 2009, 12:40pm
Post #78

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 5,582
Thanks, Ian - not often I am told I am entirely right biggrin.gif but I am bound to be some time.

Glad to hear somebody in UK is getting decent weather.. Still low 20´s here and sunny. Last winter was the coldest for many years here- we even saw snow on the foothills of the Sierra Nevada. No chance of frost though.

Orrabest

Bill

--------------------
Just because we disagree doesn't mean I don't like you, and just because I don't like you doesn't mean I disagree with you.

+Quote Post
*Jim Morrow*
post 22nd Nov 2009, 06:41am
Post #79

Born in 767 Springburn Road above the Boundry Bar, in 1951 the year Rob Roy won the Scottish Cup I was informed.

Lived in 2 bedroom tenement with mother and father and four sisters gran & granpa Mac lived up above us as did my cousins the Mc Williams boys.

Did not have much but what we did have was compassion and caring from neighbours,my childhood memories of growing up in Springburn were the best days of my life.

Nowdays children all want the lastest of everything.

Growing up in the backyards of Springburn searching the middens, jumping the pipes,fittba up the daisy park, Mr Mc Queen's penny tray,Annie Marshall's Dairy, Surthland's Butcher's, Kit Kat Cafe Quinns Pub, Publis Baths, Santies Fish & Chip shop, City Bakeries (rock cakes ) Parrs (snowballs), saturday morning Princess Cinema, cowboys & indians,this is just a small part of Spring burn life as I remember it.

If you came from Springburn you were Top Drawer material.I am 58yrs old now and have lived in Australia for the past 26 yrs Icome back to Glasgow every couple of years and still regard Glasgow as my home City, it has a heart & soul all of its own.

The Springburn I once knew does not exist anymore,what I have found every time I come home is that most of the people of Glasgow seem to have no pride in ther City, empty cans, bottles, left over food containers, fish & chip papers laying in the srteets of Glasgow.

So stop blaming the politicians & local councils, for everything that is wrong in Glasgow, take a good look at yourself and your City and ask yourself am one of these Glaswegins who have contributed to the problem.

Glasgow is a wonderful City, you should take pride and be proud to belong to Glasgow.

+Quote Post
Foxy52
post 22nd Nov 2009, 05:07pm
Post #80

Super Lord Provost
Member No.: 5,742
Hello Jim Morrow, Welcome to the site. I was also born in Springburn and have a lot of memories good and bad growing up there, l was born a year later than you 1952 in Keppochhill Road.
I don't know if you know or not but there is another site dedicated to Springburn that l think you would be interested in. The members of it all seem to come from around your part of Springburn, l am sure you would know some of them. The name of the site is.............
Reminiscences of Springburn
Give them a look, incidently l went to school with a guy who was one of my friends, his name is Billy Morrow, his family used to live across the street from me in Fraserbank Street off Keppochhill Road.I think they moved to East Kilbride in the late 60s, any relation?
Foxy

+Quote Post
North Canalbank ...
post 22nd Nov 2009, 05:38pm
Post #81

Visitor
Member No.: 7,593
QUOTE (chippyjim @ 21st Nov 2009, 11:33am) *
hi the torry gov { maggie thatcher} held a referendom on independence 1972? in wich the vote was in favour maggie deemed the abstainers to be a no vote add to the voters who did vote no she got her win by a small maj yours jim

Think your getting a bit mixed up here.
Maggie was,nt elected until 3rd of May, 1979.
Are you meaning the devolution referendum vote held on 1st March 1979, weeks before Mrs Thatcher became Prime Minister of the UK.
Afraid Jim Callaghan,s Labour Party was to blame for that one, if thats what your meaning.
The vote was,nt about independence but to set up a Scottish Assembly, a very weak version of Home Rule.
And yes the vote was rigged but not by Maggie.

+Quote Post
chippyjim
post 22nd Nov 2009, 07:26pm
Post #82

Special Visitor
north canalbank i bow to yr better memory but thle one i refer 2 must be before those events or it might have been the callaghan gov at my age things get a bit mixed up but i do remeber the papers refering to the goal posts being moved just wishful thinking on my part on maggie all the best thanks for puting me right jim

+Quote Post
chippyjim
post 22nd Nov 2009, 07:32pm
Post #83

Special Visitor
to north canalbank i still refer to a vote 1971 2 or ther abouts will get bach to regards jim

+Quote Post
North Canalbank ...
post 23rd Nov 2009, 12:12pm
Post #84

Visitor
Member No.: 7,593
QUOTE (chippyjim @ 22nd Nov 2009, 07:30pm) *
to north canalbank i still refer to a vote 1971 2 or ther abouts will get bach to regards jim

There was a vote in the the early 1970s , yes or no, for joining the Common Market.

+Quote Post
**aprilleon**
post 25th Nov 2009, 07:05am
Post #85

woww... awesome voice,This reminds me back then. I have great friends who live there in springburn. No matter what part you live everyone needs to pull together and help to keep the place in the best way.

regards,
april.

+Quote Post
bonnie22
post 4th Feb 2010, 12:48am
Post #86

Visitor
Member No.: 7,989
Thanks GGAdmin for thE great video. How do I send it to someone to
look at?

Bonnie22.

+Quote Post
GG
post 23rd Feb 2010, 11:13pm
Post #87

Administrator
Group Icon
Member No.: 1
Hi Bonnie22,

My apologies, I have only just now read your post. ohmy.gif The easiest way to send on details of the video to watch is via the YouTube link here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WZXxtDG6AT0

Thanks for sending it on.

GG.

--------------------
Help: Register :: Login :: Forgot password? :: gg@glasgowguide.co.uk

+Quote Post
GG
post 23rd Feb 2010, 11:16pm
Post #88

Administrator
Group Icon
Member No.: 1
The GNE by-election is back in the papers today:

Election watchdog rebukes Labour for delay

Britain’s election watchdog has issued an unprecedented rebuke to the Labour Party over the four-and-a-half-month delay in holding last year’s Glasgow North East by-election.

The Electoral Commission pointed out in its report that no constituency in the UK had been without an MP for a longer period in the past 35 years.

The by-election was staged after Michael Martin, the former Commons Speaker, decided to stand down as an MP in the wake of the Westminster expenses scandal.

Full story here:
http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/uk/s...icle7036671.ece

GG.

--------------------
Help: Register :: Login :: Forgot password? :: gg@glasgowguide.co.uk

+Quote Post

6 Pages V  « < 4 5 6
Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 14th Oct 2019

All material in the site Glasgow Guide is copyright of the Glasgow Guide Organisation. This material is for your own private use only, and no part of the site may be reproduced, amended, modified, copied, or transmitted to third parties, by any means whatsoever without the prior written permission of the copyright owner. All rights reserved.

Glasgow Hotels: book cheap hotels in Glasgow online now.