Glasgow Guide Home

Whats On Glasgow Guide
  Glasgow What's On

Glasgow Reviews

Glasgow Gallery

Glasgow Links
Discuss | Guestbook | Postcard | News | Weather | Feedback | Search | About | What's New
Glasgow Guide Discussion Boards

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )                >> View Today's Topics <<

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Criminal Records Glasgow, Arrests and imprisonment during orange marches in Glasgow
smith800
post 18th Aug 2017, 11:43am
Post #1

Unpacking
Member No.: 10,307
Many glaswegians were arrested in glasgow during the orangemen marching season from the 1870s through to the early 1900s and charged with fighting and causing a breach of the peace with the intent to disrupt the marches .I have heard from historians that as many as 2,000 were charged over a ten year period. and placed in barlinnie and other glasgow prisons where in glasgow would records exist other than making a 1,000 mile round journey to the mitchell library to determine the names of those charged and imprisoned .any assistance in this research would be greatly appreciated smith800
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
cathy52
post 19th Aug 2017, 09:39am
Post #2

Super Resident
Member No.: 11,625
You should give the Mitchell a phone maybe they would look for you, don't know if they would charge you for doing it .good luck.

+Quote Post
mlconnelly
post 21st Aug 2017, 08:56pm
Post #3

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 9,809
The only place I can think of other than newspaper reports at the Mitchell Library, is the Nation Archive for Scotland in Edinburgh which holds the records you may be looking for. As far as I'm aware they don't do individual searches but they might have some info online that will help. Good luck.
Mary

+Quote Post
carmella
post 24th Aug 2017, 03:57pm
Post #4

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 58
I agree with the others. I have researched many times at the Mitchell, it is a wonderful source.

If you can go in person it is better, if not write and explain or ask for photo copies from the Glasgow Herald Index, (an invaluable source) they also have an Archive section with readers. The Record Office in Edinburgh is another source, but if it's to do with Glasgow you'll more or less find what you need under one roof, and the staff are helpful.

Archives
Level 5, The Mitchell Library, North Street, Glasgow G3 7DN
0141 287 2910
archives@glasgowlife.org.uk

--------------------
Silence is a true friend who never betrays.

Confucius - Chinese Philosopher - [551bc-479bc]

+Quote Post

Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th Sep 2017

All material in the site Glasgow Guide is copyright of the Glasgow Guide Organisation. This material is for your own private use only, and no part of the site may be reproduced, amended, modified, copied, or transmitted to third parties, by any means whatsoever without the prior written permission of the copyright owner. All rights reserved.

Glasgow Hotels: book cheap hotels in Glasgow online now.