Glasgow Guide Home

Whats On Glasgow Guide
  Glasgow What's On

Glasgow Reviews

Glasgow Gallery

Glasgow Links
Discuss | Guestbook | Postcard | News | Weather | Feedback | Search | About | What's New
Glasgow Guide Discussion Boards

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )                >> View Today's Topics <<

4 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Italian Immigrants
WeeJean
post 22nd May 2007, 10:12pm
Post #1

Visitor
Member No.: 4,792
I'm not sure if I'm posting this in the correct place
I'm going back a bit in time now, my grandparents came from Italy to London about 1884 and then came to Glasgow about 1892. My dad was brought up in Glasgow. I think, but I'm not sure, they lived in the Gorbals at that time. (Hutcheston area?) My grandfather was an ice cream vendour/confectioner but that's all the information I know from his death certificate. Does anyone know if there are any records relating to the 'traders' from that time. I would dearly like to know about life at that time in Glasgow.

Wee Jean
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Anne1
post 22nd May 2007, 10:14pm
Post #2

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 4,001
welcome wee jean to the boards Im not much help but am sure someone on here will be able to point you in the right direction

--------------------
ANNWAN

+Quote Post
Heather
post 22nd May 2007, 10:29pm
Post #3

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 664
Jean, I think your best bet is to try the Mitchell Library. Click on 'Subject Search ' then click on 'Italians ', that takes you into ice cream vendors.

www.mitchelllibrary.org/

--------------------
Heather.......I'm tartan. Alba gu Brath. Saor Alba

+Quote Post
stuarty
post 22nd May 2007, 11:11pm
Post #4

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 1,972
wee jean you can go into glasgow districts in this site from one end of glasgow to the other and beyond sometimes happy hunting

--------------------
gie me a wee minite

+Quote Post
WeeJean
post 23rd May 2007, 10:46am
Post #5

Visitor
Thank you Anne1, Heather and Stuarty for your quick response I'm off to search the Mitchell library site right now. smile.gif Unfortunately I live the other side of Scotland - and I know Glasgow is only 2 hours away but its difficult for me to travel. Thank goodness for the computer, I only wish IT wid dae whit it wis telt rolleyes.gif
Wee Jean

+Quote Post
jaybee
post 23rd May 2007, 11:23am
Post #6

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 1,800
Wee Jean, there were many Italian Ice Cream Cafes in that area. One I do remember was run by a lovely pair of sisters. The husband Joe died young and the sisters kept the place going. The cafe was next to the United Free Church on Crown Street, almost at the corner of Kidston Street. That was in the Hutchesontown area. Crown St. was split, one side being the Gorbals and the other Hutchesontown (sp?).

+Quote Post
WeeJean
post 24th May 2007, 12:32pm
Post #7

Visitor
Thank you for that information jaybee. I dont think they are related in any way. My grandfather's name was Giovanni Defilippis and the other person that could have worked with him was Felice Siravo but this was in 1892-1895. (Felice Siravo could still have been there in the early 1900's. Their home address at that time was South Wellington Street, I have found out the name of that street was changed to Lawmoor Street. But I believe that this is the same area as you mentioned. I really dont know if they had a shop or if they just went door to door with an icecream cart but the fact that confectioner was mentioned as well as icecream vendour made me feel it was more likely to be a shop. How I wish there had been some photographs but sadly I dont have any.
Thanks again
Wee Jean

+Quote Post
jaybee
post 24th May 2007, 12:48pm
Post #8

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 1,800
Wee Jean, I was born on Lawmoor Street and yes, it is the same district. I am sure Joe was not his name but an anglified version of his Italian name. Could have been a son or grandson of Giovanni. They were on Crown Street during 40s and 50s, perhaps even the 60s. Good luck with your search. Jaybee

+Quote Post
WeeJean
post 24th May 2007, 10:24pm
Post #9

Visitor
Thanks for the reply Jaybee
I have traced all my dad's brothers and half sisters but they were not in the icecream/confectioner trade. My dad would have lived in Lawmoor Street around 1910. The other address mentioned was Rose Street, this is where my grandmother died 1913. so I'm really going back a bit in time here. When I was young(about 1948) I remember visiting a cousin who lived in Rose Street. It was a tenament building and they all shared a drying green and I do remember their house was on the ground floor. When I think about it, I'm sure I should have a photograph taken when I was there. Must go and have a look through the old photographs.
You never know maybe our relations knew one another.
Gets more and more interesting doesn't it!
Wee Jean
ps bye the the family name was eventually changed to D'Phillips.

+Quote Post
Heather
post 24th May 2007, 10:42pm
Post #10

Mega City Key Holder
Jean, there were a few Italians lived around Rose Street in the Garnethill area. I went to school with a few. But do remember any D'Philips.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Paul Kelly
post 25th May 2007, 07:24am
Post #11

Super Lord Provost
Member No.: 2,956
Hi Jean.

Crown Street, Hutchesontown, Gorbals still exists. There used to be a street to the immediate east of Crown Street called Rose Street.
Rose Street ran parallel to Crown Street. In fact, from the River Clyde down to Cumberland Street, the street was known as Rose Street. South of Cumberland Street, the street was known as Florence Street. At some point in the mid 20th century the whole of Rose Street/Florence Street became known as Florence Street. Florence Street was the birth place of boxer Benny Lynch.

Lawmoor Street used to be known as South Wellington Street and was a few streets to the east of Rose Street/Florence Street. Starting from the west, the main streets of Hutchesontown, Gorbals were Hospital Street, Thistle Street, Crown Street, Rose Street/Florence Street, South Shamrock Street/Camden Street, Commercial Road/Naburn Street, South Wellington Street, Mathieson Street, Waddell Street/Sandyfaulds Street, South York Street (now called Moffat Street) and McNeil Street.

If you zoom in on sheet VI.15.6 and the neighbouring sheets of the map below you will see these streets in 1894.

http://www.nls.uk/maps/townplans/glasgow_2.html

See posts #53, #58 and #59 of the topic 'Common Irish Surnames In Scotland' in the Family History forum for further discussion of the Gorbals.

Paul

--------------------
From every mountainside, let freedom ring. Martin Luther King

+Quote Post
Heather
post 25th May 2007, 12:46pm
Post #12

Mega City Key Holder
I was not aware there was a Rose Street in the Gorbals. The Rose Street I referred to is off Cambridge Street in the Garnethill area.

My previous post should have said. I don't remember any D'Phillips at school.

--------------------

+Quote Post
WeeJean
post 25th May 2007, 03:51pm
Post #13

Visitor
Heather, When I visited Rose Street back in the 1948 (Approx.) My cousin who lived there was married to a McKnight right now I cant find the number of the house they lived in,as I said I do know they lived on the bottom floor. Does McKnight ring any bells? Was Rose Street near the Gorbals? maybe I just presumed these addresses I had were all int the Gorbals area. I see in Paul's post the Rose Street became Florence Street are we still talking about the same Rose Street Heather or is there another one?
Wee Jean

Paul,
Many thanks for the information and that link, it was very helpful and interesting
Wee Jean

+Quote Post
Heather
post 25th May 2007, 04:53pm
Post #14

Mega City Key Holder
Jean I don't recognise the name. I was still at school when we moved away from the Cowcaddens.

--------------------

+Quote Post
stratson
post 25th May 2007, 08:05pm
Post #15

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 1,660
Rose street was off Sauchiehall st. Think St Aloysius is there. Used to e a picture house in Rose st, called the Cosmo, they showed french and Italian movies.
Many years ago the bottom part of Florence St. in the Gorbals was Rose ST. Even before my time. ohmy.gif
Jean, what was you g/father's name, may be able to help you as have italian friends in Govanhill whose g/parents came to Glasgow at that time too.. smile.gif

--------------------
"WELCOME TO MY WORLD"

+Quote Post

4 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 14th Oct 2019

All material in the site Glasgow Guide is copyright of the Glasgow Guide Organisation. This material is for your own private use only, and no part of the site may be reproduced, amended, modified, copied, or transmitted to third parties, by any means whatsoever without the prior written permission of the copyright owner. All rights reserved.

Glasgow Hotels: book cheap hotels in Glasgow online now.