Glasgow Guide Home

Whats On Glasgow Guide
  Glasgow What's On

Glasgow Reviews

Glasgow Gallery

Glasgow Links
Discuss | Guestbook | Postcard | News | Weather | Feedback | Search | About | What's New
Glasgow Guide Discussion Boards

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )                >> View Today's Topics <<

1454 Pages V  « < 5 6 7 8 9 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Scottish Independence, About voting yes/no
Rating 4 V
*Jimmiboay*
post 8th Feb 2013, 09:36am
Post #91

I was never confident that Scotland would ever cut it's ties with the English lords of our small destiny. There are too many chattels being carried on the backs of Scots and their history to ever be independent. Is there a place for the Germanic royal succession ? Will Scots be lumbered with Loopy king Charlies and queen Camillias for the rest of eternity? And will we be confident in the defence of Scotland when the British army is no longer calling for the Scots to go and fight in Iraq or Afghanistan or Timbuktu to uphold our national pride. What industries will Scotland have left to send down south in the name of efficiency. And will the scattered migrants return en masse to rediscover the riches that the Westminster government has set in store to repay for that which has been sent packing for the greater prosperity of the "Kingdom" of Great England.

Keep in mind that the act of union abolished the name "Scotland" as Burns put it ("Fareweel e'in' tae oor Scotish name") and replaced it with "North Britain" .
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
thurso01
post 9th Feb 2013, 12:10am
Post #92

Unpacking
Member No.: 18,339
Does anyone here really think that Salmond wanting us to stay in the european Union will benefit us in Scotland?

Does anyone think that they (the E.U.) will have our best interests at heart.

Where is the Independence in Europe? We will be merely throwing off the shackles of English Rule only to be shackled to European Rule. Just cutting out the middleman.

It will not happen. Salmond is selling us down the river, he does not believe in independence or why does he want to shackle us to the E.U. ?

Germany has taken over Europe without firing a shot.

+Quote Post
tamhickey
post 9th Feb 2013, 10:15am
Post #93

City Key Holder
Member No.: 2,833
it's not up to Alex Salmond or the SNP as to whether or not we remain in the EU. It is a matter for the Scottish people to decide post independence. Not everyone who supports independence are followers of the SNP.

+Quote Post
wee davy
post 9th Feb 2013, 01:19pm
Post #94

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 7,956
Its really quite frightening the numbers of people think that, tam.
Nevertheless, in fact independence supporters come from ALL walks of life
I watched a Pakistani (born) man animatedly tell us on TV how proud he was to be a Glaswegian, and how most certainly he was voting YES.
AND Pakistan would too, if the they had a vote LOL

--------------------
adversus solem ne loquitor

+Quote Post
serabash
post 9th Feb 2013, 01:27pm
Post #95

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 9,438
yes I agree it seems incredible that folk still believe that, though it might be because the no voters keep trying to scare folk with untruths about independence. just a thought.

+Quote Post
wee davy
post 9th Feb 2013, 01:39pm
Post #96

Mega City Key Holder
After 700 years of subjugation (on and off), we shouldn't be.
But this is 2013. The world is a different place. London (announcement of Queen Mary II being docked at end of service, for the purposes of tourism etc) has wrung Scotland drier than the Gobi Desert.

--------------------

+Quote Post
JAGZ1876
post 9th Feb 2013, 03:17pm
Post #97

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 10,964
QUOTE (thurso01 @ 9th Feb 2013, 12:27am) *
Does anyone here really think that Salmond wanting us to stay in the european Union will benefit us in Scotland?

Does anyone think that they (the E.U.) will have our best interests at heart.

Where is the Independence in Europe? We will be merely throwing off the shackles of English Rule only to be shackled to European Rule. Just cutting out the middleman.

It will not happen. Salmond is selling us down the river, he does not believe in independence or why does he want to shackle us to the E.U. ?

Germany has taken over Europe without firing a shot.

Welcome to GG thurso01, always nice to hear the opinions of new members regardless of their views.

Your views on remaining in the EU are valid, you are however falling into a trap perpetuated by the unionist NO campaign and media that somehow the independence campaign is a one man or even one party show as others have pointed out.

Being new to this forum i would recommend that you read back previous posts on the three independence threads on GG and you will find most of the points you have raised have been covered, like "throwing of the shackles of English rule only to be shackled to European rule", if that were true then we are already "shackled to European rule", the point of independence being that Scots will be putting the interests of Scotland first in the EU, unlike the status quo where the interests of Westminster are first and foremost.

As for your "Salmond is selling us down the river", the Scots were sold down the river 306 years ago and we have been paying for it not just in financial terms but in the blood of our brave young men from then until the present day, those are just two examples of what the EU will not be able to do to an independent Scotland, take our income from our resources and hand us back our pocket money, nor will they be ordering our defence forces into conflicts in other countries for the benefit of other States.

Once again welcome thurso01,

+Quote Post
DannyH
post 10th Feb 2013, 12:33am
Post #98

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 8,412
Hello All

I have recently been involved in reseaching my family history, and as a result of that it made me start wondering if the Scots living in Scotland today who are direct decendants of the Scots who were living in Scotland at the time of the Union of the Crowns, are actually in a minority? In brief, the fate of Scotland will actually be decided by decendants of immigrants to Scotland since then?

In researching my family history, my great Grandparents were born and married in Ireland. They like hundreds of thousands of Irish came over and populatated the Central belt. Up North the 'real' Scots were being shipped off to Canada to make way for sheep. Since the 1950's the Asian population has grown steadily and thousands of them will be eligible to vote in the forthcoming Independence election. They have every right to do so, but with the passage of time, say 100 years from now, they might be the majority, just like the descendants of those who came over with my Grandparents .

Just a thought that crossed my mind.

Regards to All

Danny Harris

+Quote Post
Ossie
post 10th Feb 2013, 05:10am
Post #99

Resident
Member No.: 16,056
QUOTE (serabash @ 9th Feb 2013, 01:44pm) *
yes I agree it seems incredible that folk still believe that, though it might be because the no voters keep trying to scare folk with untruths about independence. just a thought.

Might ?.... Their their whole case , ( or more precisely lack of one ) is based on it .

Ossie .

+Quote Post
Melody
post 10th Feb 2013, 11:20am
Post #100

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 235
The more the UK protest about separation the more determined the yes vote should be. Ask yourself, ' If they think we are a bunch of work shy welfare dependant individuals up here why do they want to hang on to us?'

+Quote Post
JAGZ1876
post 10th Feb 2013, 11:47am
Post #101

Mega City Key Holder
QUOTE (DannyH @ 10th Feb 2013, 12:50am) *
Hello All

I have recently been involved in reseaching my family history, and as a result of that it made me start wondering if the Scots living in Scotland today who are direct decendants of the Scots who were living in Scotland at the time of the Union of the Crowns, are actually in a minority? In brief, the fate of Scotland will actually be decided by decendants of immigrants to Scotland since then?

In researching my family history, my great Grandparents were born and married in Ireland. They like hundreds of thousands of Irish came over and populatated the Central belt. Up North the 'real' Scots were being shipped off to Canada to make way for sheep. Since the 1950's the Asian population has grown steadily and thousands of them will be eligible to vote in the forthcoming Independence election. They have every right to do so, but with the passage of time, say 100 years from now, they might be the majority, just like the descendants of those who came over with my Grandparents .

Just a thought that crossed my mind.

Regards to All

Danny Harris

I don't have any facts as i haven't researched the subject Danny, but i would have thought the majority of living Scots would be descended from Scots living around the time of the Union of the Crowns (1603) and i would dispute your claim that the majority of the population are of Irish decent.

I have traced both sides of my family tree back to the mid 1600's and my surname originates from the Central belt where West Lothian is now, but it matters not where anyone originally comes from, there could be someone living in Nigeria at this moment who will move here next week and will be eligible to vote, that's the way democracy works.

I doubt the if USA worry about their elections being decided by the descendants of immigrants laugh.gif

+Quote Post
thurso01
post 10th Feb 2013, 03:56pm
Post #102

Unpacking
Member No.: 18,339
QUOTE (JAGZ1876 @ 9th Feb 2013, 03:34pm) *
Welcome to GG thurso01, always nice to hear the opinions of new members regardless of their views.

Your views on remaining in the EU are valid, you are however falling into a trap perpetuated by the unionist NO campaign and media that somehow the independence campaign is a one man or even one party show as others have pointed out.

Being new to this forum i would recommend that you read back previous posts on the three independence threads on GG and you will find most of the points you have raised have been covered, like "throwing of the shackles of English rule only to be shackled to European rule", if that were true then we are already "shackled to European rule", the point of independence being that Scots will be putting the interests of Scotland first in the EU, unlike the status quo where the interests of Westminster are first and foremost.

As for your "Salmond is selling us down the river", the Scots were sold down the river 306 years ago and we have been paying for it not just in financial terms but in the blood of our brave young men from then until the present day, those are just two examples of what the EU will not be able to do to an independent Scotland, take our income from our resources and hand us back our pocket money, nor will they be ordering our defence forces into conflicts in other countries for the benefit of other States.

Once again welcome thurso01,

Thanks for your welcome JAGZ 1876. I am a yes voter all the way. I am still of the opinion that Salmond is selling us down the river by his wanting to be a member state of the E.U.

There is too much emphasis being placed on this issue and detracting from the main issue of Scottish Independence, thereby playing into the hands of the no vote.

Salmond should concentrate on first getting our (Scottish) Independence and Then put it to a vote if we the people of Scotland want to be Shacled to the E.U.

+Quote Post
JAGZ1876
post 10th Feb 2013, 04:49pm
Post #103

Mega City Key Holder
Hi Thurso01, i'm delighted to hear that you are in the yes camp, and yes we are being forced to discuss too many issues being raised by the Tory led No campaign, but like it or lump it we are forced to address the issues raised.

I am not convinced an independent Scotland will benefit from being part of the EU either, but the SNP are just putting forward their view of how they will deal with the EU, other parties will have their own views post independence, and if one of them offer a referendum on withdrawing from the EU then that will be the time to weigh up the pros and cons of EU membership.

I'm sure the FM would love to concentrate on delivering Scottish self determination by dissolving the union, but if he doesn't address the red herrings and the scare stories thrown at him he is accused of dodging the issue's............Damned if he does, damned if he doesn't.

I look forward to reading your views on all the GG threads Thurso01.

Vote YES next year thumbup.gif

+Quote Post
wee davy
post 10th Feb 2013, 06:58pm
Post #104

Mega City Key Holder
I have traced both sides of my family tree back to the mid 1600's and my surname originates from the Central belt where West Lothian is now
jagz

I have traced my mothers side, back to the 45 Rebellions, (as most living of Scottish descendency can do), then there's a bit of a gap - back to the 800's!!
(Which not many people can boast of)

Its so very important to realise that those who will be voting next year, WILL be the Scots of Today - but more crucially, the Scots of tomorrow.
You carry a great responsibility before you - and whatever the result is, I wish you Peace and Prosperity.

--------------------

+Quote Post
JAGZ1876
post 10th Feb 2013, 07:39pm
Post #105

Mega City Key Holder
What do you mean traced back to the 45 rebellion..........i heard you were Bonnie Prince Charlie's valet, wi yer wee powdered wig laugh.gif

+Quote Post

1454 Pages V  « < 5 6 7 8 9 > » 
Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th Jan 2020

All material in the site Glasgow Guide is copyright of the Glasgow Guide Organisation. This material is for your own private use only, and no part of the site may be reproduced, amended, modified, copied, or transmitted to third parties, by any means whatsoever without the prior written permission of the copyright owner. All rights reserved.

Glasgow Hotels: book cheap hotels in Glasgow online now.