Glasgow Guide Home

Whats On Glasgow Guide
  Glasgow What's On

Glasgow Reviews

Glasgow Gallery

Glasgow Links
Discuss | Guestbook | Postcard | News | Weather | Feedback | Search | About | What's New
Glasgow Guide Discussion Boards

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )                >> View Today's Topics <<

3 Pages V  < 1 2 3  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Old Gorbals, Street names
norrie123
post 14th Oct 2008, 12:10pm
Post #31

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 2,552
Hi julz, OK thats me home from Spain.
I have had a quick look, The Crown Cinema was on the same side of the road, its number was 163, so I will have a look at the maps I have and see where 145 was, then I will check if I have a photo of the tenemenet.
I may have to go to The Mitchell Library to check out some addresses.
Keep me in mind of this.
Bye for now, Norrie

Hi Murn? Nippy? thanks for pointing Julz in my direction
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
norrie123
post 14th Oct 2008, 12:50pm
Post #32

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 2,552
Hi julz, OK, I have checked my photos and maps.
I think the house you are looking for, was between Balatter st and Rutherglen rd
I have photos of Crown St but cant be sure of your house being on them.
However I do have an arial shot of Gorbals and that and the maps show that there were houses at that part of Crown st , any use to you?
Bye for now, norrie

+Quote Post
*Guest george **
post 7th Dec 2008, 02:28am
Post #33

ma wifes granda wis called umy he was jewish and he was a tick tacker at the dog tracks he had a big family stayed in hospital street called davis..he was killed and robbed the roumour goes it was because he always had money on him from the track..

+Quote Post
*pat wilband*
post 13th Jan 2009, 12:32am
Post #34

Hi , I`m writing from Canada -- trying to find anyone who knows of the Mulheron family who lived at 56 Johns street in Glasgow around the 1st war . James was a baker who may have worked at the Uccb that was mentioned before . He moved to canada and lived in St John New Brunswick . Joined the Princess Patricia Canadian Light Infantry and died in France (tilloy ) in 1918 .Can anyone help me ?

+Quote Post
seamus1954
post 7th Aug 2012, 12:43am
Post #35

Lord Provost
Member No.: 13,082
Old Gorbals , Hello everyone I would like to add my name and chime in to this topic .My Granmom Mary Long lived at 428 Rutherglen road and was a Confectioner , Although I am not sure where she worked ,She left Glasgow in 1925 at the age of 17 ,and Emmigrated to Phila Pa USA {Thank God because I would NOT be here if She didn't } so if she worked at the closest place I'm assuming it moght be the UNCOPB at MCNeil street ,it being the closest Although I'll never know for certain the Building looked impressive If anyone had anyone who knew Mary Long 17 in 1925 she was very tiny a WEE lass 4'8 it is dead end A Long shot at best BUT just maybe ????????? Sincerely Seamus

+Quote Post
phil
post 18th Sep 2012, 05:54pm
Post #36

Unpacking
Member No.: 10,696
hi marina,i remember a victor mulligan from kidson street,in 1952 he worked in pooles the butchers in cathcart rd,i worked in the co-op butchers also in cathcart rd,george glen,cuthbertson,and jamesie carr,we all went to the couper institute dancing,vic had a pink suit with a black velvet collar. phil.

+Quote Post
Doug1
post 18th Sep 2012, 07:41pm
Post #37

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 12,899
A wee bit off topic because I cant remember the street but when i was a young fella in the late 50's to early 60's i was taught drumming by a drum teacher in the Gorbals. His name was Lester Penman and he was a very famous musician who had played at the London Palladium. He was also a good friend of one of the greatest drummers of all times the legendary American Gene Krupa. I remember his flat was on the top storey and was huge with one room devoted to his drum teaching. I think his street ran parallel to Eglinton Street and I think there was a big cinema nearby where i got off either the tram or bus, cant remember which, but I do remember his flat was just a short walk away. Sorry for rambling on but it was a very happy time for me.

--------------------
ave got my opinion as well

+Quote Post
stratson
post 10th Nov 2012, 09:05am
Post #38

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 1,660
QUOTE (Doug1 @ 18th Sep 2012, 08:58pm) *
A wee bit off topic because I cant remember the street but when i was a young fella in the late 50's to early 60's i was taught drumming by a drum teacher in the Gorbals. His name was Lester Penman and he was a very famous musician who had played at the London Palladium. He was also a good friend of one of the greatest drummers of all times the legendary American Gene Krupa. I remember his flat was on the top storey and was huge with one room devoted to his drum teaching. I think his street ran parallel to Eglinton Street and I think there was a big cinema nearby where i got off either the tram or bus, cant remember which, but I do remember his flat was just a short walk away. Sorry for rambling on but it was a very happy time for me.

I seem to recall Penman family.from the 50's, don't know if the one you refer too.

They came from Abbotsford Place, it runs parallel with Eglinton Street, unsure.gif

--------------------
"WELCOME TO MY WORLD"

+Quote Post
*Lynne lees*
post 2nd Mar 2014, 01:16pm
Post #39

Hi everyone i just thought id invite you all to a great facebook page called OLD GORBALS PICTURES... nearly 3500 members its brilliant :-) also my Grandad worked in McNeil street UCBS..he was called Peter Taylor, he worked in the board wash i think :-)

+Quote Post
Doug1
post 23rd Sep 2014, 05:39pm
Post #40

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 12,899
QUOTE (stratson @ 10th Nov 2012, 10:22am) *
I seem to recall Penman family.from the 50's, don't know if the one you refer too.

They came from Abbotsford Place, it runs parallel with Eglinton Street, unsure.gif

Hi Stratson

Funny old life but I was trolling through google earlier today looking for some info and was linked to one of my earlier GG posts to do with my old drum teacher Lester Penman. I then noticed you replied to my post but I it appears I didnt reply to you

The Penman I was taught by did live in Abbotsford Place in a very big flat which I think on the top floor as I recall. I have however no knowledge about Lesters family, in fact I dont remember ever meeting any of his family.

--------------------
ave got my opinion as well

+Quote Post
CAT
post 25th Sep 2014, 10:09am
Post #41

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 5,390
Does anyone remember McKay's a sweetie factory? My Mother worked there from when she left school at 14 around 1936 and was there for around 15 years. She loved it. She mentioned this last night and said it was a great job making hand made sweets.

+Quote Post
*frank geary*
post 25th Nov 2019, 04:12pm
Post #42

Nice to see the mention of Lester Pennman in your pages. my Dad was taught by him way back and went on to be a World Champion dance band drummer.I am inamodel railway club in Glasgow and one of our members was also taught by Mr. Pennman , who was a bit strict going by some of the stories my Dad told me of him , but it seems to have worked. Sadly ,I have lost the photo I had of Lester.

+Quote Post

3 Pages V  < 1 2 3
Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 12th Dec 2019

All material in the site Glasgow Guide is copyright of the Glasgow Guide Organisation. This material is for your own private use only, and no part of the site may be reproduced, amended, modified, copied, or transmitted to third parties, by any means whatsoever without the prior written permission of the copyright owner. All rights reserved.

Glasgow Hotels: book cheap hotels in Glasgow online now.