Glasgow Guide Home

Whats On Glasgow Guide
  Glasgow What's On

Glasgow Reviews

Glasgow Gallery

Glasgow Links
Discuss | Guestbook | Postcard | News | Weather | Feedback | Search | About | What's New
Glasgow Guide Discussion Boards

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )                >> View Today's Topics <<

4 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> The Tent Hall
MissT
post 5th Jul 2007, 11:38pm
Post #1

Super Visitor
Member No.: 2,318
I went to the Tent Hall in the Saltmarket I think it was,near to the Glsgow green. I was in my early teens then and attended the services with other teens.. Rab, Douglas, Jinty, were just a few.. There was Ron Chalmers who was a youth leader and I think he was also a policeman. A couple who used to be missionaries in the congo Mgt and Bill Gilvear. I wonder if anyone else remembers that church..
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
toerag
post 6th Jul 2007, 01:02am
Post #2

Super City Key Holder
Member No.: 167
Dont remember that, but did go to the Band of Hope in Springburm anyone else go there???

+Quote Post
*sheilz*
post 23rd Jul 2007, 09:26pm
Post #3

no, but i went ot the calvary temple i think it was called in spering burn now and again on a sat night. and i did go to the tent hall now and again on a sat night great ministry

i also went ot drumchapel bapt as a placement from bti and we stayed there a couple or so years as member s and lived in the drum.... its a great fellowship.

+Quote Post
*Eleanor Pullen*
post 25th Oct 2008, 11:15pm
Post #4

QUOTE (MissT @ 6th Jul 2007, 12:42am) *
I went to the Tent Hall in the Saltmarket I think it was,near to the Glsgow green. I was in my early teens then and attended the services with other teens.. Rab, Douglas, Jinty, were just a few.. There was Ron Chalmers who was a youth leader and I think he was also a policeman. A couple who used to be missionaries in the congo Mgt and Bill Gilvear. I wonder if anyone else remembers that church..

My Uncle Bill Gilvear and Aunt Margaret are alive and well and living in Denny Stirlingshire their son Billy is now preaching .My Uncle William as i call him wrote a book about his life if you would like to read it called Rough Diamond I know he talks about his days in the Tent hall and the Congo...I will pass on the word that someone is asking after them...I am his neice and i live in the States...All the best Eleanor Pullen

+Quote Post
*Bobby Stevenson*
post 28th Feb 2009, 06:06pm
Post #5

My sister who now lives in Torquay, Australia was a regular attender at the Tent Hall in Glasgow.
The Superintendent at that time was John Moore who wrote many gospel songs. The Tent Hall was part of the GUEA along with the Bethany Hall and the Bible Training Institute(BTI). I think, but I'm not sure, that The Seamen's Bethel was also part of the same organisation.

+Quote Post
Boydy
post 3rd Mar 2009, 03:37pm
Post #6

Super Resident
Member No.: 5,730
Eleanor I saw Margaret speak at Priesthill Guild's Easter service shortly before her Mum passed away.Jessie was a real character still missed at our church I had the priveledge of knowing her for 14 years.I know her son Tommy as well.I have read Bill's book

--------------------
www.youtube.com/watch?v=m8K8kbtat0I

+Quote Post
TeeHeeHee
post 3rd Mar 2009, 03:46pm
Post #7

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 6,448
I'm trying to think what it was called. a "Revalist Meeting" or a "Redemptionist Meeting"
But my older brother and his mate went to the "Tent Hall" to hear Dr. Billy Graham hold his famous sermon there.
Must have been late 50s early 60s.
We lay in bed that night while my brother related the sermon almost verbatim to me.

--------------------
Wait a minute ... I've got my eye on a burd.

... Some try to tell me thoughts they cannot defend ...

+Quote Post
**dehedger4**
post 28th Jul 2009, 07:37pm
Post #8

QUOTE (TeeHeeHee @ 3rd Mar 2009, 04:03pm) *
I'm trying to think what it was called. a "Revalist Meeting" or a "Redemptionist Meeting"
But my older brother and his mate went to the "Tent Hall" to hear Dr. Billy Graham hold his famous sermon there.
Must have been late 50s early 60s.
We lay in bed that night while my brother related the sermon almost verbatim to me.

My father attended the tent all all his life and met Billy Graham after WW2. I thought he had gone to London to hear him speak but it may very well have been at the tent hall. In any event, he went on to attend Bible college in the States (NorthWestern College where Billy was the President) and stayed after meeting my mother. He played the Piano for years at the Tent Hall and would bring us there when we would visit as children.

+Quote Post
**dehedger4**
post 28th Jul 2009, 07:43pm
Post #9

QUOTE (Eleanor Pullen @ 25th Oct 2008, 11:32pm) *
My Uncle Bill Gilvear and Aunt Margaret are alive and well and living in Denny Stirlingshire their son Billy is now preaching .My Uncle William as i call him wrote a book about his life if you would like to read it called Rough Diamond I know he talks about his days in the Tent hall and the Congo...I will pass on the word that someone is asking after them...I am his neice and i live in the States...All the best Eleanor Pullen

Some one stated they knew a Ron Chalmer's who was also a friend of our families but we have lost touch with them. Last I heard from them was in 1980. We went to visit them in their home in Glasgow after our father had died in 1979 from heart failure. My father played piano at the Tent Hall for years. He came from a large family (Harrison) in Glasgow.

+Quote Post
**dehedger4**
post 28th Jul 2009, 07:47pm
Post #10

QUOTE (MissT @ 5th Jul 2007, 11:55pm) *

Mr. Chalmer's was a police man. His eldest son (also Ronald) went on to attend Whitney College of the Bible in N. Ireland under the direction of Ian Paisley. I lost contact with that family after that point. There was also a man named Jock Troupe (spelling?) who was a close friend of our family as well I believe he had a big impact on the Tent Hall as well.

+Quote Post
sandhaven96
post 2nd Oct 2009, 07:15am
Post #11

Unpacking
Member No.: 7,507
I remember the Tent Hall so well-I was married there in 1962. Rev Peter Donald conducted the service-he was minister of Harper Memorial Baptist Church at the time and the current superintendent was on holiday (John M Moore). I saw him (Peter Donald) recently being interviewed on Phil Cunninghams "Scotlands Music" Series on BBC TV. The pianists during my years there were Mary Peters (nee Murdoch)-she was married to Stanley Peters who was choir master of the "Junior" Chior and then the "Senior" Choir. Pearl Pattison played the piano for a number of years as did Tom Gray and of course Bob Christie who played the Hammond organ with great aplomb and skill.
During the 70's Andy Carter,(Does anyone know where he is?), the late Bob McFaulds and I produced a slide presentation called "The Tent Hall Story" which was a 70 minute piece telling the story of the old place. We even managed to get a recording of the late Jock Troup preaching!. It was a well presented piece of history with music and narration. Unfortunately I have lost touch with Andy (last heard of in Newton Mearns around 1980) but remembering what he was like I am quite sure he still has the original presentation which I would love to see again.

We also produced a radio programme called "Tent Hall Time" which was heard weekly on "Manx Radio" for a considerable time. I recall David McNee ( To become Chief Constable of Strathclyde Police and Commisioner of the Metropolitan Police) being our guest on a couple of occasions and I recall a young lady with a beutiful soprano voice called Jeanette Galloway.

I attended the Tent Hall for many years from my early teens and probably before that . I recall very clearly in the late 40's or very early 50's standing in Steel Street at the front of the building when a taxi drew up and out jumped a very young Billy Graham accompanied by Cliff Barrows carrying a very shiny trombone. The thing that sticks in my mind about that encounter was the very bright and colourful suits that they wore. They both seemed to "glow" against the background of the dark tenements which at that time dominated Steel Street. #

I think Jimmy Haxton was the superintendent at this time -I remember Pastor Bell,Jim Hogg, Stanley Collins and a young man whose name escapes me who regularly appeared with trousers in the colours of the British Flag !! He certainly brightened the place with his personality and dress sense!!!
I remember Arthur Blessitt's visit and will never forgot the visit of Gladys Aylward and whose preaching will always be in my memory. She was such a small lady but what a powerful story she had to tell - and as I recall they had to find her a box to stand on so that she could be seen and heard by the congregation.

I recall many of the friends there- Ron and Ruth Chalmers, Sydney and Jenny Elliot and their families and many others -too many to mention here. If anybody can give me any information about any of them I would be pleased to hear from you..

I kept in touch with Bob Christie over the years (Xmas Cards etc) but these stopped a couple of years ago.

I am now living in Sandbank in Argyll and would love to hear from anyone with Tent Hall memories or connections. I have no objection to anyone contacting me at my persopnal EMail address which is
arthurmiller@btinternet.com

+Quote Post
martin_glasgow
post 2nd Oct 2009, 08:49am
Post #12

Super Visitor
Member No.: 1,297
Attached Image

The Old Tent Hall.....Saltmarket...

+Quote Post
Cash-Ma-Giro
post 21st Oct 2009, 07:49pm
Post #13

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 2,023
Aaaah, the old Tent Hall. I used to go there on my own when I was 16 to 18. I used to sit up on the balcony on the right side and watch all the girls sitting opposite me. biggrin.gif
I remember the big hands of William Barkley holding on to the sides of the podium as he leaned slightly forward to speak.

Then there were the poor old down and out's sitting unseen below the curve of the blacony.
William B. would be giving it his all and when something hit a chord with those poor folks down below, you would here them shouting in agreement, ...Haaaalleluah, Praaaaise the Lord, Aaaaamen.

Good to see your photo martin_glasgow, thank you for the memory.

Never plucked up the courage to speak to those wee crackers sitting opposite me. rolleyes.gif
Innocent, innocent days.

--------------------
Remember, just above those clouds,
the sun is always shining.

+Quote Post
*Janet Houstoun*
post 8th Jan 2010, 08:51pm
Post #14

QUOTE (Eleanor Pullen @ 25th Oct 2008, 11:13pm) *

+Quote Post
*Janet Houstoun*
post 8th Jan 2010, 08:56pm
Post #15

Hi,
My family went to Tent Hall for many years when we were growing up. My brothers Robert and Andrew were in the Junior Choir under John clark. I remember helping at the free breakfast and the Christmas party for the poor children when I was only a teenager. The Tent Hall was great and my grandfather and aunts all sang in the Senior Choir. My father was Jimmy Houstoun and my grandfather was Andy Aitken. I have many happy memories helping of Mr Haswell in the kitchen and spending many Saturday evenings and Sundays at Tent Hall.
Does anyone else remember them?
Janet Houstoun

+Quote Post

4 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 22nd Jul 2017

All material in the site Glasgow Guide is copyright of the Glasgow Guide Organisation. This material is for your own private use only, and no part of the site may be reproduced, amended, modified, copied, or transmitted to third parties, by any means whatsoever without the prior written permission of the copyright owner. All rights reserved.

Glasgow Hotels: book cheap hotels in Glasgow online now.