Glasgow Guide Home

Whats On Glasgow Guide
  Glasgow What's On

Glasgow Reviews

Glasgow Gallery

Glasgow Links
Discuss | Guestbook | Postcard | News | Weather | Feedback | Search | About | What's New
Glasgow Guide Discussion Boards

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )                >> View Today's Topics <<

2 Pages V  < 1 2  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> St. Joseph's Chapel. North Woodside Road
Heather
post 27th Jun 2014, 09:02pm
Post #16

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 664
Carmella, I also loved The Song of Bernadette and that is why I wanted the name.
I have the DVD of it and also The Miracle of Fatima.

That Teacher I had gave all the class their Confirmation names. ohmy.gif

--------------------
Heather.......I'm tartan. Alba gu Brath. Saor Alba
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
barbara mcdonagh
post 11th Jul 2014, 08:33pm
Post #17

Special Visitor
Member No.: 11,173
QUOTE (JimC @ 28th May 2014, 04:35pm) *
Father Lyne brings back many memeories of St Joseph`s Chapel. He always walked very quickly and was a bit of a terror in his time. He wasn`t afraid to tell you what was on his mind or ask why you were not in chapel the Sunday before, how he remembered who was there and who wasn`t I will never know. I remember my mother used to stand at the close entrance talking to her friends , which was quite the normal thing to do in those days as the T.V. had only two channels, and any time she would see Father Lyne coming down the street on one of his usual Parish Visits, she would run up the stairs , make sure the house was spotless, put the tea on and put out the chocolate biscuits, anything to keep him happy and subdued, mind you regular home visits by a priest nowadays are pretty few and far between so I have to give him credit for his concern for his parishiners. I also remember Father Martin, Father Burns and Father Osbourne, all from St. Josephs.
I first attended St. Joseph`s Primary School on Manresa Place when I was five and remember a Miss Fitzsimmons and a Miss Hughes. when we got a little older we moved over to the Boys Big School as we called it with the playground on the roof which was just accross the road and adjacent to the Girls Big School whose playground was also on the roof and were separated by Braid Street. I was a member of the 125th Boy Cubs and Scouts Group which met on the top floor of a building at the rear of the Chapel and I believe it was also attached to the Chapel building and a small community centre. AHH memories of times gone by.
All The Very Best.
JimC

Father Osborne now retired,stands in occasionally St Agnes Lambhill while our priest gets chemotherapy treatments

+Quote Post
barbara mcdonagh
post 11th Jul 2014, 08:34pm
Post #18

Special Visitor
Member No.: 11,173
QUOTE (JimC @ 28th May 2014, 04:35pm) *
Father Lyne brings back many memeories of St Joseph`s Chapel. He always walked very quickly and was a bit of a terror in his time. He wasn`t afraid to tell you what was on his mind or ask why you were not in chapel the Sunday before, how he remembered who was there and who wasn`t I will never know. I remember my mother used to stand at the close entrance talking to her friends , which was quite the normal thing to do in those days as the T.V. had only two channels, and any time she would see Father Lyne coming down the street on one of his usual Parish Visits, she would run up the stairs , make sure the house was spotless, put the tea on and put out the chocolate biscuits, anything to keep him happy and subdued, mind you regular home visits by a priest nowadays are pretty few and far between so I have to give him credit for his concern for his parishiners. I also remember Father Martin, Father Burns and Father Osbourne, all from St. Josephs.
I first attended St. Joseph`s Primary School on Manresa Place when I was five and remember a Miss Fitzsimmons and a Miss Hughes. when we got a little older we moved over to the Boys Big School as we called it with the playground on the roof which was just accross the road and adjacent to the Girls Big School whose playground was also on the roof and were separated by Braid Street. I was a member of the 125th Boy Cubs and Scouts Group which met on the top floor of a building at the rear of the Chapel and I believe it was also attached to the Chapel building and a small community centre. AHH memories of times gone by.
All The Very Best.
JimC

Father Osborne now retired,stands in occasionally St Agnes Lambhill while our priest gets chemotherapy treatments

+Quote Post
JimC
post 13th Jul 2014, 04:58pm
Post #19

Lord Provost
Member No.: 7,530
Hi Barbera,
Aye, I know Father Barry well, he served mass at both my parents funerals and allowed me to say a few words from the pulpit even though we were just home for the funerals and didn`t attend St Agnes`s on a regular bases, but did so when we lived in Cadder . My wife and I had supper with him, which he cooked and made a grand job too I must say, we had a good discussion about the history of St. Agnes`s. My sister keeps me informed on Father Barry`s health as she still attends on a reguler basis, possibly you may have bumped into each other at some time, she also informed me that Father Osbourn is looking after things at the moment and has also attained some rank within the priesthood. I wish Father Barry all the best of health.

All The Very Best.
JimC

--------------------
The most important thing in communication
is to hear what isn`t being said

+Quote Post
JimC
post 13th Jul 2014, 05:07pm
Post #20

Lord Provost
Member No.: 7,530
Hi Elizabeth Costello,
Small world indeed, I too spent most of my primary school at St. Joseph`s and strangely enough went to St. Augustines in the Milton and now living north of Toronto, who`s following who here. rolleyes.gif

All The Very Best.
JimC.

--------------------
The most important thing in communication
is to hear what isn`t being said

+Quote Post
JosieHiggins2015
post 18th Jan 2017, 05:34pm
Post #21

Unpacking
Member No.: 32,657
QUOTE (Mary Bell @ 23rd Sep 2012, 02:21am) *
I am interested in finding anyone who attended St Joseph's school with me. My maiden name was Mary Carrigan, have older sister (Margaret, brother Robert and two younger twin sisters Anne & Isabel . I have lived in Australia since 1970.

Our priest was Father Lyne? I think Sister Mary Baptist was the principal then, and my teacher was Mrs Moyse (not sure if this is the correct spelling)

Mary Bell

+Quote Post
JosieHiggins2015
post 18th Jan 2017, 05:39pm
Post #22

Unpacking
Member No.: 32,657
Hi Heather I have just seen your topic 'regarding your twin sisters Anne and Isabel.I went throughout primary and secondary school with them. I lived at the other end of Ragl a n street. I knew them right up to when they went to live in Canada. I am Josephine Higgins , yes there was another Higgins were your gran lived they are my cousins.

+Quote Post
Heather
post 18th Jan 2017, 06:39pm
Post #23

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 664
Hi Josie, you have the wrong person as I don't have twin sister's.

My gran Curran lived in 35 Hamiltonhill road.

--------------------
Heather.......I'm tartan. Alba gu Brath. Saor Alba

+Quote Post

2 Pages V  < 1 2
Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th Mar 2017

All material in the site Glasgow Guide is copyright of the Glasgow Guide Organisation. This material is for your own private use only, and no part of the site may be reproduced, amended, modified, copied, or transmitted to third parties, by any means whatsoever without the prior written permission of the copyright owner. All rights reserved.

Glasgow Hotels: book cheap hotels in Glasgow online now.