Glasgow Guide Home

Whats On Glasgow Guide
  Glasgow What's On

Glasgow Reviews

Glasgow Gallery

Glasgow Links
Discuss | Guestbook | Postcard | News | Weather | Feedback | Search | About | What's New
Glasgow Guide Discussion Boards

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )                >> View Today's Topics <<

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> St Simon's Partick, My favourite
lianmy
post 11th Oct 2005, 06:42am
Post #1

Super Lord Provost
Member No.: 103
Although St Mungo's in the Townhead was our local Chapel every chance I got I would go to St Simon's in Partick. My Granny lived across the road from it and every Saturday we would visit her, I alway would pop into St Simon's and go to confession or if I was staying with her then I would also go to mass there.

All my brothers and sister were baptised in St Mungo's, but I was baptised in St Simon's my parents were living in Partick then. I guess I always felt that I had a special connection with this chapel.

Photo added by GG.

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Kentigern
post 10th Apr 2009, 06:28pm
Post #2

Visitor
Member No.: 5,979
New here and just come across this.

I was born across from the Art Galleries and prior to my joyful arrival my parents, were married here. Subsequently I was baptised therein and served as an altar boy to Fr Kelly in the mid 60's.
My 3 siblings were also baptised there and as a tennager carried my grandfathers box oot the door. In happier times one of my best matesgot hitched in the wee place.

In my salad days it was always the "Polish" church and only on going to Krakow last year I got the direct affinity.

I've left religion behind some many years past but love to pop round for a wee gander whence having a quick pine on Dumbarton Rd. Halcyon days.........................

--------------------
The conclusion of your syllogism, I said lightly, is fallacious, being based upon licensed premises.

+Quote Post
angel
post 10th Apr 2009, 09:24pm
Post #3

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 4,675
Hello Kentigern, I know this is a bit before your time,but St. Simons was the original St. Peters, however as the parish got bigger they had to build a larger church to accomodate the parishioners and that church became St Peters in Hyndland st ,!even this was before my time,!..so what is now
St.Simon,s was closed down and only used again during WW2 for the Polish soldiers to hear 12oclock mass on a Sunday, I remember going to that mass as a child just to see all the soldiers,eventually it became it,s own parish now St. Simons, I believe it is the oldest building in Partick
also as you look at the photo, to the right of the church was the original St Peters, school of course long gone now. smile.gif

--------------------
donate to your local food bank .
Pat.

+Quote Post
rossmckenzie
post 10th Apr 2009, 09:44pm
Post #4

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 849
Am probably what you would call a wee proddy guy...religion means nothing to me but I have conections to St Simons,,still hold it in high regard/...my best m8 to this day had a Polish Grandad and lived in Partick...I just loved his grandad cos he was foreign and sorta exotic to us...had fought against the Nazi's.... used to call me a wee Scottish heretic and I had no idea what he meant....now I think it was a term of endearment...he was just the most brilliant guy...fired our imaginations with anti Nazi stories....when he died a few years ago they had the funeral mass in St Simons...a was at a loss to know what to do but just followed everyone else but I had to be there because he was he was someone I admired and respected... My m8 still misses his grandad and makes a point of going to St Simons on his name day and especially at easter....this has to be one of the most amazing churches in Glasgow.....

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image

Attached Image

--------------------
Abair ach beagan is abair gu math e

+Quote Post
Heather
post 10th Apr 2009, 09:57pm
Post #5

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 664
Ross, you gave me a laugh there, getting called a wee Scottish heretic. laugh.gif

I'm sure you know the meaning of that word just as well as I do. But I'm also sure when you were called that it was not meant as an insult but as you said, a term of endearment.

--------------------
Heather.......I'm tartan. Alba gu Brath. Saor Alba

+Quote Post
rossmckenzie
post 10th Apr 2009, 10:25pm
Post #6

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 849
Heather I never took offence I just loved the guy..he would tallk to me for hours about stuff that happened in Poland and a was always engrossed by his stories...my m8 was like dont wanna know grandad its history...a could never understand that.when I went 2 Poland myself for the first time I was recked in a way I had never been before...his grandad was still alive and we talked a bit about it but I just could not bring myself to ask him questions....

--------------------
Abair ach beagan is abair gu math e

+Quote Post
Kentigern
post 15th Apr 2009, 07:21pm
Post #7

Visitor
Member No.: 5,979
Yes Simon/Peter are probably the same guy. And yes I went to St Peters, both Annexes, for my Primary education.

If you are old enogh Angel, it was Fr Robertson who was the Parish priest and who in the late 50's gave me the incorrect names over the font. My mother still refers to me by this misnomer in jest.

Those post-war Poles were brave and proud people many of whom I had the pleasure of growing up with.

--------------------
The conclusion of your syllogism, I said lightly, is fallacious, being based upon licensed premises.

+Quote Post
*FrankHughes57*
post 27th Apr 2010, 02:27pm
Post #8

Hi Kentigern
Did you go to school with me?I went to St.Peters and lived "doon the brae" across from St.Simons in Partick Bridge St until our house was demolished in 1970.I used to play in the swingpark just round the corner from the chapel and in the old railway.

Frank

+Quote Post

Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 22nd Jul 2017

All material in the site Glasgow Guide is copyright of the Glasgow Guide Organisation. This material is for your own private use only, and no part of the site may be reproduced, amended, modified, copied, or transmitted to third parties, by any means whatsoever without the prior written permission of the copyright owner. All rights reserved.

Glasgow Hotels: book cheap hotels in Glasgow online now.