Glasgow Guide Home

Whats On Glasgow Guide
  Glasgow What's On

Glasgow Reviews

Glasgow Gallery

Glasgow Links
Discuss | Guestbook | Postcard | News | Weather | Feedback | Search | About | What's New
Glasgow Guide Discussion Boards

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )                >> View Today's Topics <<

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> St. Aloysius Church, Fondly remembered by a non-Catholic
boots
post 9th Oct 2005, 03:15am
Post #1

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 1,524
I was first introduced to St. Aloysius Church by my girlfriend Anne. She was catholic and I wasn't but we frequently visited different churches during our lunch hour. Something about St. Aloysius kept drawing me back. I thought it was beautiful and returned with Anne or other friends several times to the evening service which I particularly enjoyed. Nearly sixty years have passed since then and my memory has dimmed. I can no longer recall all the beauty of the interior of the church that first attracted me but I can remember how peaceful it felt and in my mind's eye I can still see the priest swinging a closed brass vessel at the end of a chain. I can smell the incense and hear the tinkle of the bells...were they the angelus bells? I don't really know and was St. Aloysius Church on Renfrew Street? I'm a little uncertain of that too but I'll always smile and feel at peace when I think of St Aloysius.

File added by GG.

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Heather
post 15th Jan 2006, 04:35pm
Post #2

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 664
Boots, you are not far off with Renfrew St. the Church is in Rose St.
St. Aloysius Garnethill was the Parish my husband grew up in, and our first Parish after we were married. Our son was also Christened there.
The Priests are usually Jesuits.

I don't think it was the Angelus Bells you heard during the evening service, but that would depend on the time of the Service you were at.

The Angelus Bells are rung three times a day, morning, noon and evening. This is when the Angelus prayer is said in honour of the Incarnation/ Annunciation. That is why the prayer starts, ' The angel of the Lord declared unto Mary'.

--------------------
Heather.......I'm tartan. Alba gu Brath. Saor Alba

+Quote Post
buntyq
post 15th Jan 2006, 05:22pm
Post #3

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 15
Heather, when Suzy and I were in Glasgow last July we took our camcorder to Garnethill. I remember the church and the prep school so well. However, Garnethill Convent, run by the Sisters of Mercy, and my old high school, was gone. My memories are of racing up those hills when I heard the bell. Woe betide us if we got in late. The good sisters were ill named because they had no mercy if we were late for prayers. The one thing that had not changed was the view of the Campsie Hills in the distance.

+Quote Post
Isobel
post 15th Jan 2006, 06:08pm
Post #4

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 33
I used to go dancing at their hall every Sunday night.

--------------------
From Glasgow now in Canada

+Quote Post
Heather
post 15th Jan 2006, 06:50pm
Post #5

Mega City Key Holder
Buntyq, The Convent of Mercy closed down quite a few years ago.

We called them 'The Unmerciful Sisters' but in saying that, I was taught by them from when I started school, and some of them were really nice. My favourite was Sister Mary Bernadette. There was one who's name I am not sure of and she was a right tarter. I escaped being taught by her, but my elder sister had bad time with her, she was very strict.

Were you ever told off for walking up the middle of a corridor. " anyone who walks up the middle of the corridor or stairs, just wants to be noticed, always keep into the side". I still have a habit of keeping to the side in corridors, even in shops when going up or down the stairs. laugh.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Gallifreya
post 23rd Feb 2006, 09:29pm
Post #6

Settling In
From: Borehamwood Herts England (Researching my family history in Glasgow)
Member No.: 1,609
Could this be the 'St. Aloysius Chapel' where my Great Grandparents were married in 1873? Has it been there that long? Were there any other St. Aloysius churches in the city? I have a copy of the marriage extract, but the location of the church is illegible. Could this thread have found it for me? The writing on the extract certainly looks like 'Garnethill', -- it is definitely 'something' - hill-- does anyone know was there any other church it could have been? unsure.gif
Gallifreya

+Quote Post
Gallifreya
post 23rd Feb 2006, 09:41pm
Post #7

Settling In
From: Borehamwood Herts England (Researching my family history in Glasgow)
Member No.: 1,609
Wow! I just re-checked the extract on line at Scotland's People and it definitely IS Garnethill. Glasgow Guide really comes up trumps for family history! Now I not only know where they were married, but I have a picture of the inside of the church too! Thanks so much GG for that! biggrin.gif
Gallifreya

+Quote Post
magsos
post 1st Apr 2006, 12:28pm
Post #8

Super Visitor
Member No.: 1,052
yes gallifreya,there is a st aloysuis`s church in hillkirk st springburn..thats where i made my first communion...it is a lovely old church.

+Quote Post
Heather
post 1st Apr 2006, 07:54pm
Post #9

Mega City Key Holder
My great g'parents and g'parents on my dads side, were married in St. Aloysius, Garnethill.

--------------------

+Quote Post
*maximonk*
post 26th Oct 2009, 09:50pm
Post #10

Gallifreya!
I have recently taken a photo of the front of St Aloysius.
However, I can't see how to send it as it does not have a URL- there must be a way to insert it! ?
If you see this try to find a way to contact me, should you want the photo.

+Quote Post

Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th Nov 2017

All material in the site Glasgow Guide is copyright of the Glasgow Guide Organisation. This material is for your own private use only, and no part of the site may be reproduced, amended, modified, copied, or transmitted to third parties, by any means whatsoever without the prior written permission of the copyright owner. All rights reserved.

Glasgow Hotels: book cheap hotels in Glasgow online now.