Glasgow Guide Home

Whats On Glasgow Guide
  Glasgow What's On

Glasgow Reviews

Glasgow Gallery

Glasgow Links
Discuss | Guestbook | Postcard | News | Weather | Feedback | Search | About | What's New
Glasgow Guide Discussion Boards

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )                >> View Today's Topics <<

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Grove St Mission, Grove Christian Centre
Parkhouse
post 30th Nov 2009, 11:54am
Post #1

Unpacking
Member No.: 7,784
Hi
Does anyone remeber the Grove street mission, that then became the Grove christian centre in Hamiltonhill, Possilpark.

I used to attened both when i was a wee lad.
Regards
Parkhouse
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
27stowst
post 1st Dec 2009, 02:32am
Post #2

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 6,716
Hi Parkhouse and welcome to the site. I only went there once or twice but my big sister was a regular there in the 50's. That's if it is the Grove Street Institute you are talking about! Attached Image

--------------------
Slainte Mhor

+Quote Post
Heather
post 6th Dec 2009, 01:15am
Post #3

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 664
I went to Grove Institue, and the Braid Street one also in the early 50s.

I still remember singing, ' Deep and Wide', and ' My cups full and Running Over'. laugh.gif

--------------------
Heather.......I'm tartan. Alba gu Brath. Saor Alba

+Quote Post
faffy
post 29th Dec 2009, 01:02am
Post #4

Visitor
Member No.: 5,599
Heather, I went to the Grove Street Institute when I lived in Grove Street.even although my Mother was catholic.I remember getting a wee book full of Bible stories and Pictures for good attendance,I loved it!
My favourite time was the Harvest service.I do remember singing 'my cup's full and running over'It has always stuck in my mind even although it was over 50 years ago.
Do you remember the Pillars outside the Doors? my Cousins and I used to shimmy up them to see who could get the highest. I can't imagine being that "Gallus" now

+Quote Post
Heather
post 5th Jan 2010, 09:26pm
Post #5

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 664
Faffy, it's too many years ago to remember any pillars. We were too busy hiding among our Protestant pals as some of us were Catholic and someone told us Catholics were not allowed in. sad.gif

When we went to the Braid Street one, we had to be very careful as it was just down the road from St. Joseph's Chapel. We thought we would get a telling off from the Priest if he saw us going in.

Oh the fantasies of childhood. laugh.gif

--------------------
Heather.......I'm tartan. Alba gu Brath. Saor Alba

+Quote Post
faffy
post 6th Jan 2010, 02:39am
Post #6

Visitor
Member No.: 5,599
The Pillars were part of the front Facade beside the big doors. They were slatted and we could get oor wee feet in between the stones to be able to climb up. Since I was only wee aboot 5 at the time, it must have been exciting enough for me to remember all these years later. Since all my Cousins were Catholic I can remember going to St Joseph's with them many times. I remember going to tap dancing in an annex beside the Chapel with my Cousin. My Mother went to Sister of Mercy Convent School in Garnethill.
Number 61 Grove street seems to have been a "family Close" a lot of my relatives have lived in that Close at some time or another,others in the next close up.Others in Burnside Street, Braid Street and North Woodside Road,I have a lot of great memories of that area.I went back there all the time until I emmigrated to Canada in 1969.

+Quote Post
*Paul Ede*
post 18th Mar 2011, 10:22pm
Post #7

Hi all, my name is Paul Ede and I am one of the current Trustees of the Grove Christian Centre, which is the ongoing inheritor of the rich heritage of the Grove Christian Mission going all the way back to the 1830's in Cowcaddens. Check out the current website here: http://sites.google.com/site/grovechristiancentre/ - we still operate a premises in Possilpark.

+Quote Post
Parkhouse
post 19th Jan 2012, 04:36pm
Post #8

Unpacking
Member No.: 7,784
Hi All
Are their any of the old Grovies still around?, it would be nice to get in touch, I am currentl a member of Trinity possil, Henrey Drummond Church in Parkhouse Glasgow. sadly there dosent seem to be too many around.
you can contact me here derekchristie1445@btinternet.com

+Quote Post
*Paul Ede*
post 21st Mar 2012, 04:38pm
Post #9

New research into the History of the Grove Institute has been made available here: https://sites.google.com/site/grovechristiancentre/history

+Quote Post

Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th Mar 2017

All material in the site Glasgow Guide is copyright of the Glasgow Guide Organisation. This material is for your own private use only, and no part of the site may be reproduced, amended, modified, copied, or transmitted to third parties, by any means whatsoever without the prior written permission of the copyright owner. All rights reserved.

Glasgow Hotels: book cheap hotels in Glasgow online now.