Glasgow Guide Home

Whats On Glasgow Guide
  Glasgow What's On

Glasgow Reviews

Glasgow Gallery

Glasgow Links
Discuss | Guestbook | Postcard | News | Weather | Feedback | Search | About | What's New
Glasgow Guide Discussion Boards

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )                >> View Today's Topics <<

2 Pages V  < 1 2  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> North Kelvinside Church
AlexK
post 16th Sep 2009, 01:25am
Post #16

Settling In
Member No.: 7,398
I've just discovered that Google Street View allows you to take a virtual "drive" along some Glasgow streets. I did this for Queen Margaret Drive. You can turn around at the various corners and look from side to side as you pass.

I did a Google Search for Queen Margaret Drive Glasgow and the first response on the list was a Google Maps map. When I selected this I was presented with a Street View option. When I took that, double clicking on the image allowed me to move forward and back along Queen Margaret Drive, or, as I said before, to turn at corners or look at things as I passed. Perhaps this link will work (it is quite long and it all needs to be used - so join all the parts up before using):

http://maps.google.ca/maps?hl=en&sourc...ge&resnum=1
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Steeplejack
post 16th Sep 2009, 08:00pm
Post #17

Visitor
Member No.: 7,413
Hi AlexK,

I did exactly the same thing and what a surprise it was. The whole area which once I knew and called home has gone. Maybe I won't come back and look around - might be too depressing. Even The Belhaven Institute has been replaced with a red brick building. How long before the swing park goes also? All those famous old streets:- Agnes St. Kelvinside Ave. Roland St. Fernie St. Oran St. and Marmion St all gone. Sad. (Apologies if I've missed any.)

I'm continuing to dig for any historical references and or pictures. I'll keep in touch.

Cheers,

Steeplejack

+Quote Post
Scots Kiwi Lass
post 18th Sep 2009, 08:40pm
Post #18

City Key Holder
Member No.: 4,097
Hi AlexK

Great photos - brought back lots of memories. In your second photo, is that the houses in Oban Drive in the background? I went to NK School from 1952 to 1957 and always thought those houses looked great compared to where I lived (Hinshaw Street).

I knew that all the school buildings were demolished in recent years but as I only had a brief glimpse from the bus going up Maryhill Road on my last visit, I didn't get much of a view. It looked like everything had gone, including the church and also the buildings where we were taught "domestic science". This was in two parts (Oak House and Mahogany House) and on three levels, including vast kitchens where we learned to cook and bake. This must have been a big loss as we all loved cooking and cleaning there.

Has there been any building on the site yet?

Betty T.

--------------------
Kia mau ki to Maoritanga
.............. Hold fast to your culture

+Quote Post
Venus
post 19th Sep 2009, 02:04am
Post #19

Resident
Member No.: 6,952
No development yet in Oban Drive but it looks like its up and running just round from 43 Hinshaw Street.Did you get the pics?

+Quote Post
AlexK
post 19th Sep 2009, 02:28am
Post #20

Settling In
Member No.: 7,398
Kia ora Scots Kiwi Lass,

I'm glad that Venus replied to your query about redevelopment because I didn't know the answer. But yes it is Oban Drive. I walked up it to Maryhill Rd looking and all the devastation below me (I know that's not fair for someone living there now but for someone returning to his roots after 55 years - well it was quite a shock). I left in 1955 and my fleeting visit in May was my first time back since then. The whole area has been demolished - including many of the streets. I lived at 2 Marmion Street and although the building that had been Penrice's dairy at 16 Marmion Street is still there (it's now JS McColl Decorators at about 193 Queen Margaret Dr) everything else is gone. As Steeplejack said above, lots of streets in the area have gone too. I was only 12 when we left and in my few hours in the area in May I really struggled both with the huge changes that have taken place and with my very shaky memory! I didn't quite make it to secondary school in Glasgow. I left from Garrioch when it was still a primary school.

Alex

+Quote Post
Steeplejack
post 19th Sep 2009, 09:44am
Post #21

Visitor
Member No.: 7,413
Just packing the car when the message came through. What a priviledge it is to be able to discuss with folk from all over the world, old familiar places and times gone by.

AlexK put the case much better than I did. Of course I was sad when I found the whole area demolished and so were many other folk I suspect, but times have changed and as AlexK points out, it’s good for those who live there now.

The people living on Oban Drive must have rejoiced at the prospect of having an open view instead of the back of NK School and Kelvinside Avenue ! Mind you I have no idea what they plan to fill the open space with. Glasgow, like every other city, has progressed and changed over the years and now it’s very different to the idealised picture I’ve carried around in my mind of ‘my house’ and the streets where I grew up. I suppose that means I really am old ! On the other hand I’m enjoying thinking about a visit in the near(?) future in spite of it all.

Steeplejack.

+Quote Post
Scots Kiwi Lass
post 19th Sep 2009, 01:40pm
Post #22

City Key Holder
Venus,
Thank you so much for the photos you sent me. I've spent some time studying them but the only familiar building is Springbank School in Hinshaw Street and it's difficult to work out what's what! I'll email you when I have had another look.

AlexK
I hope the buildings in Oban Drive are still there when I make my next visit to Glasgow (hopefully in 2011). I need to walk around the NK School area, starting from Hinshaw Street and retracing the steps when we walked to school. I've been told that walking around the old areas can be upsetting but I want to do it anyway.

Cheers,

--------------------
Kia mau ki to Maoritanga

+Quote Post
Venus
post 19th Sep 2009, 05:35pm
Post #23

Resident
Did you walk to school via Stair Street?

+Quote Post
Scots Kiwi Lass
post 20th Sep 2009, 11:57am
Post #24

City Key Holder
Yes, Venus, I remember Stair Streeet well. We climbed those stairs twice a day, except when time was short and we had to catch a tram! I suppose the street no longer exists?

--------------------
Kia mau ki to Maoritanga

+Quote Post
Venus
post 20th Sep 2009, 05:47pm
Post #25

Resident
Stair Street May 09

+Quote Post
martin_glasgow
post 30th Sep 2009, 07:41pm
Post #26

Super Visitor
Member No.: 1,297
Attached Image

Attached Image

Here are pictures of the swingpark at Queen margaret drive/Kelbourne Street..
You can see the Garage that used to be there opposite the swing park,And the old church in front of the swing park.

+Quote Post

2 Pages V  < 1 2
Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th May 2017

All material in the site Glasgow Guide is copyright of the Glasgow Guide Organisation. This material is for your own private use only, and no part of the site may be reproduced, amended, modified, copied, or transmitted to third parties, by any means whatsoever without the prior written permission of the copyright owner. All rights reserved.

Glasgow Hotels: book cheap hotels in Glasgow online now.