Glasgow Guide Home

Whats On Glasgow Guide
  Glasgow What's On

Glasgow Reviews

Glasgow Gallery

Glasgow Links
Discuss | Guestbook | Postcard | News | Weather | Feedback | Search | About | What's New
Glasgow Guide Discussion Boards

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )                >> View Today's Topics <<

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Bethany Hall
hughmac
post 10th Jan 2008, 10:53am
Post #1

Super Visitor
Member No.: 1,797
Does anybody remember the Bethany Hall in Bernard Street in Bridgeton?
As a kid, we lived in the close next door. One evening, they had a film show for the kids (religious films) and my sister and I went with all our pals. Unfortunately, we didn't say to our parents where we were going and they were out searching the streets for us.

When we eventually turned up, my mam's main worry was that ma wee granny would find out where we had been as we were catholics!

--------------------
O wad some Power the giftie gie us. To see oursels as ithers see us! ............ Rabbie Burns, (1759 - 1796), sittin' in the pub, drunk, seldom sober, feelin' sorry fur masel'.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
*bobby stevenson*
post 28th Feb 2009, 05:55pm
Post #2

Bethany Hall, Glasgow
I attended the Bethany Hall, Bernard Street, Glasgow, with my parents well into my teens, but can find very little information on it. I know it was part of the GUEA organisation which included the Tent Hall and The Bible Training Institute. The Superintendents (Pastors) I remember were William McCracken, Charlie Main, Peter Donald. Miss Darroch looked after the woman's work. My recollection is that The Bethany had a large hall that held about 600 and a smaller hall for about 250 upstairs (previously a balcony) and a very large platform area with an organ and grand piano and generally housed atleast 2 choirs. There were 4 choirs in all - Male Voice, Mixed voice Senior, Womens and Junior choir.
It also had a illuminated canopy over the front door which was quite unique for that time.
It was eventually closed down by the GUEA, but the members continued (with the same Bethany Hall name) in a different venue in Muslin Street for many years afterwards.

+Quote Post
TeeHeeHee
post 3rd Mar 2009, 04:09pm
Post #3

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 6,448
I visited it twice as a kid, but don't ask me where it was in Brig'ton.
Our church was the Bethany Hall in Blantyre.
If you had come in there as a catholic, as my mate did when I invited him ( I'd gone to the chapel with him) the elders would have spent all night trying to convert you as they did my mate.
I was embarrased.
" You see Tom, the Catholics believe in The Falling Away Doctrine."
To this day I still don't know what that means.
It was also a favourite quote of my big brother.

--------------------
"Destiny is a good thing to accept when it's going your way. When it isn't, don't call it destiny; call it injustice, treachery, or simple bad luck.”
― Joseph Heller, God Knows

+Quote Post
dizzybint
post 22nd Oct 2010, 10:58am
Post #4

Lord Provost
Member No.: 9,116
uch aye was in the Bethany Hall often

Deep and Wide
Deep and Wide
theres a fountain flowing deep and wide hallelujah ... hahaha loved it in Bernard st near where I lived in Brigton..

+Quote Post
TeeHeeHee
post 22nd Oct 2010, 11:03am
Post #5

Mega City Key Holder
Another song/hymn was, "Are you washed in the blood of the Lamb?"
I hated that hymn as a child.

--------------------
"Destiny is a good thing to accept when it's going your way. When it isn't, don't call it destiny; call it injustice, treachery, or simple bad luck.”

+Quote Post
dizzybint
post 23rd Oct 2010, 08:40pm
Post #6

Lord Provost
Member No.: 9,116
Running over Running over....
my cups full and running over

Running over Running over....
my cups full and running over

+Quote Post
Heather
post 23rd Oct 2010, 09:47pm
Post #7

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 664
Says the Lord to me I'm as happy as can be,
My cups full and running over.

She lost it, she lost it that litle piece of silver
But happy are the children when found by me. smile.gif

--------------------
Heather.......I'm tartan. Alba gu Brath. Saor Alba

+Quote Post
Phil Mitchell
post 24th Apr 2012, 03:08pm
Post #8

Unpacking
Member No.: 12,776
My dad Jack Mitchell came to the Lord in Bethany Hall, as a boy I was often taken to hear the Gospel.I believe that was one of the spiritual influences in my life which brought me to saving faith in christ in 1959.I now live in Belfast and 'the best is yet to come'.

+Quote Post
Dexter St. Clair
post 27th Apr 2012, 07:43am
Post #9

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 1,715
QUOTE (TeeHeeHee @ 3rd Mar 2009, 05:14pm) *
I visited it twice as a kid, but don't ask me where it was in Brig'ton.
Our church was the Bethany Hall in Blantyre.
If you had come in there as a catholic, as my mate did when I invited him ( I'd gone to the chapel with him) the elders would have spent all night trying to convert you as they did my mate.
I was embarrased.
" You see Tom, the Catholics believe in The Falling Away Doctrine."
To this day I still don't know what that means.
It was also a favourite quote of my big brother.

Those who propagate the "falling away" doctrine are wrong about many things. They believe one will lose his salvation when he sins. Wrong! This implies that the work of Christ is insufficient. They teach that to believe in eternal security means one can live a wicked, immoral life and still get to heaven. Wrong! "How shall we that are dead to sin live any longer therein" Romans 6:2? Christ's death FOR us was also our death TO sin. A person who is saved abhors sin and has no desire to continue in it.

Few who hold this doctrine are saved because this basically means salvation is by works. Some among them recognized they were unable to merit salvation. God revealed to them salvation through the finished work of Christ. They believed and were saved. The wrong teachings they hear hinder them from appreciating the wonderful truth that salvation is eternal. Let us pray that God will reveal this to them also.

What I think they're saying is that no matter how many good works you do on earth it has no affect on your destination in the afterlife. They're not quite saying your fate is pre determined but you have to be a believer to be saved. I do hope that comforts you. More questions answered in The Gospel Tent

+Quote Post
TeeHeeHee
post 27th Apr 2012, 08:01am
Post #10

Mega City Key Holder
Well, Dexter, now I know. wink.gif
After all this time ... Thankyouverymuchmate biggrin.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post

Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th Nov 2017

All material in the site Glasgow Guide is copyright of the Glasgow Guide Organisation. This material is for your own private use only, and no part of the site may be reproduced, amended, modified, copied, or transmitted to third parties, by any means whatsoever without the prior written permission of the copyright owner. All rights reserved.

Glasgow Hotels: book cheap hotels in Glasgow online now.