Glasgow Guide Home

Whats On Glasgow Guide
  Glasgow What's On

Glasgow Reviews

Glasgow Gallery

Glasgow Links
Discuss | Guestbook | Postcard | News | Weather | Feedback | Search | About | What's New
Glasgow Guide Discussion Boards

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )                >> View Today's Topics <<

4 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Pastor Jack Glass Dies, At the age of 67
*Guest*
post 19th Aug 2009, 12:00am
Post #31

Thats an appaling way to speak of someone's husband or father!
Pastor Jack actually studied at the free church college in edinburgh so get your facts right, the man had more dignity in his sermons than you have in your venomous rant, I had the pleasure to hear him preach on many occassions and he had nothing but compassion for people and love for what he regarded as truth.

The world needs more passionate people like Jack, you have the right to disagree with him but don't dehumanise yourself by doing it with indignity.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
North Canalbank ...
post 5th Mar 2010, 06:17am
Post #32

Visitor
Member No.: 7,593
Did in fact Pastor Jack Glass follow in a long line of Glasgow characters.
If we,re honest, Jack was a religous version of Tommy Sheridan.
Older posters on here might even remember Guy Aldred, the Glasgow Anarchist.
Is just me or did Jack look like Matt McGinn.
Glasgow characters, how sadly they seem now to have all gone.

+Quote Post
TeeHeeHee
post 5th Mar 2010, 01:42pm
Post #33

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 6,448
There is a great amount to be read about Pastor Jack Glass on the net. Of particular interest to me was that he founded his Zion Baptist Church after breaking away from the Bethany Hall - which I attended from being two years old. Although fire and brimstone sermons in our church were the norm; tempered with a swift dip in the Blood of The Lamb, our pastors were not quite as fervent as Jack Glass.
Had I had occasion to meet him I'm sure I would have fallen by the wayside a helluva lot sooner than I did ... more's the pity.

Billy Connelly's quip about him being "A wee pastor" was priceless. tongue.gif

--------------------
Wait a minute ... I've got my eye on a burd.

... Some try to tell me thoughts they cannot defend ...

+Quote Post
Dylan
post 5th Mar 2010, 03:50pm
Post #34

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 3,936
Hi NC,

I am inclined to agree with you.

I am an Athiest so have no opinion of him other than he was a nutter and a character but in his own way, I think sincere.

I went to hear Guy Aldred speak somewhere in Bath Street circa 1960 and he became one of my Heros.

He had a wee publication called " The Word "

Anarchy is order springs to mind !! lol

--------------------
You don't need a weatherman
To know which way the wind blows

+Quote Post
pumps100
post 5th Mar 2010, 06:12pm
Post #35

Super City Key Holder
Member No.: 5,333
This is is reply to the post from the Heavy Metal band Jack Glass

Hi there,

Its good that the pastors name is being kept alive via your band. I'm sure you've already thought of a tribute to the man e.g." Jumpin' Jack Glass" etc etc. Not so sure about the religious waffle!

I wish you and your band all the very best of success. My son is in a band - they play death metal, but they're splitting up later this year, after one album, and some critical acclaim. I know how tough it can be keeping it all together.

http://www.myspace.com/viatrophy

All the very best

Ian

+Quote Post
*Guest*
post 5th Mar 2010, 06:20pm
Post #36

I knew Guy Aldred slightly and and as a young man regularly bought "The Word" from the Strickland Press, his premises in George Street. That would also have been around 1960 - quite a long time ago. He was never a hero of mine but he was certainly worthy of the description a Glasgow "character" and it is my recollection that he had a razor sharp mind and quite an acerbic tongue.

Dylan probably heard Aldred speak in the Central Halls in Bath Street.

+Quote Post
North Canalbank ...
post 6th Mar 2010, 12:55am
Post #37

Visitor
Member No.: 7,593
I,ll never forget one Saturday morning in the middle of the 1980s in the then, Shawlands Aracade.

Pastor Glass accompanied by his little band of followers was giving a wee sermon out the front about Jesus and such things to passing shoppers and right out the blue a wee Glesga drunk appeared from nowhere and shouted "FTP".
The full words, well you could have heard a pin drop.
All the passers by looked at Jack and then burst out laughing probably out of nerves more than anything else.
Jack closed the good book and left.

+Quote Post
TeeHeeHee
post 6th Mar 2010, 01:04am
Post #38

Mega City Key Holder
QUOTE (pumps100 @ 5th Mar 2010, 07:10pm) *
This is is reply to the post from the Heavy Metal band Jack Glass

Hi there,
...I wish you and your band all the very best of success.

All the very best

Ian

Guess they must have hit the big time Ian.
Or were they one post wonders (April 2006) tongue.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
pumps100
post 6th Mar 2010, 12:33pm
Post #39

Super City Key Holder
Member No.: 5,333
THH - this was my mistake not the bands. I saw a new post on the thread and I incorrectly thought their post was the last post - as it was at the bottom of the page. But I see now its at the bottom of page 1. I can confirm that no drink had been taken - it was just me being daft.

Regards

Ian

+Quote Post
TeeHeeHee
post 6th Mar 2010, 12:36pm
Post #40

Mega City Key Holder
laugh.gif
Been there Ian.
Cheers.
THH

--------------------

+Quote Post
Burgessian
post 27th Jun 2010, 07:41pm
Post #41

Visitor
Member No.: 8,642
I saw Jack Glass once ,in the late seventies or early eighties, there was some sort of Irish Republican march on Victoria Rd, The march had left Queens Park main gate when Jack Glass marched out in front it, Bible and Union Flag aloft.

Brave Man Anyway.

+Quote Post
**klingon**
post 28th Jun 2010, 10:23am
Post #42

QUOTE (Guest @ 19th Aug 2009, 01:17am) *
Pastor Jack actually studied at the free church college in edinburgh so get your facts right, the man had more dignity in his sermons than you have in your venomous rant, I had the pleasure to hear him preach on many occassions and he had nothing but compassion for people and love for what he regarded as truth.

The world needs more passionate people like Jack, you have the right to disagree with him but don't dehumanise yourself by doing it with indignity.

Firstly - the "rant" was in no way venomous - just honest criticism of a bigoted anti-catholic. I'm sorry but imo the guy had no place in the modern world - and as for "dignity" what is dignified in hating someone because of their religion?

+Quote Post
**klingon**
post 21st Aug 2010, 12:02pm
Post #43

QUOTE (Guest @ 19th Aug 2009, 01:10am) *

Dignity? - don't talk nonsense - since when has sectarianism and religious intolerance been dignified?

I think Mr Glass committed the ultimate sin by ramming his doubtful beliefs down other peoples throats - how did he know that his views were the right ones? Sorry - but in my opinion - the world is a slightly more peaceful and tolerant place without him - or his extremist views.

+Quote Post
*DaughterOfGod:)*
post 29th Aug 2010, 09:27pm
Post #44

i am 15, and very good friends with jack glass' daughter jayne, her husband david and there 7 children, josh, joel, abbi, jordana, joanna, johnny and beth, they are all lovely people, who believe in gods word, and look up to their grandfather as a great man, they have similar views to their grandfather, they dont hate anyone, as neither did jack glass, they just want to show the love and compassion of the lord to everyone and want people (such as roman catholics) to follow the true word of god so they can have eternal life and be in a loving relationship with the father, jack glass may have been very extreme, but he had an immense love for god which he wanted to spread throughout all people so they may know what love is. i have respect for all people and all religions but will always fight for my beliefs and love for god and that people may realise the true way.

+Quote Post
auldbutcher
post 30th Sep 2010, 07:14pm
Post #45

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 7,459
Ach the auld pastor glass a watered doon version o Ian Paisley another bigot who hid his bigoted views under the sham o a man o god .

Hivnae looked at any posts in this thread and as i have sais afore am an atheist might be proved wrang wan day when the devil gies me a three prong jab up the erse an ses howdy son.

People like Glass an Paisley an the creeps like the Muslim Mullah's who preach hatred in the name o religion should be locked up in my estimation...

By the same token as an auld granfaither ,and faither my deepest sympathy's tae his family specally his gran weans who in my experience forge a very deep bond with there granweans.

+Quote Post

4 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 >
Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th Jul 2017

All material in the site Glasgow Guide is copyright of the Glasgow Guide Organisation. This material is for your own private use only, and no part of the site may be reproduced, amended, modified, copied, or transmitted to third parties, by any means whatsoever without the prior written permission of the copyright owner. All rights reserved.

Glasgow Hotels: book cheap hotels in Glasgow online now.