Glasgow Guide Home

Whats On Glasgow Guide
  Glasgow What's On

Glasgow Reviews

Glasgow Gallery

Glasgow Links
Discuss | Guestbook | Postcard | News | Weather | Feedback | Search | About | What's New
Glasgow Guide Discussion Boards

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )                >> View Today's Topics <<

4 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Pastor Jack Glass Dies, At the age of 67
Heather
post 18th Apr 2006, 10:58am
Post #16

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 664
I saw Jack Glass when he was protesting outside the City Chambers about the visit to Glasgow of Pope John Paul 2nd in 1982.

He was handing out leaflets and ranting and raving. As I passed by I could not help laughing at his antics. He must have thought I was agreeing with him, he smiled at me and handed me one of his leaflets. I refused it, and told him that me being a Roman Catholic, I was supporting the visit of the Pope. He was furious and started to rant at me, I walked on, still laughing.

He had no respect for anyone who disagreed with his opinions.

I remember when the Pope was going through Edinburgh, Jack Glass was there protesting, and the Pope turned to him and Blessed him. I thought this was hilarious, and wondered how he felt about being Blessed by the head of the R.C. Church. laugh.gif

--------------------
Heather.......I'm tartan. Alba gu Brath. Saor Alba
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
marina
post 18th Apr 2006, 05:21pm
Post #17

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 1,137
we had neighbours that went to jack glass' church, they were nice folk but nutters to say the least, im not a religious person myself so i wont make any comment on that but i am tolerant of people who do choose to believe in whatever religion they choose

--------------------
Slàinte mhor a h-uile là a chi 's nach fhaic

+Quote Post
Thomas
post 18th Apr 2006, 06:31pm
Post #18

City Key Holder
Member No.: 384
I am delighted that you have expressed your views very powerfully regarding peoples’ faith and religion and their freedom to choose whether or not to believe. Obviously as an atheist, you have chosen to believe in the things that you can see, hear and touch and in the marvellous world of science and technology. Well done.

I don’t know what age you are, but may I wish you a very long, happy and prosperous life and may I die the day before you, in order that I may see your face when you enter into heaven.

--------------------
Exaltabo Te Domine

I will magnify thee O God

+Quote Post
Heather
post 18th Apr 2006, 07:49pm
Post #19

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 664
It's great to be so sure that you will be in heaven Thomas. laugh.gif

--------------------
Heather.......I'm tartan. Alba gu Brath. Saor Alba

+Quote Post
derick2
post 21st Apr 2006, 07:06pm
Post #20

Special Visitor
Member No.: 2,161
I knew Jack Glass in the 60's when he first attracted public attention and had several long conversations with him. I remember his piercing eyes particularly, yellow/green I think. He was a very intense person. Certainly a bit of a fanatic. However as some of the other posts have indicated, mixed in with his views on the Church he rightly identified the moral decay evident in all western nations. I'm sure he was misguided in many ways but he was not a hypocrite unlike some of our leaders such as George Bush and others. I hope he had a peaceful depature

+Quote Post
Thomas
post 21st Apr 2006, 10:14pm
Post #21

City Key Holder
I recall being the Senior Funeral Director and working with Jack Glass and his oratory skills at the graveside were absolutely inspirational - no book other than the Bible and his ability to capture even the most seasoned and 'heard it all before' funeral directors and gravediggers was amazing.

He spoke with great eloquence, made mention of the lady in question - proclaiming her as no saint by any means and he said the same about himself, but he made her into a princess at least. As far as I know, everyone who knew the lady claimed he described her exactly and he didn't even know the woman.

His oratory was not long winded, not eccentric, not fantatical in any shape or fashion, it was a straightforward eulogy delivered with charisma and sincerity - not many can do that, so effectively and warmly as he did that day.

It's often the case, the 'public face' is so different from the 'private or professional' and he was most certainly professional. I know I have heard thousands of eulogies and delivered a few hundred myself.

Yep, if there is anything that you can say about Jack Glass - the one thing that you cannot deny - he added colour to a very grey clergy!

--------------------
Exaltabo Te Domine

+Quote Post
hopalong cassidy
post 26th Jun 2006, 12:30pm
Post #22

Visitor
Member No.: 3,490
A disgusting man claimng to be a man of God yet he hated Catholics. . Scotland will be a better place now he has gone and once Paisley goes it will be even better

+Quote Post
marina
post 26th Jun 2006, 01:09pm
Post #23

Mega City Key Holder
hi thomas, i was just reading back there and im not sure if your post (18) was aimed at me, if it was, to be honest i couldnt care less if theres a heaven or a hell cos the way i see it is that if i can manage to get through this life the best i can and without hurting anybody along the way and bringing up my kids the best way i can then ill have done pretty well and that will be enough for me

forgot to say im 35 (not that this should make any difference)

--------------------

+Quote Post
Thomas
post 26th Jun 2006, 03:58pm
Post #24

City Key Holder
And so mote it be....

--------------------
Exaltabo Te Domine

+Quote Post
sboyd
post 5th Jul 2006, 02:08pm
Post #25

Visitor
Member No.: 3,470
religion is the cause of war and hate among people and countries.........why.....this is only t'internet and there's people arguing about it already. i think everyone should believe in what they want but don't force it onto anybody else. i was brought up rc but my husband and children are c of e. at the end of the day as long as i can be a good person and bring up my children to be loving and not use the word 'hate' then i'll be happy.

cum an gie us a big hug!!!! smile.gif

+Quote Post
mitchell
post 6th Jul 2006, 12:10am
Post #26

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 2,377
Who's arguing. I dont see anyone having a rumpus!

+Quote Post
valleyboy38
post 27th Jul 2006, 04:32pm
Post #27

Lord Provost
Member No.: 219
I do not agree with the teachings of self appointed ministers such as Jack Glass and Ian Paisley who preach hatred towards the Catholic Church . I am 67 and from my childhood i was taught by my parents and learned people to love your fellow man no matter thier religion ; if every man would do the same what a different world it would be[ God Bless You All]

+Quote Post
marina
post 27th Jul 2006, 04:41pm
Post #28

Mega City Key Holder
i couldnt agree with you more

--------------------

+Quote Post
jaybee
post 27th Jul 2006, 04:58pm
Post #29

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 1,800
It is not only one sided, my dream used to be to lock Paisley and Bernadette in a cell and let them knock hell out of each other. That might cure their tongues.... I wonder who would have won?

This post has been edited by jaybee: 28th Jul 2006, 03:07pm

+Quote Post
klingon
post 15th Aug 2009, 04:23am
Post #30

Super Resident
Member No.: 4,815
QUOTE (JesusIsLord @ 3rd Mar 2004, 01:51pm) *
Please let me put the record straight regarding Pastor Jack Glass. I have been a member of Zion Baptist Church Calder Street Glasgow, for 17 years where I enjoyed the blessing of his exceptional ministry. Pastor Glass was a lovely man in every way as he spent his life striving to be more like Jesus Christ. I am still mourning greatly for my Pastor as he was more than just a great preacher, he was my spiritual father. I feel as though a part of me has died with him and his vision and influence will be with me till the day I die. All the pastor wanted was the nation won for Christ. He was a modern day prophet sent from God to root out, pull down to build and to plant. He did not tell the nation what they wanted to hear, he told them what they needed to hear, without regard for his own popularity. Like Jesus in his day, he was despised, hated, mocked and rendered an extremist and bigot. I am an ex-Roman Catholic and in the 17 years I knew him I can say that he really was a kind gentle man who did not despise Catholics but the Roman Catholic system where it was contrary to the word of God. When he mounted the pulpit he preached with the fire and authority of God, when off the pulpit he became this humble beautiful man who just overflowed with Christ likeness. When speaking to the pastor on a personal level there was a transference of his beautiful spirit that filled you with peace. You walked away feeling 10 feet tall.

In losing Pastor Jack Glass, we have not just lost a great preacher, I believe Scotland has lost its nations prophet. The Bible says a prophet is without honour in his own country, and our pastor was indeed this. The Pastor had his finger on the pulse of worldwide events which the bible describes as the end times. He believed that we are living in the last days.

The Pastor used to say "when I die, dont say I've gone, say I've arrived!" What a way to go, to pass into eternity having suppressed the wants and desires of the flesh and to have fed and nurtured ones spiritual side. He is now resting in the place he lived for. He did not live for this world or anything in it. He craved the world to come.

I will defend the reputation of Pastor Glass till the day I die. On the day of judgement those who have mocked this man through the media and conspired to miss-represent him will have to give an account for their actions before Almighty God. One of the things our pastor said in his final address to the nation was that Glasgow has rejected Christ and unfortunately God will have to punish it. I just hope God has mercy on us.

Sincerely

Paul Gilfeather

He was a horrible wee sectarian bigot who loved nothing more than hearing his own voice-I had the misfortune to be on the receiving end of one of his "rants" while going in to see "Life of Brian"-if he had had a sense of humour-which he emphatically did NOT-he would have noticed that the film firmly stated that it was in no way meant to be blasphemous or a treatise on Jesus Christ-who would have probably split his sides watching the movie!-listen to the final song-"Always look on the bright side of life"-a point which MR Glass-(he was never ordained into any church-just like his Irish bigmouth pal MR Paisley) had obviously sorely missed-Glasgow hasn't rejected Christ-(except for the Muslim and Sikh population!)-just rejected wee bigots!-sorry but good riddance!

--------------------
I hate two faced people-I don't know what face to punch first!

+Quote Post

4 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 >
Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th Sep 2017

All material in the site Glasgow Guide is copyright of the Glasgow Guide Organisation. This material is for your own private use only, and no part of the site may be reproduced, amended, modified, copied, or transmitted to third parties, by any means whatsoever without the prior written permission of the copyright owner. All rights reserved.

Glasgow Hotels: book cheap hotels in Glasgow online now.