Glasgow Guide Home

Whats On Glasgow Guide
  Glasgow What's On

Glasgow Reviews

Glasgow Gallery

Glasgow Links
Discuss | Guestbook | Postcard | News | Weather | Feedback | Search | About | What's New
Glasgow Guide Discussion Boards

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )                >> View Today's Topics <<

5 Pages V  « < 3 4 5  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Kelvin Dale Paper Mill, Same
*Vivien MacKay*
post 31st May 2011, 10:28am
Post #61

QUOTE (Judy Mills @ 30th Jul 2009, 08:53pm) *
I came across these posts by accident when looking at Kelvindale on Google maps - it awakened memories and a great deal of emotion - but so lovely - thank you. I can add some more as a child at the end of the 50s and early 60s my favourite auntie and uncle lived at 28 The Cottages - the one on the end opposite the loading bay for the mill - the side where the toilets were. My uncle - Arthur Higgins worked in the mill for a great many years until he became ill after too many woodbines around 1972. He was the lovliest kindest man and worked a hughe machine that stirred the paper and I think might have added the colour. I used to wait for him by the office where the men clocked in - especially on Thursdays -- payday. I am now 54 and live in the West Midlands - my aunt Kitty Higgins was Dad's only relative - they originated from Leven in Fife where we lived until 1963. We often walked back along the Kelvin to the weir and where the old bits of bridge are - I have a memory of my mum and dad telling me there were a few houses there and my aunt and uncle lived in the before the move to the cottages - they were often flooded - this would have been early to mid- fifties. Sadly I don't have any photos but have very clear memories - also of walks to feed the squirrels in Dawsholme Park and along the Kelvin to the Botanic Gardens - I loved the hothouses especially the round one with the pool. I still visit Scotland and am proud of my scottish blood my mum is English. Sadly my dad died at age 47 in 1969 and my aunt in 1984. What a trip down memory lane - thank you for the opportunity. Judy

Found this post by accident. We must be related as Uncle Arthur and Auntie Kitty were related to me. I am Annie and Jerry O'Shea's grandaughter. Recently moved back to this side of the city but don't recognise any of the old places. What a small world!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
**Christine**
post 28th Oct 2014, 09:22pm
Post #62

QUOTE (PHYLLIS NEESON @ 28th May 2007, 09:29pm) *
hi there, this is a picture of where i was born in number 41. i lived there with my mum and dad and brother Ian. My father George and his father worked in the papermill for many years. I have fond memories of my growing up there as it was a safe place to be.

phyllis neeson

Hi Ive just come across this site - I know this post is very old so not really expecting an answer...Phylliss are you related to Margaret Neeson

+Quote Post
**Christine**
post 29th Oct 2014, 11:16am
Post #63

QUOTE (PHYLLIS NEESON @ 28th May 2007, 09:29pm) *
hi there, this is a picture of where i was born in number 41. i lived there with my mum and dad and brother Ian. My father George and his father worked in the papermill for many years. I have fond memories of my growing up there as it was a safe place to be.

phyllis neeson

Hi Phyllis, are you related to Margaret Reid Neeson?

+Quote Post
*Guest*
post 11th Jan 2016, 11:17pm
Post #64

Just reminiscing and have read through all the posts. Interested to read of Wuillie Davidson. I worked in the laboratory from 1954 to 1961 minus two years when on national Service. Wuillie used to come down from the Finishing Dept every morning and afternoon for his tea breaks, the Lab was the only place he was allowed to smoke his pipe, and always on a Monday morning would tell us stories about the game he had refereed on Saturday. He was quite a big man with a real head of dark wavey hair going grey. The Cutting Room was next to the Laboratory and the Finishing Dept was on the floor above. The Chief Chemist was David Provan and his deputy was Harry Sherriff. Bill Stewart, John Rutherford (I think was his name), and Bert Whiteside, were the other lab staff. I know that Harry died some years ago but haven't heard of anyone else since I left. Bob Lambie was the Head Finisher, Bob Scorgie was General Manager succeeded by Ian McKechnie. All the best to any who remember!

+Quote Post
frankbuntain
post 21st Nov 2016, 11:25pm
Post #65

Settling In
Member No.: 3,412
I remember the Wedderburns they lived next door to the Neesons. I lived in 12 Kelvindale Cottages. The photo of 41 has been incorrectly identified as the cottages it is in fact Kelvindale Buildings. My Mothers whole family lived and worked in the mill. Their names were (Grandfather Willie Dowling. Uncle Willie Dowling, Mother Mary Dowling Married name Buntain Aunty Betty Dowling married name Meikle Sister Maureen Buntain Sister Elizabeth Buntain and myself Frank Buntain). My grandfather came from N Ireland to work with the mill horses he was a farrier. My uncle was a guillotine operator. My mother was a finisher. My aunt worked in the lab. My 2 sisters were overhaulers. I was a broke boy in the cutting room. It was a great place to grow up. If this helps to jog some memories I would like to hear them.
Attached image(s)
Attached Image

+Quote Post
frankbuntain
post 22nd Nov 2016, 09:41pm
Post #66

Settling In
QUOTE (Tom @ 3rd Sep 2004, 02:37am) *
After checking I believe the paper mill was called the Dawsholm Paper Mill

+Quote Post
frankbuntain
post 22nd Nov 2016, 09:46pm
Post #67

Settling In
You are both wrong. The Dawsholm Paper mill was further up Maryhill and was accessed by the road next to St Marys chaple just opposite the entrance to Maryhill Rd.

The Kelvindale Paper Mill was Edward Collins Paper Mill and was part of the Associated Paper Mills Group.

+Quote Post
frankbuntain
post 22nd Nov 2016, 09:53pm
Post #68

Settling In
Phyllis Neeson. I remember you and your brother Ian we all played together 'Doon the Dale' You and your family left the 'Buildings' and moved to Cadder around the late 50's early 60's. We used to play in the big house at the end of the cottages where I lived. In the next close to you were the Stallons 2 brothers and a sister Connie. If this brings back memories perhaps you can share them here.

+Quote Post
frankbuntain
post 22nd Nov 2016, 09:58pm
Post #69

Settling In
Vivien MacKay We lived right opposite your family. We were in No. 12.

+Quote Post
Stonefield
post 15th Feb 2017, 07:49pm
Post #70

Unpacking
Member No.: 7,461
My father, John Ainscough, worked as an industrial chemist in the laboratory in the Kelvindale Paper Mill between 1946 and 1951. We moved up to Glasgow after his demobilisation from the RAF in 1946 and lived in Stonefield Avenue. I remember walking with him to the mill on a number of occasions - I was just a small boy in those days. We left to go back to Lancashire when a better job in a sister mill came up in his home town of Horwich. I went back to Glasgow for a week in 2001 - 50 years after last seeing it all - a it was a nostalgic and fascinating experience.

+Quote Post
**Phyllis neeson**
post 3rd Aug 2017, 07:38pm
Post #71

QUOTE (frankbuntain @ 22nd Nov 2016, 09:53pm) *
Phyllis Neeson. I remember you and your brother Ian we all played together 'Doon the Dale' You and your family left the 'Buildings' and moved to Cadder around the late 50's early 60's. We used to play in the big house at the end of the cottages where I lived. In the next close to you were the Stallons 2 brothers and a sister Connie. If this brings back memories perhaps you can share them here.

+Quote Post

5 Pages V  « < 3 4 5
Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd Oct 2017

All material in the site Glasgow Guide is copyright of the Glasgow Guide Organisation. This material is for your own private use only, and no part of the site may be reproduced, amended, modified, copied, or transmitted to third parties, by any means whatsoever without the prior written permission of the copyright owner. All rights reserved.

Glasgow Hotels: book cheap hotels in Glasgow online now.